PDA

View Full Version : MLB Draft Discussion: Day One

Pages : [1] 2

Nick Nelson
06-03-2012, 11:09 PM
The first round of the draft gets underway on Monday night at 6PM CT. The Twins will pick second overall, and then again at No. 32 and No. 42 in the supplemental round. Discuss the picks made by the Twins (and other teams) throughout the evening on this thread.

twinsfanstreif
06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Does anyone know if it will be available to be watched online? I don't have cable and i'd rather not go to a bar to watch the draft.

Nick Nelson
06-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I believe you can watch it on MLB.com.

glanzer
06-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I have definitely watched on mlb.com the past couple years--at least live segments anyway, if not the whole coverage from TV.

I had a dream last night that the Twins went with Correa at #2 and Mitch Brown at #32.

roger
06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
I am beginning to accept they will take either Buxton or Correa at #2. I see them taking the best college arm at #32 and then Mitch Brown at #42, assuming he is still available.

Harrison Greeley III
06-04-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm assuming I'm probably the only person here who is hoping for Zunnino. I know Buxton and Correa have higher ceilings, but I'd prefer the most developed position player.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I have definitely watched on mlb.com the past couple years--at least live segments anyway, if not the whole coverage from TV.

I had a dream last night that the Twins went with Correa at #2 and Mitch Brown at #32.

You have weird dreams. :-)

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 09:17 AM
I am beginning to accept they will take either Buxton or Correa at #2. I see them taking the best college arm at #32 and then Mitch Brown at #42, assuming he is still available.

I agree completely. I actually wonder if Mitch Brown will be taken even that high, or if they wait until 62. Do we really think he's one of the top 30 or so pitchers in this draft?

Steve Lein
06-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm very interested to see how this draft shakes out. I don't think there's a single guy who deserves the full slot $ amount at #2, so I'm hoping whoever the Twins pick signs for their market (Maybe Buxton at $5MIL) not the slot, and somebody falls to 32 who we can throw the extra money at to sign. My big board: Appel, Zimmer, Correa, Gausman, Buxton. Not a big fan of Buxton because he doesn't help the Twins rebuild for 2014 or 2015 (need pitching for that), but whoever the Twins select at #2 will be their #2 prospect the second they sign.

Steve Lein
06-04-2012, 09:26 AM
All the rankings I've seen with Brown have him very firmly in the Top 30 pitchers. Borderline Top 10 High School arm.

twinsfanstreif
06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm still hoping for Buxton/Correa, Stroman, Brown in the first, lofty hopes I know. Giolito falling to 32 woul be cool too!

wagwan
06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Brown is in the top 30 pitchers group yes so he should be there at #42 unless only pitchers get drafted.....and probably will be there later at 63 or 72. That is still very high in the draft. The Twins need to take the best players, not just the best local players.

wagwan
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
As far as need goes, don't the Twins now have a pack of good high draft choice SS in the system? Dozier, Santana, Levi, and Goodrum all come to mind. Where would Correa fit?

Steve Lein
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Many recent Mock Drafts don't even have Giolito being selected in the 1st Round... Twins would need their pick at #2 to sign for a few mil less than the slot recommendation (which I think is very possible) to have a chance at him at #32, but it would be very interesting if it played out that way.

wagwan
06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
And I do not think a finished product catcher is necessary. There are a couple of those in the pipeline. What the Twins need is PITCHING

ScottyB
06-04-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm still hoping for Buxton/Correa, Stroman, Brown in the first, lofty hopes I know. Giolito falling to 32 woul be cool too!

If Giolito falls to 32, he'll go to UCLA for a couple of years.

Thrylos
06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
As far as need goes, don't the Twins now have a pack of good high draft choice SS in the system? Dozier, Santana, Levi, and Goodrum all come to mind. Where would Correa fit?

Third base

wagwan
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Can the Twins afford to have another top pitching prospect on rehab? Gibson, Wimmer and Giolito would be the 3 best guys and all have injury issues. But I guess with Giolito, he would not be looking to hit the majors for 4 years or so anyway....If he is that good the injury would not matter so much. The college guys are expected to contribute sooner

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I agree completely. I actually wonder if Mitch Brown will be taken even that high, or if they wait until 62. Do we really think he's one of the top 30 or so pitchers in this draft?

Sickels has him rated #30 overall, BA has him at #44 overall. He won't slip to 62. He might slip to 42 but I think the Twins take him 32.

wagwan
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Third base Who's on first?

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Two questions on Giolito
1) Will people be disappointed if the #2 pick is Giolito? Seems a little like a reach and a high-risk move.
2) If he falls to #32, BUT the Twins offer him a significant bonus - say they offer him $2.5M instead of $1.5M, taking the $1M from elsewhere - is there any chance he signs?

Seth Stohs
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
John, that's possible if they take Correa at #2 and see if he'll take $1 million below slot, which I would be good with.

I think the Twins draft Brown at #32. I think he's gone by #42. A couple of years ago, they really wanted local product Brad Hand but thought he would fall to their next pick. He didn't.

Steve Lein
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM
My answers:

1) Would not be disappointed, but the risk is too much there I think. Remember, before the injury he was #1 on a lot of lists.

2) Yes there is a chance. We don't know how negotiations are going to play out, but if it functions more like past drafts than people are thinking, the Twins should be able to save a decent amount of money at #2 compared to the slot recommendation. Giolito's injury also throws a bit of a wrinkle, in the idea that he might not want to pass up the money if he gets offered say, a top 10 dollar amount (which is approximately $3 MIL). What if he goes to UCLA and hurts himself again or even worse? Then he might not ever get any money.

Dilligaf69
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
I won't be dissapointed if it's Giolito .. it's a risk but then again it's a UCL strain...it's not torn and there is'nt any plans for surgery...YET. Even if he does have surgery it's another yr of waiting. If they think this kid can be another Strasburg type then they won't mind waiting. They'd have to wait even longer for Buxton to develop so why would'nt they consider Gio. it's not like Appel or Gausman or Zimmer could'nt blow out ther UCL at any time. Every pick is a risk, especially the ML draft so let's everybody stop pretending we know so much about the guys and how upset we'll all be if they don't pick the guy they want.

Dilligaf69
06-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Can the Twins afford to have another top pitching prospect on rehab? Gibson, Wimmer and Giolito would be the 3 best guys and all have injury issues. But I guess with Giolito, he would not be looking to hit the majors for 4 years or so anyway....If he is that good the injury would not matter so much. The college guys are expected to contribute sooner

Agree this was my point in previous post!

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Two questions on Giolito
1) Will people be disappointed if the #2 pick is Giolito? Seems a little like a reach and a high-risk move.
2) If he falls to #32, BUT the Twins offer him a significant bonus - say they offer him $2.5M instead of $1.5M, taking the $1M from elsewhere - is there any chance he signs?

1) Nah, if the Twins decide he's the BPA, go for it.
2) I think the rumor is Giolito wants at least 4m to sign. If the Twins take someone at #2 who signs for 4.5, that saves the team 1.7+1.55 for the #32 pick + 600k they are allowed to go over budget would get them pretty close. But I don't think the Twins will go so far underslot at #2 to make that possible. But I'd love it if the Twins were able to get a top 5 talent and Giolito in the same draft.

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Two questions on Giolito

It would be well woth the risk in my opinion. What's the worst that happens? The Twins would get an extra pick next year if they are unable to sign him this summer. Seeing as everyone is down on this draft class, maybe that's a good thing.

Besides, it's not that the Twins CAN'T go over the draft allowance, it's just that they get penalized if they do. If they go over only 5% of the allowance they get taxed 75% on what they go over. That would be about an extra 600k they could spend if someone unexpected fell to them as long as the club is willing to also give 450k back to the MLB petty fund. An extra million is a lot but if someone like Giolitto was a free agent, a deal would not be held up because of that figure. Going over 5% forfeits future draft picks so that should be out of the question, but going over 5% should be an option if they really are getting a steal.

Intramural Legend
06-04-2012, 11:00 AM
What happens if we don't sign the 2nd pick? I've heard we would get the 3rd pick next year. If true, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to play hard ball to sign under slot with the intention of grabbing higher profile players later on. Worst case scenario we get another high draft pick next year in a non historically bad draft class.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
What happens if we don't sign the 2nd pick? I've heard we would get the 3rd pick next year. If true, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to play hard ball to sign under slot with the intention of grabbing higher profile players later on. Worst case scenario we get another high draft pick next year in a non historically bad draft class.

Well, presumably, the reason to go underslot at #2 is so you can spend that money elsewhere. If the Twins don't sign the #2 pick, they lose 6.2m of their spending cap. So, if they drafted Fried with the expectation he'd sign for 4m and then drafted several above slot guys later, that plan would be ruined if they don't sign Fried. If they're going underslot just to save the Pohlad's some money, well, **** that.

twinstalker
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Sickels loves Correa and wants the Twins to take him (he's a Twins fan). I also think he's the one.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
According to Keith Law's latest mock he has the Twins drafting Buxton but says "There's a late rumor that has them taking right-hander Kevin Gausman and possibly saving a little money to go after some prep righties with their extra picks."

Intramural Legend
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Well, presumably, the reason to go underslot at #2 is so you can spend that money elsewhere. If the Twins don't sign the #2 pick, they lose 6.2m of their spending cap. So, if they drafted Fried with the expectation he'd sign for 4m and then drafted several above slot guys later, that plan would be ruined if they don't sign Fried. If they're going underslot just to save the Pohlad's some money, well, **** that.

I'm thinking more of not signing the pick means we get an additional pick with more potential next year. I don't think it would save the Pohlad's any money, just defer some to next year.

For the record, I would like to see the Twins draft Correa. The lack of competition that Buxton has faced makes me nervous.

luckylager
06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I like Buxton. He's "a highlight reel waiting to happen"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jEOvrNoBlE&feature=player_embedded".

PMKI
06-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Maybe we could have Buxton pitch. He had something like 18 strikeouts in his last game.

luckylager
06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
At least his arm will not be a liability in the outfield...

According to reports from Albert Chen of Sports Illustrated (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/albert_chen/05/22/byron.buxton/index.html), Buxton has clocked the fastest time out of the box by any right-handed prospect since Bo Jackson, and his arm has been clocked at 99 miles an hour (he is going to be a centerfielder, but he has pitched throughout high school). According to that same article written on May 22, Buxton is hitting .545 this season and has stolen 35 bases in 36 attempts. Given the fact that he is 6'3" and currently 180 pounds, he might fill out even more and add on more power.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Keith Law just published his last mock draft (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft/2012/story/_/id/8006782/mark-appel-goes-no-1-keith-law-final-2012-mlb-mock-draft). (Sorry, insider only). He's still going with the Twins getting Buxton. Giolioto goes #11 to the Reds.

He ends the story with some random notes about the Twins looking at Mitch Brown, RHP Shane Watson and Clemson RHP Lucas Sims for #32.

Also, FWIW, John Manuel just suggested on KFAN that the Astros could go a different way with the #1 pick. They're negotiating with their top 5 picks to see who will come in below slot.

mlhouse
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
1.2 Kevin Gausman RHP LSU 6-4 185 Hard to pass over Correa or Buxton if they are available, but the Twins need pitching in a desperate way. If they draft a college arm they can get him into the rotation within two years and let him finish his development at the major league level. Gausman is now my #1 rated college pitcher, and although he does nto project as a sure #1 starter, he should become a solid #2 guy in the rotation and a solid inning eater. Since the Twins need pitching 1-5, that is a big start.

1.32 (Comp) Brian Johnson LHP Florida 6-3 235 Left hander with above average off speed and curve balls to go along with an average fastball. He has command of his offspeed stuff and should be ready to pitch in the big leagues very quickly.

1.42 (Comp) Mitchell Brown RHP Rochester-Century 6-2 210 College arms are in short supply, so restock the lower minors with Minnesota's best prospect. Brown has a plus curveball and is already big league sized.

2.63 Brenden Kline RHP Virginia 6-3 195 Kline has experience as a starter and a reliever, and has a good fastball, curve and slider.

2.72 Patrick Wisdon 3B St. Mary's 6-2 210 Wisdom has good power potential as a 3B and good approach at the plate if he can put it all together and remain consistent.

3.97 Damien Magnifico RHP Oklahoma 6-2 195 Flame thrower that needs to develop a slider, but could become major league closer if he did.

Einstein
06-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Also, FWIW, John Manuel just suggested on KFAN that the Astros could go a different way with the #1 pick. They're negotiating with their top 5 picks to see who will come in below slot.I'm not quite sure how they'd sell that to Astros fans. Perhaps they are just trying to drive Appel's price down.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Mike Radcliffe was just on KFAN w Lavelle. If I heard right, he basically said they would either go with Appel or Buxton, whichever the Astros don't take.

Shane Wahl
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
1.2 Kevin Gausman RHP LSU 6-4 185 Hard to pass over Correa or Buxton if they are available, but the Twins need pitching in a desperate way. If they draft a college arm they can get him into the rotation within two years and let him finish his development at the major league level. Gausman is now my #1 rated college pitcher, and although he does nto project as a sure #1 starter, he should become a solid #2 guy in the rotation and a solid inning eater. Since the Twins need pitching 1-5, that is a big start.

1.32 (Comp) Brian Johnson LHP Florida 6-3 235 Left hander with above average off speed and curve balls to go along with an average fastball. He has command of his offspeed stuff and should be ready to pitch in the big leagues very quickly.

1.42 (Comp) Mitchell Brown RHP Rochester-Century 6-2 210 College arms are in short supply, so restock the lower minors with Minnesota's best prospect. Brown has a plus curveball and is already big league sized.

2.63 Brenden Kline RHP Virginia 6-3 195 Kline has experience as a starter and a reliever, and has a good fastball, curve and slider.

2.72 Patrick Wisdon 3B St. Mary's 6-2 210 Wisdom has good power potential as a 3B and good approach at the plate if he can put it all together and remain consistent.

3.97 Damien Magnifico RHP Oklahoma 6-2 195 Flame thrower that needs to develop a slider, but could become major league closer if he did.

I like this for the most part, except I would like C Kevin Plawecki at 63. Not sure about 97 at this point. After 75 or so, I just get lost in players. Could grab Brown at 32 and then see who is still there at 42.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Go sign Soler. There's your high upside OFer. Then draft pitching. Or, heck, take Correa at that point....I'd love it if they rolled the dice on Soler (the Cuban free agent), who BA just said (or KLAW, can't recall which), would go in picks 4-9 this year if he was draftable....

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Go sign Soler. There's your high upside OFer. Then draft pitching. Or, heck, take Correa at that point....I'd love it if they rolled the dice on Soler (the Cuban free agent), who BA just said (or KLAW, can't recall which), would go in picks 4-9 this year if he was draftable....

I like the idea of signing Soler, regardless of how we draft.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 03:07 PM
So what if Astros take Buxton instead? I gotta think that's a possibility since Boras represents Appel and is unlikely to even consider a discount. If they take Buxton, do you think Appel is a no-brainer? It would sure be nice to add a nice arm that could be ready in a year or so.

Gernzy
06-04-2012, 03:13 PM
So what if Astros take Buxton instead? I gotta think that's a possibility since Boras represents Appel and is unlikely to even consider a discount. If they take Buxton, do you think Appel is a no-brainer? It would sure be nice to add a nice arm that could be ready in a year or so.

Yes Appel is a no-brainer. This place would explode if we get the chance to draft Appel and don't.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Boras burned the Twins twice - once with Belcher and again with Lee. My understanding is that they haven't drafted a Boras guy since Lee, in 1996. I don't think they'd draft Appel, although they said they would. If Buxton's gone, I think they choose between Correa and Zimmer.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Will he take slot? Or will he want the extra mil that comes with going #1 overall? If he won't take slot, I would look seriously at Zunino or Gausman.

Nick Nelson
06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
I think the Boras angle is overblown. With the new slot caps, there's not really much incentive for a player to hold out and go unsigned, especially if he's the No. 1 or 2 pick.

drivlikejehu
06-04-2012, 04:34 PM
The problem is that the caps are quite high compared to the available talent this year. The Twins may take Buxton and offer $5 million, basically thinking he couldn't possibly walk away.

James Richter
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
I think the Boras angle is overblown. With the new slot caps, there's not really much incentive for a player to hold out and go unsigned, especially if he's the No. 1 or 2 pick.
It'll be really interesting to see how this dynamic plays out. There's no reason to think any of the top 8-10 guys would be drafted as high again in the future, so they don't really have any leverage, and their agents should know it.

From what I've read, the Mariners love Zunino and the Orioles prefer Gausman, which means if Appel doesn't go #1 or #2, he could fall to #5. That's about half the slot money of #1. If he's available at #2, I'd tell Boras he's got 5 minutes to accept $5.5M from us or else we're taking Correa. Then take the $700K saved plus the $600K we can safely go over and be aggressive with the BPA who's dropped into the supplemental round.

Thrylos
06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Who's on first?

Whomever of Sano/Harrison is not at the OF

ashburyjohn
06-04-2012, 04:52 PM
I'd tell Boras he's got 5 minutes

There's a little bit of Walter Mitty in all of us. :)

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 05:15 PM
MLB Network coverage has started. They're interviewing a bunch of the prospects now. AFter reading more about Buxton, I'm really hoping the reports are correct and he falls to the Twins.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
5:16 PM - They're about to have a feature on Buxton on the MLB network. That's ch 733 in Mpls Comcast.

Mr. Ed
06-04-2012, 05:23 PM
MLB Network coverage has started. They're interviewing a bunch of the prospects now. AFter reading more about Buxton, I'm really hoping the reports are correct and he falls to the Twins.

Another project. They're working so well in this org.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Is Byron Buxton faster than Ben Revere? Buxton is said to have 80 speed.

Mr. Ed
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I like the idea of signing Soler, regardless of how we draft.

yes Please do so. Can't draft well,might as well do better in signing a guy.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
yes Please do so. Can't draft well,might as well do better in signing a guy.

Do you guys really see us getting Soler? I don't see it happening.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
FWIW, the MLB Network is absolutely ga-ga over Buxton. They're making it sound like the Astros are making a huge mistake if they don't take him.

maxisagod
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
People believe Buxton is the best talent. I just worry about a guy trying to learn power IN the Twins Org.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
People believe Buxton is the best talent. I just worry about a guy trying to learn power IN the Twins Org.

We could say the same thing about any pitcher they may draft high...they will make him pitch to contact

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
No, I don't see them spending money on Soler, which would be a mistake. They have very little talent in the minors, and he would be a top 10 pick from what I've read. They cut payroll this year, and next year will be even lower unless they sign several free agents for real money. But no, I don't see it happening.

Not everyone believes Buxton is the best talent, plenty of experts and scouts on line don't have him number 1. Lots do, of course.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow Albert Almora.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Wow Albert Almora.

Will be a Cub...book it

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow 7 benefits in every bottle! Mauer always gets the ladies in his commercials...

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Twins your minor league system is devoid of talent...please don't take a player to try and save a few $.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Astros took Correa!! WOW!

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Holy shclamoley...did not see that coming.

PMKI
Wow now the Twins are going to get Appel :(

wagwan
wow now what??????

John Bonnes
Holy CRAP! About an hour ago I almost asked out here if the Astros totally change things up and take Correa, would you prefer Buxton or Appel. So which do you want?

maxisagod
This is going to get out of hand....

Jim Crikket
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Astros leave the Twins with a big decision to make. Wow... hilarious.

John Bonnes
I want Buxton.

maxisagod
Buxton! on the record.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm guessing Correa took under slot money. I still go with Buxton.

Jim Crikket
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Have to wonder if that pick was a big giant Screw You to Boras

Sid Hartman
Terry Ryan already has to make a franchise defining decision

wagwan
no Boras and Appel

YourHouseIsMyHouse
Buxton, Zimmer, Gioloto, or Appel and I'm happy.

Neinstein
06-04-2012, 06:21 PM
torn. both will be good.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Gotta be Buxton, no offense to Appel but college boy pitchers haven't gelled well with Gardy in the past (see: Slowey, Kevin; Dickey, R.A.)

SpiritofVodkaDave
06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Gotta be Buxton, no offense to Appel but college boy pitchers haven't gelled well with Gardy in the past (see: Slowey, Kevin; Dickey, R.A.)

Dickey? Really?

PMKI
Stupid Appel......

John Bonnes
I wonder if Correa was a signability pick. I'm betting the Twins go with Buxton, who both has the higher ceiling and doesn't have Boras as an agent.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Couldn't think of another, wanted to post quickly

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Buxton over Appel! Wow.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:25 PM
We got him!!!! WE GOT HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PMKI
06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Great pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Lookout Landing (M's baseball site) is going nuts. They expected one of Correa or Buxton.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Buxton doesn't look happy to be a Twin. :(

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
"Last time the Twins drafted an outfielder number 1 was Torii Hunter"? Sorry Denard, Revere, and Hicks

Shane Wahl
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Hatin' on all the pitchers . . .

PMKI
06-04-2012, 06:33 PM

I was thinking the same thing....

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM

I sure hope they talked to his agent to make sure he's willing to sign...

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
My New Top Twins Prospects
1. Byron Buxton
2. Miguel Sano
3. Oswaldo Arcia
4. Aaron Hicks
5. Eddie Rosario
6. Kyle Gibson
7. Joe Benson
8. Liam Hendriks
9. Travis Harrison
10. Hudson Boyd

Shane Wahl
06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
My New Top Twins Prospects
1. Byron Buxton
2. Miguel Sano
3. Oswaldo Arcia
4. Aaron Hicks
5. Eddie Rosario
6. Kyle Gibson
7. Joe Benson
8. Liam Hendriks
9. Travis Harrison
10. Hudson Boyd

In no way would I put Buxton above 4 at this point.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I sure hope they talked to his agent to make sure he's willing to sign...

Oh man don't get me worried. All that fantasizing about who we get to end up with no one?!

James Richter
06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Fascinating that the Astros made us choose between Appel and Buxton. It looks as though Buxton adds the most value, so I think it was the right decision. Now watch Boras' guy drop from $7.2M to under $3.5M!

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
It looks like Appel picked the wrong agent.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Scott Boras may really be costing Appel a lot of money (ironic). He's dropping slots like crazy!

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
This is feeling a lot like a middle finger to Boras by MLB.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Now watch Boras' guy drop from $7.2M to under $3.5M!

I dare to dream right with you (I do wonder if Boras would send Appel to the Saints just to spite the mid-major markets)

Shane Wahl
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Wow. It's Gausman, Zimmer first. The Cubs are likely taking Almora.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
GOOD GOD! I love this! Drop Appel Drop!! (Feel's like there's an Isaac Newton joke to make, but I'm not that smart)

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 06:44 PM
All along, the services have said that the three college right-handers are basically interchangeable. With the new signing bonus system, it appears they're very cognizant of signability. Why would anyone take Appel over the other two once his hometown passes him up.

Lord, but it has to be awkward in the Boras-Appel camp right now.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Appel might want to fire Boras now before he costs him anymore money

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I think the Cubs will take Almora, Fried, or Appel.

Oh, and take notes Buxton. That's how you reaction to being drafted (Zimmer).

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Congrats everyone we are all 12 years younger according to Bud...2000 MLB Player draft

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Does anyone know where there's a list of what all the draft bonuses are for each pick? I'm wondering just how much they have fallen for Appel already.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
(Feel's like there's an Isaac Newton joke to make, but I'm not that smart)

That was funny enough for me, lol.

IdahoPilgrim
At this point you wonder if Appel-Boras were asking for significantly above slot, and don't know what to do now.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Does anyone know where there's a list of what all the draft bonuses are for each pick? I'm wondering just how much they have fallen for Appel already.

Baseball America has one - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/2012/2613398.html

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Here you go http://www.mymlbdraft.com/2012-mlb-draft-slot-values

Seth Stohs
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Come on, ya'll... Boras is setting it up so that Appel goes where he wants, and he'll still get his money.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
7.2 million to 2.9million or less.
I really like Fried. He has a great delivery. Oh, and I've been using this for slot values. http://bit.ly/LelxM2

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Come on, ya'll... Boras is setting it up so that Appel goes where he wants, and he'll still get his money.

Good for that team...they are going to blow all their draft budget on 1 player.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM

Only problem with that is the draft is 40 rounds long - somebody will take him in a later round, just on a flyer, which makes him unable to shop his services as a free agent.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Good for that team...they are going to blow all their draft budget on 1 player.

That team sounds like it may be the Nationals.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 06:58 PM
That team sounds like the Nationals.

They are going to have to take a lot of marginal players in rds 2-10 which will push some talent down and they need to get guys signed below slot value to funnel that money to Appel

ashburyjohn
This is feeling a lot like a middle finger

Have to take your word on that. :)

John Bonnes
Ok, so the bonuses now are around $3M. If Appel-Boras are going to be asking for above slot, the team has to be wondering "Are we going to need to draft some signable nobody with our #2 pick just to get Appel? And is he just going to reenter the draft anyway next year at this point?"

This could truly be bizarre. At what point do you risk it? Usually, the longer you wait, the less the risk. But with this system, the longer you wait, the risk can increase, because you're limited in how much bonus money you can spend.

PeanutsFromHeaven
Going back to Buxton for a second, what kind of ETA do people think he has? 2016, '17 Later?

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
This is the Twins...and I'd guess at least 4.5 years from now, so 2017.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Going back to Buxton for a second, what kind of ETA do people think he has? 2016, '17 Later?

2016 for any normal MLB team. 2017 for the Twins.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Pittsburgh has a total bonus cap of $6.5M; how much of that do you think Appel is getting?

Jim Crikket
06-04-2012, 07:05 PM
This is the Twins...and I'd guess at least 4.5 years from now, so 2017.

Yeah, I'd say a debut in 2017 and a regular in 2018. Makes him under team control during what's likely to be his most productive years. I don't see them rushing him. Short season this year, One level per year after that.

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Ha I find it hard to believe Boras engineered his client going to Pittsburgh! I guess we will see Appel here after all we just have togo to St. Paul

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 07:13 PM
So Pirates take Appel. Slot is $2.9M. Pirates next is #46 at $1.1M. After that it's #69 at $750k.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Say they pick a guy at #46 that everyone thinks is a reach, should have gone do picks later. Maybe they save a few hundred thousand on him for Appel. Maybe they do the same at #69 and add another hundred thousand. Will that be enough?

Would anyone be shocked if Boras just held him out for a year? If Boras does so, does he compound the problem next year? The Pirates GM just bit off a mouthful, I'm afraid.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Anybody worried about the reaction Buxton had?

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
So Pirates take Appel. Slot is $2.9M. Pirates next is #46 at $1.1M. After that it's #69 at $750k.

It'll be interesting to see what they do. Say they pick a guy at #46 that everyone thinks is a reach, should have gone do picks later. Maybe they save a few hundred thousand on him for Appel. Maybe they do the same at #69 and add another hundred thousand. Will that be enough?

Would anyone be shocked if Boras just held him out for a year? If Boras does so, does he compound the problem next year? The Pirates GM just bit off a mouthful, I'm afraid.

He can always go back and play his senior year in college and try again next year. Problem is, he loses leverage then; drafted seniors have almost none.

gunnarthor

Not at all. Being on tv/radio is tricky. Dylan Bundy looked horrible last year when MLB was interviewing him.

maxisagod
I'm not worried about Buxton. He just became a millionaire and his whole town was screaming behind him. He was in shock. He'll sign for slot.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM

I was a little, but it also sounded like he was having problem with his audio and couldn't hear what the studio was asking him, so it is probably nothing. I hope...

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I think he was bummed out because his girlfriend had just asked to borrow his credit card as soon as the pick came in.

PMKI
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Anyone know who's faster: Ben Revere or Buxton?

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Buxton acted exactly the same a half hour earlier when they interviewed him. He seemed to have trouble hearing and like he was trying to be modest and low key (or maybe cool). He also does not have the gift of gab. IMHO, nobody should read anything into it about his feeling regarding the Twins.

luckylager
06-04-2012, 07:28 PM

No. Initial reaction was fine. Then had to be cool in spite of background noise and high school classmates.

Thrylos
06-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes. Buxton seemed overwhelmed by the whole thing. Nothing to reflect against the Twins.

The nice thing about the way this is going so far (and the Mets just picked as I am typing this) is that there is plenty of pitchers for the Twins to grab with #32 and #42. And I think it will be Mitch Brown at #42 as this is going. If someone like Marcus Stromen or Michael Wacha are still availiable at #32, that would be pretty incredible haul... We'll see

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Anyone know who's faster: Ben Revere or Buxton?

Considering they say he might be the fastest right handed batter to 1B since Bo Jackson I might have to take Buxton

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
If Giolito falls to #32, would you gamble on being able to sign him? Especially given that Buxton probably isn't coming at a discount?

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Absolutely. If the Pirates can make Appel fit, the Twins can do the same with Giolitto.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I love the Nationals drafting philosophy...STEAL

ScottyB
06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Next year's trade - Span for Giolito

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:01 PM
I love the Nationals drafting philosophy...STEAL

Apparently the Nats are not scared of the elbow. They drafted another kid who throws 100 plus. You can clearly see the plan taking shape. I wish the Twins could say the same.

Miles
06-04-2012, 08:06 PM
It's pretty easy to look like a great GM when you draft #1 two years in a row and Strasburg + Harper are sitting there.

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:10 PM
What about Storen? Zimmerman? they have been picking well for the last 6 years or so.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
So, if the next pick comes up, and the best player is another hitter, by say 10% or so (or 1 tier...), would you still take BPA?

Miles
Very true, but they've been drafting in the top-10 forever. Storen and Zimmerman went something like 9th and 4th overall. I realize drafting is highly risky and subjective, but there seems to be a lot less risk when you're drafting early every year.

Miles
That being said, absolutely love the Giolito pick for Washington.

luckylager
06-04-2012, 08:20 PM
So, if the next pick comes up, and the best player is another hitter, by say 10% or so (or 1 tier...), would you still take BPA?

Yes. Best player available.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I wonder if Marrero could still be there at #32. Would Twins dare draft him?

Miles
06-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Marrero was in consideration for the #1 overall pick before the current college season. He's still considered somewhere in the mid-teens from what I'm reading. It's not like the Twins have an overabundance of great middle infielders. If he's there at #32, I'd say pull the trigger.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I wonder if Marrero could still be there at #32. Would Twins dare draft him?

He's still a Boras guy. Not sure if the Twins would do that. I'd be ok with it though.

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:33 PM
That being said, absolutely love the Giolito pick for Washington.

Strasburg, Gonzales and if he pans out Giolito. Three dominant arms.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Marrero was in consideration for the #1 overall pick before the current college season. He's still considered somewhere in the mid-teens from what I'm reading. It's not like the Twins have an overabundance of great middle infielders. If he's there at #32, I'd say pull the trigger.

Dead on. I think I might, too. Could be elite defensively.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Wish this was covered better....like a list someplace of the best available....

Miles
06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Marrero to the BoSox. Oh well. Still several highly-ranked arms on the board. Most of them are HS kids. Hope we're not locked in on a college arm.

Sid Hartman
Dead on. I think I might, too. Could be elite defensively.

Well that ends that

Dilligaf69
Back to back jacks by Justin and Trevor...7-4 Twins!

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
And as I hit enter, the Red Sox draft Marrero.

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
McCullers?

Miles
06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
McCullers?

Would be awesome, but could he slide another7 picks?

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
And as I hit enter, the Red Sox draft Marrero.4

And a bullet has been dodged. Just what the Twins do not need, a light hitting infielder.

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Would be awesome, but could he slide another7 picks?

MLB.com just said they think he slides to sandwich round.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Here's the list of BA's top 500. Players in bold have been drafted.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft-preview/?srch=byNatRank&top=500&submit=Search#

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks, I had no idea that's what the bold meant...

Miles
06-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Pitchers still available (BA rankings): 13-McCullers, 23-Hensley, 24-Smoral, 30-Watson, 31-Eflin, 32-P.Johnson

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Looks like a lot of pitchers will be there for the Twins to pick from.

jlovren
06-04-2012, 08:51 PM
The Twins need strikeout pitchers. No control guys or pitch to contact guys.

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Is McCullers likely a reliever?

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
KLAW has Eflin number 14 overall...Smoral at 30,

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Is McCullers likely a reliever?

Depends on who drafts him but seeing as the Twins are giving both Boer and Boyd shots at atarting I would think they would give this flame thrower every opportunity. Many people had both as bullpen arms last year.

Thrylos
06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't think that McCullers will be signable in the sup round. Speaking about signability, looks like Appel might elect to go back to College, there is some weirdness going on there because he is off-limits from the media per the Pirates. Interesting story to follow.

jwestbrock
06-04-2012, 09:04 PM
KLAW has Eflin number 14 overall...Smoral at 30,

Baseball America has Eflin 31 and MLB.com has him 25, so there's that. Smoral is also 24 and 28 respectively.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 09:07 PM
From Twitter...Appel is refusing conference call with Pittsburgh media. Enjoy watching him pitch in St Paul

John Bonnes
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
OK, do we still think it'll be Brown? Or will Twins chase one of these higher ranked guys?

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
It has to be hard, everyone, everyone, had Appel going 1, maybe 2 or 3. He lost millions and millions from what he expected for weeks now. That said, I'd do the presser and say that I'm surprised, and we'll see how negotiations go. OTOH, I'm not sure having the presser is a good idea if you are thinking about not signing....not win situation really.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I hope they go higher ranked, and ignore the silly "he's one of us" thing.

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
What does Appel think he will accomplish by going back to school unless he drops Boras? Nothing will have changed and noone will pay over slot.

Thrylos
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
OK, do we still think it'll be Brown? Or will Twins chase one of these higher ranked guys?

Especially now the way this is going, Brown is not on any other teams radar... I think he might be at #42. They should take a higher ranked pitcher at #32. Maybe a College kid

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Phil Mackey ‏@PMac21 (https://twitter.com/#!/PMac21)
Oh. RT @JonHeymanCBS (https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS): (Mark Appel statement) "... I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time.''

jwestbrock
06-04-2012, 09:15 PM
They have to go BPA, if they have him higher than McCullers, Eflin, Smoral, even Piscotty or Gallo as hitters, you take him, but I have a hard time seeing them being that high on him when BA has him 44 and MLB has him 51. I have to believe he'll still be there at 42.

twinsfanstreif
06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
McCullers or Smoral!!!

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Phil Mackey ‏@PMac21 (https://twitter.com/#!/PMac21)
Oh. RT @JonHeymanCBS (https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS): (Mark Appel statement) "... I will address the possibility of a professional career in due time.''

I'd be pretty upset if I was a Pirates fan right now. This is immature, hemade his bed by signing with Boras, he needs to sleep in it.

PeanutsFromHeaven
06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
If McCullers has signability issues would the Twins simplify with a less demanding player (Smoral or Eflin?) or gamble on a pricier pick and trust Brown drops to the 40s with a hometown discount

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 09:22 PM
If anyone can afford Mccullers it's the Twins. Bill Smith always said he was a numbers guy not a talent evaluator. Time to make yourself useful, crunch the numbers and make this fit.

minn55441
06-04-2012, 09:22 PM
I'd be pretty upset if I was a Pirates fan right now. This is immature, hemade his bed by signing with Boras, he needs to sleep in it.

There aren't many teams that can afford to just throw away a first round pick. The Pirates certainly aren't one of them.

Sid Hartman
06-04-2012, 09:23 PM
There aren't many teams that can just throw away a first round pick. The Pirates certainly aren't one of them.

Pirates loss is St Paul Saints gain lol

Einstein
06-04-2012, 09:27 PM
Pierce Johnson?

maxisagod
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Pirates loss is St Paul Saints gain lol

He is a college Junior, he'll go back senior year.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Smoral would be great at #32

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
1 minute? Geeze, that's ridiculous.

gunnarthor
One minute? That'll go fast

minn55441
Best pitcher available or best player available?

minn55441
06-04-2012, 09:32 PM
What if they can't understand Tony O? Do we still get the guy we want?

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Berrios? Wow, great pick.

neky0801
06-04-2012, 09:34 PM
So we essentially get Willingham, a solid prospect, and salary relief for Cuddyer? That seems like a "trade" we might have actually got right.

Dilligaf69
Never heard of this guy!

PeanutsFromHeaven
Well...clearly the Twins board is different than the bloggers' board, welcome aboard Orlando Berrios!

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Um, wow. Overdraft if you trust BA, KLAW and others....Um, I hope everyone else is wrong....

jlovren
06-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Good pick! Power pitcher and an athlete. Keep it going.

mike wants wins
KLAW had him 73...BA had him 49....

nicksaviking
Drafts are so exciting. Wishing we had another pick for letting Capps walk though.

minn55441
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
So we essentially get Willingham, a solid prospect, and salary relief for Cuddyer? That seems like a "trade" we might have actually got right.

I'm with you. That was a great decision. I don't think we lost much in essentially trading Cuddy for the hammer, for less money and then throw in a young pitcher. This is what a GM is supposed to do.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
So, did they have to pay overslot to get Buxton, and this is their way of making up the difference?

Miles
06-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Berrios = Meh. Would like to know what the staff saw that put this kid above several generally higher-ranked prospects. Disappointing.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
The ESPN scout that ins't KLAW just said "chance to start" for the Twins pick, while the next pick "2/3" upside.....

maxisagod
So, did they have to pay overslot to get Buxton, and this is their way of making up the difference?
No, but he won't go under-slot. I like the pick a lot and he should be signable.

gunnarthor

He's not much (if any) of an overreach. Sickels had him 37 and took him at 32 in his shadow draft. Yankee blogs wanted him at 30. Has a real fastball, lots of time to get better.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 09:42 PM
OK, why not? I'm game.

Einstein
06-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Mitch Brown at 42?

minn55441
06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
He's not much (if any) of an overreach. Sickels had him 37 and took him at 32 in his shadow draft. Yankee blogs wanted him at 30. Has a real fastball, lots of time to get better.

None of us has seen him pitch. You have to trust the scouts we have and realize that he isn't going to be pitching for the Twins for many years. Young arms need a lot of time to develop. They must be very high on his talent.

twinsfanstreif
06-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I liked Berrios but with McCullers on the board I'm a little disappointed. I guess McCullers was a hard sign. Smoral would've been good too but he's probably a hard sign too and may end up have injury problems. The thing about Berrios that scares me is mayo says he might not get that much better, sounds like a reliever to me. Hopefully he works out though. Man, Plawecki and Light gone already, I liked both those guys, bummer. Here's to Mitch Brown at 42!

nicksaviking
06-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Perhaps picking Barrios was a prelude to picking over slot at 42.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Why do I have to trust the scouts? We can only know what we read on line, and other than Sickels, good luck finding anyone that had him in the top 45. The ESPN guy says he has a chance to start, and Mayo says he won't get much better. Not sure why you'd do that if other guys are on the board.

jwestbrock
I'm wondering if they maybe got a guy they liked, but think they can save some money and will take and pay McCullers?

IdahoPilgrim
So does anybody have any stats on what percentage of draftees actually end up signing? Of the 43 players we select this year, how many will actually join the system?

twinswon1991
06-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Drafts are so exciting. Wishing we had another pick for letting Capps walk though.

x2 Ryan should be fired for wasting a potential high upside guy for the right to overpay for a mediocre closer that won't make 1 game difference in standings.

Dilligaf69
06-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Berrios = Meh. Would like to know what the staff saw that put this kid above several generally higher-ranked prospects. Disappointing.

Several teams "reached" if you go strictly by rankings...

Dilligaf69
06-04-2012, 09:51 PM

Supposed to have a great curve too..

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:51 PM
What else but rankings can we go on? This isn't like other sports where we can see these guys play.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Bard? Didn't see that coming.

mike wants wins
Luke Bard, BA has him 93....wth are the Twins doing? KLAW had him 66th...really, one of these guys would be there in round 2, if not both.

PeanutsFromHeaven
So does anybody have any stats on what percentage of draftees actually end up signing? Of the 43 players we select this year, how many will actually join the system?

Last year I think it was 33/52 who signed, first 14 rounds all signed

Einstein
06-04-2012, 09:53 PM
If they wanted a college arm I would have thought Pierce Johnson.

jlovren
jeez, i shouldnt be shocked. terrible pick.

mbents
x2 Ryan should be fired for wasting a potential high upside guy for the right to overpay for a mediocre closer that won't make 1 game difference in standings.

I don't think Ryan should be fired for re-signing Capps, but I'm getting tired of how much they overvalue the save statistic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Capps pitches well enough that we could trade him for something in July. Also that the other GMs have amnesia.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:54 PM
from espn....

His low slot and lack of a weapon against lefties point to a career in relief, but he does have the fastball and possible out pitch to be a starter if he's healthy and can develop a changeup.

nicksaviking
Buzz killed. I don't think there is a very high ceiling for Bard.

twinsfanstreif
I'm really disappointed, I hope they think brown will still be there in the second.

PeanutsFromHeaven
I officially have no more excuses not to grade essays--thank you all for the amusement/discussion/education

gunnarthor
I'm going to be pretty angry if the Twins don't spend all of their draft budget.

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
After Buxton, I'd give them a D. Both guys might have been available in round 2, at least one of them. You don't pick two guys that will be available in later rounds, that's not good strategy.

IdahoPilgrim
06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Again I ask, how much did Buxton cost over slot?

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe they are saving their money for Soler....or maybe they want to only draft pitchers whose upside is reliever, because they are going to sign a bunch of FA starters.

gunnarthor
This is MLB.com's scouting on Berrios "As the spring progressed, few high school arms had more helium than this right-hander from Puerto Rico. A strong "undersized right-hander," Berrios has a compact and sound delivery that produces two potentially plus pitches. He can throw his fastball now in the 93-96 mph range, perhaps even touching a 97 mph at times. He can elevate the fastball when he needs to and can work down in the zone as well, showing good life to the heater when he does. He backs that up with a power breaking ball, around 80 mph, that's an absolute hammer. His changeup is behind the other two, common for pitchers at this level, but he's shown a feel for it, and it has the chance to be a usable third pitch. He's aggressive and throws strikes, for the most part. While he's young, he's mature, both physically and in terms of his mound presence. There isn't much projection -- he's not the type of prep arm who projects to be much more than he is -- but he has more than enough now stuff to draw a lot of attention in the early stages of the Draft."

twinswon1991
The Twins are horrible at drafting AND developing pitchers. I have NO faith in this organization. They need to clean house from top to bottom.

The only saving grace is that they stuck to the BPA and took Buxton at #2. Buxton has a chance to be the player we all were told Benson, Hicks, Revere and Span could be.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Again I ask, how much did Buxton cost over slot?

No one knows right now but I doubt the Twins would be the team go way overslot on the first pick, esp in this draft. I'd imagine he signs for around 6m

drivlikejehu
06-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Buxton will not get the slot max. It's just a question of how much less. My guess would be a little over $5 million.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
The Twins are horrible at drafting AND developing pitchers. I have NO faith in this organization. They need to clean house from top to bottom.

The only saving grace is that they stuck to the BPA and took Buxton at #2. Buxton has a chance to be the player we all were told Benson, Hicks, Revere and Span could be.

Guess they were lucky to win all those games and develop two MVPs. -sigh- I really don't understand why there's so much negativity. They're in a down cycle, it's normal.

drivlikejehu
06-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Guess they were lucky to win all those games and develop two MVPs. -sigh- I really don't understand why there's so much negativity. They're in a down cycle, it's normal.

There's no such thing as a "down cycle." Some teams choose to rebuild- the Twins amped up spending and collapsed anyway. That's just making poor decisions and having it catch up to them. No one forced them to make bad decisions.

twinsfanstreif
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Does the Bard pick remind anyone else of Bashore? I hope he doesn't go the same route.

J-Dog Dungan
06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Are the Twins hoping that Mitch Brown slips to them in the second round, or are we seeing them liking him where they actually might not?

twinswon1991
06-04-2012, 10:07 PM

You could count the number of good draft picks, good trades and development sucess stories on one hand for this organization. Terry Ryan is skating by on the rep he built 10-20 years ago. Lately Terry, Radcliffe, Billy Smith, Johnson etc have been outclassed by smarter more modern-thinking front office folks. It is a fact that the game has passed these good old boys by. This organization is loyal to a fault and it will doom them for years.

Bojangles
06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Buxton has a chance to be the player we all were told Benson, Hicks, Revere and Span could be.
Span and Revere are exactly what we were told they would be. Span may be even slightly better. Hicks was a raw, toolsy, mid first round pick. He's shown flashes and is still developing (and young.) A reasonable arc for him. Benson was a goddamn second round pick, and still has a good chance to develop into a major leaguer. Or were you expecting Bryce Harper?

I look forward to years worth of posts lamenting on how Buxton isn't Ken Griffey Jr. yet. I mean, can the Twins do anything right?

jwestbrock
06-04-2012, 10:13 PM
John Manuel ‏@johnmanuelba (https://twitter.com/#!/johnmanuelba)
Patrick Wisdom is the biggest reach in supp round so far. He hit in the past but serious draft-itis this year.

So at least the Twins didn't reach as much as the Cardinals or now the Rangers with Collin Wiles, at least according to Manuel.

Thrylos
06-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Are the Twins hoping that Mitch Brown slips to them in the second round, or are we seeing them liking him where they actually might not?

Mitch Brown is a 3rd-4th round pick for most teams. The Twins have overvalued him because of proximity

mike wants wins
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
thrylos, BA has Mitch Brown number 44 on their list, he's not a 3-4th round pick.

gunnarthor
06-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Mitch Brown is a 3rd-4th round pick for most teams. The Twins have overvalued him because of proximity

First, the Twins haven't taken him, so it's a bit early to say the Twins are overvaluing him. The fact that they passed on him twice seems to indicate that. Second, BA had him rated #44 overall, Sickels had him #30 overall. Klaw said he was a solid pick for the Twins but I don't have insider so I don't know where he was ranked. So, in any event, there's nothing out there that supports either your claim that the Twins over value him or that he's a 3rd round pick for most teams.

Shane Wahl
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Plawecki went higher than even I thought. The Mets are very smart (for a change).