PDA

View Full Version : Byron Buxton

Jeremy Nygaard
06-21-2012, 10:32 AM
Much has been - and will continue to be - written about 2012 #2 overall pick (but owner of the highest bonus at $6m) Byron Buxton. I'll start this thread off with links to a bunch of different stories about the prospect who is expected to make his professional debut in the next 3-5 days.

Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-school/awards/player-of-the-year/2012/2613573.html) names Buck the HS POY

Video from BA (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2012/04/game-report-byron-buxton-with-video/)

News Press article (http://www.news-press.com/article/20120620/SPORTS/306200032/0/NEWS01/Passion-drives-Twins-top-draft-pick-Buxton?odyssey=nav%7Chead) (following initial press conference in FM)

Naples Daily (http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jun/19/minors-twins-will-ease-top-pick-buxton-into-pro/)

CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-400_162-57452257/twins-top-pick-byron-buxton-gets-$6m-bonus-topping-joe-mauer/)

KSTP interview (http://kstp.com/sports/stories/S2653610.shtml?cat=7) with Joe Schmit (would love to read a transcipt... listen closely as Buxton says "spring training and all that.... what?!)

Jeremy Nygaard
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Buxton made his pro debut yesterday and went 0-for-4 with a K.

Today was more of the same: F9, F8, 6-4 FC (and made it as far as 2B), F9.

Though it's far too early to be alarmed, it is encouraging that he's getting wood on the ball and putting it in play. It's hard to be sure what kind of fly outs these were, but it's a much better sign that a bunch of 1-3s or 4-3s or Ks.

Twins Fan From Afar
06-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Yea, it's way, way too early to be making anything of these games. Like months too early.

This is an extremely crazy time in Buxton's life. I know from talking to some of the Rock Cats guys that, at the beginning of the season, their housing, car and life situations are all in major states of flux. And to have to go play games and treat baseball as a full-time job on top of everything is probably pretty stressful for an 18 year old (though I'm sure the $6 million in the bank account makes things just a little bit better!).

I'm just happy the Twins have him in uniform and getting playing time just a few weeks after the draft.

righty8383
06-23-2012, 12:52 PM
I would like to think that some of his fly outs are pretty well hit

glunn
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
In light of his pitching success in high school and his velocity, I wish that they would let him pitch a few games just to see what he can do.

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-23-2012, 04:00 PM
In light of his pitching success in high school and his velocity, I wish that they would let him pitch a few games just to see what he can do.

No way, they want him focusing 100% of his attention on hitting/fielding, but mainly hitting.

Seth Stohs
07-07-2012, 12:15 PM
This morning in the GCL, Buxton went 2-4 with his first professional home run. He also stole a base.

Mr. Ed
07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Buxton left the game after stealing a base in GCL's game today. Play-by-plays says injured leg.

Rosterman
07-09-2012, 12:56 PM
For $6 million, you can get a pretty nice apartment, or live in a hotel while you are on-site. Hell, you can buy a nice little condo in Ft. Myers and rent out other rooms to players. Have your own swimming pool and a pool table in the dining room. The minors can be a pain (does Byron go to Eliza). ut when you are young and get to play baseball all day, you basically need a nice locker room and a sleeping room.

Seth Stohs
07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Buxton left the game after stealing a base in GCL's game today. Play-by-plays says injured leg.

Pulled Hamstring.

greengoblinrulz
07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Better than broken ankle i guess....hopefully more of a tweak

righty8383
07-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Buxton back in the lineup today. Walked in his 1st PA

Mr. Ed
07-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Wimmers lasted 2/3IP 4H/3R/BB

Mr. Ed
07-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Buxton rbi triple in 2nd at bat. Hitting 3rd today.

Mr. Ed
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
3 run HR for Buxton today in GCL Win. #2

twinswon1991
07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Bux is probably 5 years from the bigs but it will be fun to watch him grow. If he can develop the hit tool, he could be a star.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Since Buxton returned from hamstring injury:

5 games (5 game hitting streak): 5-for-14 (.357), 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 7 K. Today's game (in which he led it off with a home run) is still underway.

What also shouldn't be forgotten in all of this is that your typical high-drafted rookies (up until this year) probably wouldn't be getting into games until August, or mid-August, at the earliest.

If I was running the system, I would promote Buxton to Elizabethton now that's he settled down (or probably after another week or two) and let him enjoy playing baseball under the lights and into the playoffs.

glunn
07-27-2012, 02:02 PM
If I was running the system, I would promote Buxton to Elizabethton now that's he settled down (or probably after another week or two) and let him enjoy playing baseball under the lights and into the playoffs.

That makes very good sense to me.

mike wants wins
07-27-2012, 02:09 PM
As long as he's not in Elizabethton past June of next year.....but if they slow track him, I will continue my disgust at this "process".

greengoblinrulz
07-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree. They allowed Sano to be in Beloit at 19....Buxton should absolutely be there next yr. Hicks & Revere spent their 19 yr old seasons in Beloit also, so that should be where he ends up. Cant imagine how strong ELIZ would be with him also, but they may need to promote an OF to get a spot. Didnt think about the lights, but thats a big adjustment also.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Revere and Hicks both joined Beloit after the weather warmed up. I would love for Buxton to continue that trend. An outfield of Walker, Buxton, Kepler at one level and Arcia, Hicks, Benson a few levels ahead is worth smiling about.

CDog
07-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Since Buxton returned from hamstring injury:

5 games (5 game hitting streak): 5-for-14 (.357), 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 7 K. Today's game (in which he led it off with a home run) is still underway.

Do I remember correctly that he hit only 3 HR's in his final high school season? Obvious conclusion: GCL is easier than high school baseball.

greengoblinrulz
07-27-2012, 03:05 PM
there have also been a plethora of other 19 yr olds to spend the entire year in Low A from start. No question that a #2 pick should be one of em. Sure is showing the Twins that he should with his play. Very happy & yes that would be a massive Beloit OF, but where does Romy Jimenez fit into that OF. Leads the App Lg in almost everything. Someone will need to make a jump, but having 4 guys makes me leary MN would keep Buxton out till June

Mr. Ed
07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
there have also been a plethora of other 19 yr olds to spend the entire year in Low A from start. No question that a #2 pick should be one of em. Sure is showing the Twins that he should with his play. Very happy & yes that would be a massive Beloit OF, but where does Romy Jimenez fit into that OF. Leads the App Lg in almost everything. Someone will need to make a jump, but having 4 guys makes me leary MN would keep Buxton out till June

I think he's wasting time at GCL. Because they're the Twins,they're likely to start in Eliz next year. Also a waste of time. Kepler should be in Beloit now.

But they keep room for guys who have no shot,like Liddle. Move Roberts to FM, Kepler to Beloit and Buxton to Eliz now.

greengoblinrulz
07-28-2012, 01:10 PM
First 8 gms 2-31 2runs 8k 3bb hbp 0/1sb
Next 12gms 12/35 8runs 3doubles 1triple 3HR 8rbi 14k 5bb 2/3sb for a .342/.477/.743 line (thru Sat 28th)

Jeremy Nygaard
07-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Back in CF today and had a double. That's six extra base hits in seven games since his return from injury.

Jeremy Nygaard
07-31-2012, 09:48 PM
While DH'ing, Buxton drilled a triple to center field. Hit streak's at 8 (all one-hit games), seven of eight hits have gone for extra bases.

In his last 10 games, he's hitting .303 with an OPS 1.198.

greengoblinrulz
08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
kid isnt playing today.....is he ill/hamstring acting up or is there a promotion??? Hope they just dont think he needs a day off

jokin
08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Buxton continues to produce, his impressive line for Aug.3: 1 HR, 1 3B, 1 W, 3 R in 4 ABs.

Questions for the MiLB experts. The GCL regular season ends 8-25, E-Town on 8-28, Beloit on 9-3, Fort Myers on 9-2. What is/are the next move or moves for Buxton for this year, given the scheduling windows for the various teams next up the ladder rungs? His recent numbers indicate he is beginning to get it and is ready for more challenges before this year is finished. The September call-up door is soon opening that will create a domino effect for open roster spots, especially for the extended season for those teams that are in playoff contention (NB, Beloit). Do the Twins push him and take advantage of these playing opportunities for Buxton or bring him along more cautiously?

maxisagod
08-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Questions for the MiLB experts. The GCL regular season ends 8-25, E-Town on 8-28, Beloit on 9-3, Fort Myers on 9-2. What is/are the next move or moves for Buxton for this year, given the scheduling windows for the various teams next up the ladder rungs? His recent numbers indicate he is beginning to get it and is ready for more challenges before this year is finished. The September call-up door is soon opening that will create a domino effect for open roster spots, especially for the extended season for those teams that are in playoff contention (NB, Beloit). Do the Twins push him and take advantage of these playing opportunities for Buxton or bring him along more cautiously?

If it's clear that the gulf coast Twins are not making the playoffs and Appy Twins are, they might promote Buxton for their playoff push. It's more likely they have him skip Appy next year and bring him up to Low A in may or June. But that's not even a given. If you promote Buxton that means someone else sits and Etown outfield is full of talent. a large playoff domino effect is unlikely. The real question is who from etown is talented and mature enough to skip low a and go to high A next year? creating space for Buxton or Dereck Rodriguez in low A.

birdwatcher
08-04-2012, 04:03 PM
What a great problem to have. They've been playing Candido Pimento at 2B, a la Rosario, to free up room in ETown for Kepler, Jiminez, Walker, and Rhodes; Rodriguez and Buxton in GCL, and the two best players on the Dominican team, like Pimentel and Jiminez were last year, are center fielders. And there are some at least marginal prospects in place at Beloit and Fort Myers: Roberts, Ortiz, Williams, Concalves, and Morales. Nice to think about not having Mark Dolenc starting in the AA outfield.

But I have a hunch Buxton will shoot up the system. He might be that good.

greengoblinrulz
08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Last 17gms 16/53 (.302) 14runs 4doubles 3triples 4HR (.717slgg) 16k 8bb 2hbp (.413OBP) 3/5sbs
11 of 16 hits for XBases....sweet.
The kid is for real....but anyone checking on him & just seeing his season stats dont realize how good he's been

jokin
08-04-2012, 09:12 PM
What a great problem to have. They've been playing Candido Pimento at 2B, a la Rosario, to free up room in ETown for Kepler, Jiminez, Walker, and Rhodes; Rodriguez and Buxton in GCL, and the two best players on the Dominican team, like Pimentel and Jiminez were last year, are center fielders. And there are some at least marginal prospects in place at Beloit and Fort Myers: Roberts, Ortiz, Williams, Concalves, and Morales. Nice to think about not having Mark Dolenc starting in the AA outfield.

But I have a hunch Buxton will shoot up the system. He might be that good.

That's along the lines of what I am hoping for. I know the Twins don't usually push guys too quickly, even extremely talented ones. If he could get his little look at E-Town this year and go through both A-level teams next year, he could be at New Britain in 2014 and possibly ready for roster addition and September call-up in 2014. Is a Trout/Bryce Harper-like call-up from AAA and ascendancy to greatness in early-to-mid-2015 too much for a long-suffering Twins fan to ask?

greengoblinrulz
08-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Both Aaron Hicks & Ben Revere (first rounders) started their careers in GCL and started their next yr in Beloit. This is what they will do with Buxton. Question is whether he will start the yr there or pick up the yr in May/June.

drjim
08-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Both Aaron Hicks & Ben Revere (first rounders) started their careers in GCL and started their next yr in Beloit. This is what they will do with Buxton. Question is whether he will start the yr there or pick up the yr in May/June.

Small point but Hicks didn't start in Beloit until May, so he did have some time in extended spring before starting full season ball.

I think they are a little more aggressive with Buxton because he is better, was the #2 pick, and is a little on the older side for his high school class. Makes sense to push him.

righty8383
08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Anyone know why Byron Buxton was pulled by the 2nd inning tonight?

jokin
08-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Buxton steals home tonight, adds another SB, goes 2-4 plus a BB, raising his average at E-Town to .286.

He's starting to come on strong, just like he did in the GCL. His last 10 games (coincident with his promotion to the lead-off spot) slash is awesome:
385/489/605/1094

rickyhawaii
08-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Impressively Buxton's been perfect on stolen bases in the App League. Curious if the GCL coaches are more strict on sb than Etown.. It's going to be fun and see how Buxton develops. Like how he's not just a hacker so far and taking walks. He has a ton of potential, can only hope for a strong Twins line up in the future. Buxton, Hicks, Sano, Rosario, Kepler, and then some others.. would be cool for an all in house prospect team. Even though i think teams have to make trades for prospects..

greengoblinrulz
08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
finished the ELIZ season
21gms 77ABs .286/.368/.429 16runs doubles triple HR 6rbi 15k 8bb 7/7sb's

Jeremy Nygaard
09-10-2012, 08:43 PM
In Jim Callis's latest AskBA, he lists Buxton as the 9th best prospect in the minors (excluding players on September call-ups).

Jeremy Nygaard
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL6ExnC-7Us

Pretty good two-strike swing.

Larsbars08
04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Buxton's currently 1-2 with a homerun and a walk tonight. He's absolutely tearing the cover off the ball right now. It's still way to early, but if he continues hitting at a torrid pace, how long before he has to move up a level. Obviously a lot can still go wrong, and one week of baseball is a tiny sample size, but its hard not to look at his early season stats and dream of bigger things.

drivlikejehu
04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Clearly, extremely small sample size. But, the main drawbacks people talked about were Buxton being raw due to weak competition, and questions about how well he would translate his raw power to game situations. So the early returns are particularly intriguing.

Having said that, I think there is no chance at all the Twins promote him. The Twins will let Buxton destroy the Midwest League completely if that's how it plays out.

Jeremy Nygaard
04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
At 20, so slightly older than Buxton now, Arcia went 352/420/704 in 20 games as a DH (all in April) before going to Fort Myers. His situation was a little different, he underwent elbow surgery and rehabbed in FM before staying there. But not a terrible comparison.

Optimistically, I could see Buxton getting to Fort Myers after the MWL All-Star break. If he performs well there, he could start next year in AA and be a phone call away from the show.

(That being said, he just struck out for the 3rd time tonight and is now batting only .500. It's freezing cold though and he's probably never swung a bat at this temperature before, so... get used to it!)

Seth Stohs
04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
He's very patient at the plate. Tommy Watkins said that he's one of those guys that is comfortable with 2 strikes. Means he'll strikeout a lot, but patience is huge.

pioneers3
04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
The Midwest League is know as a pitching league, lot of big parks, cold weather early, sometimes into June.

nicksaviking
04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
He's very patient at the plate. Tommy Watkins said that he's one of those guys that is comfortable with 2 strikes. Means he'll strikeout a lot, but patience is huge.

It doesn't make me any less optimistic but Hicks is demonstrating this trait with negative consequences currently. Did these guys have Joe Mauer posters on their walls growing up?