PDA

View Full Version : Article: Concerns with Pavano's velocity continue to mount

Cody Christie
05-14-2012, 08:36 AM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?543-Concerns-with-Pavano-s-velocity-continue-to-mount

benhertz
05-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Maybe the Twins should put Pavano on the 15-day disabled list to rest his shoulder. The Giants recently DFA LHP Travis Blackley. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=blackl001tra) The Twins could claim him and have him (or Anthony Swarzak if he's next in line) start 2-3 games while Pavs is on the DL. If he's pitches poorly, they can always DFA him, like they did with Matt Maloney, Sean Burroughs, and Clete Thomas.

USAFChief
05-14-2012, 10:06 PM
$16.5M for two yrs of Pavano was always a mistake.

jorgenswest
05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Easy to look back and say it was a mistake. However, the Twins were coming off a good season and expecting another. His performance last year was not the problem and a reasonable value. His 2.9 WAR (fangraphs) was probably worth more than the first year of the contract. This year appears to be a certain loss. If a mistake, this one probably isn't close to the top of the list.

Travis Blackley is already 29. For that reason, I hope the Twins look elsewhere for help.

USAFChief
05-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Easy to look back and say it was a mistake.

I said so at the time. Believed it then, believe it now.

jorgenswest
05-14-2012, 11:45 PM
I am not a Pavano fan. I probably said the same thing as I unwisely would have given the starts to Slowey last year. However, I can not look at the data last year and support the premise that it was a bad contract. It wasn't. Finding a 3 WAR pitcher is not easy or inexpensive.

benhertz
05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Any updates on Pavano's shoulder? The only info I could find was from Yahoo Sports saying his next scheduled start is Friday in Cleveland.

And no, I'm not bumping this thread because Travis Blackley gave up 1 ER in 5 innings against the Twins. I want to wear my Pavstache t-shirt with pride.