PDA

View Full Version : Article: Marquis Out. Who Should Replace Him?

Nick Nelson
05-21-2012, 05:59 PM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?565-Marquis-Out-Who-Should-Replace-Him

kmerfi
05-21-2012, 06:14 PM
I agree that Slama should be called up, but I don't think DeVries should be put into the rotation. In my mind, there are 4 other pitchers that would go before him: Swarzak, Hendriks, Duensing and even Liriano. Liriano going back into the rotation right now probably won't be much better than Marquis was, but at least he has demonstrated that he has potential to be much better, while DeVries is completely untested.

IdahoPilgrim
05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't see DeVries as building for the future; there is no upside. If this season is a total wash, then why not put Duensing back in the rotation? Help him figure out what his problem is against righties (which has developed over the last couple of years) and, if that can be accomplished (which will take giving him innings) you might have a decent back-of-rotation starter for a few years.

Seth Stohs
05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
I'd be for either Slama or DeVries coming up. Neither is about 'upside,' but both are long-time org guys who 1.) deserve a shot, and 2.) in a losing season, why not see what they've got. DeVries is two years younger than Slama.

Slama - deserves it, should have given more opportunities over past two years. I have no problem with him coming up.

DeVries - he's pitched well this year. When Walters/Diamond were promoted, DeVries was pitching equally well. He had a bad start and a half after that that dropped his ERA. On Saturday night, he threw 8 shutout innings and really dominated. He went out for the ninth and ended up getting charged for 4 runs in that inning.

Hendriks -certainly the highest upside, but best for him is to be allowed to develop more.

Oliveros - 15.2 consecutive scoreless innings between NB and ROCH.
Guerra - one bad outing all year.

mnfireman
05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Its too bad with everything he has gone through this spring. Maybe going to Rochester to get his head on straight and being able to be near his family will do him some good. Or maybe he'll ride off into the sunset. Good luck to him whatever his choice.

Blake
05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
I think Marquis was supposed to be nothing more than a placeholder for this year. I expected Marquis to be a .500 pitcher while pitching a lot of innings. Unfortunately for the Twins, Marquis forced their hand and now they have to make a move.

Seth, why is Slama tagged as a relief pitcher? It seems to me Slama's control issues would be easier to deal with or hide as a starting pitcher.

Anyway, I have to go with bringing up Slama. I think you're right, Seth, Slama deserves a look.

Dilligaf69
05-21-2012, 07:22 PM
I Have no problem with Slama either....Leave Hendriks in AAA for now. Either give DeVries a shot or just let Swarzak get a few starts until Hendriks is ready to come back up. My question still is IF Pavano gets skipped/pushed back on Thursday what happens??? Gardy said the spot start would come from "the clubhouse" I believe which to me means Swarzak/Liriano/Duensing. If that's the case just let Cisco take the ball for one start. He's only been in the pen two weeks so his stamina should not be a problem.

stringer bell
05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
What about Waldrop? He is out of options, I believe. He is on rehab, after which he will have to be recalled. There are too many deserving relief pitchers and no real good starting options. I certainly think that Slama's numbers deserve a shot. Guerra and Oliveros have earned their way to Rochester and probably to Minnesota.

Andrew Bryz-Gornia
05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Seth, why is Slama tagged as a relief pitcher? It seems to me Slama's control issues would be easier to deal with or hide as a starting pitcher.

I realize my name is not Seth, but Slama has basically two pitches: a fastball and a slurve. Typically you want a starter to have about 4 pitches.

bkucko
05-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Manship is transitioning back into a Starter and is still on the 40 man roster. Starting tonight against Gwinnett and has gone 4 Innings so far with 2 hits, 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. He's got some experience at the MLB level, it'd be worth a shot to see what he has left.

Thrylos
05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
This from LaVelle's just published blog:

The Twins are expected to announce on Tuesday who will replace Marquis in the rotation. [...] Liam Hendriks, , is a candidate. But righthander and former Gopher Cole DeVries has also emerged as a possibility. [...].
Whoever is called up is expected to start on Thursday against the White Sox in Chicago.

So looks like they are bringing a starter up (unless that is LaVelle's opinion) and if that is the case, I hope it is DeVries. Hendriks needs some time in AAA to build his confidence up.

twinstalker
05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
I did guess that he'd be the worst pitcher in baseball. And so did everyone else in my fantasy simulation leagues. He was the only starter with a for-sure job who was not chosen in my three leagues he was eligible (drafts occurring prior to his daughter's accident). And that's with Target Field being viewed as a pitcher's park. So at least forty-some of us all knew it. It doesn't surprise me that Terry Ryan didn't.

adjacent
05-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Manship is transitioning back into a Starter and is still on the 40 man roster. Starting tonight against Gwinnett and has gone 4 Innings so far with 2 hits, 0 walks and 3 strikeouts. He's got some experience at the MLB level, it'd be worth a shot to see what he has left.
He pitched so far 6 innings of shut out baseball. And he has pitched well all year. But he is just transitioning to stater right now, and the Twins need somebody right now. I think the most passable solution is to give some starts to Swarzak, and promote one of the relievers that are doing well (Slama is the most obvious). Longer term, promote Hendricks or Manship, if he continues to do well.

twinstalker
05-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Jerald Clark, Tony Batista, Jason Marquis, I want to add Craig Monroe because he's was added with Ryan's rec...almost every free agent Ryan has had anything to do with has been bottom of the heap. Or if not, then expected to do far more than capable of (Carroll, e.g)

twinstalker
05-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Willingham, I guess, sorry.

mike wants wins
05-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Too bad, I'd like Swarzak to start, and Slama to come up...actually, I'd like 12 pitchers, but that apparently is not possible.

mike wants wins
05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
???? Roy Oswalt?????

TwinsGuy55422
05-21-2012, 09:00 PM
I think the time to get Slama up is now. I'd slide Swarzak into the starting rotation until Hendriks is ready.

Thrylos
05-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Too bad, I'd like Swarzak to start, and Slama to come up...actually, I'd like 12 pitchers, but that apparently is not possible.

They got 12 Ps now. When Blackburn was DL'd Revere came up

Visnovsky
05-21-2012, 09:35 PM
It's a good thing the Twins ran Kevin Slowey out of town. He's not doing great but he would have been a better option than Marquis.

mike wants wins
05-21-2012, 10:07 PM
D'oh....ok then, Swarzak and Slama is my preference...

twinslover
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Bring up Slama, give him a real shot, and at the same time put Swarzak in the rotation and give him a realistic shot at the starting rotation. We've seen Henriks and Duensing get a chance to make an impression several times. But the more important question is, does it really matter?

Twinsoholic
05-21-2012, 10:19 PM

I agree about Manship. He won tonight, and I think he won his last start in impressive fashion. Believe it or not, but Manship is actually pitching very well in Rochester as a starter. He's striking guys out and going lots of innings. So, don't be surprised if it is Manship rather than DeVries who gets the call up. It could be Hendricks, but I think the Twins want to see him pitch a number of games in Rochester to see how he's performing.

Twinsoholic
05-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Manship, as someone above notes, is doing well as a starter. He won tonight with a great line, and I think he was similarly impressive in his last start. I would not be surprised if the Twins called him up rather than DeVries (or even Hendriks). I'm guessing it will be Manship if he is still on the 40-man roster.

SweetOne69
05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
With Marquis out the Twins actually need 2 starters for the rotation, 1 to pitch Thursday and 1 to take Blackburn's spot on Saturday.

Since Manship pitched tonight he is unavailable for Thursday, but he could start Saturday.

eveldrive
05-21-2012, 10:44 PM
I think they should make Duensing a starter and put Butera in a relief role. The guy can catch, hit for .300, and pitch to boot. He's turning into quite the all-around player.

twinslover
05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I think they should make Duensing a starter and put Butera in a relief role. The guy can catch, hit for .300, and pitch to boot. He's turning into quite the all-around player.

Stop drinking immediately.

jimbo92107
05-22-2012, 12:47 AM
I'd go make-or-break with Anthony Slama. Let's find out if he can get out major leaguers. Move Swarzak to the rotation. Same deal for Swarzak, make or break. If Either guy falters, feel free to make more moves. It's time for experiments, all season long.

gil4
05-22-2012, 07:46 AM
They got 12 Ps now. When Blackburn was DL'd Revere came up

I thought he meant 12 new pitchers (dumping all 12 that we have) but I see now that your interpretation was probably corect.

Mauerzy4Prez
05-22-2012, 08:09 AM
It's a good thing the Twins ran Kevin Slowey out of town. He's not doing great but he would have been a better option than Marquis.

Slowey has a 5.14 ERA and is 3/3 in for the Indian's AAA club... Who knows where he would even be in the Twins organization right now if he were still here. We ran him out of town because he was refusing to be a "team guy" and pitch in the pen. At least Marquis basically told everyone including the media that he sucks after his latest start. I'm not a Marquis apologist, but don't think that Kevin Slowey would be a more viable option, it was time for him to go somewhere else and pout.

Fire Dan Gladden
05-22-2012, 08:49 AM
No problem with moving Butera to a reliever. He could be like Bugs Bunny in the old cartoon: pitch and catch at the same time.

Seriously though, if we did move him to catcher, he would need TJ surgery within a month.

Blake
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
I realize my name is not Seth, but Slama has basically two pitches: a fastball and a slurve. Typically you want a starter to have about 4 pitches.

Thank you very much for the information. I didn't know that Slama is considered a two pitch pitcher.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
I think we minus well see what we have with Devries. Manship has only recently been starting, right? I say Cole should get 3 starts, and if he fails, Manship should have built up a little more stamina by then. And if Manship is still knocking on the door, then Devries should swap spots with him on the roster.

Montecore
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Slama. Starter maybe Frankie.

prairiejack
05-22-2012, 09:52 AM
Way past time to give Slama another chance. Seems they don't like him for some reason. How about bringing both Slama and Manship back up, send Mastroianni back down, and move Duensing into the rotation. As it's been said above, this year is going to be all about experiments, especially with pitching. Might as well go back to 13 for awhile; it's hard to see why the Twins need Revere, Komatsu and Mostrianni on the bench.

Yoshii
05-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Slama seems like the logical choice, doesn't really matter who you start between:

Duensing
Liam
Swarzak

anyone of these guys could be a 5th starter, I don't think it will make much of a difference in the long run win wise.

I guess I like the idea of leaving Duensing in the pen.

jmlease1
05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm fine with giving DeVries a shot as the 5th starter. My expectations are minimal, but you'd think he can't do worse than Marquis.

Marquis' total collapse is a bit surprising, frankly. I never expected great things out of him, but thought as a 5th starter he'd be a guy who could eat up a lot of innings if he was healthy. Which is why I was vaguely ok with a 1 year $3M deal on him. It wasn't a great move, but it didn't look awful, which it has turned out to be. He looks totally done.

The error is magnified, of course, due to the rest of the staff that was projected for the rotation struggling or getting hurt as well. It makes the Marquis signing look significantly worse than it really was, I think. (It's still a minimal commitment to a guy who supposedly was signed to fill a lesser role)

At the start of the season I called this twins club the hardest I'd ever seen to project, because there were so many questions and so few certainties in both the rotation, bullpen, and lineup. So far the rotation has crapped out on all of those questions (while the bullpen has pretty much answered them).

glunn
05-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I would give DeVries a chance, and if he does not work out, then bring back Hendriks.

ashburyjohn
05-22-2012, 02:52 PM
I would give DeVries a chance, and if he does not work out, then bring back Hendriks.

<singing><chanting>All we are saaaaying, give DeVries a chance.</chanting></singing>