PDA

View Full Version : Game 36 - Twins @ Detroit - 3/16/12

Seth Stohs
05-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Twins Lineup:

Erik Komatsu CF (Denard Span scratched with hammy)
Brian Dozier SS
Joe Mauer DH
Josh Willingham LF
Justin Morneau 1B
Ryan Doumit C
Trevor Plouffe RF
Alexi Casilla 2B
Jamey Carroll 3B

SP: Nick Blackburn

Gernzy
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Good to see Morneau back in the lineup. Lets hope he brings a spark back to the offense.

Shane Wahl
05-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Not gonna lie, I like Dozier hitting 5th or 6th (aside from the obvious fact that Mauer should be batting second).

James
05-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Gave up on Plouffe at 3rd, or are they looking for better infield defense? Or just a day off for the other guys?

Ultima Ratio
05-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Best lineup (on paper anyway) we've seen in 2-3 weeks. Will this translate to runs.... not holding my breath.

Top Gun
05-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm lookin forward to the Twins sweeping the Tigers!

mike wants wins
05-16-2012, 04:36 PM
I'd like Plouffe in RF full time for a month....

Alex
05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd like Plouffe in RF full time for a month....

I really don't care where he plays, but I hope he gets regular at bats for a bit.

SweetOne69
05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm lookin forward to the Twins sweeping the Tigers!

The odds of a sweep are pretty good (2 game series), but the odds aren't in the Twins' favor.

I like our chances of winning tomorrow, but not tonight. Hopefully Blackie can't cobble together a good outing.

Seth Stohs
05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Erik Komatsu in CF and leading off tonight. Span scratched with the hammy.

IdahoPilgrim
05-16-2012, 05:05 PM
The odds of a sweep are pretty good (2 game series), but the odds aren't in the Twins' favor.

I like our chances of winning tomorrow, but not tonight. Hopefully Blackie can't cobble together a good outing.

I would go the other way - I'm more worried about Fister than Porcello. Besides, maybe Blackburn will have a surprise good outing. What's that saying about the blind squirrel and the nut?

Thrylos
05-16-2012, 05:39 PM
So Komatsu (a hitter who should not be hitting higher than 8th - like Mastroianni last night) leads off today. Why? Because he is playing CF and that is where the CF has to start according the manager of the millennium?

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 06:27 PM
So Komatsu (a hitter who should not be hitting higher than 8th - like Mastroianni last night) leads off today. Why? Because he is playing CF and that is where the CF has to start according the manager of the millennium?

Gardy doesn't like to screw up the lineup continuity I guess, even though the Twins have used about 40 different lineups. Who knows.

IdahoPilgrim
05-16-2012, 06:30 PM

He does have a .333 OBP. The only higher in the lineup are Willingham (who you want clean-up) and Mauer (who you want 2nd or 3rd).

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 06:33 PM

There are at least 4 hitters in the lineup that "should not be hitting higher than 8th." Do you propose Gardy double-fill the 8 and 9 spots, and leave 1 and 2 open?

There are legitimate things to question Gardy about. This isn't one of them.

Shane Wahl
05-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Dozier!!!!!

mikeee
05-16-2012, 06:42 PM
who's your tiger?

Shane Wahl
05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Who else do you propose leading off in such a situation? Komatsu and Mastroianni are good OBP guys. Unless you suppose moving Mauer there, I am not sure what else to do!

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
So far at least, Dozier appears to be able to stay at SS, and hasn't been overwhelmed by MLB pitching. Nice to see.

TwinsGuy55422
05-16-2012, 06:47 PM
I know it's still early, but I am liking Dozier more and more.

Alex
05-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Dick just mentioned that Twins have turned more DP than they have hit into. Wonder if it has anything to do with the number of "opportunities." :p

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Well, hopefully the Twins aren't done scoring runs. 5 probably won't be enough to win this game.

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
F*** Nick Blackburn.

Locking him up was a stupid decision right up there with all the other stupid decisions Twins management has made over the past few years.

woolhouse
05-16-2012, 06:58 PM
At least Blackburn is following the leadership of the veteran Pavano, coughing up those runs right back to the Tigers the same inning.

mikeee
05-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Blackie gives them all back.

TwinsGuy55422
05-16-2012, 07:00 PM
It seems impossible for the Twins to score some runs and follow up by by putting a zero on the board. This is getting so old.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 07:00 PM
If Blackburn stays in the rotation all season, he will have a great shot at 20 losses.

Alex
05-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Well, hopefully the Twins aren't done scoring runs. 5 probably won't be enough to win this game.

I totally get that line in Richard III now, "My kingdom for a starting pitcher!"

NorthwestTwinsFan
Mercifully, Cabrera gives the Twins a free out with idiotic baserunning.

mikeee
Let's hear it for some boneheaded baserunning by the Tigers to give the last out.

Alex
05-16-2012, 07:04 PM

This post came true in less than 5 minutes. Impressive. Coincidentally I was talking to my dad, who wasn't watching the game yet, when Tigers had runners at first and third and told him he should turn it on quick or he might miss the Twins being ahead. I was mostly joking.

mike wants wins
05-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Blackburn sucks. Awful signing, which most of us warned....

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
That was clearly a homerun.

twinswon1991
05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
What is the MLB record for worst team ERA? This team CAN finish first in something! Blacky and Marquis should be CUT immediately.

Need more guys like Dozier, Diamond, etc up in the bigs to audition for the 2013 club.

Alex
05-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Let's hear it for some boneheaded baserunning by the Tigers to give the last out.

Yeah, how many runs have they cost themselves far? Four? This means the Tigers are responsible for almost every run in the game.

NorthwestTwinsFan
That was clearly a homerun.

Hmmm....maybe not.

woolhouse
Remember in 2009, when Blackburn held the Yankees to 1 run in 7-8 innings at Yankee Stadium in the playoffs? The Twins' coaching staff must, because that must be the only reason he is still pitching on this team.

one_eyed_jack
05-16-2012, 07:08 PM
I can't believe how truly awful our rotation has been this year.

Shane Wahl
05-16-2012, 07:09 PM
I went away for 20 minutes to put my 14-month-old son to sleep. Then I see that the toddler equivalent to a MLB pitcher blows another game. This is despicable. Get an "injury", Blackburn.

one_eyed_jack
05-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Remember in 2009, when Blackburn held the Yankees to 1 run in 7-8 innings at Yankee Stadium in the playoffs? The Twins' coaching staff must, because that must be the only reason he is still pitching on this team.

---Yeah, it was fun when Blackburn, Pavano and Liriano could actually get guys out with at least some degree of regularity

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Minnesota's situational hitting is embarrassing.

mikeee
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
4 errors on Detroit this game.
That's about what I would expect with miggy at third. lol

mikeee
05-16-2012, 07:18 PM
I should say "so far"...

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Wow, Blackburn's night is over.

VATwinsFan
05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Wow, Blackburn's night is over.

Well, he did his part to take the starters' combined ERA a bit higher.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Well, he did his part to take the starters' combined ERA a bit higher.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying it's a bad thing he's done. It just sucks that the Twins can't even get 5 innings from most of their starters.

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
In another thread, I posted "are we sure 13 pitchers is enough?"

I was attempting to be snarky.

Turns out that might not be enough to get through tonight's game.

jeffk
05-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Gladden is on his game making fun of the Tigers' fielding. Why does everyone hate him so much? I find his weird sense of humor a nice contrast to Corey's professionalism.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
I wonder what Trevor Plouffe has to do to prove he's not a major league player.

deanlambrecht
05-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Jamey Carroll = real baseball player.

glunn
05-16-2012, 08:27 PM

Go zero for 100?

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM

How about: "be given a chance to prove it?"

He's had fewer than 450 MLB PAs.

Alexi Casilla has had over 1500...and has the same MLB OPS as Trevor Plouffe. With, BTW, a lower walk rate and less power.

deanlambrecht
05-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Three pitches. Way to go, Plouffe! Wow.

uno321
05-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Nice rip by Morneau. What does everyone think of the 3B coach (Steve Liddle)? It was tough to tell from the TV view, but it looked like Willingham could have scored. I realize he's slow, there was 1 out with Doumit on deck, but there have been many occasions where it seemed he has held guys up when it appeared they could have easily scored. Overall though, better than Ulger. He was pretty bad.

Top Gun
05-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Plouffe sucks .125 8 for 64 his gold glove won't save him!

mike wants wins
05-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Alexi Casilla has had over 1500...and has the same MLB OPS as Trevor Plouffe. With, BTW, a lower walk rate and less power.

Stop with the facts....

ashburyjohn
05-16-2012, 08:44 PM
If Blackburn stays in the rotation all season, he will have a great shot at 20 losses.

This is a great example of the old saying, you have to be a good pitcher to lose 20. Blackburn will not be the next to do it.

Top Gun
05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Fact is he has well over 400 and can't hit .200!

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 08:50 PM

I don't remember saying anything about Casilla being a major league player....not sure why his name is mentioned here. But you can't seriously tell me that there's another team in Major League Baseball that would have Trevor Plouffe on its roster.

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't remember saying anything about Casilla being a major league player....not sure why his name is mentioned here. But you can't seriously tell me that there's another team in Major League Baseball that would have Trevor Plouffe on its roster.

You asked what he had to do to prove he's not a major league player. I provided an answer. Along with an example of a player who I feel HAS proven himself not to be a MLB player, yet is still hanging around and few people complain about.

As for Plouffe being on a major league roster, coming into tonight there were 4 regulars in the AL alone, each with significantly more PAs than Plouffe, with worse offensive numbers. Three of them are significantly older, one the same age. So yes, I believe there are other major league teams who wouldn't have cut bait on Plouffe yet, particularly considering he's out of options, and almost certainly would be claimed. I doubt he'll ever be an asset as an OFer, but there's at least enough of a chance that he'll hit enough to be an asset in the infield that a team looking at the realistic possibility of 100 losses ought to be finding out with more clarity what they have in a guy who was good enough to play SS in the minors for years. We all like Jamie Carroll, but he's not going to be part of the next good Twins team.

Alex
05-16-2012, 09:08 PM

I think his point was simply that it's at least worthwhile to give Plouffe a couple more weeks. I think he used Casilla for comparison as is arguably a worse hitter (Aaron Gleeman mentioned that he is one of the ten worst Twins hitters in history with over 1000AB) and has a much bigger track record to prove it in the bigs yet people don't seem as upset about his being in the lineup. Even though we'd like the Twins to win more games, they're in a position where they can give Plouffe some more time, just in case before they cut ties with him.

Alex
05-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Woah. Dick just used OPS.

denarded
05-16-2012, 09:15 PM
We all like Jamie Carroll, but he's not going to be part of the next good Twins team.

very observant, very true, very sad. We're pining about a 'scrappy' 38yr old utility infielder. I don't want to bring up LNP, but weren't we bitching about the 'same' player 3 years ago?

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Pretty decent job by the already taxed bullpen tonight. No matter what happens in the 9th.

I've been upset by the 13 pitcher thing, but the reality is, the starting pitching has been so f'ing bad there's at least a reasonable discussion to be had that it's understandable.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 09:19 PM
You asked what he had to do to prove he's not a major league player. I provided an answer. Along with an example of a player who I feel HAS proven himself not to be a MLB player, yet is still hanging around and few people complain about.

As for Plouffe being on a major league roster, coming into tonight there were 4 regulars in the AL alone, each with significantly more PAs than Plouffe, with worse offensive numbers. Three of them are significantly older, one the same age. So yes, I believe there are other major league teams who wouldn't have cut bait on Plouffe yet, particularly considering he's out of options, and almost certainly would be claimed. I doubt he'll ever be an asset as an OFer, but there's at least enough of a chance that he'll hit enough to be an asset in the infield that a team looking at the realistic possibility of 100 losses ought to be finding out with more clarity what they have in a guy who was good enough to play SS in the minors for years. We all like Jamie Carroll, but he's not going to be part of the next good Twins team.

That's an interesting point. I just think we would be seeing at least glimpses by now of him being decent, and I haven't seen it yet. My initial post was made out of frustration I guess, and I should probably give him a little more time.

adjacent
05-16-2012, 09:21 PM
I was about to write why on earth Gardy would put Butera instead of leaving Doumit, knowing that he was coming up to bat, and Butera hits a double. What do I know?!

striker_86
05-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Pretty decent job by the already taxed bullpen tonight. No matter what happens in the 9th.

I've been upset by the 13 pitcher thing, but the reality is, the starting pitching has been so f'ing bad there's at least a reasonable discussion to be had that it's understandable.

Its coming in huge today. We have a nice looking bullpen leading up to Capps. Lets hope he can nail down a save!

Top Gun
05-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Plouffe is the no.1 reason why the Twins will lose 100 and get Gardy fired!

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
That's an interesting point. I just think we would be seeing at least glimpses by now of him being decent, and I haven't seen it yet. My initial post was made out of frustration I guess, and I should probably give him a little more time.

Fair enough.

We're all frustrated. I'm frustrated with Plouffe too. Losing sucks. IMO there's at least a small chance Plouffe can help with that somewhere down the road, and cheaply for a while.

jokin
05-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Plouffe is the no.1 reason why the Twins will lose 100 and get Gardy fired!

Just further proof to the old adage- "Timing is Everything"...

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Fair enough.

We're all frustrated. I'm frustrated with Plouffe too. Losing sucks. IMO there's at least a small chance Plouffe can help with that somewhere down the road, and cheaply for a while.

True. And right on cue, he hits a bomb and really makes me look like a horse's a**

jokin
05-16-2012, 09:28 PM

Finally, the first "glimpse", now let's see if he can duplicate that sweet stroke a few more times and grow into a power bat role beyond just teasing the fans with glimpses (just like last year)

Dumahim
05-16-2012, 09:29 PM
I quit watching earlier. Why did Butera hit for Doumit?

deanlambrecht
05-16-2012, 09:30 PM
very observant, very true, very sad. We're pining about a 'scrappy' 38yr old utility infielder. I don't want to bring up LNP, but weren't we bitching about the 'same' player 3 years ago?
Are you out of your mind? Pull up the career stats of Carroll and Punto and do the comparison yourself. I'm not saying Carroll is an all-star or hof level player, but he's been a consistent and solid offensive and defensive player for a long, long time. I also appreciate what Punto brought to the game, as frustrating as he was at the plate. But there's no question that Carroll was, and remains, a much better player than LNP.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 09:31 PM
I quit watching earlier. Why did Butera hit for Doumit?

He was a defensive replacement in the 8th.

USAFChief
05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
True. And right on cue, he hits a bomb and really makes me look like a horse's a**

I think that made him 1 for 5...so nobody looks like a horse's a** based on one PA. He's gotta improve a lot.

Oh, and...Twins win!

For some reason, that was a pretty satisfying win.

Montecore
05-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Dozier and Plouffe HRs, I'll take it.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-16-2012, 09:43 PM
For some reason, that was a pretty satisfying win.

I agree. Blackburn was pretty terrible, but the entire team seemed to come together to pick him up, and that's something we haven't seen much of this season.

ashburyjohn
05-16-2012, 09:45 PM
He was a defensive replacement in the 8th.

A line from the play-by-play we may not see too often:
- T. Plouffe homered to deep left, D. Butera scored

Ultima Ratio
05-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I missed the game but just checked the box: 4 Tiger errors? Wow. They couldn't out hit their horrible defense tonight. Let's get 'em tomorrow too!

striker_86
05-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Good job bullpen! And Plouffe homered!

gil4
05-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Plouffe is the no.1 reason why the Twins will lose 100 and get Gardy fired!He might crack the top 5, but no guarantees

minn55441
05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
So does Plouffe's HR grant him a stay of execution? After he struck out with the bases loaded and only one out, I was ready to release him before he got back to the dugout.

I have always liked Plouffe and thought he would eventually come around, but I have given up on him, even with the latest HR.

Top Gun
05-16-2012, 10:53 PM
A big win for the Twins, a statement game! It now get tougher with Plouffe & Butera both in the lineup, run Twins run.