PDA

View Full Version : Drew Butera the Next Sergio Santos?

Bark's Lounge
05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Maybe the Twins are using Drew Butera all wrong and not utilizing him to his greatest ability. Drew Butera, the Hard Throwing Relief Pitcher. If it can happen for Sergio Santos, why not Butera... he has a good arm and as a catcher, that might give him a leg up on his conversion to a pitcher.

Seth Stohs
05-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Normally I'd chuckle, but im good with anyone who hits 94 with a fastball.

Blake
05-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Hah, can you imagine? Butera is behind the plate until the Ninth, (can't afford to give up his bat right now) then moves to the mound for the save.....

Bark's Lounge
05-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Normally I'd chuckle, but im good with anyone who hits 94 with a fastball.

I wasn't able to watch this game, but I figured Butera's velocity was at least around 92 mph... he has a pretty strong arm as a catcher... you'd think it would translate somewhat to pitching. I have not checked it out, but I wouldn't be surprised if Santos and Butera have comparable hitting stats in MiLB. I am keeping my fingers crossed, we might have found our next closer or #1 set-up guy!:)

ashburyjohn
05-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Hah, can you imagine? Butera is behind the plate until the Ninth, (can't afford to give up his bat right now) then moves to the mound for the save.....

Yes, he clearly needs to pitch in the NL, where his bat will be a further asset. I smell a trade for a front-line starting pitcher.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Not only does he have the arm for a pitcher, but the bat for one as well. Unless this .360 thing is a sign of him turning things around of course. I think everyone is surprised by how well he's played and this thread couldn't by posted at a worse time! Whoever taught Drew Butera how to hit, albeit short term, deserves a reward or a medal of the sort.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Santos has been getting shelled this year and is sitting on the DL after posting a 9.00 ERA and 2.00 WHIP. Again dude, VERY bad timing!

Bark's Lounge
05-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes, he clearly needs to pitch in the NL, where his bat will be a further asset. I smell a trade for a front-line starting pitcher.

Get while the getting is good.. right Ashbury John?;)

Bark's Lounge
05-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Santos has been getting shelled this year and is sitting on the DL after posting a 9.00 ERA and 2.00 WHIP. Again dude, VERY bad timing!

Butera aside. Dude, Santos is battling injuries and is not the only power pitching closer to put up garbage numbers. Usually the bad numbers put up by that kind of player are because of an injured arm. One example: Around the 2000ish season I remember Bill Wagner (One of the best closers in MLB history) putting up horrific numbers with the Astros and he eventually was shut down and diagnosed with a UCL tear which required Tommy John surgery. He came back and was electric. Last I checked, although still pretty raw Santos has had some decent stats the last 2 seasons. If he was on this Twins club, he would be our best relief option bar none. As far as Butera goes dude, you are totally literal!

scottyc35
05-20-2012, 06:11 PM
don't look now but as of tonight, the mighty Drew Butera currently leads the team in batting average, AND he has the lowest ERA on the team.

darin617
05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Next move for Jason Marquis is either DFA or make him and OF... You have to find some way to get that bat in the line up.

Top Gun
05-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Maybe Marquis can catch? Earn his pay.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-21-2012, 09:26 AM
He has a pretty good career ERA and I'm not denying that Santos has had some success, but right now the comparison isn't very good. I don't understand sarcasm by the way. :)

SirLoin
05-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Well, he does hit like a pitcher.....