Shane Victorino CF
Carlos Ruiz C
Placido Polanco 3B
John Mayberry 1B
Some Guy Martinez 2B

SP: Cole Hamels P

CDog
06-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Hey, I recognize that lineup! Wonder how often they've gone even two-straight games with identical fielding and batting order over the last...long while.

mike wants wins
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I predict at least one team won't score as many runs tonight as last night....very brave prediction, I know.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-13-2012, 05:30 PM
It's about time Parmelee and Casilla got some at bats. Dozier has just been terrible, so it wouldn't hurt to give Casilla a few starts and have Carroll move to SS. I wish they'd DH Parmelee instead of Doumit in some games.

Chance
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Agree with parm DHing every now and then, but against a lefty is not the time

Nick Nelson
06-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey, I recognize that lineup! Wonder how often they've gone even two-straight games with identical fielding and batting order over the last...long while.
Here's a fun tool for answering that question (and any other question you might have about this year's lineup trends): http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2012-batting-orders.shtml

USAFChief
06-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Nice start. Bases loaded Thome up.

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Hmmm Manship up already.....

ashburyjohn
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Thome singles to shallow right, two runs score. I assume no throw to the plate was attempted by Revere.

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Maybe Walters is injured?

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Thome beat Revere's throw to 2nd

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:21 PM

That would be my guess - they had Manship up pretty quickly, as if they'd told him ahead of time to be ready. They must have seen something during pregame warmup that had them concerned.

SwainZag

Trainer came out, Walter's coming out. Weird he wasn't scratched from the beginning, he hasn't thrown that many pitches. They had to have been monitoring him.

ashburyjohn
Thome beat Revere's throw to 2nd

That would be epic.

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Is Walters injured or just having a horrible day?

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
3rd bloop hit......not a good start.

TwinsGuy55422
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Is Walters injured or just having a horrible day?

He's got to be injured or ill. You wouldn't pull him in the first inning even if he did give up a few runs unless that was the case.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
That would be epic.

I've got the video of his triple he hit while a Twin - I still watch it; it's a classic.

ashburyjohn
06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I've got the video of his triple he hit while a Twin - I still watch it; it's a classic.

Was the medical staff alerted to wheel out the oxygen bottle to meet him at third, for when he eventually arrived?

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:31 PM
6 runs in the first inning. WTF?

Bark's Lounge
06-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Yuck - this might be a long game for the Twins.

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Spotting Hamels 6 runs is about close to get to automatic as you can get.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
A couple of thoughts:

Walters looks to be not himself since pitch number 1. Something is wrong. Not to take yourself out of the game and staying and pitching BP and killing your team is inexcusable. (Pavano did the same thing too). Hope this is the last day of him in a Twins' uniform.

Jefferson Manship. I know there are a lot of fans here (Boras client and all), but the Twins can do better and there are more deserving arms in the minors.

Tonight really sucks so far

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
It may not have been Walters call - if it was a last minute thing that came up pregame, they might have decided to try it and see if it would be OK. The fact that Gardy came out so quickly tells me he probably had heads up there was a potential problem. The option is to throw Manship out there for an emergency start anyway, so you haven't lost that much (other than the 6-run first inning, of course.)

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Yuck - this might be a long game for the Twins.

Let's at least hope that Plouffe stays hot.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 07:40 PM
It may not have been Walters call - if it was a last minute thing that came up pregame, they might have decided to try it and see if it would be OK. The option is to throw Manship out there for an emergency start anyway, so you haven't lost that much (other than the 6-run first inning, of course.)

If it was not Walters' call, the one who made that call while he was throwing mid 80s FB in the pen (because that's was he was throwing in the game) should be run out of town tonight big time.

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:41 PM
It may not have been Walters call - if it was a last minute thing that came up pregame, they might have decided to try it and see if it would be OK. The fact that Gardy came out so quickly tells me he probably had heads up there was a potential problem. The option is to throw Manship out there for an emergency start anyway, so you haven't lost that much (other than the 6-run first inning, of course.)

I continue to wonder if the training staff is up to the job.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Word just came on the telecast. Walters had right shoulder stiffness, and couldn't get loose during the warmup. He'll have an MRI tomorrow.

nicksaviking
06-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Jim Thome his improved his average from .214 to .289 in ten innings so far against the Twins.

mike wants wins
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
And yet they sent him out there. This team boggles the mind at times, really.

Bark's Lounge
06-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Let's at least hope that Plouffe stays hot.

That goes without saying:) My prediction: 2-4, 2b and a single --- Hopefully: 5-6, 2 hr, 9 rbi

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 07:48 PM
More dirt came out from Gladden (on the radio broadcast) : Apparently Walters "couldn't get loose" in the pen and "alerted Andy". Andy made the decision to start him. Andy needs to go yesterday for more than this, but this is totally unacceptable. Period.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, I don't know who makes those decisions - the manager, the pitching coach, the training staff. My guess is they were hoping it would loosen up and he might be able to get through the lineup at least once, take a few innings and reduce the workload on the bullpen a little. In hindsight, not a good call.

Bark's Lounge
06-13-2012, 07:50 PM
More dirt came out from Gladden (on the radio broadcast) : Apparently Walters "couldn't get loose" in the pen and "alerted Andy". Andy made the decision to start him. Andy needs to go yesterday for more than this, but this is totally unacceptable. Period.

I suppose this situation calls for another "Yuck". Yuck.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:51 PM
His last couple of starts haven't been that great either - I'm guessing this is something that's been coming on gradually.

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
And yet they sent him out there. This team boggles the mind at times, really.

The training staff and coaches do not seem to be on the ball.

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Plouffe!!! Beast!

glunn
06-13-2012, 07:54 PM
That goes without saying:) My prediction: 2-4, 2b and a single --- Hopefully: 5-6, 2 hr, 9 rbi

You were too pessimistic my friend. He has already "Plouffed" with his first at bat. I am predicting a second "Plouffe" before the night is over.

Bark's Lounge
06-13-2012, 07:57 PM
You were too pessimistic my friend. He has already "Plouffed" with his first at bat. I am predicting a second "Plouffe" before the night is over.

These are the times when I like to be wrong. Maybe my hopeful prediction is still sea worthy!

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Not that I'm trying to defend the decision to send him out, but I'm guessing that the fact they had to use five pitchers from the bullpen last night played a role in rolling the dice and seeing if Walters could do anything.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 07:59 PM
They're going to need a true gem from Diamond tomorrow - the bullpen is going to be shot to *#*).

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Not that I'm trying to defend the decision to send him out, but I'm guessing that the fact they had to use five pitchers from the bullpen last night played a role in rolling the dice and seeing if Walters could do anything.

Well maybe that's why? Knowing they used 5, thought they could see if Walters could go, if not they would have Manship ready. Really no difference than scratching him and starting Manship.

nicksaviking
06-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Going to need Butera early today.

glunn
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM

That seems like it could have been a factor, but the risk of further injury to his shoulder makes me wish that someone gets fired for this.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 08:06 PM
This will probably end the debate of what move to make. You keep Gray (ugh!), bring up Hendriks, and send Parmelee back to Rochester. Back to the 13-man pitching staff.

And then, if Walters needs to go on the DL, it's welcome back Cole.

glunn
06-13-2012, 08:09 PM
This will probably end the debate of what move to make. You keep Gray (ugh!), bring up Hendriks, and send Parmelee back to Rochester. Back to the 13-man pitching staff.

Maybe they DL Walters to bring up Hendriks. But I would rather see Parmelee in Rochester than sitting on the bench.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Maybe they DL Walters to bring up Hendriks. But I would rather see Parmelee in Rochester than sitting on the bench.

But then they're going to need another starter anyway. I'm guessing they were going to bring up Hendriks for Saturday regardless - now if Walters goes out of the rotation, you need to replace him as well, hence DeVries.

mikeee
06-13-2012, 08:18 PM
If Doumit can get on, it's puuuullfffff time!

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Keep chipping away at that lead. One or two run an inning and we'll have a shot in the end.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 08:22 PM
And Swarzak is in now - so he can't be used for a start on Saturday.

glunn
06-13-2012, 08:29 PM
And Swarzak is in now - so he can't be used for a start on Saturday.

Time to call up Hendriks. He should be put on a plane tonight.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 08:39 PM
So the whole Target Field cheered for an opposing player hit a HR against the Twins. The same guy who hit one against the Twins in a game 163 a few years ago wearing a White Sux uni and made sure that the Twins did not make the post season. Yes he wore a Twins' uniform for a season and a half. But career-wise, he killed the Twins more than he helped them hands down.
I find rooting for an opponent who hit a home run in your home turf unacceptable. Period. Gotta draw the line. I guess there is a "new" generation of Twins fans who don't mind losing and like to root for the Twins to lose. This might explain all the love of Gardy, Andy and Co. Maybe. I sure don't like it.

mikeee
06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
come on, span the man!!!!!

snepp
06-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I find rooting for an opponent who hit a home run in your home turf unacceptable. Period.

Oh pull the cob out of your ass.

I guess there is a "new" generation of Twins fans who don't mind losing and like to root for the Twins to lose. This might explain all the love of Gardy, Andy and Co. Maybe. I sure don't like it.

As for this part, get the @#$% over yourself.

glunn
06-13-2012, 08:54 PM
So the whole Target Field cheered for an opposing player hit a HR against the Twins. The same guy who hit one against the Twins in a game 163 a few years ago wearing a White Sux uni and made sure that the Twins did not make the post season. Yes he wore a Twins' uniform for a season and a half. But career-wise, he killed the Twins more than he helped them hands down.
I find rooting for an opponent who hit a home run in your home turf unacceptable. Period. Gotta draw the line. I guess there is a "new" generation of Twins fans who don't mind losing and like to root for the Twins to lose. This might explain all the love of Gardy, Andy and Co. Maybe. I sure don't like it.

I see your point, but I also see their point. This man is a HOF player who was a hero when he played for the Twins. If I was at the game, I would have been silent when he hit the homer but forgiving of my fellow fans who cheered.

IdahoPilgrim

I can understand where you are coming from, but I have to admit it was fun to watch him hit another shot - even if it hurts us. It has nothing to do with liking losing, but in the short time he was here he really did connect with the fans, especially with his chase for 600 HRs. I don't know if you went to any games at Target Field the past couple of years, but I can tell you that a bond developed that is unusual with such a short stint, in part because it was clear in his interaction with the fans and the media that he is truly a class individual, and Minnesotans value that. I never want the Twins to lose, but at the same time I wish Thome all the best in whatever he does, and I thank him for the memories he left with me in the games I attended. Yes, he leads the league in HRs hit against the Twins (this was his 60th), but it was still a proud moment for us when he hit #600 in a Twins uniform.

mhanson93

A courtesy cheer for a legend and that means they are cheering for the Twins to lose?! That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

glunn
06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
I can understand where you are coming from, but I have to admit it was fun to watch him hit another shot - even if it hurts us. It has nothing to do with liking losing, but in the short time he was here he really did connect with the fans, especially with his chase for 600 HRs. I don't know if you went to any games at Target Field the past couple of years, but I can tell you that a bond developed that is unusual with such a short stint, in part because it was clear in his interaction with the fans and the media that he is truly a class individual, and Minnesotans value that. I never want the Twins to lose, but at the same time I wish Thome all the best in whatever he does, and I thank him for the memories he left with me in the games I attended. Yes, he leads the league in HRs hit against the Twins (this was his 60th), but it was still a proud moment for us when he hit #600 in a Twins uniform.

This is a far more elegant response than mine, and I agree with it. I also share thrylos's frustration with the way the game is going tonight.

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 08:57 PM
A couple of thoughts:

Walters looks to be not himself since pitch number 1. Something is wrong. Not to take yourself out of the game and staying and pitching BP and killing your team is inexcusable. (Pavano did the same thing too). Hope this is the last day of him in a Twins' uniform.

Jefferson Manship. I know there are a lot of fans here (Boras client and all), but the Twins can do better and there are more deserving arms in the minors.

Tonight really sucks so far

that's a little much don't ya think??

mikeee
06-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Willie HAMMER!!!!

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
And there goes Willingham.

Didn't anybody tell the Twins and Phillies that this is a pitcher's ballpark?

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Hammertime!!!!...too bad there is no such thing as a 6 run HR!

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM

Jeez man you got the rag on tonight..

nicksaviking
06-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I doubt there would have been much cheering had Thome hit it in the top of the ninth to put the Phils up by two. The fans cheered for the most universally loved player in the game who just happened to leave ther favorite team under friendly circumstances. What else were they going to do after paying thirty bucks to watch a blowout? It's either stay and cheer for Thome or take off early and bitch about it at Hubert's.

stringer bell
06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
1) Walters--Here's my take. Walters says he can't get loose. Anderson says if you can't go, we'll get Manship ready, but if you want to give it a go, we'll go with it. Walters decides to give it a go and is rocked. 2) Transactions--Hendriks is almost certainly going to get a shot before De Vries, who got rocked at Rochester a couple days ago. The Twins could disable Walters, call up Hendriks and not need a fifth starter until the 23rd. I suppose it keeps Gray in the majors until then. If Diamond and Liriano can pitch fairly deep, the bullpen will be okay. 3) Cheering for Thome. The guy has a sterling reputation, everybody loves him (although Ozzie might love him a bit less), he's 41, a future Hall of Famer and played a year and a half with the Twins. His play for the Twins pretty much erases any punishment he put on the Twins before that. It likely his Big Jim's last appearance at Target Field and both the Phils and Twins are in last place. I want the Twins to win but I'll cheer for a few of my favorite ex-Twins. I would cheer for Thome.

mikeee
06-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Here comes span the man!!!!

mikeee
06-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Nobody out!!!!

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 09:24 PM
OK, I don't like to second guess, but at this point you have to wish they hadn't tried to start Walters - without that 6-run lead spotted to Hamels we would be sitting pretty now.

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
OK, I don't like to second guess, but at this point you have to wish they hadn't tried to start Walters - without that 6-run lead spotted to Hamels we would be sitting pretty now.

I agree with your second guess, and I look forward to hearing the Twins' explanation for this.

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Hammer time! Let's take the lead here.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 09:29 PM

exactly. That's another reason that Andy (who made that decision) should be gone.
But I guess the ones who are rooting against the Twins here (i.e the ones who are rooting for Phillies hitting HRs against the Twins) would not like that train of thought

mikeee
06-13-2012, 09:31 PM
It's Morneau's turn...

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:32 PM
exactly. That's another reason that Andy (who made that decision) should be gone.
But I guess the ones who are rooting against the Twins here (i.e the ones who are rooting for Phillies hitting HRs against the Twins) would not like that train of thought

I sincerely doubt if there is anyone here who does not bleed Twins blue. C'mon Justin -- put one over the wall.

mikeee
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Dang.. Nice groundout... lol
Base hit from Doumit would tie!!!!

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I sincerely doubt if there is anyone here who does not bleed Twins blue. .

There are several people here who were happy that Thome hit one out. Really. And many more at Target Field to give him a standing ovation. (and if someone is not disguisted by that, he/she ain't bleeding Twins' blue. Sorry)

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Thome has 4 RBI tonight. We are down one run now. Bet our players -- while respecting and admiring Thome -- do feel a little undercut by the cheers for Thome's homer. Thome himself said this week that while he remains friends with those guys [the Twins], all that is out the window and he wants to beat them... bad. Thrylos' words and tone may be ill temperate and rough, but the spirit of what he said is right on.

mikeee
06-13-2012, 09:38 PM
crap.
Jeff Gray is on..

snepp
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
There are several people here who were happy that Thome hit one out. Really. And many more at Target Field to give him a standing ovation. (and if someone is not disguisted by that, he/she ain't bleeding Twins' blue. Sorry)

Here's a train of thought, GFY and your insufferably smug douchebaggery.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
Does anyone cheer AJ Pierzinski? He contributed way more to the Twins than Thome has. Is it appropriate to cheer him hitting a homer against the Twins (so long is it's not a milestone homer)? I don't think so.

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:41 PM
White Sox lose -- Konerko GIDPs with the tying run on third base to end it!!! I think we can ALL be happy about that.

mhanson93
06-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Dont be sorry, you're just wrong....

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Here's a train of thought, GFY and your insufferably smug douchebaggery.

Not to answer to the insults ;) but I guess you'd rather see Thome hit a long one than the Twins win.

True or False?

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Does anyone cheer AJ Pierzinski? He contributed way more to the Twins that Thome has? Is it appropriate to cheer him hitting a homer (so long is it's not a milestone homer)? I don't think so.

I would cheer him if he hit one against the Yankees or Red Sox, because I usually root for former Twins players when they are playing against anyone but the Twins. Please also note that Thome is much more likeable than AJ, and will probably make the HOF on the first ballot, so any homer he hits has historic merit.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Gray escapes another make or break (DFA) appearance.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Not to answer to the insults ;) but I guess you'd rather see Thome hit a long one than the Twins win.

True or False?

I personally would like to see both - in the same night.

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Comparing Thome and AJ? Wow.

I feel like I "bleed blue" Twins fan for life, and I would have gave Thome a standing O as well. The guy is a great player, great guy and played super for us. If you are disgusted by a Thome HR tonight, be disgusted at the pitcher, not Thome.

SwainZag
06-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Rooting for him to hit a HR, and cheering after he does are two different things in my opinion.

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM
plouffe!!!

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 09:49 PM

It's not like Manship came in and shut the Phils down..Swarzak either for that matter..who's to say we would be in any better shape if Walters did'nt start.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 09:51 PM
It's not like Manship came in and shut the Phils down..Swarzak either for that matter..who's to say we would be in any better shape if Walters did'nt start.

Walters pitched to 4 people and they all got on base. Hard to do.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 09:51 PM
I would cheer him if he hit one against the Yankees or Red Sox, because I usually root for former Twins players when they are playing against anyone but the Twins. Please also note that Thome is much more likeable than AJ, and will probably make the HOF on the first ballot, so any homer he hits has historic merit.

I agree with what you say, and yes, no two player situations are the same. Like I said, if it were a milestone homer then opposing fans with knowledge of the game and the history should applaud it, but this was not such feet -- just a really great, really nice player pounding the hell out of our team. Funny, I have mixed feelings about AJ, love his competitiveness and grit, but just despise the rest of him.

mhanson93
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Comparing Thome and AJ? Wow.

I feel like I "bleed blue" Twins fan for life, and I would have gave Thome a standing O as well. The guy is a great player, great guy and played super for us. If you are disgusted by a Thome HR tonight, be disgusted at the pitcher, not Thome.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not upset at Thome for hitting 60 HRs against the Twins. I'm more upset that the Twins have had so many tomato cans over the years for him to hit them off of.

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Plouffe with 3 K's tonight! though:(

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Walters pitched to 4 people and they all got on base. Hard to do.

OK but it's happened many times before i'm certain but still does'nt prove anything.

glunn
06-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Productive strikeout by Carroll -- now Span needs to keep this going. We need to win this so that Thome's HR does not matter.

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 09:56 PM
We can hit Papsmear... let's go Twins!

Dilligaf69
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
productive strikeout by carroll -- now span needs to keep this going. We need to win this so that thome's hr does not matter.

hahahaha!:d

mikeee
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
wiff, you big douf thome!! :D

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Damnit Perkins -- you needed to catch that.

Bark's Lounge
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM

Thyrlos - you are a tried and true die hard Twins fan. You have hard lines that can never be breached. It is War, it is never pretty, and it is unacceptable to cheer for the opposition no matter who it is. The mentality is to kill and destroy your opposition. For the most part I agree and like your method of madness. First and foremost I am a fan of Major League Baseball and it is very rare you come across the likes of a humble country fella who seems to be the nicest guy in baseball and has endeared himself to the baseball community country wide and certainly to the Twins Community. Thome is an anomaly, we might never see such a beloved baseball presence again, an individual who can breach the hard line of a baseball rivalry. My take is that you should cut some people some slack for cheering for him and his success against OUR team. Although Thome is more of a Twin Killer than a Twin - he was our most crucial offensive player in 2010 and hit some of the most monolithic HRs I have ever seen as a Twins fan. His HR against the Sux in August, 2010 has got to be one of the 5 greatest HRs in Twins History.

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Thyrlos - you are a tried and true die hard Twins fan. You have hard lines that can never be breached. It is War, it is never pretty, and it is unacceptable to cheer for the opposition no matter who it is. The mentality is to kill and destroy your opposition. For the most part I agree and like your method of madness. First and foremost I am a fan of Major League Baseball and it is very rare you come across the likes of a humble country fella who seems to be the nicest guy in baseball and has endeared himself to the baseball community country wide and certainly to the Twins Community. Thome is an anomaly, we might never see such a beloved baseball presence again, an individual who can breach the hard line of a baseball rivalry. My take is that you should cut some people some slack for cheering for him and his success against OUR team. Although Thome is more of a Twin Killer than a Twin - he was our most crucial offensive player in 2010 and hit some of the most monolithic HRs I have ever seen as a Twins fan. His HR against the Sux in August, 2010 has got to be one of the 5 greatest HRs in Twins History.

Well said my friend. And it irks me when we squabble among each other. We may disagree, but are united by a common mania.

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
OK Perkins -- strike this fart out.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm not upset at Thome for hitting 60 HRs against the Twins. I'm more upset that the Twins have had so many tomato cans over the years for him to hit them off of.

I think everyone agrees with this. One can only be responsible for what one can control. One can't control the pitches Thome gets nor the resulting big fly. So, it wouldn't make sense to blame or be upset with Thome. Yet, one can control their reaction this event. Sure, get upset with the pitcher or at least the unfortunate result. But also, do not give a standing ovation (unless some historical milestone occurred). There was no milestone reached. The homer came at expense of our team. So why the standing O? I don't get it.

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Standing ovation for Perkins!!! I am standing myself even though I am in California. Now let's get 2 runs and win this game.

mike wants wins
06-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Wow. Wish I was at this game....really entertaining and suspenseful...

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I think everyone agrees with this. One can only be responsible for what one can control. One can't control the pitches Thome gets nor the resulting big fly. So, it wouldn't make sense to blame or be upset with Thome. Yet, one can control their reaction this event. Sure, get upset with the pitcher or at least the unfortunate result. But also, do not give a standing ovation (unless some historical milestone occurred). There was no milestone reached. The homer came at expense of our team. So why the standing O? I don't get it.

Maybe some Phillies fans started it and the Twins fans were merely being polite?

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Hammer time!

mikeee
06-13-2012, 10:16 PM
rats...........

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah
that's on Andy/Gardy

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah
that's on Andy/Gardy

Agreed -- Walters should not have started, and if this aggravated his injury then I am extra pissed.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Maybe some Phillies fans started it and the Twins fans were merely being polite?

Well, I'll be at all three game when the Twins come to Pittsburgh next week. I'll be cheering loud and giving a standing O to any Twins home runs and doubt any Bucs fans join in. This has to be just an exhibition of MN nice or fan ignorance. Let's take the series tomorrow!

mike wants wins
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Why is it ignorant to cheer for a player you like? I don't get it. Whatever, it isn't really important, but I really don't get the thought that it is somehow inherently WRONG to root for a player you like.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Why is it ignorant to cheer for a player you like? I don't get it. Whatever, it isn't really important, but I really don't get the thought that it is somehow inherently WRONG to root for a player you like.

Well...
it is team vs a player
if you are a player fan you a player fan
if you are a team fan you are a team fan
and when the two colide, you gotta choose. Simple.
Some of us are Twins' fans.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 10:32 PM

My view is that you should root for whomever you like. Same goes for the team you like -- route for them. If there is a circumstance where routing for the player you like comes at the expense of the team you like, you must choose to either root for that player or the team as the success of one is mutually exclusive of the success of the other. It's a contradiction. My view is that fans cheering for both the team and this player are ignorant of that contradiction. It's not personal nor meant to be offensive. But I fight relativism, especially ethical relativism every chance I get. :)

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Well...
it is team vs a player

Funny, I was writing my response, got up for few minutes, came back and finished, and here you've beat me to it. ;)

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:35 PM
Well, I'll be at all three game when the Twins come to Pittsburgh next week. I'll be cheering loud and giving a standing O to any Twins home runs and doubt any Bucs fans join in. This has to be just an exhibition of MN nice or fan ignorance. Let's take the series tomorrow!

I know what you mean. When I go to Angels games I wear a Twins shirt and hat and give standing ovations for Twins' homers and sit silently when the Angels fans stand. I also try to bring someone who is wearing Angels gear and/or who looks like he could be dangerous in a fight. You should have backup in Pittsburgh my friend.

An Anaheim, we usually have a decent number of Twins fans, especially near the Twins dugout and (for some strange reason) in a section that faces left field. There are lots of high fives when the Twins do well, and commiseration when they do not.

Ultima Ratio
06-13-2012, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=glunn;24756]

I only know of one other couple here who are Twins fans, and oddly enough only met them because the saw me wearing my Twins Jersey walking down the street. They were so shocked they had to pull over and give me a ride down the street.

I plan on going whether I'm alone or not, though my wife will join me one night.

IdahoPilgrim
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Interesting comments from Gardy in the post-game interview. He seemed to indicate there was no advance warning that Walters was hurting. Oliveros is coming up; corresponding roster move to be announced tomorrow after Walters MRI.

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Well...
it is team vs a player

Now that I think about it, I was at a game in Anaheim where Hunter homered against the Twins. I did not even consider joining the standing ovation. I wished that he had struck out like a dog. But if I was at a game where he hit one against the Sux, I would give the ovation, out of respect for what he did while he was on the Twins.

I think that you have hit the nail on the head thrylos. But there is one other fundamental principle in play, which is that Twins fans should root for each other. I rarely get to meet any fellow fans in person, but when they play in Anaheim there is a sacred bond amongst us. So while we might always agree, we must always have each other's backs.

glunn
06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I only know of one other couple here who are Twins fans, and oddly enough only met them because the saw me wearing my Twins Jersey walking down the street. They were so shocked they had to pull over and give me a ride down the street.

I plan on going whether I'm alone or not, though my wife will join me one night.

Try to get tickets near the Twins dugout -- you will have more friends there.

adjacent
06-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I am a Twins fan. But I am a fan of the sport first. For that reason, I will celebrate anybody of Thome's accomplishments, especially the way he did it, the right way. If you don't understand that, you and me have very different ideas of what a sport is.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=glunn;24756]

I do go on Twins' games when they play here (that has been rare) and on their Minor league games when they play here (and this is not that rare). And I do wear Twins' stuff. And the MLB club "here" is the one they played tonight. And the fans have a bad reputation about being unfriendly. Never had any problems. Really. As far as the (closest to me) AAA and AA games, those are much more relaxed and neverminding. I usually wear a Miracle cap in those :)

denarded
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM

absolutely classless. i've seen your post for years and you are so reactionary. have fun chatting with fanatic jack sucker.

glunn
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
absolutely classless. i've seen your post for years and you are so reactionary. have fun chatting with fanatic jack sucker.

I think that we all tend to get frustrated when the bad guys score 6 runs in the first inning, and we have different ways of expressing such anger.

glunn
06-14-2012, 12:10 AM
I just read this on the Twins website:

"Thome brought his former team's fans to their feet for a standing ovation in the fourth. He provoked the applause after hitting a two-run homer over the batter's eye in center field, an estimated 466-foot shot -- the third-longest in Target Field history. " http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_06_13_phimlb_minmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=min

So there was a historic aspect in terms of how far he hit the ball.

denarded
06-14-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm not frustrated, GlunnI think you're missing my point, I'm not applauding the phillies winning. I'm for the crowd cheering a classy player. we lost, big deal. don't disrespect a guy who was a great short term twin and who will be in the hof. And a whole other thread...I won't say it

Brock Beauchamp
06-14-2012, 10:29 AM
It's a long season. Next season will also be long, as will the one following that.

There's nothing wrong with cheering a guy who you respect and enjoy watching play in the twilight of his career. It's one game out of 162 in a season that is probably a lost cause anyway.

ashburyjohn
06-14-2012, 11:05 AM
I may have missed someone else stating this point of view, but Thome's 4th inning homer increased the lead from 7-3 to 9-3. When the home team is already getting stomped, and this now just adds to it, it makes it much more forgivable IMO to stop concentrating on the home team winning and appreciate any secondary aspects to the game such as individual accomplishments. Applauding a fan favorite in this manner seems classy, not lacking in home spirit.

No one could know in the 4th inning that these would be the last two runs the Phillies would score in a one-run win. I really doubt that the same ovation would have occurred if, say, the homer had happened in the top of the 8th or 9th to retake a lead.

ashburyjohn
06-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Interesting comments from Gardy in the post-game interview. He seemed to indicate there was no advance warning that Walters was hurting. Oliveros is coming up; corresponding roster move to be announced tomorrow after Walters MRI.

I wonder if Gardy is the type of manager who growls about "don't tell me about every ache and pain" when a player or trainer brings him such news, and then growls that he wasn't informed when the problem turned out to be serious. I suspect "I can't get loose" happens every now and then during warmup, and sometimes the pitcher probably gives up a run or two in the first inning then seemingly settles down because he finds a way to get around the discomfort or it just works itself out on its own.

Yogi Berra has the apocryphal quote that pitchers are all liars and crybabies. I suspect many managers share that view to some degree; they can remember cases where a pitcher said he wasn't sure he'd be able to last even three innings today, and then throws a shutout.

I really hope Gardy isn't guilty of second-guessing here.

striker_86
06-14-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not frustrated, GlunnI think you're missing my point, I'm not applauding the phillies winning. I'm for the crowd cheering a classy player. we lost, big deal. don't disrespect a guy who was a great short term twin and who will be in the hof. And a whole other thread...I won't say it

The guy hit a towering shot and the game was already blown open. Its not like he hit a 2 run single and the place cheered. I would have done the same. Despite the team playing better, they still are sitting in last place. Might as well stand and cheer for a classy player who helped make Target Field's first two season memorable.