PDA

View Full Version : Capps - "Shoulder Not Good"

jorgenswest
06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
ESPN 1500 reports that Capps shoulder is "not good"

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Matt_Capps_shoulder_not_good_after_lowvelocity_out ing_against_Reds062412

When will the Twins learn to use the DL? If the rest is more than a few days give them two weeks.

It looks like Perkins is the closer for a while. Capps may go to DL. Gardenhire also implied on his show that Duensing will get more starts. Will the Twins need to bring up a lefty for the pen. Matt Maloney, Luke French, Tyler Robertson and Caleb Thielbar are in Rochester. I'd like to see Robertson get some time. Thielbar doesn't have very many AA/AAA innings.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Super, we lose the one guy who could have actually brought us back a decent prospect in a trade.

Brandon
06-24-2012, 11:06 AM
I guess we'll have to pick up his option now so he can come back next year and show us he can be good.

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2012, 11:12 AM
And the fact that he pitched yesterday means they can't even backdate the DL to his previous outing - that was a week sitting on the bench totally wasted.

Nick Nelson
06-24-2012, 12:15 PM
If Capps hits the DL, who comes up? Oliveros and Slama are both injured, I think. Could Guerra get a look?

greengoblinrulz
06-24-2012, 12:30 PM
it would be Tyler Robertson....who's been pretty good in ROC, esp vs LHH.
Looks like PJ Walters is also ready & will start a game next SAT in the KC DH. Will that mean Duensing back to pen after 1 more start?? Would they waste Liam Hendriks by sending him back?? He's done all he can in AAA, let him take his lumps.
Again, they should just dump Jeff Gray & get DGuerra up here to start getting some experience.

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Guerra has had a few rough outings recently. Waldrop has looked pretty good, now that he's pitching again.

I think they'll give Duensing at least one more start - there's a period of 10 days with 11 games coming up. They'll need 5 starters plus a spot start.

mhanson93
06-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Super, we lose the one guy who could have actually brought us back a decent prospect in a trade.

I wouldn't hold your breath, I doubt any other organizations are stupid enough to give us their version of Wilson Ramos for him.

notoriousgod71
06-24-2012, 12:54 PM
The correct title of this thread should be: Shoulder- "Capps not Good"

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath, I doubt any other organizations are stupid enough to give us their version of Wilson Ramos for him.

You'd be surprised - it is statistically proven that the collective IQ's of clubs in contention drops proportional to how close it is to July 31st.

USAFChief
06-24-2012, 01:20 PM
It boggles the mind. A pitcher can't throw for a week, but they have to put him out on the mound for an inning to confirm it? How is that possible? Is there some difference between throwing in the bullpen and throwing on the mound? How do you discover this ​during a game?

Badsmerf
06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
It boggles the mind. A pitcher can't throw for a week, but they have to put him out on the mound for an inning to confirm it? How is that possible? Is there some difference between throwing in the bullpen and throwing on the mound? How do you discover this ​during a game?

Is this a rhetorical question? Obviously they didn't believe him and made him be a man and try to work through it out there.

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Is this a rhetorical question? Obviously they didn't believe him and made him be a man and try to work through it out there.

Are we sure it was the Twins pushing Capps out when he didn't want to play? From what I've heard, it's the opposite - Capps wanted to play and it was the Twins decision to hold him out last week - probably justifiably we now learn.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Ramos > Good prospect > Decent Prospect

Badsmerf
06-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Are we sure it was the Twins pushing Capps out when he didn't want to play? From what I've heard, it's the opposite - Capps wanted to play and it was the Twins decision to hold him out last week - probably justifiably we now learn.
It doesn't really matter. For the sake of my argument about the ineptitude of the training staff, either way is a strike against them.

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Agreed that nobody looks good in this type of case.

Have to wonder if part of the reason was that they didn't have much confidence in the Rochester roster right now.

Badsmerf
06-24-2012, 01:55 PM
I doubt it. There are enough guys knocking on the door that having someone come up for a short period wouldn't be detrimental to any of them.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-24-2012, 02:00 PM

Apparently he didn't feel "sore" until today. They just need to hurry up and DL him.

greengoblinrulz
06-24-2012, 02:16 PM
if he sits for 2 wks.....still got 3 weeks till deadline. Being careful may be better. Wont have any chances for blown saves

stringer bell
06-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Reports are that Duensing will start again. With Perkins committed to the eighth and ninth inning in Capps absence, the Twins will probably need a lefthanded reliever. It is ironic that a couple weeks ago, it appeared the Twins had a surplus of relief pitchers ready to step in--now they have Guerra ineffective, Slama injured, Oliveros injured. It looks like the options are Waldrop and Robertson and they really need to lefty.

Thrylos
06-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Re-signing Capps to an above market contract and losing 2 draft picks in the process is another feather on the cap of the interim GM. Not that this would have made much difference this season, but losing the 2 draft picks could hurt (more) in the future. I don't get how the Twins are evaluating players, esp. when re-signing their own free agents.

Not sure who will come up. Maybe nobody. Pavano (another great re-sign, btw) might decide to get off the DL one of these years. They could have up to 26 players in the upcoming doubleheader and DicknBert indicated that a AAA pitcher (Cole DeVries anyone?) will come up to start one of the 2 games.

The only issue I have with Duensing starting is that he is limited to 60 pitchers so you really have both him and Swarzak out of the game for a while. Other than that, the 2013 rotation projects to be such a mess, that it would not hurt to have tryouts during the season. Malloney has been stinking up the place in AAA, I do not see how they recall him. Might be a nice thing for Robertson, but that would make his clock ticking...

jorgenswest
06-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Re-signing Capps to an above market contract and losing 2 draft picks in the process is another feather on the cap of the interim GM. Not that this would have made much difference this season, but losing the 2 draft picks could hurt (more) in the future. I don't get how the Twins are evaluating players, esp. when re-signing their own free agents.

Not sure who will come up. Maybe nobody. Pavano (another great re-sign, btw) might decide to get off the DL one of these years. They could have up to 26 players in the upcoming doubleheader and DicknBert indicated that a AAA pitcher (Cole DeVries anyone?) will come up to start one of the 2 games.

The only issue I have with Duensing starting is that he is limited to 60 pitchers so you really have both him and Swarzak out of the game for a while. Other than that, the 2013 rotation projects to be such a mess, that it would not hurt to have tryouts during the season. Malloney has been stinking up the place in AAA, I do not see how they recall him. Might be a nice thing for Robertson, but that would make his clock ticking...

It would have been one pick for Capps if another team signed him to a major league contract by a given date. I would have taken the one pick though.

I am not sure what you mean by Robertson's clock. Arbitration? The Twins should have no concern about a 24 year old reliever getting arbitration a year earlier. It will be good news if Robertson plays long enough to get that opportunity. At this point, it is unlikely he will have a significant major league career.

IdahoPilgrim
06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
I think Duensing being limited to 60 was just for that first start, because he wasn't used to pitching more than a couple of innnings per game. They're going to increase his pitch count as he goes.

Thrylos
06-24-2012, 05:46 PM
It would have been one pick for Capps if another team signed him to a major league contract by a given date. I would have taken the one pick though.

I am not sure what you mean by Robertson's clock. Arbitration? The Twins should have no concern about a 24 year old reliever getting arbitration a year earlier. It will be good news if Robertson plays long enough to get that opportunity. At this point, it is unlikely he will have a significant major league career.

2 picks. Type A like Cuddyer... Big mistake by the interim.

Yeah I do mean the arbitration clock. And I am more optimistic about Robertson than you are :)

jorgenswest
06-24-2012, 05:55 PM
2 picks. Type A like Cuddyer... Big mistake by the interim.

After the new CBA, Capps was reclassified as a "modified Type-B" and the Twins would have received a sandwich pick had he been signed by another team.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Mackey_New_CBA_will_help_Twins_earn_compensation_f or_Matt_Capps112211

Again, I would have taken the one pick over signing Capps. I hope the Twins do not worry about any 24 year old and arbitration, especially a LOOGY where future compensation will not be significant.

mnfireman
06-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I think the team should have erred on the side of safety and had the MRI done immediately. Not to take the trainers side, because their track record is not very good the last couple of years, but if the player is not forthcoming about how much pain he is in or what motions hurt or anything along these lines, then the teams hands are tied while the player gets "a couple of days off to figure it out". Being a tough guy is a good thing, but if your hurt admit it.

Cody Christie
06-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Capps did pitch through some injuries last year even if he didn't pitch through them very well. The Twins and Capps probably thought he could fight through the injury. Before this most recent outing, he seemed to think that he should still be used as the closer and he was ticked that Perkins got the save the other day. He didn't even talk to reporters that day.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-25-2012, 08:32 AM

No, we would not have gotten two picks for Matt Capps. We would have gotten 1 because he was not a type A. You can certainly make the argument that they should have taken the pick, but if Capps comes back healthy he should be able to net us a decent enough prospect where at the end of the day it is a wash. Everybody hates Capps but the guy has been pretty dependable as a closer this year prior to the shoulder issue. It was far from the worst signing in the world and the Twins had gotten there moneys worth on him up to this point.

Worrying about an arbitration clock for a guy like Tyler Robertson is completely pointless. Duensing will also prob not be limited to 60 pitches each start from here on out, they limited him to 60 his first start since he didn't really have time to stretch out.

You bitch about the Pavano signing, but it really wasn't that bad as he has consistently given us 220 IP of around 4.30 ERA pitching, that is definitely worth the 8 million we are paying him, it sucks he is hurt and all but it is what it is.

Brock Beauchamp
06-25-2012, 08:45 AM
You bitch about the Pavano signing, but it really wasn't that bad as he has consistently given us 220 IP of around 4.30 ERA pitching, that is definitely worth the 8 million we are paying him, it sucks he is hurt and all but it is what it is.

The Pavano signing was a good one if you have two better pitchers in front of him... Something akin to a Scott Baker and a Francisco Liriano.

The problem is that those two completely collapsed, not that the Twins signed Pavano. Pavano was a great acquisition and a decent signing. The type of move a contending team makes when they need to round out their roster.

Shane Wahl
06-25-2012, 10:34 AM
I have away for awhile, so this is late . . . but Brian Duensing starting is absolutely ludicrous.

jctwins
06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
This training staff fricking blows. I hate this team right now for so many reasons.

DPJ
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
No, we would not have gotten two picks for Matt Capps. We would have gotten 1 because he was not a type A. You can certainly make the argument that they should have taken the pick, but if Capps comes back healthy he should be able to net us a decent enough prospect where at the end of the day it is a wash. Everybody hates Capps but the guy has been pretty dependable as a closer this year prior to the shoulder issue. It was far from the worst signing in the world and the Twins had gotten there moneys worth on him up to this point.

Yeah cause 90+ loss teams totally need 5 million wrapped into 70 innings, that's really what smart rebuilding teams should do. Punt draft a pick and pay mediocre relief arms 5 million dollars.

fetch
06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
After the new CBA, Capps was reclassified as a "modified Type-B" and the Twins would have received a sandwich pick had he been signed by another team.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Mackey_New_CBA_will_help_Twins_earn_compensation_f or_Matt_Capps112211

Again, I would have taken the one pick over signing Capps. I hope the Twins do not worry about any 24 year old and arbitration, especially a LOOGY where future compensation will not be significant.

agreed with all of this 100%