Justin Morneau 1B
Trevor Plouffe RF
Alexi Casilla 2B
Jamey Carroll 3B
Scott Diamond P

Seth Stohs
05-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Prediction segment:

With Mauer catching Diamond (instead of Butera), I expect Diamond to give up more than 4 runs in less than 4 innings.

TwinsFanLV
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Observation Segment:

As long as Rick Anderson is Pitching Coach, this prediction applies to every Twins game with no need to restrict it to Diamond, Mauer and/or Butera.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Wow. Mauer catching and Morneau at 1B. Nice!

James
05-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Prediction segment:

With Mauer catching Diamond (instead of Butera), I expect Diamond to give up more than 4 runs in less than 4 innings.I don't know about that one. I'm betting that Diamond, Mauer and Butera all got together to keep Diamond's strategy going. Whatever they have been doing seems to have been working, so I don't think they're going to switch it up too much.

Will he go another 7 scoreless? I don't know, but I certainly hope so.

Shane Wahl
05-18-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't know about that one. I'm betting that Diamond, Mauer and Butera all got together to keep Diamond's strategy going. Whatever they have been doing seems to have been working, so I don't think they're going to switch it up too much.

Will he go another 7 scoreless? I don't know, but I certainly hope so.

Agreed.

Joe will be sitting tomorrow, then. He's gotta get rest once in awhile.

stringer bell
05-18-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty surprised Mauer is in the lineup as the catcher today. If Diamond regresses today, I guess it will give Gardy justification to have Butera catch him until he regresses some more.

Boom Boom
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
If Gardy is going to play Plouffe in the outfield every day now, isn't it rather redundant to be carrying three other outfielders on the bench?

stringer bell
05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
If Gardy is going to play Plouffe in the outfield every day now, isn't it rather redundant to be carrying three other outfielders on the bench?I don't think he trusts anybody but Carroll playing third. Until someone is acquired or recalled, I am predicting that Carroll is the starter there. Casilla starts by default at second, too.

Thrylos
05-18-2012, 04:47 PM
This is actually the best lineup the Twins can have right now against a LHP. With a righty pitching not so much. I'd rather see Revere instead of Plouffe batting 8th and playing CF with Span at RF. But good thing that Butera is not there :)

jeffk
05-18-2012, 05:35 PM
It's important that Mauer catch this series, since with Doumit injured, you don't want Butera and the pitcher batting back to back. Ick.

mnfireman
05-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I guess some readers forgot that Milwaukee is in th NL....no DH this weekend. Mauer and Morneau both play at least 2 of 3 in the field this weekend, and with an off day on Monday, maybe all 3 games!

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
I guess some readers forgot that Milwaukee is in th NL....no DH this weekend. Mauer and Morneau both play at least 2 of 3 in the field this weekend, and with an off day on Monday, maybe all 3 games!

Agree completely. There is no reason both shouldn't be in the lineup all weekend. It's been more than a 24 hr break since the last game, and it's not even June yet.

Alex
05-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Looks like Diamond will need to make sure to keep the ball down tonight as that thing is carrying.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Shoot. Hopefully Diamond can come up with a little damage control here.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Nice play by Carroll getting the runner at home.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Twins don't have a lot of hits, but they must be going deep into the count. Brewer's pitcher has 70+ pitches in 4 innings. Hope they have a lousy bullpen.

Alex
05-18-2012, 08:33 PM
In Detroit, Verlander's no-hit bid is broken up in the 9th. Wonder if he forgot to rush from the bench to take a leak in the 8th ala Weaver?

mikeee
05-18-2012, 08:45 PM
d'oh...
I just noticed there is no DH and was messed up. They are at Milwaukee...
Diamond got a single!

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Great hustle by Morneau there to beat out the throw. That was impressive.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Why was Diamond batting with sacks full and one out?

snepp
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Submarine-type pitcher.

2 drinks.

Alex
05-18-2012, 09:20 PM
He's pitching well, short bench.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Prediction segment:

With Mauer catching Diamond (instead of Butera), I expect Diamond to give up more than 4 runs in less than 4 innings.

Looks like we might have a good pitcher, no matter who is calling the game!
Guess he gave up his first runs tho...

TwinsFanLV
05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Idiotic to let Diamond hit with the bases loaded. Perfect situation for Doumit to pinch hit.

No idea what Gardenhire is thinking. Maybe he's practicing his singing for the radio jingle.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Letting Diamond hit in the top of the 6th is...questionable.

TwinsFanLV
05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Chief: How many Tuscon Padre's games have you seen this year?

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 09:45 PM

To me it signals either.

A. Over confidence is Diamond.
B. Under confidence in Bullpen.
c. Gardy was distracted by an amusing antidote told by Andy.
d. Irrentioanal fear that is somehow leaves us a catcher short and loss of the DH spot in a national league park.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Maybe just a little more rest for the pen.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Looks like Diamond will pitch the 7th with Carrol out.

TwinsFanLV
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Kerry Wood retired today, on a high note. After the Twins win three in a row, can someone mention to Gardenhire what a nice gesture that was for everyone?

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Chief: How many Tuscon Padre's games have you seen this year?

Only one, unfortunately. Stinking job gets in the way. I'm actually at work right now.....ssssshhhhhh

How's about you? PCL to your liking?

mikeee
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
guess he is not coming out for 7.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Kerry Wood retired today, on a high note. After the Twins win three in a row, can someone mention to Gardenhire what a nice gesture that was for everyone?

shhhh. Don't jinx us on the win.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 09:56 PM
To me it signals either.

A. Over confidence is Diamond.
B. Under confidence in Bullpen.
c. Gardy was distracted by an amusing antidote told by Andy.
d. Irrentioanal fear that is somehow leaves us a catcher short and loss of the DH spot in a national league park.

I'd guess he wanted to squeeze another inning or two out of Diamond, with a lead. Unless Diamond hits into a DP there, he doesn't end the inning. With the amount of work the bullpen has been forced into, I can at least understand that rationale. Like I said...in my mind, it's questionable, but certainly not a decision that can't be defended.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 09:57 PM
guess he is not coming out for 7.

Does the NL have the reentry rule or something?

Alex
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM

I'm fine with it. No big hitters on the bench (Doumit still hurting?) and the pitcher spot coming up two more times in the game and Diamond pitching well anyway...I think with the rest of the starters, he's trying to save the pen a bit more. In hindsight it wasn't worth it, though it may also matter, but most critical post seem to be in hindsight. I don't watch enough NL games, to know the numbers here, but I'm fine with it and am not a major fan of Gardy's strategy overall.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM

LOL I didn't have the heart to mention he isn't Swarzak.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm fine with it. No big hitters on the bench (Doumit still hurting?) and the pitcher spot coming up two more times in the game and Diamond pitching well anyway...I think with the rest of the starters, he's trying to save the pen a bit more. In hindsight it wasn't worth it, though it may also matter, but most critical post seem to be in hindsight. I don't watch enough NL games, to know the numbers here, but I'm fine with it and am not a major fan of Gardy's strategy overall.

Anyone know where his pitch count was at the time?

TwinsFanLV
05-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Chief: Cashman field in Las Vegas is the most dismal place in professional baseball. I force myself to attend one game each year, just to prove to myself that it still sucks.

Been to seven Cal League games and one at Petco so far this year. Lake Elsinore (Class A, Padres) has a gorgeous stadium and offers a great value. Check out Storm baseball on YouTube to take a look.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM

I just figgered he was pitching well, and when his at bat didn't happen that inning, he would get to pitch another.

Alex
05-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Finished with 86, so likely below 80.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Good to see Morneau with hits.. I guess everyone is getting them.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Cept Plouffe.... lol

Dilligaf69
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
prediction segment:

With mauer catching diamond (instead of butera), i expect diamond to give up more than 4 runs in less than 4 innings.

ooops!!!!!;)

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Finished with 86, so likely below 80.

OK... I Would pulled him. I think Gardy looked away for a second... Looked back and said... "alright let's step up here. Swing the heck outta that thing... Bases loaded go get him... (pause)... What's Diamond doing up there. Scotty what's Diamond doing at the plate. Shoot.. It's a national league game. You gotta get me ready for that... Alright let him pitch a third of an inning more and we will bring in Swarzy".

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Cept Plouffe.... lol

Plouffes body language is just horrible. He looks like he's dying inside.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 10:21 PM
I just figgered he was pitching well, and when his at bat didn't happen that inning, he would get to pitch another.

Diamond was removed for Swarzak in the bottom of the 6th.

striker_86
05-18-2012, 10:24 PM
When Mauer does what he is supposed to, this team has a nice lookin offense. Good to see Diamond get another nice start. Should take some pressure off the bullpen (they'll be needed tomorrow and Sunday).

Brewers have used 6 pitchers already?

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Chief: Cashman field in Las Vegas is the most dismal place in professional baseball. I force myself to attend one game each year, just to prove to myself that it still sucks.

Been to seven Cal League games and one at Petco so far this year. Lake Elsinore (Class A, Padres) has a gorgeous stadium and offers a great value. Check out Storm baseball on YouTube to take a look.

Been to Vegas many, many times, but almost always in the winter. Wanted to take in a game, there, to add to my list, but based on your review I'll not lose any sleep over never having been there.

For a while after I retired from the AF, I had the greatest part time job ever. I worked as a stringer for BIS when Tucson was still the AAA team for the Dbacks. Got paid to watch baseball...crossed that off my bucket list. Would do around 50ish games a year. Unfortunately, work situation changed and I had to quit. Minor league baseball is fabulous, even if AAA has become mostly a dumping ground.

Montecore
05-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Good to see Mauer and Morneau hitting. Good work by the pen, specially Swarzek when it was still close. Diamond gets the win, a triple by Revere, etc.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Diamond was removed for Swarzak in the bottom of the 6th.

I know.
I was hoping they'd leave him in.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:31 PM
When Mauer does what he is supposed to, this team has a nice lookin offense. Good to see Diamond get another nice start. Should take some pressure off the bullpen (they'll be needed tomorrow and Sunday).

Brewers have used 6 pitchers already?

I agree but... 4 Brewer errors will make an offense look real good. You can't give up extra outs. The Brewers were very kind to us.

Bad defense and the team packs it in. The pitching... The hitting... Everything and they wait for a new game tomorrow. It's Brewer go thru the motions time.

Nice winning streak for the Twins tho and we did it without the Butera hot bat.

Dilligaf69
05-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Rough night for the "bullDozier".....haha...you see what I did there.:cool:

striker_86
05-18-2012, 10:34 PM
I agree but... 4 Brewer errors will make an offense look real good. You can't give up extra outs. The Brewers were very kind to us.

Bad defense and the team packs it in. The pitching... The hitting... Everything and they wait for a new game tomorrow. It's Brewer go thru the motions time.

Yeah, we have to face Gallardo then Grienke. Win one of those and Ill be thrilled.

Dilligaf69
05-18-2012, 10:34 PM

Part of the game, we've done it a 100 times this yr. I'm not about to analyze how we scored 11 runs...not this season. Enjoy it cuz it probably won't last much longer.

Dilligaf69
05-18-2012, 10:35 PM
We seem to hit Greinke OK so another win is possible.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
I was going to post that 11-3 is the perfect opportunity to get Liriano some work.

But then I realized it's Liriano, and it's only an 8 run lead.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Gallardo is inconsistent and we are hot. We could have some sweep mo going into Greinke.

mikeee
05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
What a nice pounding!!!

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 10:48 PM
9th inning RP on the mound... Bases juiced... . Brings back memories of Ike Davis's Dad.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 10:48 PM
First three game win streak since July 5th. Nevertheless, it feels good. Let's make it four. Gallardo can be had.

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 10:50 PM
9th inning RP on the mound... Bases juiced... . Brings back memories of Ike Davis's Dad.

As long as you refer to him as Ike Davis's dad, I can live with it. But in my house, his actual name is not spoken aloud.

Ultima Ratio
05-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Just one game back of last in the MLB. Now we go. Now we make a run.

stringer bell
05-18-2012, 11:05 PM
OK... I Would pulled him. I think Gardy looked away for a second... Looked back and said... "alright let's step up here. Swing the heck outta that thing... Bases loaded go get him... (pause)... What's Diamond doing up there. Scotty what's Diamond doing at the plate. Shoot.. It's a national league game. You gotta get me ready for that... Alright let him pitch a third of an inning more and we will bring in Swarzy".It was only the 6th inning, the Twins had only one out and Diamond had cruised through the fourth and fifth. The Twins were coming off a 2 inning start only two days ago and had used four pitchers yesterday. There are arguments on both sides, but I think Gardenhire made the right call. Not trying to sound too much like Bremer, but I like having these decisions to argue over when playing under NL rules.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 11:21 PM
It was only the 6th inning, the Twins had only one out and Diamond had cruised through the fourth and fifth. The Twins were coming off a 2 inning start only two days ago and had used four pitchers yesterday. There are arguments on both sides, but I think Gardenhire made the right call. Not trying to sound too much like Bremer, but I like having these decisions to argue over when playing under NL rules.

I realize it's not a cut and dried decision. I also like the National league style as well. Managers have some extra thoughts to consider.

Recent hitting aside. You have a team that has scuffled for runs all year. 2 run lead and sacks full with one out which is a higher percentage run scoring opp as opposed to two outs. At the time... You need that run. Pitches are walking strikeouts, pop ups and DP's.

80 pitches on the pitch count. Diamond would not get to the 7th regardless. Do you risk the high percentage run chance for one more inning from a rookie pitcher. No matter how sharp he has been. I don't... But that's me. I applied for the Twins Manager job and didn't get a call back. Can you believe that...

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 11:23 PM
As long as you refer to him as Ike Davis's dad, I can live with it. But in my house, his actual name is not spoken aloud.

Same here... He's Ike Sr.

Riverbrian
05-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Just one game back of last in the MLB. Now we go. Now we make a run.

We gotta stop this winning crap. 2013 #1 pick overall. I want that pick!!!

USAFChief
05-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Same here... He's Ike Sr.

I don't know what's worse: Ike Sr, or the fact many posters here have no idea what we're talking about.

CDog
05-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Anyone know where his pitch count was at the time?

Bremer said 75.

twinsnorth49
05-19-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't know what's worse: Ike Sr, or the fact many posters here have no idea what we're talking about.

What makes you say that?

Shane Wahl
05-19-2012, 01:04 AM
The Brewers' announcers mentioned that a comparable pitcher to Diamond was Cliff Lee . . . that made me laugh.

Note: they qualified it and everything, but I still found it funny.

Ultima Ratio
05-19-2012, 01:15 AM
The Brewers' announcers mentioned that a comparable pitcher to Diamond was Cliff Lee . . . that made me laugh.

Note: they qualified it and everything, but I still found it funny.

Delivery and mechanics I'm guessing? Oh and that he's a lefty starting pitcher. ;)

Shane Wahl
05-19-2012, 01:55 AM
If Gardy is going to play Plouffe in the outfield every day now, isn't it rather redundant to be carrying three other outfielders on the bench?

Who would you rather have on the roster? Another pitcher? A fourth catcher? Mastroianni and Komatsu are there because they really aren't prospects or guys with futures for the Twins (and they bat opposite). There is no problem starting each of them once a week and bringing them in late in games to replace Willingham or Doumit when he is in right.

CDog
05-19-2012, 01:15 PM
What makes you say that?

That must be rhetorical...you're around enough that I feel like you must have a pretty good idea of the answer to that.