PDA

View Full Version : Article: Benson and Tosoni moving in the wrong direction

Cody Christie
05-24-2012, 06:48 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?575-Benson-and-Tosoni-moving-in-the-wrong-direction

twinswon1991
05-24-2012, 06:57 AM
Two more failures to add to the long list of failures attributed to the scouting dept and coaching staffs. That these guys were even listed on the Twins top prospect lists shows how bad the minor league system is.

Cant wait to see how Ryan and his band of clowns screw up this draft!

gryglamn29
05-24-2012, 07:33 AM
Two more failures to add to the long list of failures attributed to the scouting dept and coaching staffs. That these guys were even listed on the Twins top prospect lists shows how bad the minor league system is.

Cant wait to see how Ryan and his band of clowns screw up this draft!

How is it scouting failure when a player falters late in his minor league career?

birdwatcher
05-24-2012, 08:51 AM
So, twinswon1991, please regale us with a better explanation as to how the scouting department failed here. Tell us in which round Tosoni was drafted, for example, and then explain why you think competent scouts, as opposed to a band of clowns, would have found a better player with that pick. Back it up with a fact, OK?

Band of clowns, huh? That's not what I see, but I do detect the smell of ignorance out there somewhere...

jimbo92107
05-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't think draft pundits considered Joe Benson a bad pick. What Benson really needs is to hang out for a month with Bryce Harper. Watch what he does, how he practices, how he plays. Joe Benson could be a lot like that. Maybe MLB should have some sort of rotary club deal where minor league players could shadow big leaguers for a week or two. Would Benson pick Harper to hang with?

peterb18
05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
I don't think that there is any question about Benson's talent--fast. powerful, etc. However, Benson's problems are with his senses--too out of control. He must slow the game down, or he will never be a productive player at the high levels.

DAM DC Twins Fans
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't think draft pundits considered Joe Benson a bad pick.

HUH--Benson was a second round pick in 2006--thats 6 years ago. He got a cup of coffee (or a couple of cups) with the Twins and some time in Rochester--thats it in 6 years. Thats pretty bad for a top round pick. Yes, he could turn it around, but it has taken 6 years and he may have peaked.

This scares me--I dont want to see Twins draft a HS kid this year--I want a college pitcher. When you are going well its OK to pick HS kids and let them develop over 3-4 years (not 6). When you are not going well, you dont have that luxury.

birdwatcher
05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
I seem to recall that Benson was injured for the better part of a couple of those years. This may have hurt his development some, but I think it's accurate to say that he's been assessed as being overly excitable and unfocused. These obstacles may be hard for him to overcome.

Also, Tosoni is coming off an injury, so before we label him a bust, we should see how things play out.

Seth Stohs
05-24-2012, 10:57 AM
HUH--Benson was a second round pick in 2006--thats 6 years ago. He got a cup of coffee (or a couple of cups) with the Twins and some time in Rochester--thats it in 6 years. Thats pretty bad for a top round pick. Yes, he could turn it around, but it has taken 6 years and he may have peaked.

to be fair, that's about the time that Denard Span first getting an opportunity, same with Hunter. Benson fits into the same raw, athletic, talented type as those two. Who knows what will happen.

Shane Wahl
05-24-2012, 11:06 AM
It's not even June yet.

gunnarthor
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM

This scares me--I dont want to see Twins draft a HS kid this year--I want a college pitcher. When you are going well its OK to pick HS kids and let them develop over 3-4 years (not 6). When you are not going well, you dont have that luxury.

Here's the 2006 2nd round picks - http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?draft_round=2&year_ID=2006&draft_type=junreg&query_type=year_round
It doesn't seem that Benson was a bad pick, it just points out how hard it is for 2nd rounders to even make the bigs.

Thrylos
05-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Way too early to judge Benson... He just turned 24 and his is playing in a league (AA) where the average age is above that. Plus he had success before and it looks like he might be injured. So I would wait a couple of seasons...
Tosoni was a 36th round pick. He has overachieved doing what he did and making in to the majors for a cup of coffee. Was never any sort of a prospect.

Shane Wahl
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Way too early to judge Benson... He just turned 24 and his is playing in a league (AA) where the average age is above that. Plus he had success before and it looks like he might be injured. So I would wait a couple of seasons...
Tosoni was a 36th round pick. He has overachieved doing what he did and making in to the majors for a cup of coffee. Was never any sort of a prospect.

The average age is higher, but I doubt the average age of actual prospects is higher. Benson should have gotten a stint at Rochester in August last year and he should have never been demoted this year.

stringer bell
05-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I am as big a Benson fan as there is. He handled demotion before and I hope he does again. He does have the raw tools to be a fine player, but he seems to fight himself as much as he fights opposing pitchers. Hopefully, he gets it together after recovering from injury.

twinsfan214
05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes, so disappointing. Depressing even. I had such hopes for Benson. Now he just seems like another "head case". I hope not and that he turns it around. Would like to see someone in right (for the Twins) who can hit.

Seth Stohs
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Paul Molitor on 1500espn interview said that Benson still struggles with the Emotional Side of the GAme... Physically, he's got the talent.

Also said that he has to have surgery on his hamate bone, likely to miss the next 6 weeks, at least.

Thrylos
05-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Fractured hammate would explain Benson's issues 100%. This is a facture that happens either because of overuse (and that happens little by little and you cannot tell other than soreness on the wrist, until one day you cannot even grab a bat) or because of injury (like HBP or falling down on the outside -pinky finger side- of your wrist). Wishing him well, this is something with 100% successful return. Takes about 6-8 weeks and might need some more time to get the hitting back.

BD57
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes, so disappointing. Depressing even. I had such hopes for Benson. Now he just seems like another "head case". I hope not and that he turns it around. Would like to see someone in right (for the Twins) who can hit.

Baseball is a hard game, especially (IMO) because of the "daily grind" factor - - - - there's not much time to work on mechanics, study your approach, etc.

Benson may have 6 years but he's not "old" - - - - plus, the idea is to develop the kids, not throw them to the wolves.

Holding out hope b/c we're not going to get good again unless kids like Benson begin to figure it out.