PDA

View Full Version : Parmalee needs to be sent back to Rochester

glunn
05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Parmelee is totally stinking at the plate, and his fielding is pathetic. Bring up Mastroianni to play first base. Even if his defense stinks there (because he in not used to playing first base), it seems unlikely that he could do worse than Parmalee. And Parmalee seems lost at the plate. I like Parmelee and hope that he can get it together. But at the moment he needs more time at AAA.

twinsnorth49
05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Parmalee is totally stinking at the plate, and his fielding is pathetic.

Bring up Mastroianni to play first base. Even if his defense stinks there (because he in not used to playing first base), it seems unlikely that he could do worse than Parmalee. And Parmalee seems lost at the plate.

I like Parmalee and hope that he can get it together. But at the moment he needs more time at AAA.

I don't totally disagree that AAA might be in his best interests but he did have a hit tonight and overall has been solid at 1st base, he missed a sign tonight, unfortunate.

greengoblinrulz
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
If we are gonna call up Mastroianni to play 1B.....why not put Ben Revere over there. Think of the range he would have with that speed.:rolleyes:

glunn
05-07-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't totally disagree that AAA might be in his best interests but he did have a hit tonight and overall has been solid at 1st base, he missed a sign tonight, unfortunate.

I am not basing this solely on tonight. There have been a number of grounders hit to his right that I am used to seeing caught, but his reaction time seems poor -- he does not seem to start moving his feet until it's too late, then he dives in vain. I really like this kid, but think that he needs to work on his defense.

glunn
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
If we are gonna call up Mastroianni to play 1B.....why not put Ben Revere over there. Think of the range he would have with that speed.:rolleyes:

At this point, I would not complain if they put TC Bear at first -- just get Parmalee back to Rochester where he can work on his game.

twinsnorth49
05-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I am not basing this solely on tonight. There have been a number of grounders hit to his right that I am used to seeing caught, but his reaction time seems poor -- he does not seem to start moving his feet until it's too late, then he dives in vain. I really like this kid, but think that he needs to work on his defense.

I can tell you like him and you're not dumping on him but I've seen just about every game he's played at first and I have to disagree, he's made the plays. His defense has not caused the team any issues.

Seth Stohs
05-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm in favor of Parmelee going back to Rochester... Mastroianni at 1B makes no sense. Parmelee has been alright defensively, I think. He's never going to be Mientkiewicz and Twins fans need to know that. He is part of the future, so doing whta is best for him should be all that matters.

glunn
05-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I can tell you like him and you're not dumping on him but I've seen just about every game he's played at first and I have to disagree, he's made the plays. His defense has not caused the team any issues.

I do like him.

What about the bunt play tonight -- shouldn't he have made that play?

I am probably biased because I see so many games from the perspective of the opposing team -- living in California I have to take what I can get. When the Angels (or whatever team's enemy broadcast I am watching) get a hit, they play it over and over again in slow motion, and it often looks like Paramalee does not start moving his feet until the ball has traveled pretty far.

Rosterman
05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Until Justin makes it a four-man rotation, keep playing Parmelee as he is the future (Bates, Rizzoti, etc. aren't). He needs a look. But, please bring up Revere and let him play everday until Justin returns. Let's get something going on the basepaths. Sadly, playing the Rule 5 guy is a slap in the face of a Twins #1 draft pick.

twinsnorth49
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I do like him.

What about the bunt play tonight -- shouldn't he have made that play?

I am probably biased because I see so many games from the perspective of the opposing team -- living in California I have to take what I can get. When the Angels (or whatever team's enemy broadcast I am watching) get a hit, they play it over and over again in slow motion, and it often looks like Paramalee does not start moving his feet until the ball has traveled pretty far.

The runner beat it out, I'm pretty sure it was Bourjos, that bugger is fast, no error on the play, it was 50/50 in my estimation. No he's not The Flash down the line but I've seen him come up with a couple of nice plays diving to his left and he makes the routine ones. For the record I have been advocating Parmelee to be sent down for weeks, I think you're right but not because of his defense, it's been more than adequate.

Seth Stohs
05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
ParmElee

Hendriks

twinsnorth49
05-07-2012, 11:41 PM
ParmElee

Hendriks

Plouffe??? Who are three guys who should be sent down?? Do I win a prize?

Riverbrian
05-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Plouffe??? Who are three guys who should be sent down?? Do I win a prize?

Alex Trebek was also Canadien I believe.

twinsnorth49
05-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Alex Trebek was also Canadien I believe.

Yes he "is", present tense please, the man is still alive and very much Canadian...................much like Scott Diamond.......GO DIAMOND!!!!!!!
Go easy on him.

Gernzy
05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Once Morneau is able to play first again they should send Parmelee down. Until then we do need him.

cr9617
05-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm in favor of Parmelee going back to Rochester... Mastroianni at 1B makes no sense. Parmelee has been alright defensively, I think. He's never going to be Mientkiewicz and Twins fans need to know that. He is part of the future, so doing whta is best for him should be all that matters.

If Parmalee is our 1B of the future..that's not a comforting thought.

Shane Wahl
05-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Matt Carson and Darin Mastroianni can both play all three OF positions, so maybe Plouffe better diversify further and play some first base. That also helps Parmelee get the hell out of over-his-head land.

Shane Wahl
05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
If Parmalee is our 1B of the future..that's not a comforting thought.

By 2014/2015 it will probably be Sano. Parmelee might end up being a 1B/RF part-timer, LH pinch-hitter. Let's hope that is the case.

benhertz
05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Let's all add "Parmelee" to our spell-check dictionaries. This way we'll only see the squiggly red line under the "Parmalee" spelling, and we'll correct ourselves before clicking the Post Reply button. :D

Seth Stohs
05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Let's all add "Parmelee" to our spell-check dictionaries. This way we'll only see the squiggly red line under the "Parmalee" spelling, and we'll correct ourselves before clicking the Post Reply button. :D

Thank you! Don't forget also that it is "Liam Hendriks," not "Liam Hendricks." I'll give people a pass on Mastroianni, but not for too long. He's been around the org for a couple of months now.

nicksaviking
05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Unless anyone thinks Rizzoti, Bates or Colabello are long term options there's not much else to look forward to at 1B. None look like more than bench bats though.

If Sano and Harrison both turn into power hitters capable of hitting MLB pitching, I'm sure the club would be interested in flipping one of them to the other side of the diamond but that is still years down the road. Parmelee, Mauer and Doumit seem to be the only options this year and probably just Parmelee and Mauer next unless the team wants to go the free agent route. James Loney would bore me to death. I would pass and prefer to continue to gamble on Parmelee at that point. I would be ok with someone like Carlos Pena though. A terrible average turns people off but his OBP makes him tolerable. His power and defense are terrific and in my book he is undervalued.

ScottyB
05-08-2012, 10:35 AM
By 2014/2015 it will probably be Sano. Parmelee might end up being a 1B/RF part-timer, LH pinch-hitter. Let's hope that is the case.

This is true - so maybe Mauer should be learning 3B to go along with C. Sano isn't a great fielder - but we need his bat.

jimbo92107
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Why not bring up Aaron Bates? He's a good 1B, and his average probably won't go lower than it already is so far, .237. Might even go up a bit. He's hit over .300 a few times in the minors, including last year, .316 at AAA Rochester. If we're just talking respectable replacements, Bates seems logical.

stringer bell
05-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Until Justin makes it a four-man rotation, keep playing Parmelee as he is the future (Bates, Rizzoti, etc. aren't). He needs a look. But, please bring up Revere and let him play everday until Justin returns. Let's get something going on the basepaths. Sadly, playing the Rule 5 guy is a slap in the face of a Twins #1 draft pick.With the Twins having Komatsu and with Willingham in LF, it is going to be hard to shoehorn Revere into the lineup. Komatsu made an error last night, but I'm sure that Willingham would never have gotten to the ball in the first place. I don't see the point of having Revere around unless he has a place to play. It looks to me like that place would be CF if Span is injured or traded.

Seth Stohs
05-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Stats through Saturday;

2010 88 Plate Appearances - .355/.443/.592 (1.035) with 6 doubles, 4 home runs and 14 RBI. 12 BB, 13 K.
2011 87 Plate Appearances - .188/.253/.275 (0.528) with 5 doubles, 1 triple, 0 HR and 3 RBI. 5 BB, 20 K.

I think it's Parmelee that goes to Rochester whenever Justin Morneau comes off of the Disabled List.

This isn't about Parmelee not being a prospect. It's about buying the small sample size of September and then spring training. We all hoped he would step up and be ready, but it's a reminder that pushing prospects is not always the right thing to do. There are rare examples where it works out, but this is true in pushing prospects to the big leagues or to any of the lower levels.

Rosterman
05-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Plouffe isn't going anywhere/ He's out of options, so he'll just keep moving around. Looks like first base may be his new home...the Twins are becoming a "Who's on..." skit. Casilla on third, I don't know in right, tomorrow pitching because today stinks.

twinsnorth49
05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Stats through Saturday;

2010 88 Plate Appearances - .355/.443/.592 (1.035) with 6 doubles, 4 home runs and 14 RBI. 12 BB, 13 K.
2011 87 Plate Appearances - .188/.253/.275 (0.528) with 5 doubles, 1 triple, 0 HR and 3 RBI. 5 BB, 20 K.

I think it's Parmelee that goes to Rochester whenever Justin Morneau comes off of the Disabled List.

This isn't about Parmelee not being a prospect. It's about buying the small sample size of September and then spring training. We all hoped he would step up and be ready, but it's a reminder that pushing prospects is not always the right thing to do. There are rare examples where it works out, but this is true in pushing prospects to the big leagues or to any of the lower levels.

Absolutely correct in my view, any criticism of Parmelee isn't fair and right now it's increasingly becoming a disservice for him to be up here. I don't understand why people get so out of joint when others suggest Parmelee should go to Rochester, it's not a slight on the guy, it's where he belongs right now so he may have more value later. Everybody seems to forget he's basically straight out of A ball.

twinstalker
05-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Wrote this on April 2 on one of these threads where the Parmelee excitement was a little out of control:

Parmelee euphoria, I love it. Where solid rationale goes out the window.

I won't go into the minor league numbers, which were extremely consistent and everyone knows (K rate high, hit rate pretty low). Parmelee was all along touted to be an eventual major leaguer. He's fulfilling that promise right now. But he's pretty much been projected to be a second division regular if everything goes his way. Justin Morneau was projected to be an all-star. To even put them in the same sentence, unless that sentence starts with "Due to Morneau's inability to play first base..." is blasphemy. Parmelee's upside, meaning if everything goes right (which they usually don't) is hitting like Cuddyer. Problem is, Cuddyer's numbers were not good, not first-division, for a 1st baseman. And make no mistake, it's highly unlikely Parmelee ever plays much OF.*

In 2008 Denard Span completely "found it." In 2011 Trevor Plouffe had something click that hadn't shown itself before. And then in September Parmelee had a good month. Unfortunately, good Septembers happen to a lot of eventually mediocre players. He's followed that up with a very good spring training...again, not normally the basis for sound projections.

So...here's my thought based on all the evidence: Most likely scenario is that Parmelee is a mediocre, below average 1B. However, we have no evidence that the Span-type light didn't come on. The Plouffe AAA sudden explosion. In other words, there's hope that something special clicked. I hope so, too. But realistically, Parmelee is going to be below average as soon as MLB pitchers discover how to pitch to him. Here's crossing our fingers.

*Almost the only way Parmelee plays in the OF is if he's in the lineup with Morneau, Mauer, and Doumit, AND Mauer is at 1B. In other words, I don't think it's going to happen all that often.

Six weeks isn't enough to crucify him, either, but the rational prior on Parmelee was that he is who his AA stats say he is. In other words, an eventual second-line MLBer who needs to be in AAA right now.

sotafan
05-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Thank you! Don't forget also that it is "Liam Hendriks," not "Liam Hendricks." I'll give people a pass on Mastroianni, but not for too long. He's been around the org for a couple of months now.

I thought is was "Lame Handricks"

mike wants wins
05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
He should not have been up here in the first place, not if your organizational strategy is to only bring guys up when they are ready. He's not ready, nor is there any indication in the minors he ever will be (compare him to other AA first basemen last year.....). Ploffe should play every day, to see if he has a chance, since he's out of options. Parmalee, otoh, should be in AAA practicing. 2nd choice would be him playing every day. 3rd choice would be doing what they are doing....