PDA

View Full Version : Article: What Happened to Chris Parmelee?

Parker Hageman
05-09-2012, 12:21 AM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?527-What-Happened-to-Chris-Parmelee

glunn
05-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Great article. I am hoping that he gets sent down so he can work on his mechanics at Rochester. Parmelee seems like a great kid, but lost at the plate. Also, it would be nice if he could work on his defense, especially as to ground balls hit to his right.

gil4
05-09-2012, 07:19 AM
.355/.443/.592 in a small sample size led to some unrealistic expectations. .205/.266/.301 in an equally small sample has caused some angst that might be more justified. The track record prior to these samples indicated a player who would struggle to hit enough to play 1B. While his current stats are well below what he should be able to do, a trip to Rochester might help him regroup.

roger
05-09-2012, 07:52 AM
The answer is simple, he misses Joe Benson. Other than a few days a couple years ago, they have been together since drafted 1-2 in 2006. Looking at their starts this year, splitting them up may be the cause!

Thrylos
05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Playing in September is different than playing in April. There are a lot of September miracles out there that end up mirages. Remember Shane Spencer? (Not that I am saying that Parmelee is one of them. Plenty of time for him yet.) The rosters are expanding in September so you end up facing Ps who have no business being there, it is colder in April and the ball is heavier in April. Just give him time. He is young. He might need some AAA time but he will be ok.

CDog
05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Playing in September is different than playing in April. There are a lot of September miracles out there that end up mirages. Remember Shane Spencer? (Not that I am saying that Parmelee is one of them. Plenty of time for him yet.) The rosters are expanding in September so you end up facing Ps who have no business being there, it is colder in April and the ball is heavier in April. Just give him time. He is young. He might need some AAA time but he will be ok.

Agree with all of that and would add the small sample and extremely high BABIP to the mix of things that might have added to the appearance of being farther along than he is. Through spring training as Morneau started piling up consecutive starts at DH, I kept hoping to see him at 1B every day and was disappointed each time it didn't happen. Partly because it seemed to be a warning sign for his health (which eventually was addressed when they explained the reasons), but also because I could see the writing on the wall that Plan B was having Parmelee skip AAA. I've said it a lot of other places here, but the domino effect of Morneau's move to DH (and subsequently DL) has caused a lot more damage than it would seem like it should at first glance. The looking-ahead-question for me is: If Parmelee is indeed sent down to AAA, who becomes the everyday first baseman? I don't think I like any of the answers to that question, either, any better than I like the one they're already using. Ugh.

cr9617
05-09-2012, 09:24 AM
We shouldn't be surprised by his struggles. His minor league track record was never anything to be excited about. Unfortunately, he's just an ordinary middle of the road prospect who probably won't hit well enough to play first base in the Majors.
I hope I'm wrong...

MileHighTwinsFan
05-09-2012, 09:47 AM
I just hope he is not the second coming of David McCarty or Scott Stahoviak. We need a young guy, with power in the lineup. I am guessing the pressure of a new season and higher expectations is weighing on him a bit. Hopefully with some expanded playing time while Morneau is shelved will help.

clutterheart
05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Willingham can play 1b.

twinsfan214
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
I really appreciate all the info in this article. Very informative. How about Mauer as your regular at 1st, and Doumit at C? Keep Butera as backup C. DH? Um, I'll get back to you.

Maybe Parm could benefit from some time at AAA. Sounds like we should be optimistic he will improve. I'm worried about Valencia. I'd like to read an analysis of what's going wrong for him at the plate also.

mike wants wins
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I am always baffled that Smalley or Parker notice these things, yet they go on and on.....I had pretty low expectations for Parmalee, but this is worse than I expected. I thought he'd be just below average (other than HR, which I expected well below average) compared to other 1B/DH.....It's way too early to give up on him....

CDog
05-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I am always baffled that Smalley or Parker notice these things....

I really liked having Smalley in the booth for a few days there. He's obviously spent a lot of time devoted to hitting a pitched baseball and the mindset and physical act of it. Was really good to get some of that insight, I thought.

CDog
05-09-2012, 01:46 PM
How about Mauer as your regular at 1st, and Doumit at C? Keep Butera as backup C.

Seems like they've taken a half or quarter step that way. But it feels like a "have to" move much more than anything you'd actually like to have happen. I know I certainly don't think it's a great full-time or long-term move, but might be what has to happen. Ugh again.

shs_59
05-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I was one, even with Morneau's uncertainties, that WANTED Parmelee in AAA. The fact he hasn't played 1 game there, is going to catch up with him, i thought, he's tainted now, in all honesty.

Unfortunately, Since April 1st Parmelee has looked just off mechanically, i agree with Parker he's not even the same hitter right now anyway, the fact the Twins leave him in the bigs, after doing all these moves in recent days, is a little baffling. Maybe they entrust Vavra's "magical powers" to bring him out of it.

But i don't see it.

Parmelee will bat .230-.245 this year with single digit Homers if he's in the bigs all year.

Time to send him to AAA, as SOON as Morneau is back off DL.

RIGHT?

Bark's Lounge
05-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I was one, even with Morneau's uncertainties, that WANTED Parmelee in AAA. The fact he hasn't played 1 game there, is going to catch up with him, i thought, he's tainted now, in all honesty.

Unfortunately, Since April 1st Parmelee has looked just off mechanically, i agree with Parker he's not even the same hitter right now anyway, the fact the Twins leave him in the bigs, after doing all these moves in recent days, is a little baffling. Maybe they entrust Vavra's "magical powers" to bring him out of it.

But i don't see it.

Parmelee will bat .230-.245 this year with single digit Homers if he's in the bigs all year.

RIGHT?

I on the other hand, was one of the people who backed up the Twins in their decision to bring up Parmelee and I predicted that Parm would have some votes as AL ROY. I am of opinion that Morneau will not stay healthy unless he is a full time DH, and even then, that is a stretch. I am a Pro-Stereotype person when it comes to having power potential from your Corner Infielder's and that makes Mauer a Non Fit, especially with DV at 3B. I view Doumit as a 300-400PA type player, not an everyday starter - which lead me to believe that Parmelee was a good fit. The Twins screwed up by not playing him regularly to start the season. I could not make a guess if that is the reason he is struggling, but what the hell, everyone has essentially been struggling at the plate the last 2 weeks. Will they send Parm down? Probably sooner than later if he keeps hitting the way he is. I still think he can have a very good year knocking the ball around the yard. He won't hit 20 jacks, but who will except for Willingham? I do not want to hear the terms "more development", "more seasoning". "more blah, blah, blah"! Parmelee is 24 years old, old enough to figure it out. Old enough to be trusted to break out of a slump at the MLB Level. Enough of the paranoid coddling of young to semi young players. Also, Benson's demotion to AA is a mistake.

NorthwestTwinsFan
05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
I really liked having Smalley in the booth for a few days there. He's obviously spent a lot of time devoted to hitting a pitched baseball and the mindset and physical act of it. Was really good to get some of that insight, I thought.

I think he meant that he's baffled by the fact that Smalley and Parker are noticing things that people within the organization (Joe Vavra) are apparently missing.

Jack Torse
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
He never even put up above average numbers in the minors and skipped triple A. This one's pretty simple. To my eye he projects slightly below replacement level at either 1st or RF.

mike wants wins
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't know if Vavra is missing things, or cannot get them to change, those are two very different things

twinswon1991
05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
He never even put up above average numbers in the minors and skipped triple A. This one's pretty simple. To my eye he projects slightly below replacement level at either 1st or RF.

Correct. Bottom line is Chris is just not that talented. His ceiling is a below average power BACKUP corner infielder. Very little value so really nothing lost by brining him up "early" since he won't be part of this team's future.

jimbo92107
05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Sounds simple. Parmelee needs to learn how to hammer pitches on the outside part of the plate. If he can do that, then it stops being his weakness, and pitchers will need to find some other way to get him out.

Alex
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Correct. Bottom line is Chris is just not that talented. His ceiling is a below average power BACKUP corner infielder. Very little value so really nothing lost by brining him up "early" since he won't be part of this team's future.

I agree in general. I'd like to see him gain more at-bats and confidence at AAA so that potential is maximized rather than having him slumping in the majors and then sitting on the bench.

mlhouse
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM

But i don't see it.

RIGHT?

Totally disagree. The Twins organization and Twins fans need to realize that sending a player down to AAA or prolonged minor league progress is not the only way to develop a player. Players can and at times should, develop at the major leagues.

The problem with the Twins is that right now they do not have that type of organization. They need to FINALLY accept that this is a rebuilding team. I have said it from the beginning of the season: this team is not good enough to even come close to competing and they need to start the rebuilding process NOW. Adding a Jamey Carroll is not the solution to this team's woes, and we have seen the downside of that. That is, instead of letting Brian Dozier start the season from the beginning and even hitting .220, instead we had a 38 year old player signed to a $3.5 million 2 year deal hitting under .220. We should have had Joe Benson, Ben Revere, Chris Parmalee, and several other players playing everyday in the major league lineup. We also need to have a coaching staff designed to develop these players at the major league level. Our current major league coaching staff is too impatient and expects all of the players to be ready to win the division crown again. They simply are not adequate to rebuild this team.

In fact, and I have already said it it in this forum as perhaps the first to make the statement, the Twins really need to consider promoting our lower level phenoms like Sano and Rosario up to the majors. So what if they strike out 150 times. The experience will make them that much better, and in the long run the team gains value from the at bats, rather than waste them on the likes of Clete Thomas.

The claim that this will "taint" a prospect is just pure BS. Frank Viola was in the major leagues with just 8 AAA games of experience. His rookie year ERA was 5.21 followed by an ERA of 5.49 in his first full season with the Twins. Yet, the Twins sent him out there for 210 innings and eventually he worked out ok.

The time is now. If these prospects are worth anything, they should be in the major leagues. If they are not with a major league team that is on pace to lose 100+ games, they are not prospects. All of the TwinsCentric writers "top 40" prospect lists are invalid if they think that each of them should move up the minors one rung at a time with the major league team at the level it is. "Rushing" worked with Greg Gagne, Kent Hrbek, Frank Viola, Gary Gaetti, Tom Brunansky, Randy Bush, and Kirby Pucket. The proof is in the World Series championships.