PDA

View Full Version : Nick Blackburn's Thigh Injury?

Seth Stohs
05-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Following the game, Manager Ron Gardenhire mentioned that RHP Nick Blackburn had an injury in his thigh? I translate that to meaning... we need an excuse to get him out of this rotation because he is really bad. Need an injury to get him to the DL.

But, if Blackburn would go on the DL, who would start?

My assumption:
Anthony Swarzak would move to rotation with Jeff Manship taking Swarzak's long relief job.

Could also be:

Brian Duensing or Cole DeVries. (DeVries would need a 40 man roster spot to open up)

TKGuy
05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Manship went 5 for Rochester tonight, could be stretching him out

Fanatic Jack
05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Seth,

Everytime Blackburn gets rocked the team doctors come up with some mysterious injury. It's getting pretty old!! When will management admit he is terrible and just outright release him. Nobody would pick him up anyways.

lecroy24fan
05-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Looking at the Twins website I only see 38 players on the 40 man.

nicksaviking
05-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Dipping into AAA has been the best bet so far. My vote is give DeVries a shot.

TwinsGuy55422
05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I would like to see DeVries get a shot too.

jorgenswest
05-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Bullpen has really been worked this week. Maybe we will see Slama while giving Duensing or Swarzak a start.

TKGuy
05-16-2012, 10:46 PM
What about Bromberg? Is it time to move him up to AAA at least to eventually getting a look later?

Seth Stohs
05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd be against Duensing starting, but I'm fine with Swarzak if they then go with Manship or Slama in the bullpen. I'd be fine with Manship starting.

Bromberg could be moved up to Rochester anytime to start.

Honestly, I don't care who gets a start if it's in place of Nick Blackburn. We have seen enough of him. (or at least I have)

Top Gun
05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Nick Blackburn was battling a sore left quad throughout his start Wednesday night against the Tigers.

Blackburn wound up allowing six earned runs in just two innings to Detroit. The Twins can skip his next turn in the rotation because of an off day in their schedule and seem likely to do just that. The 30-year-old righty has an 8.37 ERA and 1.77 WHIP in seven starts this season.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/151822845.html)

greengoblinrulz
05-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Manship also went 89pitches tonight. Looks better than the 5IPs. Ive hated Blackburn since he first came up.......cant wait till he's gone.

jorgenswest
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Will they ever learn? If he has any kind of injury, put him on the DL. If they can skip a Blackburn start, they only lose one more. Some might argue that it is really a loss.

The last time they didn't DL him to get one start over 15 days, they had to DFA Luke Hughes. Blackburn was awful in that one extra start. Why not bring up Slama and have Swarzak, Duensing or even Liriano take that start a week from Saturday?

I have asked a few times, do they really need 13 pitchers? With this starting rotation in may not be enough. Let's get another arm for the pen.

USAFChief
05-17-2012, 12:05 AM
Yup. If there's ever a case where DLing makes sense whether he needs it or not, this is it. Don't let him use up one of the 13 roster spots already allocated to pitchers just to sit there for 11 days. He's already done that once this season and it's only mid-May.

Hell, if it were up to me, I'd DFA him and hope somebody claimed him and his contract. If nobody does, send him to Rochester. He's had enough chances.

deanlambrecht
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
I'd be against Duensing starting, but I'm fine with Swarzak if they then go with Manship or Slama in the bullpen. I'd be fine with Manship starting.

Ditto.

And now I predict the diagnosis for Blackburn: unilateral leg weakness.

spideyo
05-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Apparently Blackburn said it felt like "a knife sticking in his leg". Based on that description, and the fact that it hurt a little, went away for a few days, and came back....

I would be willing to bet money it's not a leg injury. It sounds like sciatic pain, likely caused by a bulging disc in his lower back. If that's the case, we won't see him pitch again until at least July, if at all the rest of this year.

Which means we'll need a long-term replacement. Swarzak and Duensing might do okay as spot starters, but I don't think either of those guys are going to be able to hold down a rotation spot for the next several months. If they think Liriano and Marquis are going to be halfway dependable starters by the end of June, then either of the above guys could fill in for a bit, but if there really is a chance that they'll dump Marquis and/or they don't think Liriano will start again, it's time to get DeVries his chance and start looking outside for some help too.

IdahoPilgrim
05-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Following the game, Manager Ron Gardenhire mentioned that RHP Nick Blackburn had an injury in his thigh? I translate that to meaning... we need an excuse to get him out of this rotation because he is really bad. Need an injury to get him to the DL.

But, if Blackburn would go on the DL, who would start?

My assumption:
Anthony Swarzak would move to rotation with Jeff Manship taking Swarzak's long relief job.

Could also be:

Brian Duensing or Cole DeVries. (DeVries would need a 40 man roster spot to open up)

They have an opening on the 40-man.

travistwinstalk
05-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Im sorry to say,but Cole Devries would get hammered atthe big league level. I have followed devries career since he became a Twins and he has overcome the odds to make it to AAA. He doesn't have anything that screams major leaguer and as much as I like him and root for him there is no doubt in my mind that bringing him up would be a disaster. Since when do you reward a person for working hard and being a ok pitcher. That sounds crass but Devries is a C pitcher in the minor leagues and would be a F pitcher at the big leagues. I don't know where people all of a sudden think he is a good pitcher because he is an average pitcher. I really hope I am wrong because i respect the heck out of him with all he has been through from getting promoted and then demoted. He is a role model for fringe prospects to keep trying, but I can't say with a clean conscious that him coming up would be anything but a complete disaster. Devries is 31-42 with a 4.00 era in 6 minor league seasons nothing that screams promotion.

mike wants wins
05-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Not sure it matters, even if the new guy is worse than Blackburn, giving up 7 runs instead of 5, it's still PROBABLY a loss....so, it should either be a guy that is ready, or a guy that won't be harmed by coming up. I vote Manship or Swarzak. They've been good soldiers, and deserve to make some decent money for their efforts. There isn't really a better option anyway, so go ahead and reward those guys. I'd also like Slama up for the same reason.....

Shane Wahl
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Im sorry to say,but Cole Devries would get hammered atthe big league level. I have followed devries career since he became a Twins and he has overcome the odds to make it to AAA. He doesn't have anything that screams major leaguer and as much as I like him and root for him there is no doubt in my mind that bringing him up would be a disaster. Since when do you reward a person for working hard and being a ok pitcher. That sounds crass but Devries is a C pitcher in the minor leagues and would be a F pitcher at the big leagues. I don't know where people all of a sudden think he is a good pitcher because he is an average pitcher. I really hope I am wrong because i respect the heck out of him with all he has been through from getting promoted and then demoted. He is a role model for fringe prospects to keep trying, but I can't say with a clean conscious that him coming up would be anything but a complete disaster. Devries is 31-42 with a 4.00 era in 6 minor league seasons nothing that screams promotion.

Did you just seriously use a W-L record to evaluate a pitcher?! Good lord.

You are right, even though you don't say it, that DeVries is different as a reliever than as a starter. And I would not expect him to be very good in the majors, but what do you want the Twins to do at this point? Even DeVries starting is better than Blackburn. The Twins just cannot keep running these guys out there to pitch this terribly again and again and again. It is beyond absurd and I am not even confident that the law of averages is going to be on the side of Marquis and Blackburn. That's scary.

Boom Boom
05-17-2012, 08:22 AM
So how many days of sitting on the bench will it take for the Twins to retroactively place Span on the DL?

Shane Wahl
05-17-2012, 08:35 AM
So how many days of sitting on the bench will it take for the Twins to retroactively place Span on the DL?

I bet he plays Friday or Saturday, but if you are right about this then something has to be done about this problem. I am not in the area, but have any of the sports "journalists" at the Strib been vehement in calling this issue out? Has anyone actually addressed Terry Ryan about this problem? And if they haven't, why not? The Twins have already done it again this year with Morneau.

Teflon
05-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Honestly, I don't care who gets a start if it's in place of Nick Blackburn. We have seen enough of him. (or at least I have)

God yes. This "injury" business is getting absurd with the pitchers. (And give Slama a shot already. He's earned it.)

Boom Boom
05-17-2012, 08:45 AM
With the Twins carrying 13 pitchers they need to be more assertive about putting position players on the DL if they're hurt. Hamstring strains are notoriously slow to heal, and I have a feeling Span will be on the DL before this is resolved.

SweetOne69
05-17-2012, 08:55 AM

I would normally agree with you based on past performance, but apparently Duensing has made some adjustments against righties this year that seems to be working. So for this year he has faced more righties than lefties and he is holding righties to a .231 and lefties to a .138 which is a lot better than his career .299 split against righties.

Duensing is probably going to get another audition for a starting spot in 2013 anyway, might as well start it now. Of course the same can be said for Swarzak, Manship and Hendricks.

prairiejack
05-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Curious why the preference for Swarzak over Duensing? I just hope they get Blackburn to the DL, move one of those two into the rotation and give Slama a chance in the bullpen.

IdahoPilgrim
05-17-2012, 09:14 AM

So basically he would fit right in with the Twins rotation.

Shane Wahl
05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Curious why the preference for Swarzak over Duensing? I just hope they get Blackburn to the DL, move one of those two into the rotation and give Slama a chance in the bullpen.

Duensing is excellent as a reliever facing mostly lefties and is not good as a starter facing a bunch of righties.

Dilligaf69
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm fine with Swarzak too, put Blackie on the DL and figure out what to do with him. Nobody is this bad so I have to believe the injury has at least something to do with it but right now he's not even worth a long relief role. BTW how much longer is his contract??? gotta be at least a yr or two.

Dilligaf69
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Duensing is excellent as a reliever facing mostly lefties and is not good as a starter facing a bunch of righties.

Agree! leaver Duensing where he's had most of his success...that's in the bullpen!

Yoshii
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Duensing would be next in line to start over Swarzak for sure.

Thrylos
05-17-2012, 09:56 AM
The Twins have 38 men on their 40-man roster; 20 pitchers and 18 position players.

I suspect that if they have to call someone for Blackburn it will be the pitcher who is listed on the 25-man roster but has been on the DL since the begining of the season and has been doing rehab appearances in Fort Myers (pitching 2 scoreless innings in 2 games). That would be Kyle Waldrop. Just my guess. Or if he is not 100%, at this point Deolis Guerra deserves the call up more than Jeff Manship who has been mediocre this season in AAA. (Matter of fact half of Rochester's roster deserves beeing called up before Manship at this point...)

Shane Wahl
05-17-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm fine with Swarzak too, put Blackie on the DL and figure out what to do with him. Nobody is this bad so I have to believe the injury has at least something to do with it but right now he's not even worth a long relief role. BTW how much longer is his contract??? gotta be at least a yr or two.

They are going to pay this joke $5.5 million next year. It's atrocious. I have no clue as to why they ever gave him that contract. It was straight-up irrational.

IdahoPilgrim
05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
The Twins have 38 men on their 40-man roster; 20 pitchers and 18 position players.

I suspect that if they have to call someone for Blackburn it will be the pitcher who is listed on the 25-man roster but has been on the DL since the begining of the season and has been doing rehab appearances in Fort Myers (pitching 2 scoreless innings in 2 games). That would be Kyle Waldrop. Just my guess. Or if he is not 100%, at this point Deolis Guerra deserves the call up more than Jeff Manship who has been mediocre this season in AAA. (Matter of fact half of Rochester's roster deserves beeing called up before Manship at this point...)

They have 39 - they have 19 position players: Butera, Doumit, Mauer, Carroll, Casilla, Dozier, Morneau, Nishioka, Parmelee, Valencia, Arcia, Benson, Komatsu, Mastroianni, Plouffe, Revere, Span, Tosoni, Willingham

It looks like the "official" list on the Twins website is incorrect - Parmelee is omitted. He was optioned to Rochester, not outrighted, so he is still on the 40-man.

SweetOne69
05-17-2012, 10:22 AM

His results so far this season dispute that. He even had a 3-inning outing recently were he retired all righties he faced.

SweetOne69
05-17-2012, 10:32 AM
It looks like Blackburn is going to the DL instead of Doumit, but does Blackburn have options left? He isn't a 5-yr vet yet so he can be sent down without his permission, but does he have any options left or would have to clear waivers first.

cr9617
05-17-2012, 11:15 AM
They are going to pay this joke $5.5 million next year. It's atrocious. I have no clue as to why they ever gave him that contract. It was straight-up irrational.

The Genius of Bill Smith.

That extension made no sense at the time, and, obviously, looks even worse now. No other organization in baseball would have overvalued Blackey the way the Twins did.

Where are all the Blackey apologists now?

alarp33
05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
When was the last time Blacburn got shelled (or pitched, since they are hand in hand) where there wasn't an excuse offered afterwards?
"Arm was too strong, ball wasn't sinking" "Arm was a little sore" "Leg was sore". If you can't pitch effectively (which I dont think he can do healthy or not) then don't go to the damn mound.

Thrylos
05-17-2012, 11:23 AM
It looks like Blackburn is going to the DL instead of Doumit, but does Blackburn have options left? He isn't a 5-yr vet yet so he can be sent down without his permission, but does he have any options left or would have to clear waivers first.

He has one option left