PDA

View Full Version : Twins recall Chris Parmelee

Parker Hageman
06-07-2012, 10:41 AM
The Twins made a move today sending starter Cole DeVries down to Rochester and recalling the white-hot hitting Chris Parmelee back to the club.

After struggling hardcore at the beginning of the year (http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?527-What-Happened-to-Chris-Parmelee) with the Twins, Parmelee was demoted to AAA and has rediscovered his swing. Interestingly, according to FirstInning.com's data, Parmelee's line drive rate was down to 13% but his zone acumen was significantly better as he walked in 12 of his 58 plate appearances while only coaxing six free passes in 92 plate appearances with the Twins. Overall, the left-handed hitting Parmelee has posted a .350/.500/.707 batting line with four home runs and 12 runs batted in.

He's certainly earned his recall.

Seth Stohs
06-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Other Moves

Cole De Vries optioned to Rochester - when he was called up, I figured that he would just be DFAd when he was sent down. Good for him to just be optioned.

Brian Dinkelman and Sam Deduno activated from the AAA DL, should play for Rochester soon.

Steve Hirschfeld, who made one start for the Red Wings on Wednesday. He was sent back to AA following the game.

mike wants wins
06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Parmalee replaces De Vries? Interesting.

Let's hope Parmalee has found a comfort zone, as I see him as about average on D at 1B, decent AVG, slightly below OBP, and well below SLG.

Shane Wahl
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Pretty fast recall. Does he start every day now? Is Morneau more hurt than perhaps has been let on? I know Parmelee was hitting very well in AAA, his FIRST time there. But only 58 plate appearances? Why not seeing how he does in his first stint in AAA over 158 plate appearances before bringing him up to not play every day?

I hope we don't see Anthony Swarzak in the rotation again.

Mr. Ed
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
From ESPN 1500:
Comments that "
people in the organization believe his stuff wasn't sharp enough to have continued success."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Twins_recall_Chris_Parmelee_from_TripleA_send_Cole _De_Vries_down060712

twinsnorth49
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
When is Pavano coming off the 15 day? Wasn't Devries scheduled to start Sunday? With the off day do they go back to Liriano or give it to Manship for a spot start?

Mauerzy4Prez
06-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Pretty fast recall. Does he start every day now? Is Morneau more hurt than perhaps has been let on? I know Parmelee was hitting very well in AAA, his FIRST time there. But only 58 plate appearances? Why not seeing how he does in his first stint in AAA over 158 plate appearances before bringing him up to not play every day?

I hope we don't see Anthony Swarzak in the rotation again.

I am with you on this one Shane... sometime's I wish I could be a fly on the wall of the meeting room when these choices are made, because this one is puzzling. Yes, Parm is tearing the cover off the ball, but the sample size is still relatively small. This also stumps me because it looks like Justin is starting to come around, and has been pretty frontal about his preference to play 1b vs. DH.

GOOD to see Cole go down and not just get DFA'd entirely, he earned that and should be proud about what he did while he was up... Who takes his spot now? Swarzack, Manship, or do we make another move and bring up Hendricks? I would like to see the latter.

Boom Boom
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
From ESPN 1500:
Comments that "
people in the organization believe his stuff wasn't sharp enough to have continued success."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Twins_recall_Chris_Parmelee_from_TripleA_send_Cole _De_Vries_down060712

I agree with people in the organization.

gunnarthor
06-07-2012, 10:58 AM
This moves just gives us a LH bat on the bench and we're finally down to 12 pitchers. Seems fine. I think we might be overstating the importance of AAA at bats.

Shane Wahl
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
This moves just gives us a LH bat on the bench and we're finally down to 12 pitchers. Seems fine. I think we might be overstating the importance of AAA at bats.

I agree that having a LH bat on the bench would be helpful, but I disagree about AAA at bats, especially after struggling that much this year with the Twins.

Craig in MN
06-07-2012, 11:11 AM
When is Pavano coming off the 15 day? Wasn't Devries scheduled to start Sunday? With the off day do they go back to Liriano or give it to Manship for a spot start?

Devries was scheduled to start on Tuesday, but there is an off day on Monday (and today), so they can skip his spot in the rotation and keep everyone else on schedule for a while. They will need a 5th starter for Sunday June 17. Pavano is available to come off the DL on the 16th, or they figure out something else. It's nice to get a useful bench player, especially with Mauer being a question mark.

Thrylos
06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Cole De Vries optioned to Rochester - when he was called up, I figured that he would just be DFAd when he was sent down. Good for him to just be optioned.

Hard for the Twins to risk losing him with Pavano's shoulder situation not resolved. They will be needing a 5th starter sometime. Now they are betting on Pavano being that but that is not a certain bet. De Vries did alright and proved to be servicable. If a team takes a flyer on Marquis, they for sure have taken one on DeVries. It is a long season and the Twins cannot afford to lose any starters other than in a trade.

stringer bell
06-07-2012, 11:15 AM
De Vries has a victory and a shaving cream pie in the face to show for his time with the Twins. I think eventually we'll see Hendriks, but it wouldn't surprise me if they give Manship a start. With the off day today, the Twins can go Walters, Diamond, Liriano against the Cubs. They wouldn't need a fifth starter until the Brewer series.

twinsnorth49
06-07-2012, 11:17 AM
It's nice to get a useful bench player, especially with Mauer being a question mark.

Amen to that, I'm glad they won last night but when I saw Casilla, Revere and Mastroianni all in the lineup I wasn't overly hopeful. Parm will at least give them some pop factor.

Shane Wahl
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Oops, I can't read a calendar apparently. I thought there was a game Monday. Well sending DeVries down is fine. I just wonder how Parmelee would have fared given 60 plate appearances at Rochester last year and 190 or whatever there this year. If he is playing in a semi-limited role for the Twins for the rest of June and hits .230 in that time, what good is that? Sean Burroughs could have been an option. Oh well.

stringer bell
06-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Hard for the Twins to risk losing him with Pavano's shoulder situation not resolved. They will be needing a 5th starter sometime. Now they are betting on Pavano being that but that is not a certain bet. De Vries did alright and proved to be servicable. If a team takes a flyer on Marquis, they for sure have taken one on DeVries. It is a long season and the Twins cannot afford to lose any starters other than in a trade.From what I understood, the consensus was that it would take Pavano quite a bit longer than 15 days to be ready to start again. They don't need a fifth starter for two series, so why not have the extra hitter?

On merit, Parmelee has earned the recall. He is hitting by far the best of anyone at AAA or AA for that matter. Fitting him in will remain a problem and the Twins don't play in NL parks until they need a fifth starter.

greengoblinrulz
06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
incredible that Gardy actually is takin advantage of off days to better the team.

twinsnorth49
06-07-2012, 11:28 AM
incredible that Gardy actually is takin advantage of off days to better the team.

More incredible than the fact he now actually has options to take advantage of?

stringer bell
06-07-2012, 11:29 AM
I looked through the month of June at the Twins' schedule. If the starters can all go on four days rest, they would need a fifth starter only twice for the rest of the month--the 16th and the 23rd. They could try to slip Manship (or is it Masihp?) in for those two games, especially if he's not needed much in long relief. He has pitched a grand total of 2.1 innings since his recall.

spideyo
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I expect we'll see Parmalee in the OF more than we did the last time he was up there, but he'll mostly be a bench guy. Besides just a Left handed bat with some pop, it also allows gardy the freedom to pinch run for Morneau late in a game and not get hurt defensively. Not that Parm is gonna pinch run, but you could pinch run Casilla, and then slide casilla over and put Parm in Plouffe/Carroll's spot, something like that.

Boom Boom
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I looked through the month of June at the Twins' schedule. If the starters can all go on four days rest, they would need a fifth starter only twice for the rest of the month--the 16th and the 23rd. They could try to slip Manship (or is it Masihp?) in for those two games, especially if he's not needed much in long relief. He has pitched a grand total of 2.1 innings since his recall.

It's actually Mansihp. He and Adam Everett play for the Minnestoa Twins.

Mauerzy4Prez
06-07-2012, 11:38 AM
It's actually Mansihp. He and Adam Everett play for the Minnestoa Twins.

I couldn't believe that when I saw it last night on TV! I wonder why they didn't get him a new jersey, or maybe he had no idea of the mistake?! Either way it made for a good laugh!

greengoblinrulz
06-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Other Moves

Brian Dinkelman and Sam Deduno activated from the AAA DL, should play for Rochester soon.

Steve Hirschfeld, who made one start for the Red Wings on Wednesday. He was sent back to AA following the game.

have their been other moves as this leaves ROC w/27 players.....has there been some DL moves?? This doesnt count Darryl Thompson who is still on the ROC roster for MiLB
I got
DeVries, Henricks, French,Bromberg, Maloney as starters
Guerra, Oliveras, Robertson, Waldrop, Wise, Fien, Vasquez, Slama, Deduno, Guittierrez

Carson, Dink, Ramirez, Thomas in OF
Rivera & Towleas
Burroughs, Chang, Florimon,Valencia, Nishi, Hollimon in INF
27 correct????

StormJH1
06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Like the call-up. This guy isn't 20, he's 24. He's been at AAA now and showed some success, and he's been in the majors in parts of two seasons. The MLB team is terrible, and it does us no good to leave an over-ripe prospect in AAA, when he's one of the few available prospects with any type of power potential. Heck, even Plouffe's getting an extended look, and he's hitting around .175.

Seth Stohs
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
have their been other moves as this leaves ROC w/27 players.....has there been some DL moves??

Daryl Thompson was released. Bromberg was put on the DL earlier in the week. Slama was put on the DL today.

stringer bell
06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Daryl Thompson was released. Bromberg was put on the DL earlier in the week. Slama was put on the DL today.I noticed Slama only pitched a third of an inning. What is his injury?

greengoblinrulz
06-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Daryl Thompson was released. Bromberg was put on the DL earlier in the week. Slama was put on the DL today.

What happenned to David??

Seth Stohs
06-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I noticed Slama only pitched a third of an inning. What is his injury?

"Right Leg Contusion" - He was hit in the leg by a line drive.

jokin
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
I expect we'll see Parmalee in the OF more than we did the last time he was up there, but he'll mostly be a bench guy. Besides just a Left handed bat with some pop, it also allows gardy the freedom to pinch run for Morneau late in a game and not get hurt defensively...... but you could pinch run Casilla, and then slide casilla over and put Parm in Plouffe/Carroll's spot, something like that.

Shouldn't Mauer be available for pinch-running duty? I was a bit surprised that he (or Casilla) weren't inserted in the 9th inning for Willingham. If Gardy had been focusing on the late-game situations and the options available, instead of the ice-cold Falstaffs waiting for him in the training room, the Twins might have pulled off a KC sweep.

Seth Stohs
06-07-2012, 12:04 PM
What happenned to David??

"Right Shoulder Tendonitus"

jokin
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
"Right Leg Contusion" - He was hit in the leg by a line drive.

Hey Seth! Does Slama's injury open up opportunities down the line? I know Tim Atherton is WAY down the line, BUT, there has to be a negative back-story to the ridiculously good numbers he is putting up in Beloit. Can he merit a promotion to Fort Meyers this summer, and is there a chance that he might be another Aussie with major league potential at some point?

greengoblinrulz
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
"Right Shoulder Tendonitus"

is this a real injury or just something to open up a spot on roster. He didnt pitch much last yr, could they be trying to limit his innings??

Yoshii
06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
At first glance I was like why the !@#$ are we bringing parmelee back up, then I saw we sent cole down and felt much better.

SweetOne69
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM

With the offday today and Monday, the Twins won't need a 5th starter until the 16th. Liriano will pitch Sunday and Friday on the normal 4 days rest. I believe that Pavano is eligible to come off of the DL on the 17 so they will need a starter for the 16th. But I believe that Pavano will need to go on a rehab assignment prior to returning as his treatment includes no throwing at all.

SweetOne69
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Until Mauer is ready to return I expect Parmelee to DH when Doumit catches, where they play him otherwise I have no idea.

Dilligaf69
06-07-2012, 12:34 PM
I think it has more to do with Mauer and his situation... He can play 1B on the days Mauer would which is better the Plouffe or Doumit who can continue to catch. Also with another day off today we won't need a 5th starter for another week and we have Manship/Swarzak for the 5th spot, likely Manship.

Rosterman
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Expect they are giving Mauer a few more days before they decide if they really have to disable him. Assume he can come off the bench at some point. Parmelee allows them to have Doumit catch, or Butera...and have neither one of them DH. Justin and Parmelee will split DH/1B. Right now the bench will be reserve outfielder, reserve infielder, whoever isn't catching, and Mauer. And, they don't need to make the 5th starter choice for like 8 games. Picture Hendriks getting the recall. It is a plus for DeVries. He is still in the mix, and can now try what he learned at AAA. Still picture him giving a push to Manship or Swarzak for the long-man role in 2013 depending on Manships otions next year..

jokin
06-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Expect they are giving Mauer a few more days before they decide if they really have to disable him.

Who's disabling whom? For once in a lifetime, I'm with Doogie, no reason to have Mauer come back and try to play hurt like Cuddyer last year. The party line reports don't make the situation sound too positive for a Friday reappearance, the move to bring up Parmalee simply had to be made, the bench options are A's/Mariner-esque right now.

John Bonnes
06-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm having a little trouble sorting this out. There is NO reason to do this if Parmelee isn't going to be playing every day.

Since Mauer has been out, Doumit has been playing C, leaving a spot at DH and in RF. Gardy has been short a player, I think.
- ON Monday, that meant moving Willingham to 1B, Plouffe to LF and an IF CAsilla, Carroll and Dozier
- ON Tuesday, that meant moving guys around and getting Mastroianni in there.
- Ditto Wednesday, except the problem was compounded by resting Span.

With Parmelee, assuming Parmelee is going to play everyday, Gardy has a little more flexibility. Parm can only play three places.... RF, DH and 1B.
RF - replacing Revere, or maybe Span is a little nicked up and Revere slides there.
1B, DH - He and Morneau can swap back and forth at those spots.

I think, ultimately, this means that GArdy doesn't anticipate Butera getting many starts. IF he does, that pushes Doumit to one of the two spots Parmelee has.

Of course, Mauer being healthy does, too. Which raises the question, why not just put Mauer on the DL? Ha. I make funny.

Shane Wahl
06-07-2012, 02:12 PM
This must be a sign they are worried about Morneau, Mauer and/or Span. Otherwise, you just can't play Mauer, Morneau, Doumit, Span, Willingham, Revere, and Parmelee. If the first five are healthy . . . well that means one of the two position player prospects for the Twins is on the bench . . . and clearly Revere deserves to start.

Look at what happened to Tosoni last year when the Twins brought him up and down. Parmelee is better than Tosoni, but still.

I guess they could literally rotate days off for the above-mentioned players . . . . which is not bad in my view. Gardy doesn't seem to do that though.

twinsnorth49
06-07-2012, 02:26 PM
This must be a sign they are worried about Morneau, Mauer and/or Span. Otherwise, you just can't play Mauer, Morneau, Doumit, Span, Willingham, Revere, and Parmelee. If the first five are healthy . . ..

I think it's Mauer, Morneau seems fine and Span has played a lot, I don't read much into him sitting last night. They need the left handed bat who can drive the ball so Parmelee gives the that. mauer will eventually be back though so I'm not sure where this is headed long-term. I agree Revere deserves to play and you can't play Parm like you play Mastro.

jokin
06-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by shanewahl http://twinsdaily.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=23272#post23272)This must be a sign they are worried about Morneau, Mauer and/or Span. Otherwise, you just can't play Mauer, Morneau, Doumit, Span, Willingham, Revere, and Parmelee. If the first five are healthy . . ..

I think it's Mauer, Morneau seems fine and Span has played a lot, I don't read much into him sitting last night. They need the left handed bat who can drive the ball so Parmelee gives the that. mauer will eventually be back though so I'm not sure where this is headed long-term. I agree Revere deserves to play and you can't play Parm like you play Mastro.

Doumit's extensive catching duties are going to require more rest as the season unfolds. Willingham can take some breaks DHing, with a possible OF of Span, Revere and Parmelee and/or Plouffe w/ Mastro strictly for PR and late-inning defense.

SwainZag
06-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I actually think people are reading into this way too much. 13 pitchers were and are not needed on the roster, that leaves a bench of 2 with a backup C. A bench of Butera, Mastroianni and Carroll doesn't leave many options.

nicksaviking
06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm for giving Morneau a few extra days at DH. He has an .850 OBP as DH this year opposed to .765 OBP when playing 1B. He might still be working on getting comfrotable in the field.

jokin
06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
I actually think people are reading into this way too much. 13 pitchers were and are not needed on the roster, that leaves a bench of 2 with a backup C. A bench of Butera, Mastroianni and Carroll doesn't leave many options.

Right on all counts, except the first, we should read into it that Gardy has shown a distinct penchant in him rather having excess pitchers and catchers than are needed over having impactful day-to-day moves to make off the bench in the late innings.

USAFChief
06-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Exactly. No need to expend a lot of brain cells trying to figure out something so simple and obvious.

Dilligaf69
06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I just think it's a prelude to DL Mauer...I think they give him another day or two and if he still can't swing a bat then just retro him...what they'd do with Mauer's spot then i don't know. But I think you'll see Parm play 1B more and DH Morneau.

IdahoPilgrim
06-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Other Moves

I think it makes sense - he stays on the 40-man roster so it's easy to move him back up quickly if he's needed for a spot start or someone goes down.

CDog
06-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm not usually one to try to "read into" moves, but I must say my first reaction to this was "Uh oh...Mauer's thumb is worse than originally thought"...or "Morneau tweaked something." I still don't see them wanting to call up Parmalee to sit much. He plays RF, 1B or could DH. Revere has been playing RF and also falls into the "if he stays he plays." 1B has been Mauer and Morneau almost entirely since Parmalee went down. DH has been mostly Doumit and Mauer. Mauer out would leave Doumit catching more and a spot Parmalee can play needing a fill. Hmmmmm.

John Bonnes
06-07-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not usually one to try to "read into" moves, but I must say my first reaction to this was "Uh oh...Mauer's thumb is worse than originally thought"...or "Morneau tweaked something." I still don't see them wanting to call up Parmalee to sit much. He plays RF, 1B or could DH. Revere has been playing RF and also falls into the "if he stays he plays." 1B has been Mauer and Morneau almost entirely since Parmalee went down. DH has been mostly Doumit and Mauer. Mauer out would leave Doumit catching more and a spot Parmalee can play needing a fill. Hmmmmm.

I thought so too. But if that was the case, I'm sure the Twins would rush to put him on the DL. Ha. Ha. I'm killing it today.

This team's reluctance to put a star on the DL drives me crazy. Just nuts.

mike wants wins
06-07-2012, 04:12 PM
John, you just made me laugh at my desk. Good thing I'm on mute on this conference call.

twinsnorth49
06-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Exactly. No need to expend a lot of brain cells trying to figure out something so simple and obvious.

What a burden it must be to be the smartest man alive