PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt?

spideyo
05-21-2012, 09:15 PM
He's still floating around as a FA, and the Twins need at least one new starter, and that's assuming Walters and Diamond hold up, and either Blackburn or Liriano make it back to the rotation this year.

Would he be worth a shot at? Would he be willing to come here?

twinsnorth49
05-21-2012, 09:18 PM
He's still floating around as a FA, and the Twins need at least one new starter, and that's assuming Walters and Diamond hold up, and either Blackburn or Liriano make it back to the rotation this year.

Would he be worth a shot at? Would he be willing to come here?

He's only going to sign for a contender (assuming any of them want him).

Twins Fan From Afar
05-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I think a few months ago we all hoped this, then LEN III shot it down officially.
And now there's no logical reason to think that Oswalt would want to come here. I'm pretty sure he would prefer a contender.

mnfireman
05-21-2012, 09:21 PM
Texas appears interested with Perez's elbow problems.

Thrylos
05-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I think that the Twins right now are in a position that they should be trying to get rid of (trade) veterans, rather than adding them... Let's see what they got in their system before they make some big decisions for rebuilding next off-season

The Greatest Poster Alive
05-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Oswalt isn't making the switch from the NL this late in his career. There is no interest from either side in this happening.

J-Dog Dungan
05-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Don't think the Twins a) have the money to make it happen and b)no reason to pick up that kind of veteran with their rebuilding status.

Fire Dan Gladden
05-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Really? We really have to ask this question? What possible reason would the Twins have for spending money on him while they are in their current position? Why in the heck would he even conside coming here?

snepp
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
He's not going to come back to pitch for a loser, that's pretty much where the discussion starts and ends.

Nick Nelson
05-22-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Oswalt will be garbage if/when he comes back to pitch. There's a reason he didn't get signed during the offseason.

Top Gun
05-22-2012, 01:08 AM
He is a good one, but who know's what he will do and it will take alot of money.

wavedog
05-22-2012, 08:03 AM
As mnfireman pointed out Texas is interested in Oswalt. They went to Mississippi to watch him pitch last Friday and Oswalt has also expressed an interest in pitching for Texas. Nice thought but I doubt he would have any interest in joining this hot mess in Minnesota.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Oswalt is only going to pitch for a contending team, and he is likely to not be much above replacement anyway. Roy Oswalt and Drew Butera as pitcher leading the way in the forums the past day. Sheesh.

alarp33
05-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Really? We really have to ask this question? What possible reason would the Twins have for spending money on him while they are in their current position? Why in the heck would he even conside coming here?

Amen. There's a better chance I pitch for the Twins this year than Roy Oswalt.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
05-22-2012, 08:18 AM
I think it could be a different discussion if Oswalt was likely to pitch 4 or 5 more years, but he's probably looking to pitch this season and maybe one (or part of one) more. The Twins won't be in contention for a World Series title this year or next, so Oswalt would have to have a change of heart to play for Minnesota at this point.

kirbyelway
05-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Makes me laugh that Homers are so thick headed and think someone looking to win a ring is going to come here to lose!!!!!!

PopRiveter
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
I'd make the call if I were Terry Ryan. Serious contenders don't necessarily have innings to throw at a high risk guy like Oswalt. Twins have money and innings. If Oswalt isn't signed by a contender, maybe he would come here to prove he's still got it for a couple months in hopes of getting traded to a viable contender. For Twins, that would be turning a little payroll and a handful of meaningless innings into a prospect or two. May put butts in seats along the way as well.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I'd make the call if I were Terry Ryan. Serious contenders don't necessarily have innings to throw at a high risk guy like Oswalt. Twins have money and innings. If Oswalt isn't signed by a contender, maybe he would come here to prove he's still got it for a couple months in hopes of getting traded to a viable contender. For Twins, that would be turning a little payroll and a handful of meaningless innings into a prospect or two. May put butts in seats along the way as well.

no, just no.

StormJH1
05-22-2012, 12:57 PM
If you were ranking teams in terms of "having a chance to get Oswalt", the Twins would be somewhere between 25th and 30th. And that's being friendly.

Rosterman
05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I agree that at some point Oswalt has to pitch somewhere to show what he has. The gamble is how much is that worth to a team like the Twins, already burned on Zumaya and Marquis. If he can be had on whatever is considered the cheap or reasonable, then he pitches well AND is traded to a contender. Both sides could be happy.

Riverbrian
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
He won't come... He's trying to pick the World Series winner to join. If he would come... We don't need vets. We need youth.

Montecore
05-22-2012, 03:15 PM
The guy isn't what he used to be. He wouldn't come here. They need youth.

gmarais66
05-22-2012, 03:51 PM
I agree that there isn't a snowball's chance in July that Oswalt is going to sign with the Twins... However I have to disagree with all the posters on here that say the Twins do not need vets... The Twins have losts of youth... Any really good team has a good mix of vets and young players.... A team of all young players doesn't have much of a chance...

Riverbrian
05-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I agree that there isn't a snowball's chance in July that Oswalt is going to sign with the Twins... However I have to disagree with all the posters on here that say the Twins do not need vets... The Twins have losts of youth... Any really good team has a good mix of vets and young players.... A team of all young players doesn't have much of a chance...

Any really good team. Thats the key line in your post. We need youth so we can determine which of them will be our vets when we start to compete for a title again. I admire your desire to stay competitive. It's rebuilding time. Or will soon be... I'm sorry I shouldn't officially give up on this season in May.

Shane Wahl
05-22-2012, 11:55 PM
Any really good team. Thats the key line in your post. We need youth so we can determine which of them will be our vets when we start to compete for a title again. I admire your desire to stay competitive. It's rebuilding time. Or will soon be... I'm sorry I shouldn't officially give up on this season in May.

I am not "giving up" totally on this being a productive season in some fashion. I agree with gmarais that veterans are needed . . . just not fairly washed-up ones in the middle of the season. 1-2 starting veterans (throwing out Dempster's name again . . . though I can't imagine the Cubs not trading him this year . . . but that team is pretty dumb) in the offseason. Pray to Cy Young that Gibson, Wimmers and Stuifbergen are healthy by the end of this year, and that Bromberg and Hendriks take the next step, maybe add one AA or AAA pitching prospect in the Pavano trade that will hopefully happen, add Zimmer, Gausman, or Appel, see how Salcedo, Solimon, Darnell, Dean, Hermsen, Boyd, Williams, and Summers do this year. The Twins have guys in the system . . .