PDA

View Full Version : Article: Just Better Than Awful

John Bonnes
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.com/content.php?503-Just-Better-Than-Awful

Dougmancaveitch
05-03-2012, 02:05 AM
I know you're trying to stay positive John, but I think we're past that.

Top Gun
05-03-2012, 02:24 AM
It's true, but you need to be motovative to play baseball.

twinswon1991
05-03-2012, 06:27 AM
With the 2nd pick in the 2012 MLB Draft.......The MN TWINS take ------ a soft tosser who throws strikes but can't strike anyone out.
With the 1st pick in the 2013 MLB draft.........THE MN TWINS take ------" " " " " ".

Can we all agree Terry Ryan should be fired?? The moment he gave up a supplemental 1st round pick to resign Capps it showed he is old and clueless. To gie up a 1st rounder when you have the worst farm system in baseball is a fireable offense.

Teflon
05-03-2012, 08:53 AM
There's a distinction between being in the bottom third in the league in ERA with good offense and being the absolute worst pitching staff in the league coupled with a bad offense. The Twins 2009 Twins staff was a run and a half better and scored more runs than they gave up while the 2012 Twins are on the pace to allow over 900 runs this season and only score around 600. We thought the -200 run differential last year was bad - this year's team threatens -300. No way a team like that competes. Sorry.

Strangely, the three most wins for teams that allowed more than 900 runs in a season all occurred in 1996. The Orioles won 88 games, (Scored 949 runs/allowed 903) the Red Sox won 85, (928/921) and the Rockies won 83. (961/964) You'll notice all scored over 900 runs as well.

scottz
05-03-2012, 09:08 AM
John ol' buddy ol' pal...there is optimism and there is delusion, and I'm sorry to suggest that you're on the wrong side of the tracks here. In order for this team to get to 86 wins (my definition of "compete", as that is the mark I have in mind as the lowest possible number of wins needed for the 2nd wild card team), this squad would have to go 80-58 from here on out. That's a .580 clip, which is currently only being played by 7 teams (Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Texas, Washington, Atlanta, St. Louis, and the LA Dodgers).

It would absolutely take a miracle to compete.

CDog
05-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Strangely, the three most wins for teams that allowed more than 900 runs in a season all occurred in 1996. The Orioles won 88 games, (Scored 949 runs/allowed 903) the Red Sox won 85, (928/921) and the Rockies won 83. (961/964) You'll notice all scored over 900 runs as well.

Hmmm...I wonder what was different in the league in the mid-90's. Hmmm. I don't know if that's funny or sad or both.

Fire Dan Gladden
05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Interesting how everybody says they cant compete. If they win 75 games this year, it would be competing and a dramatic improvement over last year. Ruoghly .500 ball the rest of the way? That is definitely in reach.

savvyspy
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Interesting how everybody says they cant compete. If they win 75 games this year, it would be competing and a dramatic improvement over last year. Ruoghly .500 ball the rest of the way? That is definitely in reach.

What gives you the idea this mess can play .500 baseball the rest of the year?? The Twins are more likely to win 55 games than 75 games at this point.

radiodewey
05-03-2012, 01:02 PM
It's going to take 2 to 3 years to clean up this mess, know one ready in the farm system, too many bad contracts at the major league level, no pitching, it's a real mess. I wonder if Gardy will resign, how much more can he take of just plain rotten baseball? Ownership is stuck unless they want to eat some contracts or up the payroll. How long does Terry Ryan wait to blow this team up and start trading? The media in Minnesota is being Minnesota nice on this and not holding Ownership accountable for providing Twins fans rotten baseball for 2 years in a row.

Montecore
05-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I know you're trying to stay positive John, but I think we're past that. its over for this team

and with Gardenhire and Ryan and the Pohlads they will continue to be a disgrace for years to come.I

Jim H
05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Actually, I agree with John. If the Twins were to get decent starting pitching, just a bunch of quality starts, say, I could see the Twins make a run towards contention. It happened last year, till the pitching fell apart, again. The everyday players seem healthier than last year, and if they could get a bit of spark at the bottom of the order, they could score some runs.

I would just like to see how this team might perform if they weren't down 2-3 runs at the bottom of the 2nd inning every night.

LaBombo
05-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Yes, the Twins made the playoffs in 2009 with below-average pitching.

And all it took was career seasons from Mauer, Cuddyer, Kubel, and Span, plus a solid year from a mostly-healthy Morneau.
The rest of the hitters were similar to the awful supporting cast we have now, but certainly not markedly worse.

And that 2009 starting rotation was repeatedly bailed out by an infinitely better bullpen than the 2012 edition. Their high-leverage work contributed much more to winning than is reflected in their effect on overall ERA.

LaBombo
05-03-2012, 04:34 PM

How is finishing 15 or more games behind the typical win total of the Central Division winner over the past decade "competing", other than just not losing as often as they are now?

BorderRivals
05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Absolutely nailed it. Lack of even a decent No. 3 is killing this team. We have a starting staff of Nos. 4 and 5. Plus, what is worse, there is almost no hope on the horizon. No Trevor Bauer, Matt Moore, Tyler Skaggs, Shelby Miller, nothing. And that is sad. Plus, what is worse, Dave St. Peter is telling the fan base to #KeepTheFaith: http://wp.me/p29VCs-8h. You have got to be kidding me. Give us just a little reason to believe the faith should be kept!!