PDA

View Full Version : Article: Random Thoughts On A Random Loss

John Bonnes
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?545-Random-Thoughts-On-A-Random-Loss

jeffk
05-15-2012, 12:23 AM
Speaking of Doumit, who else has noticed that ridiculously bad-ass mustache he's been rocking?

Shane Wahl
05-15-2012, 01:04 AM
Yeah, though the trade Span crowd will surely descend on Doumit soon enough.

I personally like the idea of Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann in 2013 and 2014 instead of involving Butera in 1/4 of the games.

twinswon1991
05-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Honestly what contender would have any interest in Pavano even when he is at his peak? Most contenders have AAA or long relievers with more skills than Carl who cost a lot less. Carl is not a guy you want to see the mound in the post season so why trade for him.

I bet Terry Ryan wishes he hadnt given up that sandwich pick by resigning Capps as there is no way he gets anything more than a bag of balls or PTBNL in a trade.

I encourage you to listen to the latest BA podcast. The Twins FO and scouting dept is a laughingstock. But they are such nice guys they wont be fired.

Boom Boom
05-15-2012, 08:16 AM
"(Doumit's) defense at catcher is better than we had heard." You're absolutely wrong here, John. Doumit's defense at catcher has been terrible.

mike wants wins
05-15-2012, 08:44 AM
It's mind boggling to send Pavano out there if he's not 100%. His only value, minimal as it is, to this team is as trade bait. But really, this is an organization that hasn't been able to figure out how the DL process works for 2+ years, so this isn't really a surprise to me. I continue to be underwhelmed at their understanding of basic organizational strategy.

Mr. Ed
05-15-2012, 08:48 AM
It's mind boggling to send Pavano out there if he's not 100%. His only value, minimal as it is, to this team is as trade bait. But really, this is an organization that hasn't been able to figure out how the DL process works for 2+ years, so this isn't really a surprise to me. I continue to be underwhelmed at their understanding of basic organizational strategy.

Do they even have a strategy, Mike? I sure can't tell what it is right now.

Only thing I can tell is the direction. Down. And staying down.

Lead the majors in ground ball %.

Hint: This is not the Metrodome. Slappy singles hitters don't get the turf hit any more. Yet the roster has multiple slappy hitters. Unreal.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-15-2012, 08:53 AM
I don't see where you are getting the idea that Doumit's defense is "better than we heard" either John. His Rdrs/yr and fielding % are slightly higher, but not enough to claim we have gotten different defensive play entirely. He is still below average behind the plate and that was totally expected of him anyway.

jimbo92107
05-15-2012, 09:44 AM
On Capps: He has improved his pitches quite a bit, but last night he reverted to his old bad habits. His stuff was coming in mostly flat, so hitters were starting to find it and pound it. Even so, Capps has done two things to improve his pitches. He has learned to move it around in the zone, and he has added movement, including a decent splitter. Unfortunately, last night he looked tense, so he wasn't getting his pitches to swerve and dip. He also was a little off balance with his footwork, which produces erratic location. Joe Nathan almost always plants his stride foot in exactly the same place, and finishes on balance. That's what gives him pinpoint control. Why all pitchers don't do that is mysterious to me.

Ryan Doumit isn't Mike Redmond. Twins got really lucky with Red Dog, and it probably won't happen again. However, Doumit does occasionally belt one into the seats. In fact, we may see more offense out of Doumit now that his body isn't taking the punishment from catching every day. That was the idea going in, and it looks to be happening.

Liriano looks terrible. His delivery is so inconsistent, it's hard to imagine him regaining control for a whole game. He really, really needs to simplify his recipe. He needs to stand tall, start on balance and finish on balance. A good delivery should be reversible: You should be able to balance on the stride foot, then rock back to your drive foot and raise your knee just like before you let go of the ball. How many pitchers could do that? Maddox, Koufax, Seaver, Verlander, Lincecum, Nathan, Rivera... It would be hilarious to see Liriano try it.

Blake
05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Just how bad was the word on Doumit's defense, John, if you think Doumit is better than advertised? Even I know a catcher is supposed to move laterally behind the plate, not just move the glove.

jeffk
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Seems to me we're getting exactly what we expected from Doumit, and I think it was a decent deal.

Montecore
05-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Capps is wretched. That re-signing exemplifies the the abysmal incompetence of the entire organization. A rotation of Garza, Lohse, Santana, and Dickey would be a 1000% improvement on what they've got now. At least Doumit can hit.

Thrylos
05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
I think that Doumit has been a good replacement for Kubel at a fraction of the price. His defense is Kubel-like, but where Doumit really added value in this team was to keep Bu-terror in the minors. Now that the Manager of the Millennium has nixed that and starts Buterror in 40% of the games, Doumit's value lessens. I still think that he brings a lot to the table and could be a good deadline trading chip.

Starting pitching, especially the "veterans" Pavano and Marquis have been horrid. Marquis' acquisition is shaping to be worse than that of Livan, Ponson, Ramon Ortiz, if you factor in the money. At this point, the Twins are better hanging the "For Sale" sign early, get a bunch of young pitchers in return and see what they can do in the majors in preparation for next year. As far as Marquis goes, he would make a good starter in Rochester, and that might apease the natives who have been screaming that the Twins have gutted their team.

I am just thankful that Ryan still has the "interim" tag and that Gardy and his cohorts' contracts are expiring in 2013.

jokin
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Capps is wretched. That re-signing exemplifies the the abysmal incompetence of the entire organization. A rotation of Garza, Lohse, Santana, and Dickey would be a 1000% improvement on what they've got now. At least Doumit can hit.

You should be looking for any positive you can find for Capps. The organization has to already be sending out feelers around both leagues based on his 7/7 save conversion rate and new-found magic out pitch. If the Twins play it right they will find their very own, just-desperate-enough, GM like Billy Smith and land themselves a prospect before July 31.