PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood Walking into the Sunset

Bark's Lounge
05-19-2012, 11:37 PM
These words I will type are not about the Twins, but it is baseball and I imagine no one will mind. I was flipping through the channels yesterday afternoon and came across the Cubs vs. White Sox game as Kerry Wood was being summoned from the Bullpen. I had read earlier in the day that he was going to retire after his next outing, in turn I felt obligated to watch it. It worked out well for Wood as he struck out Dayan Viciedo. He looked liked the Wood of yesteryear and his walk into the retirement sunset was highlighted by the fans and White Sox players' awareness of his retirement resulting with a huge standing ovation which required a curtain call or two. It was a nice baseball moment and they really don't come around as often as one would think. Although some may look at Wood's career as a disappointment because of the immediate impact he made in 1998 and how he never matched his rookie success because of injuries, Wood was indeed a solid Major League Power Pitcher when he was healthy and had a good career. 2nd best K/9 in MLB history behind The Big Unit. That is something to Hang Your Hat On. Congratulations Kerry Wood on a Very Good career. On another note - Twins win 4 in a row? Wow and great!

Twins Fan From Afar
05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
I didn't see it live, but watched in the next morning. As far as retiring years earlier than you would want goes (thanks, Dusty), that's about the greatest way to go out.

Bark's Lounge
05-21-2012, 09:11 PM
I didn't see it live, but watched in the next morning. As far as retiring years earlier than you would want goes (thanks, Dusty), that's about the greatest way to go out.

... Dusty Baker, the guillotine of pitching arms. Watch out Cueto, Latos, Leake, Bailey, etc., etc., etc.