PDA

View Full Version : Article: Get to Know 'Em: Kevin Gausman

Jeremy Nygaard
05-14-2012, 06:40 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?542-Get-to-Know-Em-Kevin-Gausman

Twins Fan From Afar
05-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Nice stuff! Way to go on these interviews!

gunnarthor
05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Nice. Right now, I'm hoping the Twins get Gausman.

jtrinaldi
05-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Nice. Right now, I'm hoping the Twins get Gausman.
He is the 3rd best player in the draft, 2nd Best college Arm. Itll be interesting if Appel goes 1 because the Twins would be able to take a pure hitter, but at the same time they have no ACE in the staff and Gausman May have ace Potential.
1.Buxton
2.Appel
3.Gausman

twinsfanstreif
05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
He is the 3rd best player in the draft, 2nd Best college Arm. Itll be interesting if Appel goes 1 because the Twins would be able to take a pure hitter, but at the same time they have no ACE in the staff and Gausman May have ace Potential.
1.Buxton
2.Appel
3.Gausman

I would argue that Gausman is better than Appel, I actually think Appel is the 4th best college arm behind Gausman, Zimmer, and Stroman. Appel is a pitch to contact guy and guys like that just don't have ace potential

twinsfanstreif
05-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Also buxton is not a pure hitter, it is actually the weakest of all his tools.

mike wants wins
05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I think it is great that he'd take the time out to do this interview. Super nice thing to do. No idea why we'd discuss if they should take him or not, in a thread he's likely to read.....

Seth Stohs
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
I think it is great that he'd take the time out to do this interview. Super nice thing to do. No idea why we'd discuss if they should take him or not, in a thread he's likely to read.....

We're funny like that... especially since we're all draft experts, right? :)

jtrinaldi
05-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I would argue that Gausman is better than Appel, I actually think Appel is the 4th best college arm behind Gausman, Zimmer, and Stroman. Appel is a pitch to contact guy and guys like that just don't have ace potential
This has to be one of the Dumbest things I have ever herd. Stroman projects to be a bullpen guy in the majors so that Eliminates him. Zimmer has decent numbers but this is the 1st time ever that he has been on the mound, and at the #2 pick would be too risky because he hasnt done it up until this year.
Consistency is a huge thing when you are going to pick #1 or #2, last year Appel's ERA was 3.02 Gausman's a 3.52

As for your thoughts on Gausman this year stats....
Batters are hitting .235 against Gausman, .223 against Appel.
Appel has pitched 94 innings, allowing 28 Earned Runs
Gausman has pitched 91 and 2/3 innings allowing 30 Earned Runs.
Appel ERA:2.68
Gausman ERA:2.95

Jeremy Nygaard
05-14-2012, 03:08 PM
As for your thoughts on Gausman this year stats....
Batters are hitting .235 against Gausman, .223 against Appel.
Appel has pitched 94 innings, allowing 28 Earned Runs
Gausman has pitched 91 and 2/3 innings allowing 30 Earned Runs.
Appel ERA:2.68
Gausman ERA:2.95

Don't forget that Appel has one more year of college baseball experience. Gausman also plays in the toughest conference in America.

I'll stand by what I said last week and still believe: The Twins have Buxton and Gausman as their top two guys, though I'm not certain what order they are in.

I think it is great that he'd take the time out to do this interview. Super nice thing to do.

Stand-up guy. Obviously my dealings with him have been minimal, but, in my opinion, little things like this go a long way in the "classy" category. Not taking anything away from any other potential draftee, but the Twins woud be fortunate to not only add his ability to the organization, but also his character.

twinsfanstreif
05-14-2012, 03:37 PM
The only reason Stroman is "projected" as a bullpen guy is because of his size. He has the absolute most dominating stats and his stuff is great, don't go by hearsay. Lincecum had the same "projections". As far as the Appel vs Gausman goes it's hard to say one is drastically better because of a few minor BAA points and 2 runs. You have to take in account the competition they are facing and Gausman's missed more bats, 112 compared to 95 with the same #of BBs. There's no way by those stats that you could difinitively say that Appel is better. Like I said, I think he'll be decent, just not an ace. Zimmer does pose more risk but he has a higher upside with room to grow.I just don't see Appel getting much better than he is at now because he really hasn't gotten much better between this year and last, that's just my opinion, he may prove me wrong, nothing wrong with that.