PDA

View Full Version : Article: Movin' on Up?

Seth Stohs
06-12-2012, 01:42 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?652-Movin-on-Up

mike wants wins
06-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Lots of pitching, not much hitting. So fascinating they concentrated on pitching so much in the draft. Seth, isn't it time to move Sano off of third base? There is almost no chance that's his long term position. I can't comment on the guys you didn't list, but I think the ones you listed make a ton of sense. I'd do all those promotions.

thanks again for your work,

Rosterman
06-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Two questions: What minor league free agents are on the bubble? And if someone goes up, someone must go down or be released (or disabled).

Twins Fan From Afar
06-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Good list, Seth.

I don't see what the rush is to move Sano off of third base, especially this season -- his first of professional baseball. Yes, most everyone seems to think he'll outgrow it, but he's young enough that I think he should be given a better chance to fill this position of need.

mini_tb
06-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Almost everything you read about Sano has a comment about how surprisingly athletic he is, so there is still a chance he sticks at third. An elite hitting 3B is a rarer commodity than a really good hitting 1B, so there is no harm in trying him there longer. If it gets to the point where his defensive struggles are affecting him at the plate, or if he proves for multiple years that he just cannot play 3B, then you strongly consider the change.

jokin
06-12-2012, 02:08 PM
The Twins have a wealth of resources in terms of coaches and facilities in Ft. Meyers, including their ST headquarters. Rosario and Sano are Caribbean ballplayers who would thrive in the warmer weather, culture and environment of South Florida versus Backwater Beloit, WI. Why would they think twice about moving both along after the All-Star game? What an awesome potential 1-5 in Miracle batting order!: Danny Santana/Eddie Rosario/Miguel Sano/Oswaldo Arcia/Angel Morales. This would give Sano some coverage behind him and giving Sano something to hit in each at bat besides waste pitches and off-speed breaking balls as apparently is happening now. Unites, at least temporarily, 5 of the top Twins positional prospects, 4 of the top 10. Seth, please tell me why this isn't a winning scenario?

jokin
06-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Two questions: What minor league free agents are on the bubble? And if someone goes up, someone must go down or be released (or disabled).

Part of the problem lies with the Twins relationship with Red Wings- this is a "caught between a rock and a hard place" scenario. The Red Wings business model values wins over development, while the Twins don't have enough prospects to keep Rochester consistently competitive. The Wings can't be happy with the volumetric free agent signings the last two years, followed by immediate emergency depletions and then having the likes of Nishi dumped on them for two years. Likewise, they can't be happy with the alternative of A/AA level prospects filling out a roster, even if they project higher than those currently on the AAA roster.

Shane Wahl
06-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Chris Herrmann to Rochester. Matt Hauser to Fort Myers are the first two that come to mind. The other ones I definitely agree on.

mike wants wins
06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Or, you can assume he plays RF, and get him playing it now, rather than when he is in AA. I don't understand why they would keep him at 3B, when it appears fairly obvious that he's a RF or 1B in the majors. The other side of your argument is that the sooner he starts learning his real position, the more likely he is to be ready for the majors in 2-3 years, not 4-5. I'd rather he learn a new position in A ball, than in AA or AAA or the majors.

MWLFan
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I have seen him play the position, and will again this weekend, I don't think it is a foregone conclusion he will not play 3rd in the majors. Now this is for a 19 year old who is playing his first full season of pro ball, but his movement is good, footwork is fine, plenty of arm and the glove is decent. Could he grow out of the position if he gets to be 6-5 and 240, sure. Could he balloon and become a full sized model, yup. But he is not a hulking statue at 3rd with no idea of what he is doing. 3rd base is a difficult place to find answers for this team, give him as much time as possible to not fill that whole. Then have Hicks, Buxton, Arcia, Benson, Revere and or Span covering the wide open spaces of Target field.

jokin
06-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I have seen him play the position, and will again this weekend, I don't think it is a foregone conclusion he will not play 3rd in the majors. Now this is for a 19 year old who is playing his first full season of pro ball, but his movement is good, footwork is fine, plenty of arm and the glove is decent. Could he grow out of the position if he gets to be 6-5 and 240, sure. Could he balloon and become a full sized model, yup. But he is not a hulking statue at 3rd with no idea of what he is doing. 3rd base is a difficult place to find answers for this team, give him as much time as possible to not fill that whole. Then have Hicks, Buxton, Arcia, Benson, Revere and or Span covering the wide open spaces of Target field.

Please send back plenty of Snapper reports early and often, as it might be Sano's last weekend in Beloit. ie: How does he do on the charging, barehand pick-up and throw, going to his left/right, short-hop, hot smash, relay to second, relay to home, relay to first from deep behind 3B, etc.

mike wants wins
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Fair enough, I've never seen him play. It's my experience that the Twins are change averse, rather it is Hicks and switch hitting, or moving a starter to reliever or moving people up the chain. I am just assuming that the reports we read that it's likely he'll have to move are true, and that he hasn't because the Twins hate change (look at the front office.....). But, maybe I'm wrong. Otoh, I really don't want him held back because he can't field 3B, if he's capable of hitting at higher levels. Great players have a longer, much earlier prime. I just don't want a year or two of MLB caliber hitting to be spent in the minors, because he either can't field 3B still, or they are busy teaching him a new position.

Seth Stohs
06-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Thoughts on the above...

Sano - I'd keep him at 3B... he's a terrific athlete, takes fly balls at times in BP, if they wanted to move him to RF eventually, they could. won't take much transition time. Same thing with first. That's why I'd absolutely keep him at 3B as long as possible.

Chris Herrmann - I like him a lot as a replacement for a guy like Doumit, catch a bit, some LF, DH some... but what about his numbers indicate he should move up from NB right now?

Note - Danny Lehmann is going on the DL with a strained quad which is why Rohlfing and Knudson are up.

jokin - Weather is only one factor for Rosario, Sano, any southern player who comes up to Wisconsin. I like the prospect status of that Top 5... but I also don't think you're realizing that pitching is actually better as players move up... Those curveballs that Sano is missing now in the MWL or better CB in the FSL... It's not easy. Sano is hitting like .240 with a lot of power and a lot of strikeouts. That doesn't scream promotion to me.

nicksaviking
06-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Corey Koske was terrible at 3B at every stage of the minor leagues and he was 3 years older when he was at Sano's stage of development. Derek Jeter made 56 errors when he was 19. No need to kill this trial 2 months into a hopefully 2 decade career.

I think half of the issue is Sano keeps getting compared to Miguel Cabrera. He has a very strong lower half that some day may turn him into the Cabrera we know today, but at this point he is not the big, hulking oaf many may think of when they picture Cabrera. Sano's certainly not as spry as Alex Rodriguez, but his body looks more like 2012 A-Rod than it does Miguel Cabrera. He can't get moved from 3B until at the very earliest, the better coaches at Ft. Myers get to work with him.

Thrylos
06-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Dan Rohlfing (.581 OPS) was promoted from Ft. Myers to New Britain. Josmil Pinto (.738 OPS) in the same team (and the same age as Rohlfing) was passed over.
Former Gopher catcher Kyle Knudson (.680 OPS) was promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers. Matthew Koch (.957 OPS) in the same team and a year younger than Knutson was passed over.

I think that the Twins organization needs to do some serious soul searching with their promotions and reward merit, otherwise there will be some pretty upset minor league players...
If any of you were Koch or Pinto, and did not feel mis-treated because of that, please let me know.

jokin
06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Thoughts on the above...

Sano - I'd keep him at 3B... he's a terrific athlete, takes fly balls at times in BP, if they wanted to move him to RF eventually, they could. won't take much transition time. Same thing with first. That's why I'd absolutely keep him at 3B as long as possible.

jokin - Weather is only one factor for Rosario, Sano, any southern player who comes up to Wisconsin. I like the prospect status of that Top 5... but I also don't think you're realizing that pitching is actually better as players move up... Those curveballs that Sano is missing now in the MWL or better CB in the FSL... It's not easy. Sano is hitting like .240 with a lot of power and a lot of strikeouts. That doesn't scream promotion to me.

Levi Michael has proved your point about pitching as players move up and .240 isn't great- but the power and athleticism is highly intriguing ( I believe it was you who quoted an opposing MWL manager who said something to the effect that he's never seen anyone like Sano in this league)- meaning he should be given the team's full attention to improving him as quickly as possible in his areas in need of sharpening. Given that, I have more questions: What about optimum playing conditions with superior coaching and facilities (which will help his defense as well)? Is there a detailed hitting profile for Sano somewhere on how teams in the MWL have changed their approach to Sano? If so, how many breaking ball swinging strikes is he incurring- and- is he swinging at a lot of balls out of the strikezone because he has so little to actually swing at? I could be way off base, but why is it I feel like the subject of "plate discipline" has probably never been brought up with Sano at Beloit? How actually "good" or "better" is the average breaking ball in the MWL vs. the FSL? Wouldn't he get some decent coverage (ie, at least a couple better pitches to swing at per at bat) with Arcia and Morales batting behind him vs. what he has now behind him in Beloit?

jokin
06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Dan Rohlfing (.581 OPS) was promoted from Ft. Myers to New Britain. Josmil Pinto (.738 OPS) in the same team (and the same age as Rohlfing) was passed over.
Former Gopher catcher Kyle Knudson (.680 OPS) was promoted from Beloit to Ft. Myers. Matthew Koch (.957 OPS) in the same team and a year younger than Knutson was passed over.

I think that the Twins organization needs to do some serious soul searching with their promotions and reward merit, otherwise there will be some pretty upset minor league players...
If any of you were Koch or Pinto, and did not feel mis-treated because of that, please let me know.

I noticed that. These look like public school "social promotions" and "non-EASL-language-readiness promotions". Disturbing, but typical for the Twins.

IdahoPilgrim
06-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Your points are well taken, and I am sort of curious as to why they made the moves they did. That being said, it's not as if any of these were serious prospects who are being held back from their shot at the show.

nicksaviking
06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Is there a detailed hitting profile for Sano somewhere on how teams in the MWL have changed their approach to Sano? If so, how many breaking ball swinging strikes is he incurring- and- is he swinging at a lot of balls out of the strikezone because he has so little to actually swing at? I could be way off base, but why is it I feel like the subject of "plate discipline" has probably never been brought up with Sano at Beloit?

Sano's K rate last year was 26%, it has risen to 27% against better compition this year. Meanwhile His BB rate was 7.8% last year and 12.4% this year. Seeing as his BB rate has improved despite more strikeouts, I would say the reasonable conclusion is, yes, they are pitching around him.

Thrylos
06-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Back to the original question, I think that there would have to be several promotions as the draftees get signed. I suspect at least a few Ps would be/should be assigned to Beloit (Melotakis, Chargois, Duffy, Bard - when signed) a couple of the senior college OFs and BK Shanty or one of ST Cs would/could probably assigned there. So that would push for promotions up to Fort Myers all the way to Rochester (and some releases to make space.)

If I were one of JR Towles, Shawn Roof, Mark Dolenc, Clete Thomas, Nate Hanson, Aaron (the remaining) Thompson, Brendan Wise, Brett Jacobson, Matt Maloney, I would be dusting my resume at this point... and if I were Mike Holimon or Ray Chang, I would be doing some soul searching as well...

In addition to the previously mentioned Koch and Pinto who merit a promotion to (A+ and AA, respectively), Arcia (to AA), Herrmann (to AAA), Sano and Rosario to (A+), Deibinson Romero (to AAA) , Danny Santana and Jairo Perez (to AA), Drew Leachman or Nate Roberts or both (to A+). BJ Hermsen and Andrew Albers (to AAA), Dakota Watts (to AA), Tim Atherton, AJ Achter, David Hurlbut, Matt Thomson and Mike Tonkin (to A+) (pretty much the whole Beloit pen and being replaced by the new college signees) Matt Houser (to AA), Louis Perdomo (to AAA), Rickey Bowen and Danny Turpen (to AAA).

Something like that :)

nicksaviking
06-12-2012, 04:17 PM

The Twins have made many questionable promotions, but I'm guessing since these are catchers who likely have no MLB future, the Twins are more concerned with defense and game calling for the young pitchers they need to develop than they are with OPS. That being said, I really have no clue as to which of these guys are the better defensive catchers.

Turd Furgeson
06-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Lots of pitching, not much hitting. So fascinating they concentrated on pitching so much in the draft. Seth, isn't it time to move Sano off of third base? There is almost no chance that's his long term position. I can't comment on the guys you didn't list, but I think the ones you listed make a ton of sense. I'd do all those promotions.

thanks again for your work,

John Sickels thinks that Sano could stick it at third base. I've heard others say they think he has the potential to stay there. If it's a realistic possibility, you keep him there as long as possible.

clutterheart
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
What about Santana at FM?

He should be moved up. Does he have a chance to force Gardy to put Dozier at 2b?

Turd Furgeson
06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Levi Michael has proved your point about pitching as players move up and .240 isn't great- but the power and athleticism is highly intriguing ( I believe it was you who quoted an opposing MWL manager who said something to the effect that he's never seen anyone like Sano in this league)- meaning he should be given the team's full attention to improving him as quickly as possible in his areas in need of sharpening. Given that, I have more questions: What about optimum playing conditions with superior coaching and facilities (which will help his defense as well)? Is there a detailed hitting profile for Sano somewhere on how teams in the MWL have changed their approach to Sano? If so, how many breaking ball swinging strikes is he incurring- and- is he swinging at a lot of balls out of the strikezone because he has so little to actually swing at? I could be way off base, but why is it I feel like the subject of "plate discipline" has probably never been brought up with Sano at Beloit? How actually "good" or "better" is the average breaking ball in the MWL vs. the FSL? Wouldn't he get some decent coverage (ie, at least a couple better pitches to swing at per at bat) with Arcia and Morales batting behind him vs. what he has now behind him in Beloit?

Here's John Sickel's recent thoughts on him as he scouted him this past weekend, only a two game sample size but it has merit:

Miguel Sano, 3B: Age 19, still officially listed at 6-3, 195 but looks more like 6-5, 230. Despite his size, he moves with some grace on the field. Arm strength and range look just fine for third base and he handled a couple of difficult plays without any problems. He's made 21 errors already, but I didn't see any reason (based on these two games) why he can't improve defensively and be an average defender, at least. Hitting-wise, Sano has tremendous bat speed, among the best I've ever seen, with huge raw power, at least 70. He also swings and misses a lot. He actually did a decent job working counts and laying off breaking pitches and changeups, but he swung and missed on outside fastballs that he was trying too hard to pull. The Burlington pitchers didn't give him any sort of hittable fastball, pitching to the outside corner and past it, refusing to throw stuff on the inner half to him. He's hitting .240/.350/.507 with 14 homers, 33 walks, and 74 strikeouts in 225 at-bats. Given his youth, I think Sano will make the proper adjustments. If things work out: Miguel Cabrera (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/427/miguel-cabrera). If they don't: Joel Guzman (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/4425/joel-guzman).

Turd Furgeson
06-12-2012, 04:35 PM
I will also add, I question how much more difficult high A is than low A, the Midwest league. Kevin Goldstein has said that the Midwest league is the most difficult hitting league in the minors. Of course, that's relative to the level they are in, but still. I doubt it's that much more difficult. The pitching will be more advanced but it's not AA or AAA.

mike wants wins
06-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Good to read all these opinions he can stay. I would certainly prefer that.

PeteyD33
06-12-2012, 04:48 PM
Some one asked about how Sano's defense was looking. Here is my note about him posted elsewhere after watching him over the weekend:

Sano struggled and went 0-4 including 2 strikeouts (I think). He was taking some big swings at the ball all night. He was swinging at a lot of pitches in the dirt which makes me think he is still struggling with off speed stuff. On the defensive side, I was pleasantly surprised by him. In the first, he knocked down a tough in-between hop to get the runner out at first. In the 4th, he made a really nce play moving to his right and picking the ball up almost right on 3rd base. He threw it low across the diamond to just beat the runner the fast runner

jokin
06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Here's John Sickel's recent thoughts on him as he scouted him this past weekend, only a two game sample size but it has merit:

Miguel Sano, 3B: Age 19, still officially listed at 6-3, 195 but looks more like 6-5, 230. Despite his size, he moves with some grace on the field. Arm strength and range look just fine for third base and he handled a couple of difficult plays without any problems. He's made 21 errors already, but I didn't see any reason (based on these two games) why he can't improve defensively and be an average defender, at least. Hitting-wise, Sano has tremendous bat speed, among the best I've ever seen, with huge raw power, at least 70. He also swings and misses a lot. He actually did a decent job working counts and laying off breaking pitches and changeups, but he swung and missed on outside fastballs that he was trying too hard to pull. The Burlington pitchers didn't give him any sort of hittable fastball, pitching to the outside corner and past it, refusing to throw stuff on the inner half to him. He's hitting .240/.350/.507 with 14 homers, 33 walks, and 74 strikeouts in 225 at-bats. Given his youth, I think Sano will make the proper adjustments. If things work out: Miguel Cabrera (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/427/miguel-cabrera). If they don't: Joel Guzman (http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/players/4425/joel-guzman).

That's quite a wide range, Sickel really went out on a limb with his final assessment/sarc. Still, this is at least one expert that suggests it isn't the breaking balls, the MWL pitchers are pitching way around him and to this point his drop in production is due to his lack of adjustments and approach at the plate. Good news, both at the plate and in the field, and fresh strong evidence to promote, not retain.

Thrylos
06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
I will also add, I question how much more difficult high A is than low A, the Midwest league. Kevin Goldstein has said that the Midwest league is the most difficult hitting league in the minors. Of course, that's relative to the level they are in, but still. I doubt it's that much more difficult. The pitching will be more advanced but it's not AA or AAA.

Here is the difference between high A (like Fort Myers), A (like Beloit) and low A (like a team in the short season New York/Penn League, and I think that I posted that before) :
In most cases (90% plus), for a pitcher to be in high A, he has to have at least one secondary pitch that is "above average" or "plus", in addition to their main "plus" or "above average" pitch (usually a fastball). So, these days, if a hitter can dominate high A pitching, it is a good bet that he will make it to the majors (even for a cup of coffee) So moving to high A, hitters see more and better breaking and slow stuff, pitching against the count and such and they have to make adjustments.

jokin
06-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Here is the difference between high A (like Fort Myers), A (like Beloit) and low A (like a team in the short season New York/Penn League, and I think that I posted that before) :
In most cases (90% plus), for a pitcher to be in high A, he has to have at least one secondary pitch that is "above average" or "plus", in addition to their main "plus" or "above average" pitch (usually a fastball). So, these days, if a hitter can dominate high A pitching, it is a good bet that he will make it to the majors (even for a cup of coffee) So moving to high A, hitters see more and better breaking and slow stuff, pitching against the count and such and they have to make adjustments.

Given this info as fairly valid- and given the evidence that the MWL is pitching around Sano, wouldn't it be better to have him working against pitchers pitching against him in A+ than around him in A?

ashburyjohn
06-12-2012, 04:59 PM

One thing I know for sure is that the players I've talked with don't share my mindset. :) (Yogi would remind me that you can't hit and think at the same time.) So I have little confidence answering "maybe" to your question.

BUT, for what it's worth: it would depend on what I had been told to work on. It's not all about OPS, particularly for catchers. If I was consistently told that my framing of pitches still left a lot to be desired and it was what was holding me back, I would at least understand. If I was given a different story each time ("it's the hitting" when my OPS was low, "the footwork" or "the throws to second" when the OPS was good), then I'd be angry at them.

Thrylos
06-12-2012, 05:01 PM
Given this info as fairly valid- and given the evidence that the MWL is pitching around Sano, wouldn't it be better to have him working against pitchers pitching against him in A+ than around him in A?

Yeah. I see no reason that Sano (and Rosario and a couple more) should not be in high A instead of Beloit.

Turd Furgeson
06-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks. So, Sano will have to make adjustments as he moves up a level but I don't see any harm in promoting him. He's been good overall, and pitchers are afraid to pitch to him now. He should continue to be challenged.

Seth Stohs
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Rohlfing and Knudson might be backup catchers. They likely really want Pinto and Kochh to continue to play most every day.

roger
06-12-2012, 05:58 PM

There are two good reasons to keep Pinto at Fort Myers. First, he is on the all-star team which is coming up. Let him stay in the FSL and enjoy it. Second, the player moving up will see a lot of bench time while Herrmann plays. Keep the better catcher at Fort Myers where he will play most of the time rather than sit.

Mchans24
06-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Sano at third is a HUGE asset, keep him there for another year. If he is athletic at all the outfield or 1B will be no problem adjusting to. Remember, he signed as a SS so he obviously has athletic ability.

60ft6in
06-12-2012, 07:14 PM
There are two good reasons to keep Pinto at Fort Myers. First, he is on the all-star team which is coming up. Let him stay in the FSL and enjoy it. Second, the player moving up will see a lot of bench time while Herrmann plays. Keep the better catcher at Fort Myers where he will play most of the time rather than sit.How about the fact that Knudson will be turning 25 in August and they need to see if he can stick... Seems old for A ball? In fact Koch and Rodriguez will be 24 this year. Compared to the few other Midwest teams I looked at we are very old at that position...all 3 catchers(knudson, koch and rodriguez) are older then Pinto and Rohlfing who were at high A.....?? I know age isn't the main determining factor but 24/25 in low A.

Rams officially not a catcher? With not catching, he seems to be at risk of sticking around...?

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-12-2012, 07:37 PM
I was thinking Daniel Santana to AA, Mata to Beloit, Albers to AAA, and Romero to AAA. Albers and Romero don't have fantastic stats, but they have been at the same level for some time now and are both over 25. Albers could be the rotation replacement for Hendriks if he gets called up (instead of Hermsen who is advancing rapidly as you suggested). Romero is on a power surge as of late and he could fit in really well with Rochester's infield. Luis Perdomo should be in AAA, so if there is a spot in bullpen (Oliveros promo) it should be his.

Thrylos
06-12-2012, 08:03 PM
How about the fact that Knudson will be turning 25 in August and they need to see if he can stick... Seems old for A ball? In fact Koch and Rodriguez will be 24 this year. Compared to the few other Midwest teams I looked at we are very old at that position...all 3 catchers(knudson, koch and rodriguez) are older then Pinto and Rohlfing who were at high A.....?? I know age isn't the main determining factor but 24/25 in low A.

Rams officially not a catcher? With not catching, he seems to be at risk of sticking around...?

Koch was drafted in 2011 from college... and played a handfull of games in Etown. So this is practically his first Pro season. Rams is still very young, was a high school draftee. Not catching any more and not sure what's up with him these days.

Seth Stohs
06-12-2012, 08:14 PM
How about the fact that Knudson will be turning 25 in August and they need to see if he can stick... Seems old for A ball? In fact Koch and Rodriguez will be 24 this year. Compared to the few other Midwest teams I looked at we are very old at that position...all 3 catchers(knudson, koch and rodriguez) are older then Pinto and Rohlfing who were at high A.....?? I know age isn't the main determining factor but 24/25 in low A.

Some great points. Thank you! Knudson missed so much time last year, his first full-season, and just was activated by the Snappers maybe 2 weeks ago. Koch is in his first full season. Rodriguez has been around awhile.

And yes, being something like 5-54 might put a player on the hot seat, I'd say! He was listed as a LF.

Shane Wahl
06-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Wow there are a lot of things to comment on. About Sano and 3B . . . I would hope that if he isn't the Twins 3B of the future, that he is the 1B of the future next. And there is NO reason to move him over there for awhile yet as making that transition is nothing really to worry about.

I am generally with Thrylos on a lot of these moves, though I can see why, if not promoting Herrmann, they don't promote Pinto and Koch at the moment. With regard to Herrmann, greengoblinrulz pointed out in my adopt-a-prospect Herrmann thread that Chris has now played a full season at AA with these numbers:

151gms 546ABs .260/.360/.397 29doubles 5 triples 12HR 67RBI 10/13SBs 84bb 112Ks

That is worth noting, regardless of the decline in the BB/K rate and other issues. The power has increased. I would definitely like to see how he does at the next level and there is no worry about him being the full-time catcher at Rochester. And this also could allow for more movement with Pinto and Koch to move up levels as they deserve to do.

I would keep Danny Santana at Fort Myers for awhile yet. Albers and Romero, I agree with promoting, but in the latter case the problem is that the Twins sent their two 3B down to Rochester!

I would like to see some movement in the system and an unclogging of plenty of "veteran" has-beens (never weres) like Thomas, Roof, et al.

MWLFan
06-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Please send back plenty of Snapper reports early and often, as it might be Sano's last weekend in Beloit. ie: How does he do on the charging, barehand pick-up and throw, going to his left/right, short-hop, hot smash, relay to second, relay to home, relay to first from deep behind 3B, etc.

I will try, but it's Fathers day and I will have both my boys at the game this weekend. Which means a lot of distractions. Some of what I have seen is he moves to his left pretty well and charges the ball with authority. His reactions are quick and he gets himself in position to make the throw pretty well. When I saw him earlier he kind of non chalented a few balls and seem to "lolly gag" a bit. But one needs to stop and say 19 years old. How many 19 year old males don't non chalent and lolly gag.

Thrylos
06-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Albers and Romero, I agree with promoting, but in the latter case the problem is that the Twins sent their two 3B down to Rochester!.

I don't think many will cry if the soon to be 32 year old Burroughs is cut and Romero is up there to fill his role as a 1B/3B/DH. I don't see Burroughs having a future with the Twins at this point, so he should go his happy way and stop blocking players who can be considered somewhat of prospects.

2and31guy
06-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Wondering if someone like Caleb Thielbar in AA New Britian would ever get looked at to move up to AAA bullpen...has been in the system for not quite a year yet, but his numbers were outstanding in ft myers and have continued to be very strong in AA. He was a pickup from St. Paul saints last year, and he seems to be a strike throwing pitcher that gets the job done very consistently

twinsfan214
06-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Ugh just heard abour Rosario's injury. No promotion for him anytime soon as he'll be out around 6 weeks.

old nurse
06-14-2012, 12:52 PM
I would like to see some movement in the system and an unclogging of plenty of "veteran" has-beens (never weres) like Thomas, Roof, et al.[/QUOTE]

While it appears the Twins are in no hurry to move people up to Rochester, Wilkin Ramirez is the only player on the Rock Cats roster appearing to be doing that well at the plate. They wouldn't be clogging up the system if there were players to be moved up. Although the role of the minor leagues is to develop players, the bottom line is they have to put out as competitive team as they can. No fans when the team plays consistently poor means no money for the owner.