PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Lineup

PMKI
05-31-2012, 08:46 PM
If you guys had to guess what do you think the Twins lineup and pitching rotation will look like in two years? I am interested to see what everyone has to say.

Ultima Ratio
05-31-2012, 09:04 PM
Dang, I thought this was for 2013, scrap the below:

SP

FA (Joe Blanton?)
FA (Colby Lewis?)
Blackburn
Diamond
PJ Walters/Hendricks/De Vries (in order of likelihood)

CF - Span
LF - Revere
C - Mauer
DH - Hammer
1B - Morneau
RF - Torii Hunter (If price is right; a gimmick to keep attendance up at worst)
3B - Valencia
SS - Dozier
2B - Carroll/Casilla

Not a bod lineup, but still a very weak SP rotation

minn55441
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
The only players currently on our roster that will remain in 2014 are Mauer and Dozier.

Span will be traded for pitching and to make room for our abundance of young outfielders. I think both Bennie and Plouffe will have a shot to earn spots but I don't think Plouffe will show enough during the rest of this season to make 2013's roster, let alone 2014. I hope Revere keeps hitting and will turn into an every day player for us, but I would put his chances at less than 25% for 2014.

As far a pitching goes, I see Perkins still in a Twin's uniform and Diamond, Walters and Hendricks all have a shot, but again less than 25%. We will see a lot of new faces next season and then in 2014 we will have essentially a whole new team.

Rosterman
05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Mauer catcher
Parmelee 1st
Dozier 2nd
Michael SS
Sano 3rd
Benson CF
Hicks RF
Revere LF
Willingham or Morneau DH

SP - Wimmers, Gibson, Bromberg, Diamond, Hermson, Salcedo

CLoser - Perkins
BP - Guiierrez, Guerra, Slama, Duensing, Hirschfield, someone

Bench - Hermann, someone, someone, someone

I see new young faces. Questions would be who ultimately plays 1st or catches

J-Dog Dungan
05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Michael would really have to start raking the ball, because I believe he is hitting something like .205 in Single-A. Rosterman, while those guys that you have in the starting rotation are guys from our system, I think that the Twins will have gotten at least one FA pitcher from another organization (not that I believe that the Twins won't have most of those guys in their rotation). Could someone enlighten me as to who Hirschfield is?

twinsfanstreif
05-31-2012, 09:52 PM
I'll take a shot at 2014:
SP
Gibson
Diamond
Hendricks
Hermsen
Gausman/Appel/FA(Garza?)

RP
Gutierrez
Waldrop
Guerra
Swarzak
Manship
Robinson
Perkins(Closer)

Line Up
RF - Span
CF - Hicks
C - Mauer
LF - Willingham
DH - Morneau
3B - Sano
SS - Dozier
1B - Parmelee
2B - Michael

Bench
OF/INF - Plouffe
OF - Revere
C - Chris Hermann
INF - Florimon

Just a shot in the dark, this could probably all change if they decide to blow up the roster this summer but I'm going on the basis that they won't and won't be really active in free agency either just as the twins do.

Ultima Ratio
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
There will be continue to be significant turnover between now and the end of 2013, which makes predicting the 2014 roster impossible beyond those still under contract (Mauer, Hammer, Perkins, Span and options on Blackburn, Carroll and Yoshi... that's it, right?)

J-Dog Dungan
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I think Hollimon beats out Florimon because Hollimon actually has power and is increasing his fielding ability whereas Florimon really doesn't have any power potential.

stringer bell
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I think Hollimon beats out Florimon because Hollimon actually has power and is increasing his fielding ability whereas Florimon really doesn't have any power potential.Hollimon will be 30 in two weeks. Florimon is 25. If Hollimon doesn't break through this year, he leaves this organization. Florimon has hit half a dozen homers this year between NB and Rochester. He's not a little guy--I think he'll develop some power. In summary, Florimon probably has a future with the Twins, Hollimon probably doesn't.

PMKI
05-31-2012, 10:55 PM
There will be continue to be significant turnover between now and the end of 2013, which makes predicting the 2014 roster impossible beyond those still under contract (Mauer, Hammer, Perkins, Span and options on Blackburn, Carroll and Yoshi... that's it, right?)

I just think it is fun to see what people think. And by 2014 I imagine that a lot of the prospects will be up and possibly everyday players.

Bark's Lounge
06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
This is my 2014 Opening Day Line-up (Starting pitcher and Closer included)

C - Hermann or Free Agent
1B - Morneau/Parmelee
2B - Rosario
SS - Dozier
3B - Mauer
LF - Sano
CF - Aaron Hicks
RF - Angel Morales
DH - Morneau/Parmelee

SP - Peabody Firefrost (The 1st overall pick from the 2013 draft - he has Strasburg's power arm and make-up, mixed with Patrick Swayze's ability to twinkle his toes while dancing.

Closer - G.P. Dynamite (Glen Perkins legally changes his name to this)

Riverbrian
06-01-2012, 12:21 AM

C - Hermann or Free Agent
1B - Morneau/Parmelee
2B - Rosario
SS - Dozier
3B - Mauer
LF - Sano
CF - Aaron Hicks
RF - Angel Morales
DH - Morneau/Parmelee

SP - Peabody Firefrost (The 1st overall pick from the 2013 draft - he has Strasburg's power arm and make-up, mixed with Patrick Swayze's ability to twinkle his toes while dancing.

Nice... I was reading along and I actually stopped and googled Peabody Firefrost. Two points for you Bark. I'll take my usual minus one.

Bark's Lounge
06-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Nice... I was reading along and I actually stopped and googled Peabody Firefrost. Two points for you Bark. I'll take my usual minus one.

River Brian, take the 3 points back. You crack me up! It is well worth the price of admission.

twinsnorth49
06-01-2012, 01:39 AM
River Brian, take the 3 points back. You crack me up! It is well worth the price of admission.

Thank god there is at least 2 people who can mix their Twins obsession with a sense of humour. On a serious note, Bark, I like the inclusion of Rosario at 2nd although in 2014 I'm torn between him and Florimon, Rosario 2015, other than that, aces.

Riverbrian
06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
With egg on my face and an admitted lack of 2012 knowledge I have to ask.

How do you quote multiple quotes in one reply? I hit "reply with quote" and it neatly puts it in a box for me. Adding another quote to the original quote is beyond my talents.

That skill could come in handy.

Yes... Everyone can make fun of me for not knowing this but teach me while making fun of me.

twinsnorth49
06-01-2012, 10:02 AM

How do you quote multiple quotes in one reply? I hit "reply with quote" and it neatly puts it in a box for me. Adding another quote to the original quote is beyond my talents.

Yes... Everyone can make fun of me for not knowing this but teach me while making fun of me.

See the little icon to the right of Reply With Quote? That's the multi-quote button, hit that to quote the first message you want to appear, for the next quote you want to appear just hit the "Reply with Quote" button on that message and it will appear under the first message and so on, voila.

MWLFan
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Google says that Peabody Firefrost Sid Finchs bastard child?

jmlease1
06-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Difficult to project 2014 right now, but here's an idea:

C: Mauer
1B: Parmelee
2B: Veteran Free Agent That Many People Think is Washed-up
SS: Dozier
3B: Plouffe
LF: Willingham
CF: Revere
RF: Benson
DH: Veteran Free Agent That Many People Think is Washed-up

Rotation:
Gibson
Diamond
Hendriks
Wimmers
Veteran Free Agent That Many People Think is Washed-up

Bullpen:
Glen Perkins
Deolis Guerra
A bunch of guys we can't possibly know...yet (and that's ok)

I suspect Gardy hates Valencia and will run him out of town. Plouffe is enough of an enigma he won't go away, which will drive a close friend of mine nuts, so clearly he has to be in the Opening Day lineup. I 'massuming Willingham doesn't get dealt to be the "veteran slugger" and I'm actually ok with it, since his contract is reasonable and we need his kind of power. This presumes Span gets dealt, and I just pray we got something good for him and not a couple of A-ball prospects and/or a reliever. Benson looks like he has no shot right now, so I have to pick him, since someone is coming out of nowhere to make the 2014 roster. Rosario won't be ready yet (mid-season call up), so the Twins will sign a guy like Jamey Carroll to caddy for a while. the rotation is not my preference, just what i think might happen; I'd rather see the Twins drop some serious money on a front-line starter (Zack Greinke might be my top choice), but I can't say they'll do it. So I'm assuming it'll be guys working through the system with an old veteran in the back (the tradition of Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, etc. lives on!). Guerra should be in the 'pen by 2014; absent injury, I expect him there in 2013, with Perkins taking over as closer. The rest of the jobs should be filled as needed like we did this year: without spending stupid money on anyone, or signing guys for their name.

Craig in MN
06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
SP
James Sheilds
Gibson
Hendricks
Diamond
Bromberg

RP
Perkins
Guerra
Burnett
Duensing
Tyler Robertson
Oliveros
Waldrop

Line Up
RF - Benson
LF - Nick Swisher
C - Mauer
DH - Willingham
1B - Morneau
3B - Deibinson Romero
SS - Dozier
2B - Pedro Floriman
CF - Hicks

Bench
OF - Revere
IF - Carroll
IF/OF - Parmalee
C - Butera

Other guys in the mix:
C/OF - Chris Hermann
OF - Oswaldo Arcia
INF - James Beresford
SP - BJ Hermsen
RP - Carlos Gutierrez
RP - Swarzak

In 2013, Twins trade Span for Sheilds, sign Nick Swisher to a Willingham-ish/Cuddyer-ish deal to rotate between OF/1B/DH, and a one year innings eater starter to let some of the kids develop. Revere gets a shot in CF until Benson or Hicks are ready. Parmalee gets in the mix in the interim as well. The rotation keeps playing musical chairs, but there is enough talent there to find 5 arms. Blackburn, Burton, Capps & Valencia leave after the season.

In 2014, Morneau has been relatively healthy and productive, but still is enough of a risk to sign cheap...a one year FA deal to stay in MN. If they can find a decent/cheap FA infielder, they might sign him, but I don't see one so they stick with Carroll. Otherwise they stay pretty aggressive in having a very inexperienced team, but with just enough veteran-y goodness. Hicks is a stretch, but Revere & Parmalee won't be good enough to keep him down. Sano, Rosario, Michael, & Morales are all in the high minors for extra depth, so the young guys all better be on their toes. The team has enough payroll flexibility to add players during the season if needed. The rotation isn't great but good enough to compete, the bullpen is solid, the defense is improved, but the offense will depend on the rookies not stinking.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
SP
Gibson
Diamond
Hendriks
Bromberg
Free Agent/Walters

RP
Burnett
Slama
Guerra
Oliveros
Robertson
Duensing
Perkins(CL)

Line Up
CF - Revere
C - Mauer
RF - Sano
1B - Morneau
LF - Willingham
DH - Free Agent
2B - Free Agent/Rosario
SS - Dozier
3B - Romero/Florimon/Valencia (Yuck)

Bench
OF/INF - Plouffe
OF - Arcia/Benson
C - Chris Hermann
INF - Chris Parmelee

THE DFC
06-01-2012, 12:51 PM
SP - FA (Shiels/Gruenke), Appel, Gibson, Hendriks, Bromberg
RP - Perkins, Duensing, Waldrop, Slama, Gutierrez, Oliveros, Guerra

DH - Sano
C - Doumit
1B - Mauer
2B - Rosario
SS - Dozier
3B - FA/Sano/Dozier (depending on Michael/Santana)
LF - Willingham
CF - Hicks
RF - Arcia

Bark's Lounge
06-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Thank god there is at least 2 people who can mix their Twins obsession with a sense of humour. On a serious note, Bark, I like the inclusion of Rosario at 2nd although in 2014 I'm torn between him and Florimon, Rosario 2015, other than that, aces.

I agree with you Twins North on Rosario being a more likely candidate for 2B in 2015 rather than 2014. His inclusion was more or less wishful thinking on my part - but you never know. On another note: I've got to get my hands on some Poutine... it sounds like a heart attack ready to happen, but intriguingly delicious!

USAFChief
06-01-2012, 05:29 PM

You don't know how to do that?? You imbicile you!!1!

See the little icon to the right of Reply With Quote? That's the multi-quote button, hit that to quote the first message you want to appear, for the next quote you want to appear just hit the "Reply with Quote" button on that message and it will appear under the first message and so on, voila.

I knew that (he types with an embarrassed, sheepish look on his face.)

Edit: Holy $h!t! It works!

Rosterman
06-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Free agents and trades are such a crapshoot between now and then. Pretty much have to look at who will be around and potenitally in the majors of AAA in 2014. And hope the Twins can patch their weaknesses.

Interesting. Yes, Hollimon would be the backup infielder today if he was on the 40-man and the Twins weren't keeping Plouffe around. I would say Florimon would be he backup in two years, but he'll be aging, same age as Plouffe today, only much cheaper.

I doubt Butera will be anywhere in the picture. He'll be making a million via arbitration...not worth it.

Oh, I forgot, Tyler Robertson is supposed to be in the future picture, I guess.

It's so tough rebuilding with what little the Twins do have. If you cast 2014 too young, then hey all hit arbitration and free agency at young ages and you lose them. If you spred them out (which you should be able to do normally) you lose a Pavano and replace with a Gibson, you lose a Baker and replace with a Wimmers. You lose Blackburn and replace with Wayne Hattaway.

Riverbrian
06-02-2012, 12:07 AM

Hey North... Hey man Thanks... Now I can pick out the highlights of the scenery. My hands are in the river.

You don't know how to do that?? You imbicile you!!1!

I knew that (he types with an embarrassed, sheepish look on his face.)

Edit: Holy $h!t! It works!

Chief... About a 2 on the making fun of me meter but I do appreciate the effort. I gotta ask the significance of the 1 in the middle of the exclamation points. The only time I can think its appropriate for an exclamation after 1... Would be a real important countdown of sorts or a very surprising temperature reading in Tucson.

Look at us now... Multi quote capable. I gotta move to another thread... Ignore the topic and do this Multi quote thing somewhere else now. North is going to regret teaching us this.

Dilligaf69
06-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Geez! i have no idea...too far away! but interesting nonetheless.

stringer bell
06-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I actually was thinking about this before the thread was started. Here is what I came up with. C-Mauer 1B-Parmelee 2B-Casilla SS-Dozier 3B-Plouffe LF-Herrman CF-Revere RF-Benson DH-Willingham Bench: Towles (C), Florimon (UTIL), Michael Cuddyer (1B-RF), Stephen Lombardozzi. Pitchers: Gibson, Duensing, Wimmers, Diamond, Wandy Rodriguez Perkins, Guerra, Oliveros, Gutierrez, Burnett, Random Lefty, Hendriks

PMKI
06-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I actually was thinking about this before the thread was started. Here is what I came up with. C-Mauer 1B-Parmelee 2B-Casilla SS-Dozier 3B-Plouffe LF-Herrman CF-Revere RF-Benson DH-Willingham Bench: Towles (C), Florimon (UTIL), Michael Cuddyer (1B-RF), Stephen Lombardozzi. Pitchers: Gibson, Duensing, Wimmers, Diamond, Wandy Rodriguez Perkins, Guerra, Oliveros, Gutierrez, Burnett, Random Lefty, Hendriks

Just wondering how you see us getting Lombardozzi. I am assuming its in a Span trade?

Alex
06-02-2012, 11:42 PM
No Sano in 2014? Probably a bit early.

Dozier may well be starting for this team in 2014, but I don't think that will be a great sign if he is, though we don't have many SS or 2B options that look promising either. Yuck, the future of this team is even depressing.

Shane Wahl
06-03-2012, 08:31 AM
(Doing this for 2014 makes me so much happier than for 2013, because Nick Blackburn won't be involved)

Ryan Dempster (in last year/option year of deal signed this offseason)
Kyle Gibson
Liam Hendriks
Scott Diamond
Bromberg/Wimmers/Hermsen

Andrew Albers, Lester Oliveros, Deolis Guerra, Brian Duensing, Matthew Hauser, Carlos Gutierrez, Glen Perkins (closer) (sub in Tyler Robertson, Kyle Waldrop and maybe a few others here for a few of these maybe)

Sano and Rosario are not going to be on the opening day roster in 2014. June 2014 is the earliest.

Anyway:

1. Denard Span, LF
2. Joe Mauer, C/1B/DH
3. Josh Willingham/Oswaldo Arcia DH (I don't mean a platoon)
4. Joe Benson, CF
5. Aaron Hicks, RF (though he could bat second)
6. Chris Parmelee 1B
7. Trevor Plouffe 3B/some FA RH signing 3B
8. Brian Dozier SS/2B
9. Danny Santana SS/2B or Pedro Florimon SS/2B

Bench: Chris Herrmann (actually gets a lot of starts), Santana/Florimon, 4th/5th OF a la Repko-Mastro or some third catcher like Lehmann, someone else like Colabello (!) or Romero (!) or hopefully a FA signing a la Thome.

Likely trading Morneau at the deadline in 2013, Revere at the deadline in 2013, and Willingham before 2014 starts or at the 2013 deadline.

I don't remember seeing Arcia in anyone's plans above. He is getting to the majors before Sano and Rosario, period. Could be trade-bait too. Also could merely be a DH platoon with a Plouffe type at RF/DH if he can't hit lefties.

I am guessing Angel Morales is the OF prospect to go, but hopefully after he starts playing better.

2012 pitcher taken at #2 will be in a position to help at some point in 2014, but not out of ST.

Seth Stohs
06-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Having watched Miguel Sano play the last two days, I see very, very little chance that we would see him in a Twins uniform in 2014 (maybe in September). I certainly don't see him at 3B in that time frame. The guy has a ton of talent, but 1.) he's 19, 2.) he'll need to find a spot in the field, 3.) good pitchers would eat him up at this point. I'm equally, or even more high on him now after seeing a couple of games. He has a very bright future with the Twins, but he will need some time. Even if he's up mid-2015, he will still be just 21-22.

Alex
06-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Ugh...so many lineups full of borderline major leaguers, and what's scary is that I think they are actually accurate. Like I mention above, this is far more depressing than hopeful. Joe Benson, for example is currently rolling with a .500 OPS is AA...

I knew it was bad, but not this bad until this thread and I started looking at some of these guys. None of the "new" starters project to be above average. Cuddyer

beckmt
06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
This has been very interesting. Most expect a total makeover by 2014. These are my guesses:
C - Mauer
1B - Parmalee
2B - FA or trade
SS - Dozier
3B - Plouffe or FA
DH - Doumit or FA or Willingham
LF - Willingham
CF - Hicks
RF - Arcia

Bench
C - Doumit or Hermansen
INF - Florimon
OF - Revere
OF - FA or Benson

SP
Gibson
Diamond
Hendricks
Bromberg
FA or Walters or 2012 draft pick

RP
Perkins (CL)
Duensing
Oliveros
Waltrop
Guerra
Gutierrez
Fa or Single A Pitcher this year (there are several)

I hope Morneau will still be here, but do not think the money will work
List depends on how much the Twins are willing to spend on FA's. Normally has not been much, but they need a number 1 starter.

Shane Wahl
06-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Ugh...so many lineups full of borderline major leaguers, and what's scary is that I think they are actually accurate. Like I mention above, this is far more depressing than hopeful. Joe Benson, for example is currently rolling with a .500 OPS is AA...

I knew it was bad, but not this bad until this thread and I started looking at some of these guys. None of the "new" starters project to be above average. Cuddyer

Well, Benson was very good there last year, so I am not all that worried about him by 2014, or even by some point next year. But "next year" was supposed to be this year. Yet another "chain reaction" problem (Morneau last year, Duensing in the rotation last year, Willingham/Revere LF this year, the SP this year, Chris Parmelee, etc.). Questions about Benson put the true depth of the OF prospects into doubt, and that means all sorts of things in terms of time frames for prospects, which prospects are tradeable, and which Twins OF are tradeable (Span, Revere, and next year Willingham all potential trades). With Benson and Tosoni at AA with Hicks there and Arcia and Morales at A+, there is a a herding at the middle instead of a movement up to the Twins.

Erock
06-03-2012, 06:15 PM
1) Span CF
2) Dozier SS
3) Mauer C
4) Willingham DH
5) Parmelee 1B
6) Arcia RF
7) Plouffe or Valencia or FA 3B
8) Benson/Revere LF
9) FA or Trade 2B (maybe Rosario)

B- Revere OF