PDA

View Full Version : John Gaub

Seth Stohs
05-21-2012, 06:46 PM
Left-handed pitcher. 27 years old. 11.8 K/9 in parts of four AAA seasons. St. Paul native.

Should the Twins consider claiming him? He has options, I believe. That's a lot of Ks... oh, 6.3 BB/9 too. Ick.

But, why not??

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-21-2012, 07:07 PM
He throws strike outs, which is a rarity in this system, however the Rays let him go, and the Rays are as savvy as they come, so if he wasn't good enough for them to keep around...I dunno. Couldn't hurt though.

Thrylos
05-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Funny thing is that he was drafted by the Twins in 2003 out of High School and did not sign and then signed with the Indians 3 years ago out of the U of M and not much higher (21st vs 25th rounds) Who knows? Ryan drafted him... But the Twins have better LHRs in the organization right now...

Bet some locals would have a good scouting report from his U of M years

glunn
05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
I agree -- why not? If he turns out not to be valuable, wouldn't the cost have been low?

On the other hand, it appears that the Rays claimed him from the Cubs only about 6 weeks ago, so I wonder whether the Twins already passed on him at that point, and now he may be even less appealing now that Tampa has dropped him. However, Rochester needs pitching -- could the Twins put him there?

Thrylos
05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Rochester needs pitching -- could the Twins put him there?

Rochester is fine :)
At this point they got: Hendriks, French, DeVries, Manship, D. Thompson starting and are stretching Malloney to start. If anything that's too much :)

Dilligaf69
05-21-2012, 07:27 PM
6 walks per 9 in the minors.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Rochester is fine :)
At this point they got: Hendriks, French, DeVries, Manship, D. Thompson starting and are stretching Malloney to start. If anything that's too much :)

Not to mention the last thing this team really lacks is RP in the minors, if the guy was a starter than by all means bring him in, but as a RP he would be pretty far down on the depth chart.

spideyo
05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
I agree -- why not? If he turns out not to be valuable, wouldn't the cost have been low?

On the other hand, it appears that the Rays claimed him from the Cubs only about 6 weeks ago, so I wonder whether the Twins already passed on him at that point, and now he may be even less appealing now that Tampa has dropped him. However, Rochester needs pitching -- could the Twins put him there?

No, they couldn't. If they claim him on waivers he has to go straight to the Majors. If they wanted to send him to AAA they would have to try and pass him through waivers themselves.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I don't think Gaub is worth the time. His age and walk rate are pretty big factors. No reason to add another LHP to AAA either.

benhertz
05-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Gaub was a teammate of Cole DeVries at the University of Minnesota.

Seth Stohs
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Gaub was claimed by the Rangers today.

benhertz
06-07-2012, 12:54 PM
UPDATE: The Rangers designated Gaub for assignment.

jokin
06-07-2012, 01:06 PM
UPDATE: The Rangers designated Gaub for assignment.

Low-risk... high-reward option if Gaub could somehow be channeled through to Rochester and have Cuellar work some magic on his control and mechanic difficulties. Can never have enough pitching and resurrected careers have seen past precedence. Opens up more potential trading chips from areas of surplus to areas of need.

benhertz
06-09-2012, 03:23 PM
UPDATE: Gaub was claimed by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Rosterman
06-09-2012, 05:58 PM
So, the Twins passed on him....... Man, usually they like going after former draftees (Thomas, Hollimon, Fultz, etc.....)