PDA

View Full Version : MLB Mock Draft 2.0

travistwinstalk
06-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I am doing another mock draft of the top 10 picks and I invite everyone to do the same and see the differences in our picks.

1. Houston Astros- Mark Appel SP Stanford
2. Minnesota Twins- Kevin Gausman SP LSU
3. Seattle Mariners- Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
4. Baltimore Orioles- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
5. Kansas City Royals- Mike Zunino C Miami
6. Chicago Cubs- Albert Almora OF HS Florida
7. San Diego Padres- Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Deven Marrero SS Arizona State
9. Miami Marlins- Max Fried SP HS California
10. Colorado Rockies- Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas

travistwinstalk
06-01-2012, 02:42 PM
By the way on Monday night I will be joined by Twins Daily's own Seth Stohs on the redebut of travistalks Minnesota Sports Weekly. We will be breaking down the draft and the 3 players that the Twins will have taken on Monday night. So mark it on your calenders Monday June 4th at 9pm central time over at blog talk radio join Seth Stohs and myself for the redebut of Travistalks Minnesota Sports Weekly. Ill put a link to the show here at Twins Daily, over at my site travistwinstalk.blogspot.com and also on twitter. This is an exciting time for the Twins as they are about to initiate the next wave of future Twins next week with the draft. Get all the info you need on these new Twins on Monday Night at 9pm central time.

Bojangles
06-01-2012, 03:15 PM
I think Gausman is the backup guy in case something goes horribly wrong w/ #1 or 2, which are Buxton/Appel. I know that Gausman is on helium watch right now, but I'd be pretty surprised if we took him, especially if Houston takes Appel and Buxton is just dangling there like a low hanging fruit.

twinsfanstreif
06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm gonna try and shake things up because you know there will be some wild cards:
Houston- Mark Appel SP
Minnesota- Byron Buxton OF
Seattle- Carlos Correa SS
Baltimore- Kevin Gausman SP
Kansas City- Lucus Giolito SP
Chicago- Courtney Hawkins OF
San Diego- Max Fried SP
Pitt- Mike Zunino C
Miami- Lance McCullers Jr. SP
Colorado- Stryker Trehan C

PMKI
06-01-2012, 03:30 PM
2. Minnesota Twins- Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
4. Baltimore Orioles- Kevin Gausman SP LSU
5. Kansas City Royals- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
7. San Diego Padres- Mike Zunino C Florida
8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Deven Marrero SS Arizona State
9. Miami Marlins- Max Fried SP HS California
10. Colorado Rockies- Andrew Heaney SP Oklahoma State

Chance
06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
I just don't want Appel. I got a bad feeling about him. I would like a pitcher so I hope gausman but hard to pass up buxton. Correa would be a nice pick if we didn't waste last years on micheal. It just doesn't make sense if you plan on them both panning out. You can't move one to 2B with Rosario looking like he will be moving up fairly fast.

twinsfanstreif
06-01-2012, 03:54 PM
I just don't want Appel. I got a bad feeling about him. I would like a pitcher so I hope gausman but hard to pass up buxton. Correa would be a nice pick if we didn't waste last years on micheal. It just doesn't make sense if you plan on them both panning out. You can't move one to 2B with Rosario looking like he will be moving up fairly fast.

I'm with you, really bad feeling about Appel. Even if he is ok I see his ceiling as Luke Hochevar, not terrible but not worth a #1 or #2 overall pick.

PMKI
06-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm with you, really bad feeling about Appel. Even if he is ok I see his ceiling as Luke Hochevar, not terrible but not worth a #1 or #2 overall pick.

Agreed completely!

Thrylos
06-01-2012, 05:51 PM
I think that every single mock from the "Big Boys" out there has Appel going to Houston and Buxton to the Twins.
Meanwhile, Carlos Corea is leaving on a jet plane to MN to have a second private workout with the Twins this weekend. Read to that whatever you want... My take is that if he is able to sign for somethink like $5-5.5 instead of the alloted $6.2M, the Twins have a huge win, spending the extra in later picks

gunnarthor
06-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I think that every single mock from the "Big Boys" out there has Appel going to Houston and Buxton to the Twins.
Meanwhile, Carlos Corea is leaving on a jet plane to MN to have a second private workout with the Twins this weekend. Read to that whatever you want... My take is that if he is able to sign for somethink like $5-5.5 instead of the alloted $6.2M, the Twins have a huge win, spending the extra in later picks

Yeah, I think signability will factor a lot into the Twins thinking. Another name to watch for the Twins at 32/42 would be Pierce Johnson. He had some minor arm issues this year but should be a fast to the majors type with modest (#3) upside but likely to reach it. Sorta like what we thought we'd get with Wimmers.

Puckmen
06-02-2012, 01:21 AM
I wouldn't take Appel with either the first or second pick, but I think he is going to have a very solid pro career. I saw him pitch at Stanford tonight and he was pretty much unhittable for the first six innings. He was hitting both sides of the plate with 94-95 mph heat and his breaking pitch was moving more than I have ever seen it before. He lost a bit of rhythm after Stanford had a long inning at the plate in the bottom of the 6th, but ended up going the distance while giving up only 4 hits and striking out 11.

I hope the Twins take Carlos Correa with the second pick.

travistwinstalk
06-02-2012, 06:41 AM
maybe I am missing something becauase i have read a ton of scouting reports about Carlos Correa and I don't see anything special with him. He likely will end up at 3rd base and seems like a reach to me. There is nothing that he does that is exceptional and most drafts he would lucky to be a top 10 pick. I agree signability could be a factor with the pick and it shouldn't be. They should take whoever they feel will be the best player regardless of their price. For my money if you are looking for pure upside you take Buxton without giving it another thought. If you are looking for someone likely to reach their upside and bring something the twins org doesn't have and that is velo from a starter than the pick should be Gausman. In my mind the 2 choices that make sense to me are Buxton or Gausman.

gunnarthor
06-02-2012, 07:39 AM
maybe I am missing something becauase i have read a ton of scouting reports about Carlos Correa and I don't see anything special with him. He likely will end up at 3rd base and seems like a reach to me. There is nothing that he does that is exceptional and most drafts he would lucky to be a top 10 pick. I agree signability could be a factor with the pick and it shouldn't be. They should take whoever they feel will be the best player regardless of their price. For my money if you are looking for pure upside you take Buxton without giving it another thought. If you are looking for someone likely to reach their upside and bring something the twins org doesn't have and that is velo from a starter than the pick should be Gausman. In my mind the 2 choices that make sense to me are Buxton or Gausman.

I think you're selling Correa's upside short. He's been compared to Tulo. Here's Mayo's write up on him "Defensively, Correa is above average across the board -- range, arm and actions -- leaving no question about his ability to stay at short. He can swing the bat, too, with the potential to be an above-average hitter with outstanding power." Sickels wrote: "Excellent hitter, yet chronologically young for his class. Even if he moves to third base, he's elite. Stellar makeup." Goldstein wrote "A big athletic shortstop with remarkable presence at the plate, quick hands, outstanding bat control and the potential for plus power. He's a plus runner who is graceful in the field and has one of the best infielder arms in the draft. The only concern is with his size, as he’s already 6-foot-3 and approaching 200 pounds, but he has more than enough ability to be a star at third base as well, and one scout believes he'd actually get to the big leagues quicker at that position." Both Sickels and Goldstein rank him #1 in this draft.

Additionally, if you could get Correa for 4.5-5 million, you could use that extra million to sign some hard to sign players later in the draft. That said, I'd be happy with any of the names that have been branded about at #2.

mlhouse
06-02-2012, 09:28 AM
So, if we passed on Appel or Gausman, where is the pitching going to come from for this team while we wait 6 years for Correa or Buxton to move up the minors? Taking the high upside guy pretty much means we are going to be a 100+ loss team for quite some time.

THe problem with Buxton and Correa is that they are not sure things either. So, we really should focus on the college starters all through this draft and hope we can quickly move a couple of them up to the big leagues. Appel may not project to be a #1 starter, but it isn't as if we have a lot of those options on the team or in the minors. Having a solid #2 guy that can pitch 200+ innings and win 15 games would be a major step forward for us.

Seth Stohs
06-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Great discussion... I tihnk my pick would be between Gausman and Correa, but as I've said before, if they take one of those two, or Appel, or Zimmer or Buxton or even Giolito, I'd be happy with it.

J-Dog Dungan
06-02-2012, 09:53 AM
From all the discussions so far, I would say my pick for the Twins would be Correa, Buxton, or Gausman, even though I really think that Gausman should be first on the Twins list because of their complete and utter lack of starting pitching depth in the minors.

travistwinstalk
06-02-2012, 10:42 AM
I wasn't specific i am not against Correa and if the Twins take him ill be on board with it. Any of those top guys would help the Twins farm system which is pretty bad right now. But if I was doing the choosing my pick would be Appel, but I think he is going to Houston so my next option would be Gausman followed by Buxton, Zimmer, and finally Correa.

PMKI
06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
If we draft Appel, Buxton, Correa, Gausman, or Zimmer will they become our #2 prospect right away?

gunnarthor
06-02-2012, 11:13 AM
So, if we passed on Appel or Gausman, where is the pitching going to come from for this team while we wait 6 years for Correa or Buxton to move up the minors? Taking the high upside guy pretty much means we are going to be a 100+ loss team for quite some time.

No one is a sure thing but, yeah, Correa and Buxton are higher risk than others. Then again, how would we feel if we took Gausman at #2 and then his arm fell off while Correa goes on to become a multiple all-star? I'm also not sure it would take 6 years for Buxton/Correa to make the majors. Both of them would probably be a good fit in the upcoming Sano nucleus.

There are other places to get pitching. The Twins could take Brown and Pierce Johnson in the supplemental round. Both are solid pitching prospects, Johnson would be fairly quick to the majors. The Twins will also have a high pick in next years draft as well, so could get pitching there. Finally, they have money to spend on a free agent (yeah, probably not likely but it is a resource they have). I think the team is far enough away that they could take any of these five guys (Buxton, Correa and the three pitchers) and I'd be happy about it. My guess is the Twins take Buxton unless 1) Houston does or 2) Correa agrees to an underslot signing. If Houston takes Buxton and Correa and the Twins don't come to an agreement, I think they'll take Appel/Zimmer, whichever one they have ranked higher. And a draft of, say, Appel/Brown/Johnson would be pretty exciting.

PMKI
06-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Everybody labels Appel, Gausman, and Zimmer as possible #2s or #3s. I know that there are very few true #1s but I was just wondering what everyone in our rotation is and what Wimmers and Gibson and any other pitching prospects project as. Thanks!

gunnarthor
06-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Everybody labels Appel, Gausman, and Zimmer as possible #2s or #3s. I know that there are very few true #1s but I was just wondering what everyone in our rotation is and what Wimmers and Gibson and any other pitching prospects project as. Thanks!

Probably depends on your definition of the numbers. I found this on baseball examiner (http://www.baseballexaminer.com/FAQs/scouting_faq.htm). Baseball prospectus and america both have similar rankings but you need a subscription, I believe.
#1 Starter: Two plus pitches, average third pitch, plus-plus command, plus makeup
#2 Starter: Two plus pitches, average third pitch, average command, average makeup
#3 Starter: One plus pitch, two average pitches, average command, average makeup
#4 & #5 starters: Average velocity, consistent breaking ball, decent changeup, command of two of the pitches.

A plus is a 60 or better, avg is 50, plus plus is 70. Makeup is focus, intensity, etc.

All three guys - Appel, Zimmer and Gausman - could become #1 pitchers. I think the knock on them all has been it's not as likely to happen for them as it was for, say, Verlander. Gibson, I think, has one plus pitch and a couple close to plus (55s) so we'll see. He could be a #2 or #3. Keep in mind, before he was hurt, he was likely to go in the top 10 of a pretty solid draft. I have no idea on Wimmers. His change up is supposed to be plus but he's command and now his injury ...

twinsfanstreif
06-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Gibson is a #2 ceiling but more than likely #3, Wimmers will be a #3 tops. The only one we have that has ace potential is Liriano but that hasn't quite happened. An ace should be dominant with lots of Ks, really an ace should have the potential to have a shut out at any time, anyone who is a pitch to contact pitcher can't be relied on as an ace. The only true Ace we have had in the past 20 years has been Santana, Radke doesn't count.

Einstein
06-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Doesn't the fact that Scott Boras represent Mark Appel pretty much rule him out at #2 if Houston passes on him?

righty8383
06-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Doesn't the fact that Scott Boras represent Mark Appel pretty much rule him out at #2 if Houston passes on him?

No it doesn't

mbents
06-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I wish Giolito didn't have the elbow issue at the beginning of the year. From what I've heard, he and Buxton probably have the most upside of anybody in the draft. Keith Law (or was it Mark Simon?) was pretty dismissive of the injury a week or two ago. Is there any way the Twins would pick Giolito #2? In a pretty weak draft, it's not that far-fetched, is it?

Jeremy Nygaard
06-02-2012, 02:52 PM
1. Astros – P Mark Appel, Stanford. It comes down to him or Buxton.
2. Twins – OF Byron Buxton, Georgia HS. Correa gaining.
3. Mariners – SS Carlos Correa, Puerto Rico. The Mariners are unpredictable. I think it comes down to Correa or Buxton
4. Orioles – P Kevin Gausman, LSU. Bundy and Gausman could form a lethal combination.
5. Royals – P Kyle Zimmer, San Francisco. Will they pass on Zunino? Will they gamble on Giolito?
6. Cubs – OF Albert Almora, Florida HS. Correa dropping (at this point unlikely) could make this pick interesting.
7. Padres – P Max Fried, California HS. Zunino is a possibility.
8. Pirates – C Mike Zunino, Florida. Zunino could go anywhere, staring at #3. Marrero is a possibility.
9. Marlins – P Andrew Heaney, Oklahoma State. Almora was the first choice.
10. Rockies – OF Courtney Hawkins, Texas HS.

gunnarthor
06-02-2012, 03:10 PM
An ace should be dominant with lots of Ks, really an ace should have the potential to have a shut out at any time, anyone who is a pitch to contact pitcher can't be relied on as an ace.

That's not really true. Glavine, Maddux, Halladay, Lee all had cy young seasons/careers without many strike outs. Radke, while not an ace, had as many 5 war seasons as Beckett and Lackey combined.

travistwinstalk
06-02-2012, 03:43 PM
If the Twins take Buxton or Correa the plan will be more like Hicks than Sano as I believe they won't sign until the end so won't get much if any play in 2012. So the schedule likely would be if things go right is;
2013 Elizabethton
2014 Beloit
2015 FM
2016 NB
2017 Roch/Twins

Could be longer if there is injuries and could be a half a year to a year shorter if they excel. Can't compare him to Mauer as both Buxton and Correa are raw and projects with high upside.

travistwinstalk
06-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Absolutely nothing against Rosario but each of these guys would be the Twins number 2 prospect followed by Rosario.

gunnarthor
06-02-2012, 04:04 PM
If the Twins take Buxton or Correa the plan will be more like Hicks than Sano as I believe they won't sign until the end so won't get much if any play in 2012. So the schedule likely would be if things go right is;
2013 Elizabethton
2014 Beloit
2015 FM
2016 NB
2017 Roch/Twins

Could be longer if there is injuries and could be a half a year to a year shorter if they excel. Can't compare him to Mauer as both Buxton and Correa are raw and projects with high upside.

I think every complaint you had could have been used on Mauer. Cold weather player, not sure how he'd do against better competition. Still growing into his body. Also, the signing deadline was moved up to mid July this year so anyone that signs should get some time in the minors this year (although they might let some pitchers rest due to high number of college innings).

Nick Nelson
06-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Um, Luke Hochevar is actually quite terrible. Luke Hochevar as a ceiling is beyond terrible.

nfisch22
06-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I'd be surprised if Correa signed below slot. In an article on ESPN it said he's a 4.0 GPA student and has committed to University of Miami and is prepared to go that route. On the other hand he does come from a poorer family in Puerto Rico and it would be hard to turn down those millions. He's the guy I think the Twins should draft. He offers a high ceiling similar to Buxton, and even if he has to move to 3B I've heard some people say Sano is a better fit at 1B or corner outfield

Thrylos
06-02-2012, 05:42 PM
If we draft Appel, Buxton, Correa, Gausman, or Zimmer will they become our #2 prospect right away?

No. Buxton might become number 3 or 4, the others lower. The pitchers would be sloting where Gibson slots pretty much, and Correa maybe a tad higher. But it is all subjective :) This is just not a draft with crazy good talent.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-02-2012, 06:38 PM
No. Buxton might become number 3 or 4, the others lower.

BA said Buxton would rank above Starling in the Top 100, which would be around 25 (higher with graduation to the pros), their current #2 Joe Benson, ranked at the bottom of the 100. Buxton for sure would be 2. (And I wouldn't be shocked if someone major had him over Sano.) I think the pitchers would all be 2. I think Correa would be in the mix for #2 (with Rosario). But you're right, it's all subjective.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Also, the signing deadline was moved up to mid July this year so anyone that signs should get some time in the minors this year (although they might let some pitchers rest due to high number of college innings).

To add to this too: A lot of the deadline deals were worked out earlier, but wouldn't get the approval until the very end. That won't be the case anymore. I think you'll still see some deadline deals, but there will be a lot more higher signings earlier as teams try to set their limits on their earlier picks.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I'd be surprised if Correa signed below slot. In an article on ESPN it said he's a 4.0 GPA student and has committed to University of Miami and is prepared to go that route. On the other hand he does come from a poorer family in Puerto Rico and it would be hard to turn down those millions. He's the guy I think the Twins should draft. He offers a high ceiling similar to Buxton, and even if he has to move to 3B I've heard some people say Sano is a better fit at 1B or corner outfield

"Hey Carlos, it's the Minnesota Twins. It sounds like you're going #6 to the Cubs. It's gonna be tough for them to give you more than $3.25m. We're talking about you at #2. How's $4.2m sound? If you'll agree to that, we'll take you."

Probable? Doubt it. Possible? Sure.

drivlikejehu
06-02-2012, 07:08 PM
I don't like the idea of drafting a pitcher 2nd overall. The injury risk is just too great unless the prospect is off-the-charts in terms of stuff and command. This class doesn't have any of those guys. Keith Law said the other day that he heard Appel was #1 on the Twins' board, for what it's worth.

Not being a scout or even having seen them play, I can't really compare Correa and Buxton, but the Twins wouldn't be working Correa out for the second time unless they really liked him. He's significantly younger than Buxton and it's harder to find 3rd basemen than outfielders. I'd like to see one of those guys and then a bunch of pitchers- preferably with upside. Stockpiling finesse college guys like Dean, Lanigan, etc., is just pointless. You can always find a 5th starter. Draft raw high schoolers and teach them how to pitch. That's what they pay the minor league instructors and coaches for.

PMKI
06-02-2012, 07:14 PM
I know Correa is believed to outgrow SS but I have heard some people think that he can definitely stay at SS. Like I have said before I really hope they draft Correa but I just don't see it happening. I guess I hope they prove me wrong.

Shane Wahl
06-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Correa outgrowing SS for 3B isn't really too much of a negative. Sano is not going to be there.

PMKI
06-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Correa outgrowing SS for 3B isn't really too much of a negative. Sano is not going to be there.

Good point.

PMKI
06-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I was just thinking about how everyone is worried about Appel's "advisor" being Boras. Well what if we draft Appel and then are unable to sign him. What happens?

drivlikejehu
06-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I was just thinking about how everyone is worried about Appel's "advisor" being Boras. Well what if we draft Appel and then are unable to sign him. What happens?

All the money for that spot is removed from the draft pool and the team receives a compensatory pick next year, I think #3 overall. In other words, not good, because it could prevent the team from signing other picks in this class.

mike wants wins
06-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I think it will be Buxton or Correa. And, then they'll take a bunch of #4 arms and won't have any pitching in three years either. I just don't get the obsession with not taking a pitcher. There are about 15 aces on the planet, and maybe 15 "number 1" pitchers after that. What's wrong with taking a pitcher that you are pretty sure is a number 2?

PMKI
06-02-2012, 08:29 PM
I think it will be Buxton or Correa. And, then they'll take a bunch of #4 arms and won't have any pitching in three years either. I just don't get the obsession with not taking a pitcher. There are about 15 aces on the planet, and maybe 15 "number 1" pitchers after that. What's wrong with taking a pitcher that you are pretty sure is a number 2?

They can get that guy or an even better guy in next years draft ;)

Dilligaf69
06-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I know nothing about these guys but the ML draft is the biggest crapshoot of any Draft by alot but It has to be a starter IMO...Gausman or Zimmer I think.

Riverbrian
06-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I think you're selling Correa's upside short. He's been compared to Tulo. Here's Mayo's write up on him "Defensively, Correa is above average across the board -- range, arm and actions -- leaving no question about his ability to stay at short. He can swing the bat, too, with the potential to be an above-average hitter with outstanding power." Sickels wrote: "Excellent hitter, yet chronologically young for his class. Even if he moves to third base, he's elite. Stellar makeup." Goldstein wrote "A big athletic shortstop with remarkable presence at the plate, quick hands, outstanding bat control and the potential for plus power. He's a plus runner who is graceful in the field and has one of the best infielder arms in the draft. The only concern is with his size, as hes already 6-foot-3 and approaching 200 pounds, but he has more than enough ability to be a star at third base as well, and one scout believes he'd actually get to the big leagues quicker at that position." Both Sickels and Goldstein rank him #1 in this draft.

Additionally, if you could get Correa for 4.5-5 million, you could use that extra million to sign some hard to sign players later in the draft. That said, I'd be happy with any of the names that have been branded about at #2.

Ok... It says no question that he can stay at short and before the paragraph is complete. mayo contradicts that with he's 6 3 and near 200 pounds which suggests a move to 3b.

Thats kind of like saying. Without question... I do not believe in reincarnation.... But I did in my past life.

Personally I would like to read about a high round SS that projects to actually be a SS. I'm beginning to think they don't exist.

Jeremy Nygaard
06-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Personally I would like to read about a high round SS that projects to actually be a SS. I'm beginning to think they don't exist.

Deven Marrero, Arizona State. Was considered top-5 for this draft a year ago, but he didn't hit this year. He'll be gone by 32.
Gavin Cecchini, Louisiana HS. Defensive-wizard, no bat. End of first-round or sandwich-round type.
Addison Russell, Florida HS. Lost a lot of weight, so now scouts believe he can stick at SS. Bonus demands (Scott Boras) has him sliding down boards and will probably go late first.
Nolan Fontana, Florida. No standout tools, but can field the position and hit a little bit.
C.J. Hinojosa, Texas HS. Injured his shoulder, considered unsignable.

So they exist. There just aren't a lot of them and none of them are great.

travistwinstalk
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I believe Correa is rising up the charts and it wouldn't surprise me if Twins took him. On their board I believe Appel is the clear cut number 1 on their board so if Houston takes Buxton or Correa or Gausman the Twins will take Appel mark that down. Me personally the abuse at Stanford scares me so on my board I have Gausman ahead of Appel on my board. I have Buxton slightly ahead of Correa as best available followed by Gausman and Appel. I truly believe one of these 4 will be a Twin tommorrow night. Buxton, Correa, Gausman, and Appel. To be honest I would have no problem with any of them and think each of them can help the Twins win in the future.

travistwinstalk
06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Thsi is Sunday morning and will do a top 10 today and Tommorrow and i request everyone do the same.

7. San Diego Padres- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Devin Marrero SS Arizona State
9. Miami Marlins- Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas
10. Colorado Rockies- David Dahl OF HS Alabama

Einstein
06-03-2012, 01:13 PM
1. Houston Astros - Mark Appel SP Stanford
2. Minnesota Twins - Byron Buxton OF HS Georgia
3. Seattle Mariners - Carlos Correa SS Puerto Rico
4. Baltimore Orioles - Kevin Gausman SP LSU
5. Kansas City Royals - Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
6. Chicago Cubs - Albert Almora - OF - HS Florida
7. San Diego Padres - Max Fried SP HS California
8. Pittsburgh Pirates - Mike Zunino C Florida
9. Miami Marlins - Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas
10. Colorado Rockies - David Dahl - OF HS Alabama

mike wants wins
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I do prefer Gausman to Appel, due to the ridiculous way Stanford coaches treat their pitchers....If it was me, I'd have Gausman, Buxton, and Correa in my top three. Not having seen any of them play kind of makes it tough to really choose. But given that you need 5 starters and 7 bullpen arms, I'd probably go arm. That said, when the Strib writers write a story about not taking Adam Johnson again....I'm thinking it is a hitter.

Bojangles
06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I just don't get the obsession with not taking a pitcher. There are about 15 aces on the planet, and maybe 15 "number 1" pitchers after that. What's wrong with taking a pitcher that you are pretty sure is a number 2?
What's wrong with taking a potential all star SS or OF? Those are quite scarce as well.

PMKI
06-03-2012, 04:27 PM
I think I might be just as interested if not more interested in who the Twins take at #32 and #42. I know pretty much everyone believes #32 will be Mitch Brown but I am still excited to see what happens.

Thrylos
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
As of right now (about 5:30 EDT Sunday), it is almost official that the Astros are selecting Mark Appel. The Twins are on the clock...

PMKI
06-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Jim Bowden just tweeted "According to source the Houston Astros are expected to select Stanford RHP Mark Appel with the first over all selection in tomorrows draft." so I would expect the choice to be between Buxton and Correa and possibly Gausman. I expect the Twins to take Buxton though.

mike wants wins
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
What's wrong with taking a potential all star SS or OF? Those are quite scarce as well.

You don't need 5 of them, right? Nothing is wrong with the decision, but that's not the point most people are making. They are basically saying, don't take a number 2 pitcher, no matter what. I will also state that Buxton is super raw, so he won't even sniff the majors while Mauer is still really good. They are also completely devoid of pitchers that even look to be as good as number 2 pitchers right now, think about that. Their entire minor league system doesn't have a pitcher with the upside of Gausman or Appel. It's kind of hard to fill out a rotation that way.

travistwinstalk
06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Thing that we need to keep in mind is there are 50 rounds in this draft and the twins have 6 of the top 100 so it is way important to get those picks right than knitpicking between Buxton, Correa and Gausman. I am fine with any of those 3 the more important thing to me is the 5 other picks they have in the top 100 as they need atleast 2 of them to be major leaguers. The Twins are in a similar situation that the Vikings were in the draft that there are many needs so they need to take the best player available. However between 2, 32, 42 I think 2 of those 3 need to be pitchers so if you go Buxton or Correa at 2 then you need to take pitchers at 32 and 42.

drivlikejehu
06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
One pitcher can't fill out a rotation. If Gausman was a 100% guaranteed #2 starter who could join the rotation this month, well, that would be difficult to pass up. But he and Zimmer are both fairly raw as college pitchers go. Their ability to maintain velocity with a pro workload is unknown. Over 200 innings, Gausman might be more of a low-90s guy with one good off-speed pitch, making him a #3 or #4 starter at best. The upside is there, but the overall package doesn't overcome the inherent injury risk.

I think they will take Correa and then a bunch of pitchers with subsequent picks.

Riverbrian
06-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Thsi is Sunday morning and will do a top 10 today and Tommorrow and i request everyone do the same.

7. San Diego Padres- Kyle Zimmer SP San Francisco
8. Pittsburgh Pirates- Devin Marrero SS Arizona State
9. Miami Marlins- Courtney Hawkins OF HS Texas
10. Colorado Rockies- David Dahl OF HS Alabama

I won't pretend to know the players because I don't. I've been reading a little so I will do mine based on What I think the organization will do and what I've read.

1. Astro's take Appel... I'm reading that this is a done deal.

2. Twins take Gausman... In a draft where every player seems to have question marks? I wonder if there is enough of a BPA difference to ignore the biggest need pitching. I've read that Gausman is the most MLB ready arm in the draft.

3. Mariners take Buxton... They have been building their pitching for a little while. They are moving into the offensive phase.

4. Orioles take Almora... They have Young Pitching... They have a young SS... Surprise pick of Almora here.

5. Royals take Correa... They have organizational strength everywhere. This is a BPA pick.

6. Cubs take Zimmer... They need pitching and Pitching Quick... A college Arm makes sense.

7. Padres take Marrero... They could use a fast track infielder.

8. Pirates take Zunino... Was probably banking on Marrero but Surprised and Happy that Zunino falls to them.

9. Marlins take Giolito... After the Cubs... This is the team that will roll the dice on this kid.

10. Rockies take Hawkins... Something tells me that Pitching will not be the Rockies Direction.

gunnarthor
06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Houston Appel
Twins Buxton
Seattle Zunino
Balt Gausman
KC Zimmer
Cubs Correa
Padres Fried
Pirates Giolito
Marlins Seager
Rockies Dahl

Puckmen
06-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I spoke with a couple of scouts for Seattle at the Fresno St. vs. Pepperdine game this afternoon. For what it is worth, they expect Houston to take Appel (as has been reported all over this site today) and the Twins to take Buxton.