PDA

View Full Version : DeVries & Hendriks - is it time to switch horses?

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Again tonight DeVries had an average start - not terribly bad, but not terribly good either. Once again he battled gamely for 5 innings, keeping the Twins in the game, but ran out of gas in the 6th. Hendriks, on the other hand, pitched 7 solid shutout innings in Rochester and, the previous game he pitched being an exception, has done quite well.

Is it time to start thinking about switching them around - bringing Hendriks back up to the bigs and sending DeVries back to Rochester? I know he's a local guy and some are cheering for him because of that, but in all fairness he's only been borderline effective, and a big-league starter has GOT to be able to get beyond the 5th inning on a regular basis. Hendriks had his own rough patch when he started with the club up here, but for the most part he's done well in Rochester. Has he been there long enough to get what he needed to be ready for another shot?

What do you all think?

spideyo
06-04-2012, 11:25 PM
I think we need to wait and see how Liriano handles his next start and Blackburn does upon his return. If either of those guys crap out again, we may need BOTH of these guys.

I actually thought De Vries looked a lot better tonight than his last start, a lot more composed. He may have even gotten a "quality start" if our middle infielders hadn't f*ed up. He probably could do with some more AAA time, and I'd be okay with sending him back down as long as his replacement isn't Swarzak.

TwinsGuy55422
06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
As long as Cole keeps pitching like he is, I would keep Hendriks down for a little while longer. I know that Hendriks has been effective in AAA since getting sent down, but since he is hopefully part of our future I would like to see him have several more good starts in Rochester to build up his confidence. I would hate to see him get brought up and struggle again.

Montecore
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Give Devries another shot. The infield errors had to throw him off stride.

NorthwestTwinsFan
06-05-2012, 12:05 AM
DeVries has been far from dominant and will eventually get pummeled by big league hitters, but so far he's gotten the job done much better than some of the other guys the Twins have run out there. So as long as he's somewhat effective, I'd keep him around.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Hendriks deserves to be called up, but right now the Twins need to find the right pitcher for him to replace. Liriano, Manship, and Blackburn should also be on thin ice. I get extremely nervous when Devries pitches and he's been relying on luck for the most part. Although, the Twins should let him enjoy a few more starts in the meantime because once he's sent down, he'll probably never come back.

adjacent
06-05-2012, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=spideyo;22328]I think we need to wait and see how Liriano handles his next start and Blackburn does upon his return. If either of those guys crap out again, we may need BOTH of these guys.

Exactly. Liriano may have cleared a hurdle but in his rehab starts Blackburn wasn't exactly sharp. So, thw Twins may end up needing both De Vries and Hendricks