PDA

View Full Version : Byron Buxton article

gunnarthor
06-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Good piece at baseball america: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/high-school/awards/player-of-the-year/2012/2613573.html

Didn't see it posted elsewhere but if it was, my apologies.

Seth Stohs
06-19-2012, 11:41 AM
We'll re-open the Adopt-a-Prospect on Thursday and someone will be able to adopt Buxton and be sure to post the link to this article in there as well... Thanks for finding and sharing.

Mr. Ed
06-19-2012, 11:50 AM
No Buxton again today.

JB_Iowa
06-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the link. Enjoyed getting several different perspectives him.

James
06-19-2012, 12:46 PM
That was a good read. Thanks for posting that.

glunn
06-20-2012, 12:17 AM
After reading that article and others, I wonder whether it might make sense to see if he can become a #1 pitcher, then move him to another position if the pitching does not work out.

154 strikeouts in 81 innings seems great even in high school. And he was clutch -- pitched a complete game to win the state title, striking out 18 batters.

The Twins are loaded with toolsy outfielders in the lower levels -- Hicks, Benson, Arcia, Morales, and Kepler. Why not take a year to explore whether Buxton could become the ace who they really need??? And I am not aware of any rule that would bar him from playing as a position player while he is trying to become a successful pitcher -- he is amazingly athletic and seems resilient enough to play in the field once or twice between starts.

gunnarthor
06-20-2012, 08:15 AM
After reading that article and others, I wonder whether it might make sense to see if he can become a #1 pitcher, then move him to another position if the pitching does not work out.

154 strikeouts in 81 innings seems great even in high school. And he was clutch -- pitched a complete game to win the state title, striking out 18 batters.

The Twins are loaded with toolsy outfielders in the lower levels -- Hicks, Benson, Arcia, Morales, and Kepler. Why not take a year to explore whether Buxton could become the ace who they really need??? And I am not aware of any rule that would bar him from playing as a position player while he is trying to become a successful pitcher -- he is amazingly athletic and seems resilient enough to play in the field once or twice between starts.

I read another article but scouts don't see him as a pitcher like they did with Hicks (who threw high 90s).