PDA

View Full Version : Jason Marquis

twinsnorth49
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Went 6 innings in his first start for the Padres vs the Giants, gave up 4 runs, 2 earned, on 9 hits, including a tape measure shot by Buster Posey. He threw 91 pitches, 61 TS and 30 TB, 1 BB and inexplicably 6 SO.

Must be the coaching.

glanzer
06-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Maybe it really is a comfort thing with the National League for Marquis... Maybe he likes to have the bat in his hand. Not that this start was great or anything.

glunn
06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for this report. After what he went through with his daughter's accident, I wish him only the best.

JB_Iowa
06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
I wish him well. I think the Twins were right to release him but I hope he is able to resurrect his career in the NL. Seemed like a decent guy who just couldn't put it together in Minnesota for whatever reason (s).

nicksaviking
06-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Anyone notice that Jason Marquis only gave up 2 ER in 7 IP against the Rangers while striking out 10? This is on top of his first two starts having a 1.46 ERA and a K/9 of 7.3. What the hell? At least his 1.622 WHIP indicates he is about to get a shocking wakeup call.

Seth Stohs
06-18-2012, 11:33 PM
His pitches had so much movement when he was with the Twins that he couldn't control it. If he was able to temper that movement and throw strikes, he's got a long career of success in the National League where he can also hit.

nicksaviking
06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Hopefully, yet there was probably 100% agreement in this forum that the Twins needed to release him. The question needs to be, are the Twins snakebit with extremely inconsistant performances, unfortunate timing and unexpected injuries, or is there something more fundementally wrong with the team's decision making process when it comes to their players?

spideyo
06-19-2012, 01:29 AM
I think it was just bad luck more than anything. He missed much of spring training and the first part of the year dealing with his daughter's accident, and by the time he joined up with the Twins, things were already headed downhill. Hard to find your groove and connect with your team in a situation like that

powrwrap
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Yesterday he pitched 7 innings, gave up 5 hits, 2 R, walked 3 and struck out 10. And lost the game.

Thrylos
06-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Hopefully, yet there was probably 100% agreement in this forum that the Twins needed to release him. The question needs to be, are the Twins snakebit with extremely inconsistant performances, unfortunate timing and unexpected injuries, or is there something more fundementally wrong with the team's decision making process when it comes to their players?

If it is one off and two offs, you can probably attribute it to "luck". But it is many. So there is something going on there.

Brock Beauchamp
06-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Marquis has all the makings of a back-end NL starter. I have no ill will toward the guy, I just thought it was a pretty bad signing by Ryan.

greengoblinrulz
06-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Shocked Rick Anderson couldnt get the best out of him

IdahoPilgrim
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Sometimes you just get a situation where a player and a team just don't gel. It's not the player's fault; it's not the team's fault - it just doesn't click. Best choice is then to let the player go elsewhere (other league, preferably). And I'm sure the situation with his daughter complicated things - that part was just bad luck all around.

powrwrap
06-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Sometimes you just get a situation where a player and a team just don't gel. It's not the player's fault; it's not the team's fault - it just doesn't click. Best choice is then to let the player go elsewhere (other league, preferably).

R.A. Dickey springs to mind.

glunn
06-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Sometimes you just get a situation where a player and a team just don't gel. It's not the player's fault; it's not the team's fault - it just doesn't click. Best choice is then to let the player go elsewhere (other league, preferably).

It would be nice if the Twins could benefit from this phenomena sometime.

CDog
06-20-2012, 12:05 AM
It would be nice if the Twins could benefit from this phenomena sometime.

Carl Pavano?

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
06-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Pavano, Thome (from his time with the Dodgers), Jared Burton are some recent examples. The fact that the Twins are rarely aggressive buyers on the free agent market means they don't get many surprises.

greengoblinrulz
06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Marquis average stuff plays better in the NL where he doesnt have to face the DH & can strategize the lineup as well as him being one of baseballs better hitters gives him an advantage in the NL.
2 small things but when your talent is marginal....it adds up.

There were also a couple early season games where Gardy did him no favors by trying to get extra innings out of him when he got thru 6 or so innings with mirrors & it caught up to him numbers wise

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-20-2012, 04:50 PM
1305pic should explain it all

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
06-21-2012, 07:28 AM
1305pic should explain it all

Oh! he'd been throwing with his left hand while he was here - no wonder he was so bad.

greengoblinrulz
08-11-2012, 09:58 PM
13gms for SD 83.2IP 79h 34er (3.66ERA) 70k (7.5/9) 21bb 10hr's after tonights CG shutout vs Pirates

San Diego must have gotten him to quicken up his pace on the mound:D

Top Gun
08-12-2012, 12:49 AM
I remember him beating the Yankees in April, but the Twins kept jerking him around as the 5th SP, favoring Hendriks, Liriano and Blacky!

Chance
08-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Marquis was/is terrible. He has been subpar his whole career. Don't let 13 games change your opinion on him. He will start sucking soon. He's a worse Blackburn. Strings some great starts together but the rest of them make you want to puke.

birdwatcher
08-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Marquis started 7 games for us and stunk. In the future, he will do that again. His short-term failure here and short-term success there is just one more one-off situation, thrylos. For every player you can give as an example of the ineptitude you always try to find, I can provide an example of a player you performed worse when they left here. When you run out of names, I will have plenty left. Ready, set, go, thrylos.