PDA

View Full Version : Article: 2012 Minnesota Twins Draft Picks

Seth Stohs
06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?626-2012-Minnesota-Twins-Draft-Picks

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I know projections for these players sometimes turn out to be untrue, but it seem like nearly every single pitcher the Twins have drafted has ties to the bullpen. They have said they will give some of them chances to start; although, I think it's strange they haven't really drafted a "true" starting pitcher. Maybe they are hoping some of these power arm guys can be dominant, successful starters?

Dilligaf69
06-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Not a deep starting pitching draft from what i've heard outside the 1st round.

Shane Wahl
06-05-2012, 02:58 PM
YHIMH, it's not like the prospect ranks aren't full of middle relievers already! Oh wait . . . that is PRECISELY where the Twins have the most depth in the system.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
No kidding shanewahl! It doesn't help that relievers have zero value in rebuilding a franchise too. I can't complain about the Buxton pick, but this has me scratching my head.

Jim Crikket
06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I honestly don't distinguish much between the value of guys projected to top out at a back of the rotation starter and a good bullpen arm. Given that this draft supposedly had few, if any, projected top of the rotation pitchers (and virtually none after the top 4-5 guys), I guess I don't have a problem with picking hard throwing guys with less milage on their arms, regardless of what role some college or HS coach has slotted them in to.

Shane Wahl
06-05-2012, 03:15 PM
They must be thinking of converting these comparatively underused arms into some starting pitching at the lower levels. Maybe a couple of them stick there.

bulldogguy
06-05-2012, 03:24 PM
Agreed...like every major league baseball draft...let's evaluate this 3 years from now to see where these guys are going. I would be more interested in hearing from the Twins what their initial plan for these pitchers are...are they going to be starters out of the gate or right to the bullpen. Again, week starting pitching crop...why try to fit a square peg in a round hole if it doesn't make sense. Pick the guys that you think you might be able to develop. There is not going to be any immediate help to the Major League roster this year, next year or maybe even the year after that from this years crop. That's how it works in baseball.

jokin
06-05-2012, 03:27 PM
They must be thinking of converting these comparatively underused arms into some starting pitching at the lower levels. Maybe a couple of them stick there.

Isn't there a new Twins Territory commercial already in production, the Big Hrbowski is bowling in the center lane, and suddenly all of those unused lanes to the left and right are anointed by Gardy, and then the new anonymous RPs are throwing strikes down the alleys.

The tag line going out:

"The Minnesota Twins- Less is More"

DaTwins
06-05-2012, 03:31 PM
YHIMH, it's not like the prospect ranks aren't full of middle relievers already! Oh wait . . . that is PRECISELY where the Twins have the most depth in the system.

Not sure what exactly you're talking about here. How much depth to do the Twins have in bullpen prospects? There's a handful of guys, Slama, Waldrop, Guerra, Albers etc. that are putting up good numbers in the minors. But nobody thinks any of them will be elite relievers (or really even close to that). Of all the guys the Twins grabbed this year, there's a chance they may have found a future 'ace' reliever.

jokin
06-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Not sure what exactly you're talking about here. How much depth to do the Twins have in bullpen prospects? There's a handful of guys, Slama, Waldrop, Guerra, Albers etc. that are putting up good numbers in the minors. But nobody thinks any of them will be elite relievers (or really even close to that). Of all the guys the Twins grabbed this year, there's a chance they may have found a future 'ace' reliever.

I agree with the first part, but the "future ace' sounds a bit like a "wild thing" without the high strike out rate. Again, confounding.

Seth Stohs
06-05-2012, 04:02 PM
My hope is that they are picking guys who can throw 95-99 (most of these relievers can) as relievers can move to starters next spring and be able to throw 93-95 as a starter.

boney
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
My hope is that they are picking guys who can throw 95-99 (most of these relievers can) as relievers can move to starters next spring and be able to throw 93-95 as a starter.

You may be forgetting that as Twins prospects they will be asked to back off a little in order to have better control. Leaving them between 89-92 :-).

SweetOne69
06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm guessing Slama is gone after this year unless he is promoted to the Twins. I believe that he can become a 6-year minor league free agent after this season and will elect to do so and who can blame him.

Shane Wahl
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM

There are a dozen guys you didn't mention at least. Oliveros, Robertson, Williams, Hauser, Achter, Bowen, Watts, Pugh, etc. And the general movement is from starter to reliever when guys can't cut it as starters. The point is that it is truly the one area with a lot of depth, at least compared to everything else besides OF.

DaTwins
06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I suppose there is minor league depth in relievers. But IMO I don't see any who could be an 'ace' reliever. Not saying any of the new draft picks do, I don't know any more about them than their BA and MLB.com scouting reports, but they could move up fast and provide actual major league production. Just like anybody, I'd rather they be solid starters than solid relievers. But looking around the MLB right now, there's a ton of value in having young, cost-controlled guys filling up the bullpen.

DaTwins
06-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I agree with the first part, but the "future ace' sounds a bit like a "wild thing" without the high strike out rate. Again, confounding.

For the record, I'm not specifically suggesting anyone of these guys is future 'ace' relievers. Though MLB.com and BA scouting reports suggested a couple have that ceiling.

J-Dog Dungan
06-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I think the draft goes through Rd. 15 today, Seth, but don't quote me on that

Shane Wahl
06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Yeah, it goes through 15 today.

John Bonnes
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
I"ve updated 11 thru 15.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-05-2012, 06:57 PM
After today, I can't imagine that in Rounds 16 and beyond there's anybody that's really signable. I read all the time about players who were formerly drafted in these rounds that re-enter as higher picks in the next rule 4 draft.

Thrylos
06-05-2012, 07:04 PM
For the ones here with twitter, here are the newest Twins with twitter accounts:

@LBard38
@walkoff28 (Adam Walker II)
@LJMazz24
@Dbax24
@trogers34
@Jproc23
@JarretLeverett

Give them some serious Twins family love.

BTW, I have been live blogging this thing and will do the same tomorrow. I got mini profiles for all 15 picks here (http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/search/label/2012 MLB Draft)if interested (reverse draft order)

Shane Wahl
06-05-2012, 07:06 PM
After today, I can't imagine that in Rounds 16 and beyond there's anybody that's really signable. I read all the time about players who were formerly drafted in these rounds that re-enter as higher picks in the next rule 4 draft.

I think over half of them signed last year. College seniors get drafted heavily now. Tim Shibuya, Adam Pettersen, David Hurlbut, and Drew Leachman are some good ones.

wagwan
06-05-2012, 07:29 PM
How many of these guys would make the Twins top 50 list. Here is Seth's 50th ranked prospect How many are better than Trent?

#50 – Trent Higginbotham, RHP

Higginbotham was the Twins 26th round draft pick in 2011 out of high school in Alabama. He signed on the last possible day for a well-above-slot $195,000. The right-hander is 6-2 and 195 and has a very projectable frame with room to grow. He turned 20 years old last week and already boasts a fastball that touches 94 mph. He also throws a curveball and a changeup. I would guess that he will pitch in Elizabethton starting in June, but it is possible that he will start in the GCL.

Seth Stohs
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm guessing Slama is gone after this year unless he is promoted to the Twins. I believe that he can become a 6-year minor league free agent after this season and will elect to do so and who can blame him.

Slama isn't a 6-year minor league F/A until after the 2013 season.

Seth Stohs
06-05-2012, 07:47 PM

The TWins make a point to sign their top 10-15 round picks every year. However, they sign a bunch after rounds 15. They're had a lot of surprise successes after this point. They evern got a couple of high upsider guys the last couple of years.

Thrylos
06-05-2012, 08:26 PM
I can't imagine that in Rounds 16 and beyond there's anybody that's really signable. I read all the time about players who were formerly drafted in these rounds that re-enter as higher picks in the next rule 4 draft.

That does not work if you are a College Senior. Your last chance for pro ball (other than independents) other than being a free agent.

mike wants wins
06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Anyone have a link to Sickel's shadow draft or comments. I can never find my way around SBNation....

Seth Stohs
06-05-2012, 09:14 PM
talking draft with Jeremy Nygaard on a podcast right now.... Listen Here: http://tobtr.com/s/3220569

TwinsGuy55422
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM

With our lack of starting pitching depth, I would think this has to be their intention.

jlovren
06-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I honestly don't distinguish much between the value of guys projected to top out at a back of the rotation starter and a good bullpen arm. Given that this draft supposedly had few, if any, projected top of the rotation pitchers (and virtually none after the top 4-5 guys), I guess I don't have a problem with picking hard throwing guys with less milage on their arms, regardless of what role some college or HS coach has slotted them in to.

I agree, at least they are trying to get power arms.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-05-2012, 11:45 PM
I think over half of them signed last year. College seniors get drafted heavily now. Tim Shibuya, Adam Pettersen, David Hurlbut, and Drew Leachman are some good ones.

That's somewhat of a relief. I was hoping everyone would prove me wrong! I must only be seeing some rare cases. I'd like to get a lot of bargain bin guys tomorrow. It certainly doesn't hurt to be risky in these rounds.

Todd G
06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
You've got to remember that the big knock against college starters is that they have a LOT of mileage on their arms. Taking a reliever limits that quite a bit.

J-Dog Dungan
06-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Unless the players the Twins are drafting are college seniors, you are probably right.

Shane Wahl
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Haha! Purdue pitcher Brad Schrieber selected as the last Twins pick.

Thrylos
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Haha! Purdue pitcher Brad Schrieber selected as the last Twins pick.

Do you know if he had surgery? I know he was out all 2012 with elbow issues. Intriguing guy. Looks a bit like Matt Capps.

clutterheart
06-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Sickels:
http://www.minorleagueball.com/

He doesn't have his shadow draft up yet. - For those of you interested in prospects, poke around his site.
In my opinion one of the best prospect guys out there...and he is a Twins fan...so I am biased.

Shane Wahl
06-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Do you know if he had surgery? I know he was out all 2012 with elbow issues. Intriguing guy. Looks a bit like Matt Capps.

Yes, he had surgery. He would have made a huge difference this year. He strikes people out. He was drafted in the 42 round out of high school . . .

mike wants wins
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Tim (Pittsburgh, PA): What are your overall impressions of the Twins' draft? Thank you taking the time to answer questions!

Jim Callis: I thought they got the best player in the draft in Buxton at No. 2. I like a lot of their other guys (Berrios, Bard, Melotakis, etc.), though most of their top picks went higher than we had them on the BA 500. They got a lot of pitching, no shock because they need it.

nicksaviking
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Teams are already signing their draft picks (and Scott Boras is complaining to everyone who will listen:)), the Braves have signed their top five in fact. How long do the Twins have to start inking their players before people start burning down this site with fire Terry Ryan threads? It would be nice to get these guys signed now so they can get them to GCL in a week and a half when it starts.

mike wants wins
06-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, if Sickels is right, and they are in money saving mode, then I'd guess it will be a lot slower for the Twins, gotta keep that interest on the money in the bank afterall. We'll see.

mike wants wins
06-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Royals have signed Zimmer already....

MWLFan
06-08-2012, 08:52 AM
I know a member of the Schrieber family. The report he had was the surgery went well and Brad was on track to be fully functional for next year's Boilermakers. He throws hard, 95-97, and is a big strong kid who is a very good athelete. He comes from a baseball oriented family with a couple of brothers that have made it to the minors as FA's. Interesting choice he will have going in the 40th round, I would advise him to go back to college and up that stock if he is feeling good. But maybe he feels he is ready and wants to prove himself. Not a lot of $$ at 40.