PDA

View Full Version : Jon Heyman's Twins Trade Prospects

JB_Iowa
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Jon Heyman has a list of his Top 45 trade prospects posted today. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19216063/newlook-market-at-mlb-trade-deadline-loaded-with-pitching

It includes the following Twins:

6. Morneau (although Heyman says he still isn't playing the field -- I guess I've been seeing a mirage out there)

13. Liriano

17. Capps

31. Doumit

32. Pavano

Possibilities of trading most of these have been mentioned in other threads. No mention of Span.

Rosterman
05-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Mainly because of contracts. Span is signed thru 2014. I guess Valencia and Toshi don't count. Morneau is a bargain for someone if he stays healthy. Capps, too, as his 2013 contract isn't bad, if you use him as a closer...and it is truly amazing how bad (ERA-wise) many closers are this year, and many teams have switched closers (name them.........win a no-prize). Doumit could easily double his $3 mil in arbitration. Liriano will also be expensive to another team. Pavano has to stay healthy for anyone to want to absorb his contract for 1-3 months. And Willingham is a prize piece, right now, with a modest $7 million contract, although he would move nicely into a DH/OF backup 1B/C role for the Twins for two more seasons if we wish.

glanzer
05-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Obviously I'd rather the team be doing well and be considered a buyer, but there certainly is a good degree of interest in pondering the team's moves as a seller. I'd like to see Doumit and Morneau both stick around here for a long time, but the pitchers mentioned should all be shipped out by the deadline.

gunnarthor
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Jon Heyman has a list of his Top 45 trade prospects posted today. http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19216063/newlook-market-at-mlb-trade-deadline-loaded-with-pitching

It includes the following Twins:

6. Morneau (although Heyman says he still isn't playing the field -- I guess I've been seeing a mirage out there)

Did he change his article or did you just misread it? "6. Justin Morneau (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/288974/justin-morneau), DH-1B, Twins: Now that his concussion symptoms have subsided and he's showing power again (.535 slugging percentage), playing some first base and he's a candidate to help an AL contender. Negative: He is owed $23 million through next year."

JB_Iowa
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
He changed the article. The last phrase when I first posted this was: "although he is still not playing the field."

Assume someone corrected him. (I do think money was mentioned initially but I think it referred to $14 million/year rather than doing the math through next year).

Just looked at the first comment from fcmlefty - points out that Morneau has been playing 1st since his DL stint.

Shane Wahl
05-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Those three pitchers will all be sent packing. Doumit probably will too, though I don't think I would like that move either.

Willingham does not have a $7 million contract. How often does it ever happen that a player with two+ years left on a contract get traded in-season to a contender for prospects????? There is a clear reason why Willingham is not listed. Morneau is pretty doubtful as well. Maybe next year for both of them.

PMKI
05-31-2012, 05:15 PM
What types of prospects can we expect to get back for Pavano, Capps, and Liriano?

Shane Wahl
05-31-2012, 05:21 PM
What types of prospects can we expect to get back for Pavano, Capps, and Liriano?

Hopefully a number of decent-good ones who are young and are pitchers? The point is that teams will take those three and they aren't going to take Willingham this year.

Rosterman
05-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Doumit will not be sticking around for a longtime. He just needed a place to prove that he is more than a backup and bench player, and the AL DH allows him to do that. But he's not a fulltime catcher, can eally play first, is not needed in the outfield, and I would witch Willingham to DH if push came to shove rather than pay Doumit $5, $7 or more million, which he will be looking at next year and will probably get. Yes, he is a catcher who can DH et al, but he ain't going to replace Mauer, and we still have Morneau (so far) for 2013. If the Twins decide to play Mauer more at first and need someone to catch 80-100 games, here are better defensive and hitting choices than Doumit. I like the guy. I think he's great for the team. But I don't see him staying around....... Maybe Minnesota WAS considered a step up from Pittsburgh!

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-31-2012, 06:36 PM
All of those Twins need to be sent packing except for Morneau. Liriano is almost a toss up because his stock is way too low, but it would be nice to lose his contract.

Fire Dan Gladden
05-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Pavano and Liriano will not be Twins next year. Capps is a toss up (though I would like to see him gone, wasted money in my opinion). I believe the Twins like what they see out of Doumit, and I could see him signing a multi-year deal here if the price is right. Morneau will not be traded this year. While not at the level of Mauer, he is too much a face of this franchise.

Cody Christie
06-01-2012, 07:07 AM
My guess would be that Liriano and Pavano are traded before the deadline. If the Twins can get a MLB ready starting pitcher for Span, he will be gone too.