PDA

View Full Version : Article: Saturday in the Park

Seth Stohs
05-05-2012, 10:56 PM
You can view the page at http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.php?512-Saturday-in-the-Park

glunn
05-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Great article. It sounds like Sano needs to work harder on his defense.

IdahoPilgrim
05-05-2012, 11:39 PM
I know it fits the definition of a "Quality Start," but I watched the game tonight, and Marquis was not quality. He threw as many balls as strikes, got out of several jams due to timely double plays, and gave up consecutive walks more than once. If it wasn't for an inept Seattle lineup, the game would have been blown open long before the 7th inning.

Seth Stohs
05-06-2012, 03:45 AM
I know it fits the definition of a "Quality Start," but I watched the game tonight, and Marquis was not quality. He threw as many balls as strikes, got out of several jams due to timely double plays, and gave up consecutive walks more than once. If it wasn't for an inept Seattle lineup, the game would have been blown open long before the 7th inning.

I don't disagree on the control issue, but it isn't often that I've ever seen a pitcher throw with that much movement before. The only solid hit off of him was the (unfortunate) Seager single that scored two. of the five hits he gave up, three of them didn't go far, little dribblers. He kept the ball on the ground and weak fly balls. The pitches were moving so much that he had no idea where it was going.

YourHouseIsMyHouse
05-06-2012, 06:36 AM
So it looks like Wimmers will need Tommy John. That's awful news not bad news.

twinswon1991
05-06-2012, 07:24 AM
If that was a quality start yoy have lowered your expectations WAY too much. Marquis was struggling to get outs against a AAA lineup. Marquis has to be the worst pitcher holding down a rotation spot in the bigs.

Blake
05-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Seth, I'm not seeing anything from Ryan Doumit that tells me he's long for the club. It looks, to me, like Doumit doesn't work well with pitchers, is a defensive liability and doesn't have much of a bat.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the farm report. Love reading through that stuff.

roger
05-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Good morning Seth, I know Marquis was all over the place, but that ump's strike zone wasn't good either. Felix also walked some guys and also looked very frustrated with the zone.

BD57
05-06-2012, 08:50 AM
@twinswon1991 - the definition of "quality start" is what it is; Marquis had one. It wasn't pretty ... really, it was kinda ugly ... but he had one.

JB_Iowa
05-06-2012, 09:58 AM
I thought it was important that Marquis gutted it out through 6 even though it looked like he should be pulled earlier.

Two 6 inning starts in a row from the staff veterans. It allows the bullpen to better establish their roles. Marquis' start wasn't pretty but when you are trying to turn around an entire staff, I'll take gritty over pretty.

I hope that Blackburn can continue the trend today.

There aren't any quick fixes for this team and I'm a big believer that they need to rebuild entirely but I'd appreciate it if they could at least deliver a little respectablity.

Seth Stohs
05-06-2012, 10:12 AM
So it looks like Wimmers will need Tommy John. That's awful news not bad news.

It would be terrible, for sure. They're going the rest-n-rehab route, which makes sense for awhile, but they'll want to make a decision on Tommy John sooner rather than later.

Seth Stohs
05-06-2012, 10:16 AM
If that was a quality start yoy have lowered your expectations WAY too much. Marquis was struggling to get outs against a AAA lineup. Marquis has to be the worst pitcher holding down a rotation spot in the bigs.

It's a baseball term, a definition for which is 6 or more innings and three or less runs, and he had 6 IP and 2 Runs allowed. I'd also say that although he hasn't been good. there are a few on this staff that are worse. (and a few others)

Seth Stohs
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Seth, I'm not seeing anything from Ryan Doumit that tells me he's long for the club. It looks, to me, like Doumit doesn't work well with pitchers, is a defensive liability and doesn't have much of a bat.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for the farm report. Love reading through that stuff.

I've said a few times here and elsewhere that I will trust Doumit's track record of posting a .780ish career OPS, over what has happened in the first month of playing for a new team in a new league. That's not at all excusing how poorly he played in May, but I can't give up on him being a productive middle of the order type of hitter. It's like the Angels giving up on Pujols becuase he's been far worse in their first month.

As far as his defense, I've actually been surprised that he's been this good. He's not Drew Butera back there, for sure. But I think he's done a very good job blocking pitches, not bad framing pitches (which was what people often said he was really poor at). As far as calling pitches or working with the pitchers, I haven't seen anything alarming, and if we're looking at results, it's hard to differentiate between Doumit and Mauer.

I guess the alternative is going back to Butera as the at least half time catcher, but I think I'll take Doumit's track record and HOPE he can get better soon!

And as for him not being long for the team... he did sign a one year contract, and Chris Herrmann may be ready at some point next year.

Seth Stohs
05-06-2012, 10:25 AM
I thought it was important that Marquis gutted it out through 6 even though it looked like he should be pulled earlier.

I like stats too, but I think that stuff like this is overlooked in a 162 game schedule. He wasn't pitching great, but he did get through six innings, and that helps the bullpen. I'm a huge Hendriks backer and will continue to be so, but he wasn't able to figure out a way to get through a few more innings when he was struggling. So, there is value in those veteran types. IT's something I've admittedly overlooked.

peterb18
05-06-2012, 04:11 PM
As I'm responding to this and watching Blackburn get pounded, I'm thinking that I remember reacting to various threads in the past year and placing the blame for this debacle on ownership. In summary, I stated that : two years ago they decimated the reliever corp, and last year they got rid of the power base(Cuddyer and Kubel), letting one of best relievers go(Nathan)--not to mention the leadership of Cuddyer and Natan. I got blistered for bring this up(in a gentlemanly way). This is purely an ownership problem. For one thing you don't cut payroll after a new stadium is built for you. The stadium alone has increased the value of the team by at least 300-400 million. Remember this is the same ownership that has tried to contract the team and also sell the team to a guy in North Caroliona. When we had 93 wins two years ago and fell short--most ownership would try to add a few pieces , but no we go the other way and subtract and end up with the worst team in all of baseball. I don't have to repeat all of bad moves management has done in addition to ownership's decision to downsize the team on the field. Just think what this situation will look like in August--lots of empty seats!