PDA

View Full Version : Does Nishi make this team?

John Bonnes
02-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I loved this comment by LaVelle:

4. Tsuyoshi Nishioka. What to do with Nishi? Is he a pinch hitter? No. Is he a late-inning defensive replacement? No. Then how in the heck can he make the team as a utility player?

My thoughts exactly. But the question raised on the last podcast was: then who is the utility infielder? It isn't going to be Dozier; he'll play everyday. Florimon? Do they really have another shortstop on the roster?

Seth Stohs
02-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I know Gardy doesn't like to do it, but Casilla could shift over to SS with Hughes or someone going to 2B.

John Bonnes
02-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Or, for that matter, Plouffe could fill in if necessary. So if they wanted to bring north another infielder or outfieldr (or even a bat for the bench), they certainly could do it.

Seth Stohs
02-19-2012, 03:13 AM
I would guess that Nishioka makes the roster... but it's the same thing as the Butera situation. You've got guys who can get you through a game at SS (Plouffe, Casilla, etc.) and C (Doumit)... if there was an injury, you could get Dozier or Florimon or Nishioka to the Twins the next day, or you could get Butera or Rivera or Towles the next day. I'd rather fill the bench with someone useful. Maybe a big pinch-hitting option or something (not that they have options... Burroughs? Pearce?)

TwinTalker
02-20-2012, 07:57 AM
Nishi's signing was a big swing and a miss by the front office. He makes the club -- not because he should but because they are hoping that he does something to help justify their work in the land of the rising sun.

Twins Fan From Afar
02-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Unfortunately, I think he does make this team. Not based on merit and athletic ability, but on the fact that I don't think the organization has the guts to send him down to AAA and pay him $3 million to play at Rochester. It would be a full admission of their mistake in signing him, and I just don't see it happening.

twinkiesfan11
02-20-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm not willing to write Nishioka off entirely yet, he was considered a decent signing at the time and put up some useful enough numbers in spring training last year (small sample I know). I think it's fair to attribute some of the awful play to the culture adjustment, the injury and the god-awful play of the entire team. That being said, I'd prefer to see Nishi start the season in Rochester to get regular playing time. Give him time and reps to improve and the organization an opportunity to prove this signing wasn't a total bust.

StormJH1
02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
(First post - love the new site and the Gleeman & The Geek Podcast!!!)

Nishioka's going to make the team. The guy was considered an elite defender in Japan. Last year was an unmitigated disaster for him, but it's only Year 2 and they made a pretty substantial investment in him, so maybe if you don't have him in a high pressure starting role right away, we can begin to develop some confidence in him and (more importantly) he'll get some confidence in himself. He can "play" SS and 2B, and with no Tolbert or Punto, we really don't have another guy that does that. No, I don't think you use him as a defensive "replacement" early in the year, but it's not unforeseeable that he could calm down and get to that type of role in the future.

Frankly, if we're in a lot of games where we're even considering putting in a defensive replacement to protect a lead, this is a problem I would be happy to deal with.

John Bonnes
02-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Reading Jesse Lund's well-done interview with Rob Antony, two things stood out regarding Nishi:

1) Antony says the $3M won't play into the decision on whether to keep him on the roster.
2) Everyone on this team seems to cling to his spring training performance last year. They view that as the player they were getting, and the busted leg ruined it. I gotta say, I think this is delusional. I remember he had a decent BA in ST last year, but even the week before he was hurt, he looked totally overmatched out there. It might take a crummy spring training for the organization to come to terms that he needs some minor league time.

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Over 20 million dollars spend on utility infielders with Punto's bad 2 year deal and now the awful Nishioka contract, in recent years.

For a team working on a 'budget', bad use of resources.

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Lack of organizational depth at the top level is killing the Twins.

Every year they're looking for middle infielders. And still can't get the guys to the top level to help.

Dozier is the latest candidate,and hopefully he'll get there. Because there is still a large gap to cover with the rest of the SS candidates from AA down.

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Reading Jesse Lund's well-done interview with Rob Antony, two things stood out regarding Nishi:

1) Antony says the $3M won't play into the decision on whether to keep him on the roster.
2) Everyone on this team seems to cling to his spring training performance last year. They view that as the player they were getting, and the busted leg ruined it. I gotta say, I think this is delusional. I remember he had a decent BA in ST last year, but even the week before he was hurt, he looked totally overmatched out there. It might take a crummy spring training for the organization to come to terms that he needs some minor league time.

Totally agree.
Completely overmatched last year, and given his weak approach from the left side, I expect more of the same.

StormJH1
02-20-2012, 09:47 AM

Interesting points. But while part of me hopes you are right, two things lead me to cling to my initial position, which is that they try him out again this year:

(1) I expect that he would look pretty good in Spring Training. He's been working down there days before the pitchers and catchers even arrived. And I have to think he looks good fundamentally in practice and beating up on AA-level pitchers in front of 1,000 people. Nishioka's problem, to me, seemed to be that he was just completely overwhelmed by the spectacle of a Major League Baseball game. I think Gardy knew it, I think the fans knew it, and not only is there no way of predicting that happening based on past performance, but I don't know how you fix it.

(2) This team's M.O. is not necessarily to cut and run from mistakes when they swing and miss. They usually stick out a little bit, or compound the error. Gomez got a second year. Delmon got two years before his mirage of a "breakout" year in 2010. And I think Matt Capps is the best example here, because about 90% of the blogging/media community viewed Capps for Ramos as a sunk cost, but rather than dumping him for another compensatory pick and picking a cheaper relief option that would at least be a new face for the fans to hate on, they brought him back.

Nick Nelson
02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
2) Everyone on this team seems to cling to his spring training performance last year. They view that as the player they were getting, and the busted leg ruined it. I gotta say, I think this is delusional. I remember he had a decent BA in ST last year, but even the week before he was hurt, he looked totally overmatched out there.
Indeed. When I was down in Ft. Myers last year, Nishioka was one of the players I was really excited to check out, and I came away thoroughly underwhelmed. I'm not a scout, but it seemed obvious even to me that -- speaking strictly from a skills standpoint -- this guy didn't have what it took to be a major-leaguer. Even in batting practice he barely hit any hard drives. I'd love to see him turn things around this year but I have a hard time seeing it.

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Indeed. When I was down in Ft. Myers last year, Nishioka was one of the players I was really excited to check out, and I came away thoroughly underwhelmed. I'm not a scout, but it seemed obvious even to me that -- speaking strictly from a skills standpoint -- this guy didn't have what it took to be a major-leaguer. Even in batting practice he barely hit any hard drives. I'd love to see him turn things around this year but I have a hard time seeing it.

This is why I wonder what the heck the Twins saw in Yoshi when they scouted him in the first place. Did they only watch him on good days batting RH?

Thrylos
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I think that Nishoka will have to prove himself in ST and the Twins need to find a way to help him gain his confidence back. He was terrible last season, but had a brocken leg a week into the season and switched positions. He also had a 9 game hitting streak in early August. It might actually help him to start in Rochester for a month or so and get his act together there... I seriously see him competing for the last bench position with players like Mastroianni (Hughes, Plouffe and a C are locks in my mind)

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I think that Nishoka will have to prove himself in ST and the Twins need to find a way to help him gain his confidence back. He was terrible last season, but had a brocken leg a week into the season and switched positions. He also had a 9 game hitting streak in early August. It might actually help him to start in Rochester for a month or so and get his act together there... I seriously see him competing for the last bench position with players like Mastroianni (Hughes, Plouffe and a C are locks in my mind)

I still don't realistically see a need for Matroianni, unless Span is out for concussions.
Another C is also a complete waste of roster space. Doumit cannot be THAT bad.

Unless

Morneau starts on the DL
Mauer has to play first more because of name-your weakness.

Nicholas Mueller
02-20-2012, 11:30 AM
If he stinks in Spring Training, I wonder if we could trade him to the Boston Red Sox. If I remember correctly Bobby Valentine was in love with him.

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
If he stinks in Spring Training, I wonder if we could trade him to the Boston Red Sox. If I remember correctly Bobby Valentine was in love with him.

Straight up trade for Punto :cool:

Westgaard66
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
i say trade him regardless...the Twins don't need him.

John Bonnes
02-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Over 20 million dollars spend on utility infielders with Punto's bad 2 year deal and now the awful Nishioka contract, in recent years.

I'll throw this out, too - they paid a LOT more for Carroll than I thought he would draw as a free agent, especially for a 2-year contract. If that 38-year-old breaks down, or just can't handle things defensively or withstand the everyday grind, it might be that the Punto contract looks like the best of the three contracts.

It is weird - this organization would obviously value an elite shortstop as much or more than most other MLB teams. It seems to be weaved into their DNA. But they have had absolutely no luck (or skill) in getting one that sticks. Bartlett has proved to be no great shakes, but given the replacements, one can argue trading him hurt the team more than trading Garza.

Mr. Ed
02-20-2012, 12:05 PM
JJ Hardy would have been a good keeper if they'd just left him alone.

Also helps his stats for the #s he puts up in Baltimore's hitter-friendly park, but still the offense would be there.
Somehow, his footspeed didn't impress some people.

Now they get Carroll, who is probably about Hardy's speed or slightly faster. Yay.

De Los Santos seems to be a lost cause. Beresford is miles away. Levi M needs to have a big year and move up quickly.

Thrylos
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Another C is also a complete waste of roster space. Doumit cannot be THAT bad.

Completely agree, but Mr Gardenhire does not see it that way.

BeefMaster
02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
This is why I wonder what the heck the Twins saw in Yoshi when they scouted him in the first place. Did they only watch him on good days batting RH?

I've honestly wondered whether there was any level of pre-signing scouting that went on before the Nishioka signing. It's somewhat defensible for there not to be - the Twins haven't had much of a presence in Japan, and he was a reasonably well-known player coming off a very good year in a competitive league. I'm not sure when he announced that he was coming over, but if it was reasonably late in the NPB season (or after it), it's certainly plausible that they could've said, "Hey, that guy just won their batting title and we need a shortstop - let's see if $3M is enough to get him," without sending someone over there to take a deep look.

BeefMaster
02-20-2012, 01:18 PM

That'd be pretty much impossible at this point without eating his salary - no one's going to take on $6M in salary obligation for a guy who might amount to a AAA utility man. If you're going to pay the guy regardless, there's no downside to giving him another shot, whether in Minneapolis or Rochester.

StormJH1
02-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I'll throw this out, too - they paid a LOT more for Carroll than I thought he would draw as a free agent, especially for a 2-year contract. If that 38-year-old breaks down, or just can't handle things defensively or withstand the everyday grind, it might be that the Punto contract looks like the best of the three contracts.

It is weird - this organization would obviously value an elite shortstop as much or more than most other MLB teams. It seems to be weaved into their DNA. But they have had absolutely no luck (or skill) in getting one that sticks. Bartlett has proved to be no great shakes, but given the replacements, one can argue trading him hurt the team more than trading Garza.
I don't understand the Carroll signing at all. I know Aaron Gleeman and a lot of bloggers have been moderately high on it as a short-term fix, but the guy has never been an everyday SS. I understand he didn't even make it to the majors until he was 28, but to ask him to just "discover" the ability to play 120+ games as a shortstop in one year at age 38 seems a little ridiculous.

Also, yeah, it's great that he's a selective hitter and has the potential for a high OBP, blah blah blah. You know when that isn't great? When you have CF, LF, 2B, AND SS all occupied by guys with basically no potential to drive in runs. Yes, you can do the Piranha thing where a bunch of "table-setters" in a row keep singling in runs, but that really is not a reliable method of generating offense. And when you combine the fact that we're not even trying to have a slugger at those 4 positions (and maybe Catcher too, depending on how Mauer rebounds)...uh oh. It would be one thing if we had guaranteed power at 1B and 3B, but there's not sure thing there either. People slam the Willingham signing and he's about the only spot in the lineup I feel somewhat confident in for 2012!

TJ710
02-20-2012, 01:27 PM
I think they find a way to bring him north. They have a tough time admitting mistakes (scouting wise, free agent spending wise) and usually give guys they spend a decent amount of money on every chance to crash and burn. Not that he hasn't already in most mind, but I just don't think the Twins consider a partial season as enough time.

BeefMaster
02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Also, yeah, it's great that he's a selective hitter and has the potential for a high OBP, blah blah blah. You know when that isn't great? When you have CF, LF, 2B, AND SS all occupied by guys with basically no potential to drive in runs. Yes, you can do the Piranha thing where a bunch of "table-setters" in a row keep singling in runs, but that really is not a reliable method of generating offense.

I trust that you have some specific free agent slugging shortstop(s) in mind? If not, I don't see the problem in signing a guy that does something well (getting on base, which also happens to be the most important skill in baseball) rather than waiting for someone who may or may not exist.

Westgaard66
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I am ok with the carroll signing cause he does get on base, but i really hope one of these young guys in the minors can excel and move up.....It would be nice to know a problematic position could be filled for a while instead of the revolving door it is now.

Axel Kohagen
02-20-2012, 02:17 PM
There's just too much toxicity in regards to Nishioka right now. Even if they did keep him, I can't picture him thriving in an environment where he's so clearly a lame duck player.

I don't really have any fancy reasons for feeling this way, but I can't even imagine Nishi on the Target Field bench in 2012.

twinsben47
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I would like to see the final bench spot go to Parmelee instead of Nishi. Parmelee could give you a nice pinch hitting option off the bench, especially with Casilla, Carroll, and Revere in the lineup on most days you are going to need some power on the bench.

TwinsMusings
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I think Nishioka will be on the opening day roster if he has a decent spring training. One of the reasons I think that is I believe the Twins want Dozier to play at Rochester. If Nishioka is in AAA to get playing time, that would mean Dozier would repeat at AA because he needs regular playing time as well. I don't think Nishioka is worth the risk of holding back development of Dozier. Another reason I think he makes the roster is he can learn maybe as much from watching the solid pro, Carroll, and how he goes about his business.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time he will be given in the spring games and if he will play both second base and shortstop. My guess is he will play shortstop in all the B games.

BK432
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
I am flat out "hoping" for Nishi to come out on fire and justify his salary and a spot on the 25. Because I have nothing else to hang on to. Bonnes is 100% correct when he says that he looked overmatched even before the injury. I am clinging to hope that it was nervousness and not feeling comfortable. I really hope that was the case.

J-Dog Dungan
02-20-2012, 03:07 PM
I think that the Twins, after watching Plouffe's horrible defense in the infield would rather stick him in the outfield. Also, I think that there are several options for the Twins, as they currently have their shortstop Carroll under contract for two years, which will likely last them until Dozier is ready for the bigs.

BeefMaster
02-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I think that the Twins, after watching Plouffe's horrible defense in the infield would rather stick him in the outfield.

I believe Ryan (or someone in the front office) has been quoted as saying that the team no longer views Plouffe as an infielder.

Dilligaf69
02-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I believe Ryan (or someone in the front office) has been quoted as saying that the team no longer views Plouffe as an infielder.

Nor should they....i thought they should of gave Plouffe the chance to be the RF before they signed Willy. Now I think he should platoon with Revere in LF with Doumit being the primary DH on days Joe is catching. If anything the Twins have options in the OF and DH...Ben can play CF obviously and Span RF at times. Doumit can play OF and Plouffe can DH some etc... Bottom line is if healthy I think the Twins will hit and their defense, especially the infield should be better. The ? is the starting pitching and the middle relief.

markominne
02-20-2012, 04:20 PM
As with Mauer and Capps, I think many are way too quick to write off Nishioka before seeing him play for an extended period. Virtually every former NPB position player has gone through a significant transition period, and with the injury issues last year, Nishi still hasn't seen extended play. With that said, I think a half-season at Rochester to show what he can do makes a lot more sense than giving him a half-season at Target Field to prove he can't.

Also, let's be careful about assuming Dozier is the middle-infield savior of this team: scouting reports on him give him only passable grades at 2B, and indicate he doesn't have the range to play SS in the major leagues. Just because he's the closest middle infielder in the Twins organization doesn't mean he's actually MLB-ready, or that he ever will be.

With all that said, Carroll has proven himself to be a capable middle infielder, and paired with Casilla/Hughes at 2B could represent a solid upgrade from the mess we saw last year, for at least a half-season. In the meantime, let's let Nishi and Dozier show what they can - and can't - do at Rochester or New Britain, and supplement the roster with Florimon (for defense) or with Burroughs (as a back-up 3B and potential DH/PH).

Thrylos
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
The other thing that has to be mentioned regarding Nishioka is that he really is not a short stop (he is ok at 2B) and that his defensive shortcomings at SS were also obvious in Japan. He lacks the arm strength to play short and he led the Pacific League in Japan in 2009 in errors for SS. So that was a known quantity, thus playing him at 2B last season. (In Japan he was an above average second baseman.) What was the surprise was his hitting (or lack of). So the Twins knew they were getting a below average SS when they got him.

Nick Nelson
02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Who's going to take him?

wagwan
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Can't make the team. Can't start can't be a backup

Knuckelball
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
If Nishi makes the team the Twins are in trouble.

denarded
02-20-2012, 06:10 PM

This is a great point, and i want nishi to work out, but i don't think there's space for his skills and his salary is costing us a real #3 starter

iTwins
02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm hoping that Nishi's first year was simply the result of trying to adjust and being in way over his head. That being said, I don't think he's shown any inkling of being major league ready. Ideally, the Twins will let him develop in AAA for at least the first half of the year, just to see if he has what it takes to be a major league player. Right now, he just looks like a bad investment.

Nick Nelson
02-20-2012, 06:28 PM
This is a great point, and i want nishi to work out, but i don't think there's space for his skills and his salary is costing us a real #3 starter
They have to pay Nishioka whether he's on the big-league roster or not. No one else is taking that salary.

My frustration with this situation is similar to my frustration with paying Capps almost $5M. It's one thing to overpay a guy; it's another to cry poor and refuse to spend an extra couple million on areas of need because you're overpaying that guy. Is it more bothersome that the Twins are paying $3 million this year to a guy who might not even make the team because of a misjudgment, or that they won't call it a sunk cost and spend that money on someone who can actually help them?

MichaelHaas
02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
There's just too much toxicity in regards to Nishioka right now. Even if they did keep him, I can't picture him thriving in an environment where he's so clearly a lame duck player.

I don't really have any fancy reasons for feeling this way, but I can't even imagine Nishi on the Target Field bench in 2012.

Yeah, I agree with Mr. Horrorpants. How can Nishi "get acclimated" to the majors (defensively or offensively) by not playing consistently. He can't be used as a defensive replacement or a pinch-hitter. So there's no short-term value having him on the club, and it does virtually nothing long-term for his development/acclimation.

Isn't he viewed as Bill Smith's guy? Would that make it more likely the Twins decide to admit the mistake and send him to Rochester?

twinzgrl
02-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I think they will give him a strong look. Casilla can't seem to stay healthy. Nishi may play second if Casilla can't. I think he'll be in Rochester but who knows what will happen during spring training. A number of Twins scouts thought he was the real deal when they gave him the three year deal. It wasn't just one guy who thought he could make it MLB....they saw something in him...and then a series of bad breaks early really didn't help the cause, but he seems like a hard worker, so we'll see....

Jontler
02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
If they're thinking objectively about it, they'll stick Nishioka in an everyday role in AAA. As previously noted by many, putting him on the bench in the bigs is detrimental, and he never really got his feet under him last season.

Barring injuries (ha) he doesn't serve a useful purpose on the big league squad to start the season. He's got depth potential, though, and if he can get into a groove then he could be useful in the future. It's not as if Alexi Casilla has blown away all future competition. his .310/.337 career OBP/SLG is likely to get him cut before arbitration pays him better next year, and the Twins need to get other options in place. It's not impossible to imagine a world in which Nishi replaces Casilla at 2B in 2013.

Teflon
02-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Justifying the $3 million salary issue somewhat (if Nishioka goes down to AAA) would be the savings from not having to repair any more Pavano dugout damage wrought by Nishi's butchery in the field.

Face The Facts
02-21-2012, 08:37 AM
No. He doesn't.

Seth Stohs
02-21-2012, 08:57 AM
You know when that isn't great? When you have CF, LF, 2B, AND SS all occupied by guys with basically no potential to drive in runs.

CF = Leadoff Hitter, LF = #9 hitter, 2B = #2 hitter, SS = #8 hitter. With the exception of probably Span, they're all singles hitters who hopefully will get on base so that the #3, #4, and #5 hitters can knock them in.

Shane Wahl
02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
If he can play 2B appropriately, then he has a good chance. And if Hughes has to start on the DL, he has a very good chance. I don't see them using a roster spot for someone who is only a backup shortstop (and a sub-par one at that). I would hope that he plays basically every day at SS and 2B with Dozier (and Florimon) at Rochester until mid-May or the beginning of June. Making the most out of the investment is what is needed now, and using him to start once a week and pinch run every other game for the Twins is not the way to make the most out of that investment.

Shane Wahl
02-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Also, Casilla is not going to be around in 2013, so the last year of the Nishioka deal should be the focus and preparing him to be a good player in 2013 is what is needed (if Casilla sucks this year or gets injured again, he isn't worth the money next year--and if he is very good this year, it is sell-as-high-as-conceivably-possible time with that guy).

John Bonnes
02-21-2012, 03:15 PM
I cannot freaking believe we've gone to page 6 on the subject of Tsuyoshi Nishioka and the 25th roster spot. I love it. This site is going to destroy all my relationships with real people, but I love it.

BeefMaster
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Also, Casilla is not going to be around in 2013, so the last year of the Nishioka deal should be the focus and preparing him to be a good player in 2013 is what is needed (if Casilla sucks this year or gets injured again, he isn't worth the money next year--and if he is very good this year, it is sell-as-high-as-conceivably-possible time with that guy).

Why won't Casilla be around next year? If he sucks this year, then sure, you nontender him, but he's got another year of arbitration left, so if he has a breakout year (or even if he's just competent), they can keep him at a reasonable price.

Cychotic
02-21-2012, 06:10 PM
The other thing that has to be mentioned regarding Nishioka is that he really is not a short stop (he is ok at 2B) and that his defensive shortcomings at SS were also obvious in Japan. He lacks the arm strength to play short and he led the Pacific League in Japan in 2009 in errors for SS. So that was a known quantity, thus playing him at 2B last season. (In Japan he was an above average second baseman.) What was the surprise was his hitting (or lack of). So the Twins knew they were getting a below average SS when they got him.

I don't know if that was that much of a surprise. Sure, he won a batting title in Japan, but he needed a .399 BABIP to do it. That type of luck just doesn't happen often.

kirbyelway
02-21-2012, 06:54 PM
I talked to Marty Brown who managed in Japan and is now a Triple A manager for Toronto. He told me Nishioka is a very good player. He also said he is not a major league ss, but will be a very good hitter and 2nd baseman. He said the adjustment is tough for the japanese players, but he thinks last year was just a bad luck year and he will be fine.

Shane Wahl
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Why won't Casilla be around next year? If he sucks this year, then sure, you nontender him, but he's got another year of arbitration left, so if he has a breakout year (or even if he's just competent), they can keep him at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't trust him to have another good season in 2013 and I think that a jump to $3 million or so versus 450K or whatever for Dozier would mean he is gone.

Highabove
02-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Nishi did not even play up to the level of an American Association infielder. George Tsamis would have cut him from the Saints. I still believe that the Twins are doing the right thing by giving him another chance.

lingrass
02-22-2012, 05:33 AM
I have to agree w/ TwinkieFan11 and not abandon the Nishi ship just yet....new country, media hype, broken leg....I don't think he got settled.....I fully agree he looked overmatched at the plate but hopefully he has the gumption to make adjustments in 2012....

Shane Wahl
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
I would not abandon it at all either, but Rochester has better waters (ok, the analogy will stop). I would rather see him play every day for a month or so and hopefully become an actual backup middle infielder who can push Casilla and Valencia (since Carroll can play all three positions).

Shane Wahl
02-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Casilla's ability to move over to SS (where he is just fine) should not be overlooked by Gardenhire as that can mean the difference between having a legitimate bench bat and having Nishioka to start the season. Leaving aside who constitutes a "legitimate bench bat" amongst the minor league acquisitions this offseason (why no Derrek Lee?), the Twins have Plouffe as an emergency in-game SS if Carroll and Casilla are hurt/out in the same game. Maybe Burroughs (L), Bates (R), Pearce (R), or even Ramirez (R) could be used off the bench. In fact, if Hughes is injured to begin the season, and they do what they should with Nishioka and start him at Rochester, the Twins would have two empty roster spots.

Thrylos
02-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Maybe Burroughs (L), Bates (R), Pearce (R), or even Ramirez (R) could be used off the bench. In fact, if Hughes is injured to begin the season, and they do what they should with Nishioka and start him at Rochester, the Twins would have two empty roster spots.

I really like Bates. He can make contact, get on base, hit for gap power and occasionally hit more than one out. As a matter of fact, if there are any issues with Morneau, I think that Bates and not Parmelee will get the first cut at 1B. But having his bat over let's say... Butera's :cool: on the bench, will be a plus for the Twins.

Teflon
02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
I found a Japanese sporting website (http://www.sanspo.com) talking about Tsuyoshi Nishioka's offseason workout regimen in Japan. Unfortunately it was in Japanese. Bing's fine web-page translation is below:

"Repeated dash Sprint and training strengthen the trunk, Japan ham, Nakata infielder sho Osaka toIn high Juniors Spivak. "Wow power ( US baseball ). 2010'S, took the leading hitter of the PA League ). Focus on progress (like a year), wants to forge a lower body "and vigorously digested the menu.

Based on the experience of the first year was too eager, Nishioka was "maybe too flew last year. Increased tone in open warfare. Stout and more, and actively want to continue playing "and stressed. (Joint)"

Saw another article on that site talking about the breakup of his marriage to model Naoko Tokuzawa (http://www.japansugoi.com/wordpress/japanese-model-naoko-tokuzawa-徳澤直子-videos/) . It appears he arranged for a hook-up with another model (http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2129819559005892101)around spring training time last season while his wife was five months pregnant. Guessing the family drama may have factored into his crappy season, too. At least now with a divorce pending we know where most of that $9 million contract will end up.

One note on translations - Nishioka knows there's no spot on the team for a "Futility Infielder," right?

Bogey Guy
02-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Did Nishi's injury early last year set the stage for his horrible year or is he overmatched by real major league baseball?

mike wants wins
02-26-2012, 05:41 PM
It's not been in Ryan's MO in the past to cut bait quickly on mistakes. I don't know why we think this round will be any different. Nishi will be on this roster at the start of the year, imo.