PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Correa - Mock Draft - Sickels

jorgenswest
05-28-2012, 10:48 PM
John Sickels over at http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/5/26/3045117/2012-minor-league-ball-community-mock-draft-round-one completed a mock draft this weekend.

He has the Twins taking Carlos Correa in the first round. Correa is his top ranked prospect.

John Bonnes
05-28-2012, 10:53 PM
I have no problem with this. Sickels is a Twins fan too, I think. I wonder if some of the other mock drafts aren't picking Buxton just because the Twins have focused on high school outfielders in drafts lately, instead of any insider info.

Seth Stohs
05-28-2012, 11:22 PM
The people doing mock drafts are just guessing based on all kinds of reading. Correa's stock has flown up in the last 3-4 days. I would have no problem with the Twins taking Correa, none at all.

Pretty much, the Twins could take Correa, Buxton, Appel, Zimmer, Gausman, Zunino or Giolito and I'd be just fine with it.

gunnarthor
05-28-2012, 11:31 PM
His supp picks were MN prep pitcher Mitchell Brown and Puerto Rico pitcher JO Berrios. I'd be pretty excited if the Twins got those two, regardless of who we take at #2.

clutterheart
05-28-2012, 11:34 PM
This was his Community Mock Draft and they had Buxton as the #1 pick and Appel falling to the Royals. I would bet a house payment Appel goes to Houston. Then as a Twins fan you have to hope the FO gets scared off by the fact Buxton isn't hitting for power and then you have to hope that the FO doesn't get focus on pitcher and instead takes the best player available, Correa. It is the right, long term thing to do for this organization. But I keep hearing Gausman or Zimmerman who will be OK, but the not aces we so richly need.

The best thing about Sickel's draft is he has the Twins taking that High School Pticher from MN, Mitch Brown.
If they can get him, sign him quick and get him in EST with Austin Malinowski & Trent Higginbotham that would be fantastic.
If that trio could develop and reach their potential, Twins would have a seriously good staff in several, several, several years. But..of course...its more likely they all need bionic arms by the age of 21.
But it would be awesome for them to take that risk and go with Prep pitchers.

Seth Stohs
05-29-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't get why Gausman can't be an "Ace" with some development. He has pitches. He's the best pitcher in the best conference. He throws 97. He has good secondary stuff...

I don't think people realize just how rare 'aces' are.

clutterheart
05-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Gausman:
Good point and I only have only seen videos of him and regurgitated the same reports you have seen. Maybe he can. But folks who have seen him says he can't.

gunnarthor
05-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Gausman:
Good point and I only have only seen videos of him and regurgitated the same reports you have seen. Maybe he can. But folks who have seen him says he can't.

I don't think they say he can't, rather he isn't a sure fire ace as he has questions about his control - he walks a few more than you'd like - and his third pitch doesn't grade out all that well right now (compared to 'aces'). MLB.com's Mayo wrote about him "His breaking ball has the chance to be an average offering and he now throws a changeup that fades and sinks and could be an above-average pitch.The right-hander still struggles a bit with command, particularly with his breaking pitch and the delivery on his changeup doesn't always work. But with his size, mound presence and arm, he has all the makings of a frontline starter."

Here's Mayo's video discussing Gausman and Zimmer (and Appel) - http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=21495493

mike wants wins
05-29-2012, 06:55 AM
There are not 30 aces on the planet. Not picking a guy because he cannot be an ace makes no sense to me.

Seth Stohs
05-29-2012, 07:16 AM
I guess my point would be that he's clearly a Top 5-6 pick, throws upper 90s. If nothing else, he would be something different on the Twins staff. Even if he ends up being a solid #2, it's totally worth the #2 overall pick.

MacDaddy
05-29-2012, 09:12 AM
The Twins have a tough decision at No. 2. Looking back on the top picks over the last 20 years or so, it seems that there are significantly more pitchers than position players who are high first-round busts. That's why I would be more inclined to take Correa, Buxton or Zunino. However, I've watched all three play (or seen scouting clips of them) and don't think any will be All-Stars...and Buxton worries me (all tools, no polish - or power). The Twins need pitching and I'm a gambler. That's why, I would take Giolito. Without a doubt, he has the most explosive stuff of any pitcher I've seen in this draft. I know his health is a MAJOR question mark, but I love his upside. He looks to be a potential ace a Verlander or Clemens-type talent. This is a swing-for-the-fences pick because he could throw his arm off at any moment.

Thrylos
05-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Mock drafts are an exercise in futility. I get talking about the needs of a particular team but trying to guess all 30 teams' draftboards is tough. A mock draft last week had the Twins pick 4 catchers among their first 6 picks. This one has 19 high school kids and 12 college kids going the first round, with 6 out of the top 9 picks being high school kids. It's not happening :)

I think that the Twins could go one of 7 ways with their number 2 pick and these are the names that Seth mentioned at #3 above, minus Giolito (I think that he will probably end up going to College) plus Wacha.

30whales
05-29-2012, 10:03 AM
I really hope the Twins get either Correa or Buxton at #2. We can grab a pitcher at #32 or #42.

boney
05-29-2012, 10:22 AM
My thoughts exactly.

boney
05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I guess my point would be that he's clearly a Top 5-6 pick, throws upper 90s. If nothing else, he would be something different on the Twins staff. Even if he ends up being a solid #2, it's totally worth the #2 overall pick.

Hit the wrong button the first time. My thoughts exactly

Mr. Ed
05-29-2012, 10:36 AM
One of the biggest decisions kids have to make is balancing getting a scholarship and playing college ball vs a contract and the mlb system.

Recent case in point is Nathan Striz. Twins drafted him in the 5th round,he went to NCarolina.

Tribe took him 3 years later in the 22nd round. And he's nowhere near the bigs.

Would he have accomplished more if signed by MN? Who knows.

Seriously difficult decisions to make.
Hermsen was drafted the 6th round in 2008,Twins paid over slot, he passed on OR state and now is doing well in AA.

You just never know.

PMKI
05-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I really think that if we drafted Correa we would not regret it looking back.

Thirty-three
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
I hope they take Correa. The more I read, he may have the highest ceiling of the top picks, even if it may take him a while to get to the majors.