PDA

View Full Version : Cole DeVries promoted to the Twins!

Seth Stohs
05-22-2012, 09:26 AM
According to the official Twins Twitter feed:

#Twins (http://www.twinsdaily.com/#!/search/%23Twins) designate RHP Jason Marquis for assignment and will select the contract of RHP Cole DeVries from AAA Rochester for tonight's game.

Very exciting for the Eden Prairie native and former Gopher who signed as a free agent after the 2006 season! Good for him!

Thrylos
05-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Always good to see someone make it to the bigs. He deserved it. And, heck, if Jamie Moyer can have sucess, Cole DeVries can (and he is tossing 10mph faster than Moyer)

gunnarthor
05-22-2012, 09:34 AM
Well, here's hoping he keeps the Diamond/Walters thing going.

travistwinstalk
05-22-2012, 09:35 AM
nothing against devries but a mistake Devries will get hammered at MLB level. He is a solid AAA pitcher but he will get hammered at MLB level mark my words.

Boom Boom
05-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Despite some lucky numbers, I think Diamond is here to stay. I'm not so convinced about Walters. And now I'm afraid the Twins are reaching to the well too many times.

Seth Stohs
05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
He might, but he's 27 and has had success in AAA. The team is rebuilding and they have to make decisions on a lot of players, DeVries is one of them. So is Slama. So is Manship.

I don't think I've ever had DeVries in a top 50, so my expectations are definitely not high. I don't expect greatness, but no need to be upset about this decision.

Hendriks need to eat some AAA innings and they need to do what is best for him long-term.

gunnarthor
05-22-2012, 09:48 AM
So what is Rochester's rotation right now?

SirLoin
05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Since Cole is my adopt-a-prospect, I feel obligated to contribute here. To start, I might as well self-promote..... http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php?1003-Cole-DeVries

I'm assuming that he'll be inserted into the rotation. However, as I've followed him throughout his minor league career, I contend that he projects as a middle relief pitcher in the Matt Guerrier mold. In fact, their minor league stats aren't all that different and I know Guerrier did mix in some starts earlier in his career. Needless to say, at 27, he deserves a shot for the Twins to see what they have in him, and I think down the road he'd be a good fit in the bullpen. He won't dominate by any means, but I think he could be a solid bullpen arm.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 09:56 AM
So what is Rochester's rotation right now?

Haha, good lord who knows? Let's see: Hendriks, Manship, French, Thompson . . . .and maybe they will promote Bromberg or Hirshfeld?

Mr. Ed
05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
I'd have promoted a bullpen guy and moved someone up to the rotation. At least DeVries is stretched out.

twinsnorth49
05-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Hard to imagine it being a very long-term solution but I'll be rooting for the former Gopher!

righty8383
05-22-2012, 10:29 AM
nothing against devries but a mistake Devries will get hammered at MLB level. He is a solid AAA pitcher but he will get hammered at MLB level mark my words.

I have that feeling too. He seems to be a pretty smart pitcher with good comand but his stuff just isn't that good. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a good debut with the adrenaline pumping and all that but otherwise I don't think he'll last too long. Best of luck to him though, its always fun to cheer for a local player, now the Twins will have three Minnesota natives on the team as they did when Neshek was around.

Gernzy
05-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Personally I was hopeing Slama would get called up. We'll see what DeVries can do. Can't be any worse then what he's replacing.

MileHighTwinsFan
05-22-2012, 10:40 AM
Should be interesting. More than anything, we need guys who throw strikes and are not overwhelmed by the big leagues. At 27, they need to see what they have in Mr. DeVries.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Haha, good lord who knows? Let's see: Hendriks, Manship, French, Thompson . . . .and maybe they will promote Bromberg or Hirshfeld?

I think they were stretching out Maloney to start a few days back when he pitched 3 innings. Should be: Hendricks, Manship, Maloney, French, and Thompson.

stringer bell
05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Maloney has had a lot of success at Triple A as a starter. By midseason, I expect that he'll be in the Twins starting rotation and I think he'll put up better numbers than at least one of Walters and Diamond.

Big Daddy H
05-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Coles numbers look pretty pedestrian for Triple A. I thought Slama deserved the first shot, or Manship since he was a starter and has been up before.

wavedog
05-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Glad to see Cole promoted. We have nothing to lose, if he can beat an 8+ ERA he will be an improvement so the bar is set very low.

striker_86
05-22-2012, 11:22 AM
Glad to see Cole promoted. We have nothing to lose, if he can beat an 8+ ERA he will be an improvement so the bar is set very low.

Exactly, just dont lose the game in the 2nd inning like Marquis. All we need is 5-6 innings and 4-5 runs out of him to give us a chance.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 12:32 PM
We might have the worst major league rotation baseball has seen in a very long time.

Good for DeVries though, I hope he has some success, there is nothing wrong with guys like Diamond, Walters and DeVries getting a shot, the problem is that when those three make up 60% of your current starting rotation!

StormJH1
05-22-2012, 12:48 PM
We might have the worst major league rotation baseball has seen in a very long time.

Good for DeVries though, I hope he has some success, there is nothing wrong with guys like Diamond, Walters and DeVries getting a shot, the problem is that when those three make up 60% of your current starting rotation!
We are still better suited playing 3 Triple-A pitchers with the hope that one of them is a "Diamond" in the rough....as opposed to trotting out washed up veterans who have no future with this team, and no real ability to help us win games this year. Pavano is basically playing for his trade value at this point, assuming he can even stay healthy.

mike wants wins
05-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Congratulations to Cole DeVries.

Riverbrian
05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Bingo... The state of pitching is the scariest thing about being a Twins Fan at this moment in time. Keep throwing these guys and let's see who sticks. Don't blow this draft and move every tradable piece for more pitching. Keep your expectations low while your hope is on high.

ashburyjohn
05-22-2012, 01:48 PM
Maloney has had a lot of success at Triple A as a starter. By midseason, I expect that he'll be in the Twins starting rotation and I think he'll put up better numbers than at least one of Walters and Diamond.

I had been meaning to put a short blog entry on this topic (http://twinsdaily.com/entry.php?1101-Matt-Maloney-staff-savior) as well. I think the Twins tried to stretch him out while he was still in the parent club, but he did so poorly that he didn't actually get the requisite innings before having to be pulled. I'm in favor of letting Cuellar try to work some magic with him in the rotation.

J-Dog Dungan
05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah!!!! First EP kid to the Majors! Go EP! Go DeVries!

Top Gun
05-22-2012, 02:09 PM
Cole DeVries is the right choice. It's time to see what you got, get the job done.

Thrylos
05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Coles numbers look pretty pedestrian for Triple A. I thought Slama deserved the first shot, or Manship since he was a starter and has been up before.

Cole's numbers are (and were when they got promoted) better than both Diamond's and Walter's. He deserved to be up there before any of them:

DeVries: 1.157 WHIP, 7.1 K/9 and 5.29 K/BB
Diamond: 1.212 WHIP, 6.8 K/9 and 3.71 K/BB
Walters: 1.170 WHIP, 6.8 K/9 and 4.17 K/BB

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 02:22 PM
We are still better suited playing 3 Triple-A pitchers with the hope that one of them is a "Diamond" in the rough....as opposed to trotting out washed up veterans who have no future with this team, and no real ability to help us win games this year. Pavano is basically playing for his trade value at this point, assuming he can even stay healthy.

I agree with you on that, but the more concerning thing is our utter lack of SP depth of anywhere in the minors. Diamond is the only one out of that group that can be considered a "legit" option to be a starter in the league, and even he up until this season looked more or less a longshot. This season has hopefully showed the Twins that they need to start taking a more aggressive approach to starting pitching in future drafts/signings/trades. The day of drafting nothing but soft tossing strike throwers needs to end. The infatuation with "finding the next Radke" needs to change, there is nothing wrong with having some guys like Blackburn, Pavano, Diamond, Walters, Hendricks, etc in your system, there is something wrong when that is all your system has.

Taking a chance on a guy like Shooter Hunt was a nice start even though he didn't pan out, ideally the Twins decide to take some hard throwers in the draft, I'm not so much worried about #2 as I am about the next 5-8 picks they have.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 02:25 PM
He deserved to be up there before any of them:

No he didn't. DeVries spent all of 2010 and 2011 in the pen and has significantly less upside then a guy like Diamond.

A case could be made against PJ Walters, but both a pretty meh and non prospects at the end of the day.

ashburyjohn
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Exactly, just dont lose the game in the 2nd inning like Marquis. All we need is 5-6 innings and 4-5 runs out of him to give us a chance.

5 innings 4 runs or 6 innings 5 runs makes an ERA above 7.0, so we need better than that to make a real difference over what Marquis gave.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Thyrlos, DeVries may have been up before Walters, but the timing of when they pitched was off two days, I believe.

Anyway, I see DeVries as not 3 of x, but rather 2 of 3. That is, I think he, Walters, and eventually Manship or Swarzak (maybe interchangeable roles?) are vying for the last rotation spot at the end of the year.

Assuming a Pavano trade, keeping Liriano where he belongs, and Blackburn coming back, I see the August-September rotation, as preparation for 2013 as:

Hendriks
Bromberg
Diamond
Blackburn (unfortunately, a ballsy move would be to say "take your $5.5 million next year to the bullpen")
DeVries or Walters or Manship/Swarzak.

This sets them up for one FA signing at the top, and filler at the bottom in preparation for Gibson.

That's what I would do, anyway. What they will do . . .

cr9617
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
My goodness. How sorry is the current state of affairs when DeVries, Diamond, and Walters are the main sources for optimism.

DAM DC Twins Fans
05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Bingo... The state of pitching is the scariest thing about being a Twins Fan at this moment in time. Keep throwing these guys and let's see who sticks. Don't blow this draft and move every tradable piece for more pitching. Keep your expectations low while your hope is on high.

Could not have said it any better. Diamond, Walters (too many HRs), Now DeVries, one or two of these may stick at the level of Baker and Blackburn...now draft a pitcher who could be an ace in 2014 or 2015 (or trade our only real asset--Span for one).

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Thyrlos, DeVries may have been up before Walters, but the timing of when they pitched was off two days, I believe.

Anyway, I see DeVries as not 3 of x, but rather 2 of 3. That is, I think he, Walters, and eventually Manship or Swarzak (maybe interchangeable roles?) are vying for the last rotation spot at the end of the year.

Assuming a Pavano trade, keeping Liriano where he belongs, and Blackburn coming back, I see the August-September rotation, as preparation for 2013 as:

Hendriks
Bromberg
Diamond
Blackburn (unfortunately, a ballsy move would be to say "take your $5.5 million next year to the bullpen")
DeVries or Walters or Manship/Swarzak.

This sets them up for one FA signing at the top, and filler at the bottom in preparation for Gibson.

That's what I would do, anyway. What they will do . . .

They need to head into next season with the thought that they need to fill a minimum of 3 rotation spots, and ideally 4 rotation spots. I think out of the Gibson/Hendricks/Diamond/Blackburn group we can reasonably expect 1-2 spots from those 4, counting on 3 or 4 of those guys to hold down a spot all of 2013 is foolish.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Could not have said it any better. Diamond, Walters (too many HRs), Now DeVries, one or two of these may stick at the level of Baker and Blackburn...now draft a pitcher who could be an ace in 2014 or 2015 (or trade our only real asset--Span for one).

None of those guys will come close to sticking at the level of Baker (who when healthy is a solid #2), Blackburn is nothing more than a #5 and in all reality Diamond is the only one with a chance better then 25% at sticking as a #5.

The Twins need more than an ace, they need to find a #1/#2/#3 and maybe even a #4 moving forward. That is a tall task to say the least.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 02:46 PM
My goodness. How sorry is the current state of affairs when DeVries, Diamond, and Walters are the main sources for optimism.

I'd argue that Mauer being healthy, Span being healthy, Morneau being healthy, Willingham and Dozier as our main sources of optimism at this point. (not taking into consideration minor legauers like Sano, Rosario and Arcia)

ltwedt
05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
My - My - what do you suppose Anthony Slama did to so thoroughly piss off Gardy and Ryan?

J-Dog Dungan
05-22-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't know why people are hating on Walters and Diamond, considering they have given a few rays of hope to this starting line that had won four in a row until it was broken by the black hole of suckiness that was Marquis. While Walters has given up 4 HR's in two outings, one he won, and the other he should have won. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with what either have done up here so far.

TwinsGuy55422
05-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Congrats to DeVries. I hope he does well and proves his worth to the team going forward whether that be in the starting rotation or the bullpen. We've had good results with the pitchers called up this year, so I hope he continues the trend.

glunn
05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't know why people are hating on Walters and Diamond, considering they have given a few rays of hope to this starting line that had won four in a row until it was broken by the black hole of suckiness that was Marquis. While Walters has given up 4 HR's in two outings, one he won, and the other he should have won. Therefore, I see nothing wrong with what either have done up here so far.

"Hating" seems like a strong word, but I share your view that there has been excessive pessimism considering their performances thus far. I think that people are focusing on their minor league stats and they assume that Walters and Diamond have mediocre ceilings. However, it seems possible that one or both of them may prosper over the long run. And until DeVries gets blown out a few times, I will be optimistic about him as well.

roger
05-22-2012, 04:08 PM

His last start was going great until they tried to get him a complete game. Gave up only one run through 8, then three more in the 9th. Things like that hurt the ERA early in the season.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 04:34 PM
They need to head into next season with the thought that they need to fill a minimum of 3 rotation spots, and ideally 4 rotation spots. I think out of the Gibson/Hendricks/Diamond/Blackburn group we can reasonably expect 1-2 spots from those 4, counting on 3 or 4 of those guys to hold down a spot all of 2013 is foolish.

Blackburn isn't going anywhere, so he takes up one of those spots. Hendriks will be fine and Diamond should be too. They are 3-4 and 4-5 starters, yes. Gibson is hopefully the guy to swing it somewhat and if Wimmers and Stuifbergen get healthy, they are in the mix too. And the Twins need to recognize that they must draft pitchers instead of toolsy HS outfielders, including HEALTHY 2013 versions of players like Gibson and Wimmers (both were expected to essentially be involved by 2013 back before everything went to hell).

IdahoPilgrim
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Nothing but best wishes for DeVries, and I hope for his sake (and the Twins!) that he does well.

That being said, I still think the best answer would be to give Duensing another shot. He is doing much better against RHB this year, and if he can get over that issue permanently he can be a decent 3-4 starter for a few years to come. In this rotation that could be huge.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 04:36 PM
My - My - what do you suppose Anthony Slama did to so thoroughly piss off Gardy and Ryan?

One more (and it is coming) Jeff Gray blow-up and it MUST BE Slama time.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
"Hating" seems like a strong word, but I share your view that there has been excessive pessimism considering their performances thus far. I think that people are focusing on their minor league stats and they assume that Walters and Diamond have mediocre ceilings. However, it seems possible that one or both of them may prosper over the long run. And until DeVries gets blown out a few times, I will be optimistic about him as well.

It's been funny because they have been the best starters for the Twins yet they are truly 4-6 starting caliber pitchers. That's what they are and that is good if you have other good pitching before them. But I am fine with figuring out that part of the rotation this year, honestly. Some FA, Hendriks, Gibson, and Bromberg likely are involved in 2013 before those guys.

jimbo92107
05-22-2012, 05:21 PM

Funny thing about hammering...it assumes the nail will stay in one place.

If Cole DeVries is a finesse pitcher, then he already knows that he will need to mix up his velocity, spin and placement to survive in the bigs. Scott Diamond is already doing that, and succeeding. Pitching is all about making hitters uncomfortable. If you don't have a big fastball, then you figure out other ways to do it.

I think a lot will depend on Cole's ability to execute damage control. People will get some hits off him, sure. Can he handle it? Can he limit the damage, or will he collapse emotionally like a little boy? He worked his way to the majors from an undrafted free agent. Maybe he's already got the mental toughness to hang in there.

jimbo92107
05-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Get Bromberg to Rochester!

Rosterman
05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
It is NOT the worst rotation if the guys get guys out, and win games. You can survive with 5 B-starters. You may not reach the wild card or playoffs, but right now Blackburn/Liriano/Marquis weren't getting it done.

I see Slama on the radar as Gray and Burton implode, but Waldrop and Manship may be ahead in the callup scale.

The big pain with musical chairs is that you might be forced to lose someone at some point...but if playing musical chairs, guess it doesn't matter.

There was a reason the Twins signed 110 free agent minor league pitchers...I guess.....this year.....

Han Joelo
05-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Check out Seth's latest Top 50 prospect installment. Plenty of recently drafted pitchers that shouldn't be categorized as "soft-tossers." The whole soft-tossing/pitch to contact complaint has grown pretty cliche. The Twins have taken shots with the likes of Hunt, Bashore, Tootle, etc, and see where those guys are now. Seems like people think these SO machines grow on trees. I'd argue that the current state of Twins Organizational pitching is possibly a result of getting away from drafting the likes of Slowey and Perkins and Hendriks and having too many high draft picks like the aforementioned group washout.

jorgenswest
05-22-2012, 10:16 PM
As long as the Twins can send DeVries back to AAA with an option, I don't see any reason not to give him a start or two. He can't be worse than Marquis and should be able to match Blackburn. If he has a few rocky starts, they can send him back. By that time, I hope that Liriano is ready for another shot.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
I see Slama on the radar as Gray and Burton implode, but Waldrop and Manship may be ahead in the callup scale.

I don't think there's any reason to suggest Burton imploding. He has a .702 WHIP and is capable of striking out batters. His 4.60 ERA looks much worse than how he's performed. Burton has a pretty good track record of being reliable as well, so I'd be surprised if he didn't finish the year with the Twins.