PDA

View Full Version : AAA replacement pitchers: Diamond, Walters, DeVries

Shane Wahl
05-30-2012, 01:23 AM
By the numbers:

68 IP, 20 ER (2.65 ERA), 45K, 20 BB, 1.25 WHIP.

Of course that is not projectable out, in all honesty, but it is worth noting. Unfortunately, Liriano is returning and Blackburn will relatively soon as well.

spideyo
05-30-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm guessing as soon as Blackburn is ready, De Vries gets sent down, but Diamond and Walters look like they've got the stuff to stick around for quite awhile. Of course, we'll see how things look at about 4pm tomorrow afternoon.

Shane Wahl
05-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Well, I would like to see Pavano sent to the DL to rest his shoulder for a few weeks, come back with 8-10 starts or whatever of increased velocity and decreased earned runs and get his ass traded . . . maybe it's too bad Halladay didn't go down later in the year . . .

IdahoPilgrim
05-30-2012, 06:55 AM
DeVries really struggled last night, and he was lucky to get through 5. I think he gets one more shot, then we evaluate what we've got in him - my guess is close but not quite good enough for the rotation (which isn't saying much on this club).

Given Pavano's fatigue factor this year, what do you bet they go ahead, bring up Hendriks, get Liriano & Blackburn back, and go to a 6-person rotation?

Top Gun
05-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Cole pitched a 2 hit shutout over 5. I will take that every nite of the week. Cole has been more than great were have you been?

Yoshii
05-30-2012, 07:58 AM
The most important thing is they give our team a chance to win.

nicksaviking
05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
DeVries really struggled last night, and he was lucky to get through 5. I think he gets one more shot, then we evaluate what we've got in him - my guess is close but not quite good enough for the rotation (which isn't saying much on this club).

Given Pavano's fatigue factor this year, what do you bet they go ahead, bring up Hendriks, get Liriano & Blackburn back, and go to a 6-person rotation?

Do the Twins then go then with a 14 man pitching staff? They are still going to want 8 BP arms seeing as 4-5 times a week the starter wont pitch into the sixth inning. The White Sox did have Buehrle, Floyd, Jackson and Danks as innings eaters.

IdahoPilgrim
05-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Do the Twins then go then with a 14 man pitching staff? They are still going to want 8 BP arms seeing as 4-5 times a week the starter wont pitch into the sixth inning. The White Sox did have Buehrle, Floyd, Jackson and Danks as innings eaters.

OK, I was being a little facetious, but in effect that's what this is turning into, rotating people into and out of the rotation and giving Pavano an extra day rest every other start.

And I watched the game last night - DeVries was not "more than great," he had poor control and was lucky not to get hit too hard. Too many breaking pitches that weren't hitting their spots. Once opposing lineups get the book on him, they're going to tee it up unles that changes. I agree he should get another chance, but yesterday was not hope-inspiring.

Rosterman
05-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Cole battled, and he wasn't the only pitcher out there throwing all over the place looking for spots that the umpire might give him. When you have 16 walks in a game spread over 4 different pitchers, it is not the pitching, it is the umpire behind the plate...who was amazingly fooled by placement of a catcher's glove. Happily, he's not behind the plate for Liriano today. Cole, like Diamond and Walters, are battling to keep a major league job. They aren't all that overpowering. They have to actually work out there on the mound and mix stuff up and seem a couple of bad pitches away from getting stomped. If they can keep it up all year, I would call the rotation gutsy. Can they do it again and again and again over other years...as the back of the rotation guy with not much expectations, maybe. But if you rely solely on them for wins, I think not. But, still, better than anyone else the Twins are paying big bucks too - today. They are energetic Pavano's, who basically looks broken and hoping his inning run fast rather than slow.