Ryan Doumit C
Danny Valencia 3B
Trevor Plouffe RF
Drew Butera C
Jamey Carroll 2B

SP: Diamond

Twins Fan From Afar
05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
Month 2 of the season, and 5 of the 10 players starting tonight were not opening day starters.
Just an observation.

TwinVike61
05-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Interesting lineup...with two catchers and all.

TwinsGuy55422
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Very interesting lineup. Denard was due for a day off. Should be fun to see how Komatsu does in the lead off spot.

Shane Wahl
05-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Is Butera seriously playing? Good god. They didn't even wait for Pavano to pitch again before getting this non-player into the lineup. THIS is why many people did not like the idea of calling him back up. This is precisely what happens with Gardenhire. Casilla and Willingham are so out of commission that they can't even DH? AND . . . is Casilla a few days from now headed to the DL? At the very least, Maloney should have been DFAed and Chang or Carson or Bates should have been promoted when Morneau (finally) went to the DL. That player could have been easily sent back down when Morneau was "healthy" enough to play again.

Shane Wahl
05-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Is Butera seriously playing? Good god. They didn't even wait for Pavano to pitch again before getting this non-player into the lineup. THIS is why many people did not like the idea of calling him back up. This is precisely what happens with Gardenhire. Casilla and Willingham are so out of commission that they can't even DH? AND . . . is Casilla a few days from now headed to the DL? At the very least, Maloney should have been DFAed and Chang or Carson or Bates should have been promoted when Morneau (finally) went to the DL. That player could have been easily sent back down when Morneau was "healthy" enough to play again.

Strike that . . . Parmelee, not Willingam. So . . . the actual prospect sits while DREW BUTERA plays . . .

TwinsGuy55422
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to have Butera cathc or be in the lineup unless absolutely necessary. They could have had Doumit catch and Parmelee DH.

Boom Boom
05-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Parmelee's on the bench as punishment for not catching that throw to first from Perkins. A throw which looked an awful lot like a balk to me.

Shane Wahl
05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Parmelee's on the bench as punishment for not catching that throw to first from Perkins. A throw which looked an awful lot like a balk to me.

I have to doubt that . . . right? I mean Perkins fooled both the runner and Parmelee with either a great move or a balk . . .

Boom Boom
05-08-2012, 04:15 PM
I have to doubt that . . . right? I mean Perkins fooled both the runner and Parmelee with either a great move or a balk . . .

Obviously Parmelee should have caught that ball, it was right there. But that's the reason that a balk is against the rules, so that a pitcher can't deke the runner by stepping towards home while throwing to first. And Perkins stepped a little too far towards home.

Top Gun
05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
3 catchers in the lineup, better callup a backup!

Shane Wahl
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Obviously Parmelee should have caught that ball, it was right there. But that's the reason that a balk is against the rules, so that a pitcher can't deke the runner by stepping towards home while throwing to first. And Perkins stepped a little too far towards home.

But he can't be sitting for that reason. That's crazy.

stringer bell
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Well, Butera caught Diamond at Rochester, so there's that. We know he'll be catching tomorrow, too. Also, I thought Parmelee could play in right field--with Butera catching, today would have been a good day to do that. This team is simply not hitting--they are now last in the league in runs scored, 11th in OBP, 13th in sluggings and OPS.

Plouffe's numbers are interesting for one reason--he has drawn an inordinate number of walks. His OBP is higher than Casilla's, Doumit's and Valencia's. Obviously with only four hits, he can't have much of a slugging percentage.

John Bonnes
05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I suppose Butera could be in the lineup because he had success with Diamond in Rochester. Try to make him feel comfortable. I'm not saying it's a great reason.

I will also point out that this is Butera has been with the team for a almost a week and he's had all of 2 AB. It might be a little alarmist to suggest he's swallowing up a ton of AB.

But yes, I'd rather see Parmelee.

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Debatable. I highly doubt he's on the bench for missing a throw. If that was the case Komatsu should be there for dropping that fly ball, it was far worse.

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Let's go Diamond! Let's have a Canadian get this done!

CDog
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Well, Butera caught Diamond at Rochester, so there's that. We know he'll be catching tomorrow, too.

Who is "we?" I don't know that, and I'd even make a pretty good-sized wager that he doesn't if that were legal.

glunn
05-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Let's go Diamond! Let's have a Canadian get this done!

Amen! We need something resembling a ray of hope.

StormJH1
05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
What is it with acquiring these 4th or 5th outfielders and then Gardy playing with his new "toys" day after day in the lineup? At least in the case of Komatsu, he's 24 years old and hasn't had an extensive look in the majors yet. But Clete Thomas was two wasted weeks, and here we go again. It's like they said on Gleeman and the Geek: if they were going to acquire a new outfielder to give all these at-bats, they might as well have given them to Plouffe or Parmelee, or even Revere.

glunn
05-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey, we are winning by 3 runs. This is a HAPPY moment.

CDog
05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Dooooooooooms!

glunn
05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Now let's get some more runs. It would be nice to build a double digit lead tonight, just in case we implode later.

Neinstein
05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
3 catchers in the lineup, better callup a backup!

HaHa! nice...

30whales
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I want ben revere!

glunn
05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Is no one here happy that we finally have a lead early in a game?

30whales
05-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Is no one here happy that we finally have a lead early in a game?

I am! But I still want Ben Revere!

glunn
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
OK, I want him too. And I want him in CF and Span in RF. But right now I am delighting in having a (rare) early game lead.

CDog
05-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Who did Vernon Wells think was up to bat there? That was kinda weird. Especially if Bremer was right that he was playing in the gap. Infielders playing to pull, outfielders playing the other way has been the norm against Mauer for a long time, no?

30whales
05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Wow Danny........ lets call up Sano! I kid I kid

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 08:08 PM
Valencia is a joke, what an undisciplined prick

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 08:10 PM
If that comes back to cost them they really have to evaluate him a whole lot harder, to have an at bat like that with the way Haren is pitching is just ridiculous.

glunn
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
On a more positive note, Diamond seems to be getting out of all jams with no runs scored. Go Diamond!

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Ok I'm hallucinating, the Twins are up 3 and Drew Butera just got a hit.

glunn
05-08-2012, 08:27 PM
This is THRILLING!

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Dear Danny Valencia, that is how you hit a baseball.

twinzgrl
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
FIVE RUNS!! Woo-hoo!!

glunn
05-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't remember the last time that our starter outlasted the other team's starter, but it's a good feeling. Now let's bat around!

adjacent
05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't remember the last time that our starter outlasted the other team's starter, but it's a good feeling. Now let's bat around!
Same thing I was thinking. It is being a long time since the Twins are pitching and I am enjoying instead of suffering

glunn
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Same thing I was thinking. It is being a long time since the Twins are pitching and I am enjoying instead of suffering

I feel like Tom Hanks when he was rescued in the movie Cast Away.

glunn
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
TWO hits for Plouffe -- the miracles just keep coming tonight.

Alex
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
I know a lot of people have been down on Plouffe due to his low average, but I've liked his approach at the plate this season and think he will do better, especially if he gets more opportunities.

I feel pretty much the opposite about Valencia. He had an excellent 2010, but even his other minor league numbers lack promise and his PA look terrible most of the time.

ShaeTwins
05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Speaking of Valencia, I've had about enough of him. Can we send him down to AAA and just have Carroll play 3B every day to keep Casilla's bat in the lineup?

brianpope
05-08-2012, 09:05 PM
I know a lot of people have been down on Plouffe due to his low average, but I've liked his approach at the plate this season and think he will do better, especially if he gets more opportunities.

I feel pretty much the opposite about Valencia. He had an excellent 2010, but even his other minor league numbers lack promise and his PA look terrible most of the time.

I agree with the analysis of Valencia. His minor league numbers were never anything special. I was never as "excited" as some fans with his arrival to the big club, especially being 26 when he made his debut. Knowing this organization they will keep him their until their hand is forced. On a side note, is it just me or is Dozier making everything look easy at short?

Boom Boom
05-08-2012, 09:24 PM
The rap on Dozier has been that his defense might not stick at short. Through two games he looks pretty good there.

Scott Diamond = Twins MVP.

stringer bell
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Valencia isn't an All-Star and the .300 average in 2010 was a fluke. He has double digit HR power and enough defensive tools to be average or better at third base. He's in a terrible funk right now, but he should be able to hit .250-.280 and drive in a fair amount of runs. I don't think there's any reason to bench him but if he can't get it going the Twins will have to fill a hole at third base.

Dozier is doing just fine at short defensively and has a few knocks already. So far, so good.

USAFChief
05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Winning feels much better than losing. They should do it more often.

stringer bell
05-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Any opinions about Diamond? I thought he threw a little harder than I remembered from last year, and his breaking ball was a little sharper than I remembered. He had really good command, which he'll need to thrive in the big leagues.

glunn
05-08-2012, 10:18 PM
Any opinions about Diamond? I thought he threw a little harder than I remembered from last year, and his breaking ball was a little sharper than I remembered. He had really good command, which he'll need to thrive in the big leagues.

He looked good to me. But some of the Angels' broadcast crew are carping that the Angels did not do well because they were seeing him for the first time.

Montecore
05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Thank you, Scott Diamond.

Alex
05-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Valencia isn't an All-Star and the .300 average in 2010 was a fluke. He has double digit HR power and enough defensive tools to be average or better at third base. He's in a terrible funk right now, but he should be able to hit .250-.280 and drive in a fair amount of runs. I don't think there's any reason to bench him but if he can't get it going the Twins will have to fill a hole at third base.

I understand the point about another hole to fill, but as for his expected performance, I don't see the evidence. In the high minors he hit .280 in general and .290 in 2010. He hit low double digits in HR in almost every level of the minors. However, his combined AAA OPS was .743, and in general, his plate discipline has not been all that good at any level. In essence, I think that what we saw from Valencia last year is probably what could be expected in terms of career, a high .600s OPS hitter.

I'd like to see Plouffe get some chances at 3B or would have liked to Burroughs get more opportunities there, at least until he "proved" he couldn't hit either. To be clear, I'm not saying that we have great options to replace him, but at this point, anything is worth trying.

Bark's Lounge
05-08-2012, 10:54 PM
A Proud evening for Canadiens/Canadians. A tear drops Red Green's eye. Celine Dion sings at the top of her lungs in praise. Terrance and Phillip Fart.

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Beauty pitching eh?

Bark's Lounge
05-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Beauty pitching eh?

Eh! (Sorry, 3 characters is short of the wordage requirement)

TwinsGuy55422
05-09-2012, 12:35 AM
I was impressed with Dozier tonight. He reached base 3 times and made several nice plays at shortstop. He seems to have reasonably good range and made accurate throws to first.

stringer bell
05-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Who is "we?" I don't know that, and I'd even make a pretty good-sized wager that he doesn't if that were legal.Yes, Butera is catching again tonight. Virtual dollars or euros are fine as payment.

CDog
05-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Yes, Butera is catching again tonight. Virtual dollars or euros are fine as payment.

I've been waiting for the Game 30 thread to go up so I could ask where to pay my if-that-were-legal wager!