PDA

View Full Version : Butera is Back?

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 11:28 AM
According to 1500espn, Drew Butera is headed to Los Angeles to join the Twins. Right now, he is a possible addition to the Rochester roster, pending what they learn about the wrist of Justin Morneau. Of the players on the 40 man roster, Butera makes the most sense. Joe Mauer will likely get more time at 1B with Ryan Doumit doing the catching. Of course, this doesn't bode well for Chris Parmelee who needs to play. Of the three catchers that went to camp with the Twins and started the season in Rochester, Butera has far-and-away been playing the best.

Gernzy
05-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Interesting. They must be expecting to put Morneau on the DL. Really hope it doesn't come to that.

luckylager
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
As long as Butera remains as bench insurance with Doughnut and Mauer getting in the line up everyday, I am cool with this.

Mr. Ed
05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
As long as Butera remains as bench insurance with Doughnut and Mauer getting in the line up everyday, I am cool with this.

That's not going to happen. We all know this. Drew will get too many at bats,just as Clete Thomas did early.

What a weak bench. Burroughs/Drew/Clete ? Yuck

Boom Boom
05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Sick now! droop now! this sickness doth infect
The very life-blood of our enterprise;
'Tis catching hither, even to our camp.

StormJH1
05-01-2012, 11:42 AM
That's not going to happen. We all know this. Drew will get too many at bats,just as Clete Thomas did early.

Understand your skepticism, but I'm not so sure this time around. I think Doumit has been serviceable enough at catcher that Butera won't get much run.

Just be prepared for the inevitability that either Mauer or Doumit (or both) are going to break at some point this year, so Butera and Towles will play some role on this team.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Yes, starting to look a lot like last years bench, unfortunately. If Morneau is headed to DL, seems like a perfect time to call up Revere. He can platoon in right with Plouffe, put Doumit at DH and Parmalee at 1B. Much better than dealing with Clete and/or Butera in the lineup most days and YOU know that is going to happen. Gardy's fascination with backup catchers wins out again. Sorry guys, you can try and spin this in a positive light all you want. There is no reason for Drew Butera to be on a major league roster at this point in his career, he is a net negative, you might as well have your pitcher hit.

mike wants wins
05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Awesome. Can't wait to read about him all year long again this year. Can't wait to watch him "hit" again this year. But, I do agree, a catcher makes the most sense, with Mauer at 1B. But that catcher should only be used 1 time a week, max, not all the time. But I have a bad feeling about this, and their obsession with catcher defense.

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Butera will be the 3rd catcher... He will hardly play and he'll not hit much... I get the snide sarcasm, but it's not a big deal...

The big deal is losing Morneau, if that's what happens.

Gernzy
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Yes, starting to look a lot like last years bench, unfortunately. If Morneau is headed to DL, seems like a perfect time to call up Revere. He can platoon in right with Plouffe, put Doumit at DH and Parmalee at 1B. Much better than dealing with Clete and/or Butera in the lineup most days and YOU know that is going to happen. Gardy's fascination with backup catchers wins out again. Sorry guys, you can try and spin this in a positive light all you want. There is no reason for Drew Butera to be on a major league roster at this point in his career, he is a net negative, you might as well have your pitcher hit.

I like this idea. Being able to keep Parmelee at first and Doumit at DH makes sense.

Mr. Ed
05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Joe C has confirmed the promotion of Butera; no official corresponding move has been made.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Butera will be the 3rd catcher... He will hardly play and he'll not hit much... I get the snide sarcasm, but it's not a big deal...

The big deal is losing Morneau, if that's what happens.

We'll see, I bet he catches whenever Pavano starts though. The Twins aren't so deep that they can afford the luxury of carrying 3 catchers, especially while they are carrying 13 pitchers, it makes no sense to have a guy on your bench that you can't count on to pinch hit or pinch run, just "in case" one of your other catchers gets hurt. It's stupid, and no amount of trying to say it's not a big deal changes that fact. If he's not going to play much, then why bother having him on the bench? It's a waste of resources, especially when your bench is already too thin.

Mr. Ed
05-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Twins should lop off Thomas now and bring up Mastroianni. Can't do any worse than Thomas has been.

James
05-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Maybe they are getting rid of Clete??? Let's hope that is the case and not Morneau to the DL.

Mr. Ed
05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Also doesn't help any that Thomas/Plouffe/Burroughs are contributing very little.

Organization lack of high-level depth back in play again.

Thrylos
I hope that Morneau is healthy. In the beginning of the season the Twins had a nice bench. Right now, the bench is Clete Thomas, Drew Butera and Sean Burroughs, 3 players who are at best AAAA players. This is just not too good.

And, regardless what we would like to believe about Butera's playing time, he will play... He is the only RH bat off the bench and I suspect that he will resume the role of Pavano's personal catcher.

It just sucks, but the writing has been on the wall.

Gernzy
Best case is Morneau is fine and we get rid of a pitcher...Burnett...

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Best case is Morneau is fine and we get rid of a pitcher...Burnett...

Burnett's been pretty good so far.

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
"The Twins aren't so deep that they can afford the luxury of carrying 3 catchers, especially while they are carrying 13 pitchers,"

When the first two catchers are every day players, then the third catcher is really the backup catcher... He's really the #2 catcher, regardless of which starting catcher starts that day and which plays another position. I do agree that carrying 13 pitchers is a bit much.

Gernzy
05-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Burnett's been pretty good so far.

Who do you think we should get rid of? Big reason I said Burnett is I know he still has an option left and I'd rather not see us flat out release someone.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 12:06 PM
For fun, just looked at the rest of the AL's rosters. Guess what, your Twins are now the ONLY team in the AL carrying 3 catchers. Yet, some will still argue that Gardy doesn't have an obsession with having a backup catcher. It's a flaw and Ryan shouldn't feed the beast by giving him this unneeded safety net.

JB_Iowa
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Of the three catchers that went to camp with the Twins and started the season in Rochester, Butera has far-and-away been playing the best.

Well, let's hope he doesn't forget everything he learned in AAA the minute he steps off the plane.

ashburyjohn
05-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Sick now! droop now! this sickness doth infect
The very life-blood of our enterprise;
'Tis catching hither, even to our camp.

+1 internets to you, King Boom Boom the Fourth.

ashburyjohn
05-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Interesting. They must be expecting to put Morneau on the DL. Really hope it doesn't come to that.

As soon as I saw mid-game that Morneau had come out due to a wrist problem, and seeing his .536 OPS ever since his 2-HR game, I thought of posting a forum question, "who do the Twins bring up to replace Justin?". It has DL written all over it; something the manager and front office knew about and were hoping would work itself out on its own. The wrist will be examined, and the only two possible outcomes will be "surgery" or "rest". No doctor is going to say "get back out on the field, you big baby." Because, Morneau is not a big baby. This is bad.

scottz
05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Kinda surprised that no one has broke up Mauer's foul-ball knee in this thread. My guess is Joe might not be behind the plate for a few days and Gardy wants a catcher on hand to back up Doumit. So if Butera catches Pavano every 5th day until Mauer is fully healed and Morneau returns from the Twin Cities or the DL - whichever the case - then this move seems justified to me. If Butera hangs around once Mauer's knee is better, then I will join the angst.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Kinda surprised that no one has broke up Mauer's foul-ball knee in this thread. My guess is Joe might not be behind the plate for a few days and Gardy wants a catcher on hand to back up Doumit. So if Butera catches Pavano every 5th day until Mauer is fully healed and Morneau returns from the Twin Cities or the DL - whichever the case - then this move seems justified to me. If Butera hangs around once Mauer's knee is better, then I will join the angst.

You bring up a good point regarding Mauer's knee. If he isn't able to play C for a few days, then yes it does make sense to have a 3rd C. Hope that's all there is to it.

Rosterman
05-01-2012, 12:33 PM
And that means Plouffe gets to make or break himself as the right fielder. So sad...would rather see Revere out there for a couple of weeks with Plouffe on the bench. I also do wish we had Hughes (sigh) instead of Burroughs. Bench is pretty darn sucky right now.....

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Yet, some will still argue that Gardy doesn't have an obsession with having a backup catcher. It's a flaw and Ryan shouldn't feed the beast by giving him this unneeded safety net.

Every manager wants a backup catcher. There isn't one manager in baseball that doesn't. Again, When Mauer catches, Doumit plays somewhere else. And vice versa. So every day, Butera would be the backup catcher. Yes, it is a third catcher, but when the other two are starting every day, I don't have a problem with it at all.

Seth Stohs
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM
You bring up a good point regarding Mauer's knee. If he isn't able to play C for a few days, then yes it does make sense to have a 3rd C. Hope that's all there is to it.

This also should not be minimized. If he couldn't run last night, I'm completely on board with him not catching for a few days. Just adds to this move making sense.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Every manager wants a backup catcher. There isn't one manager in baseball that doesn't. Again, When Mauer catches, Doumit plays somewhere else. And vice versa. So every day, Butera would be the backup catcher. Yes, it is a third catcher, but when the other two are starting every day, I don't have a problem with it at all.

If both Doumit and Mauer are in the lineup, the other guy is still the backup. What difference does it make if they are in the lineup or not? The Tigers went through almost all of 2010 with Avila and Martinez in the same situation as Mauer and Doumit, only rarely having a 3rd catcher on the roster and somehow managed to win the division. When Olivo got hurt this year, the Mariners to decided they could live with Jaso and Montero, despite the fact Montero will be DHing most days. I suspect the only reason they had 3 guys to begin with is that neither Jaso or Olivo is really a starter. It's just a waste of a roster spot unless one of your guys is actually banged up. That's the only time a team should carry a third C unless it's a guy that you can count on as a pinch hitter, which Butera is definitely not.

nicksaviking
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
For fun, just looked at the rest of the AL's rosters. Guess what, your Twins are now the ONLY team in the AL carrying 3 catchers. Yet, some will still argue that Gardy doesn't have an obsession with having a backup catcher. It's a flaw and Ryan shouldn't feed the beast by giving him this unneeded safety net.

But that's only because the other teams in the AL don't have a 2nd catcher good enough that the team needs to find a way to put him in the lineup most nights. I'd venture to guess that 80% of fans think their team needs a better backup catcher. Butera is not going to be getting any significant action. This ship is pointing in the wrong direction, Gardy may like Drew Butera, but he's not going to give him playing time at the expense of job security, and he knows he's no lock for skipper in 2013 with another 99 loss season.

mike wants wins
05-01-2012, 12:56 PM
1. Losing Morneau is the biggest issue....just when I thought they could deal him for some minor league pitchers...
2. Mauer's knee is an issue, agreed - continues to raise the question of him as a catcher, btw....
3. You DON"T NEED a backup catcher. If they are both in the lineup, and the catcher is hurt, the other moves over, and they have a 1 game problem. There are airplanes now, to get your 3rd catcher there if you need one. You only need one if you are paranoid, about having an issue for a few innings or a game.
4. NO OTHER AL TEAM is carrying a 3rd catcher....as for no other teams need to get their catcher in the game, Mauer is not one the best hitting catcher in the game right now. Plenty of other teams are relying on their catchers to be legit hitters now. This is not a real argument.

sotafan
05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
If both Doumit and Mauer are in the lineup, the other guy is still the backup. What difference does it make if they are in the lineup or not? The Tigers went through almost all of 2010 with Avila and Martinez in the same situation as Mauer and Doumit, only rarely having a 3rd catcher on the roster and somehow managed to win the division. When Olivo got hurt this year, the Mariners to decided they could live with Jaso and Montero, despite the fact Montero will be DHing most days. I suspect the only reason they had 3 guys to begin with is that neither Jaso or Olivo is really a starter. It's just a waste of a roster spot unless one of your guys is actually banged up. That's the only time a team should carry a third C unless it's a guy that you can count on as a pinch hitter, which Butera is definitely not.

Don't forget that they had Inge as the 3rd C in Detroit last year.

Fanatic Jack
05-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Seth,

You sure love the team's kool-aid. Jim Jones would of loved you. How does Drew (.180) Butera help the Twins win more games? It does nothing but hurt the team and coddle Mauer.

Fire Dan Gladden
05-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Losing Morneau will not be good. I bet dollars to doughnuts he is out for a while.
Gardenhire likes to play all of his backups regularly, so if Butera is indeed called up, prepare to see him more than once per week.
Gardenhire's job is not in jeopardy now, nor will it be regardless of how the team performs this year

Boom Boom
05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
+1 internets to you, King Boom Boom the Fourth.

I found something epically Shakespearean about the recall of Butera. I should know well enough to use a citation though. That's from 1 Henry IV, but you already knew that.

The word "catching" with the implication of infectious disease seemed appropriate.

ashburyjohn
05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I found something epically Shakespearean about the recall of Butera.

Comedy, or tragedy?

Boom Boom
05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Comedy, or tragedy?

Bad baseball is a bit of both. Just like the plays.

John Bonnes
05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
If Mauer can't catch because of the knee, then this is a reasonable move. It has nothing to do with Mauer and Doumit being in the lineup. I've been as critical of Butera and the Twins hopes for him as anyone, and I think I'd rather see Rivera (especially with Frankie pitching tonight) but I don't know what other move I would advise.

ScottyB
05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I want to throw up with this bench - Gardy has no options - Burroughs .118 Av / .167 OBP / .343 OPS; Thomas .182 Av / .217 OBP / .581 OPS (+12 strikeouts in last 14 AB's!); Butera lifetime ,178 Av / .220 OBP / .481 OPS. The loss of Morneau will be massive. According to him (Morneau) he's been hurting since the series with the Rays. The last time he felt okay was against the Yankees.

Top Gun
05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Morneau for Butera is a bad trade off, but maybe Mauer is hurting too.

DAM DC Twins Fans
05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
The only way this makes sense if Mauer knee is worse than we think and Morneau wrist is bad then Mauer DH and Morneau DL. If this is for any other reason--makes no sense. Parmalee should be playing 3/4 of games at 1B. If Mauer plays at 1B then Parmalee sits on bench.

Why not bring up Dozier???

If Mauer/Doumit hurt--Drew can get here in 24 hours so worse case scenario Gardy has to move Doumit/Mauer from DH to C and pitcher hits once or twice...

Thrylos
05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
If Mauer can't catch because of the knee, then this is a reasonable move. It has nothing to do with Mauer and Doumit being in the lineup. I've been as critical of Butera and the Twins hopes for him as anyone, and I think I'd rather see Rivera (especially with Frankie pitching tonight) but I don't know what other move I would advise.

Agree on both counts (if Mauer cannot catch, and Rivera makes more sense than Butera). But this means that the Catcher goes back down as soon as Mauer can catch. I just hate what this does to the bench...

nokomismod
05-01-2012, 01:56 PM
"The Twins aren't so deep that they can afford the luxury of carrying 3 catchers, especially while they are carrying 13 pitchers,"

When the first two catchers are every day players, then the third catcher is really the backup catcher... He's really the #2 catcher, regardless of which starting catcher starts that day and which plays another position. I do agree that carrying 13 pitchers is a bit much.
Thank for stating that so clearly Seth. This move makes sense and will allow Doumit, Mauer, and Parmalee to play with Butera as insurance.
As much as I wanted to think that Morneau was back, I just don't see him getting there. Stinks.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-01-2012, 02:08 PM
I assumed this move was done bc Mauer is still a little sore/day to day after taking the foul ball off the knee? If that is the case Butera will be back down by the end of the weekend and most likely won't see many at bats. (Only as a defensive replacement or if Doumit is PR for)

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Thank for stating that so clearly Seth. This move makes sense and will allow Doumit, Mauer, and Parmalee to play with Butera as insurance.
As much as I wanted to think that Morneau was back, I just don't see him getting there. Stinks.
Can you please explain why Doumit, Mauer and Parmalee can't play without having Butera as insurance? Seems that having insurance when you are 6-15 might be a luxury you can't afford. Shouldn't the Twins be more concerned about getting the best players onto the roster so they might possibly win more than one out of every 3-4 games? Every other team in the league thinks it's a luxury, but not the Twins I guess, they know better, right? I swear, some of you make it sound as though Mauer and Doumit both leave every game with an injury. It just doesn't happen frequently enough to worry about enough to weaken an already weak bench.

Thrylos
05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Plus Jose Lopez, just got DFA'd be CLE. Decent on the field middle infielder, right hand bat with some pop (think he hit 25+ a season with seattle) and not Ancient. I think if Mauer can catch he makes more sense than Drew.

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Plus Jose Lopez, just got DFA'd be CLE. Decent on the field middle infielder, right hand bat with some pop (think he hit 25+ a season with seattle) and not Ancient. I think if Mauer can catch he makes more sense than Drew.

Jose Lopez? Yuck, no way. Other than two decent seasons he has been downright awful.

Thrylos
05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Jose Lopez? Yuck, no way. Other than two decent seasons he has been downright awful.

well...
His awfulness has been better than that of Butera, Thomas, Burroughs and Plouffe. I know it is sad, but it is true. Just not too many options out there at this point, unless they want to blow this thing up with trades and bring the kids up to play. If that is the case, get rid of Butera and bring up Herrmann. He is 24, not 19 or 20...

SpiritofVodkaDave
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
well...
His awfulness has been better than that of Butera, Thomas, Burroughs and Plouffe. I know it is sad, but it is true. Just not too many options out there at this point, unless they want to blow this thing up with trades and bring the kids up to play. If that is the case, get rid of Butera and bring up Herrmann. He is 24, not 19 or 20...
Butera isn't going to get at bats, having him on the major league roster isn't going to hurt anyone and he is already on the 40 man roster etc. Having Herrmann up instead literally makes no difference as he won't get at bats and might as well get at bats every day in the minors.

You bring up Lopez over Butera and Thomas while ignoring that Thomas is on the roster bc he is a 4th OF (something Lopez can't do) and Butera is on the roster bc he is a Catcher (something Lopez can't do) If your argument is "well he is a better hitter than Butera" then I hate to inform you that we could replace Lopez's name with any player in the majors and at least 1000 in the minors.

Lopez may be better than Burroughs and Plouffe, but I'd argue that both have more upside than Lopez as both are a little more of an unknown quantity at the major league level, Plouffe still has a shred of hope of turning into a Cuddyer like player. Lopez is known garbage (3800+ PA in the majors) and does nothing to improve the team heading into 2013+, Plouffe at least has a slight chance to pull it together to be a super utility player from here on out.

Gernzy
05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
I assumed this move was done bc Mauer is still a little sore/day to day after taking the foul ball off the knee? If that is the case Butera will be back down by the end of the weekend and most likely won't see many at bats. (Only as a defensive replacement or if Doumit is PR for)

This. If Mauer isn't catching tonight, he will tomorrow or Friday at the latest. No reason for people to flip out over this.

stringer bell
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
They could go back to 12 pitchers--after they've had two consecutive "quality starts"! If they do go back to 12 pitchers, any of Gray, Burnett and Maloney could be demoted/optioned/DFAed. No one has been consistently bad in the bullpen, so it isn't an easy choice. Maloney had one putrid outing, Gray has allowed a lot of baserunners, but hasn't allowed his runners to score, and Burnett has been pretty good, but has allowed runs his last two outings and has an option.

Mr. Ed
05-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Gray has allowed a lot of baserunners, but hasn't allowed his runners to score

Gray allowed 2 inherited runners in a NYY game to score,and allowed one to score in his last outing vs KC.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't forget that they had Inge as the 3rd C in Detroit last year.
And they used him a total of ZERO innings!! He hasn't caught since 2008. Thanks for helping me prove my point! :D

mike wants wins
05-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Why do we need butera insurance? Can they not call him up if someone cannot play?

Skelly
05-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Scenario: Doumit Catching, Mauer DHing. Doumit hurt. Twins would be better off having Mauer move to C and lose the DH than to bring in Butera because he HITS WORSE THAN A PITCHER!

USAFChief
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
If Butera is up only until Mauer is able to resume everyday catching duties, I can live with it.

That said, roster management seems to me a constant struggle with this team. Players sit around for 10 days unable to play without going on the DL. You could sort of understand 13 pitchers while Blackburn and Liriano were out of the rotation, but that situation has resolved itself...and there are still 13 pitchers on the big league team. Luke Hughes was sacrificed for the sake of 1 possible Blackburn start. Revere starts the season on the major league team, and within 2 weeks somebody decides that's not a good idea. If it wasn't a good idea in mid-April, it wasn't a good idea in early April. We'll see how many ABs Butera gets, and just how long he's on the roster. My bet is, he won't be going back to Rochester any time soon. Roster management/construction been an issue for as long as Gardy and Ryan/Smith have been at the helm, and sometimes it just makes no sense.

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 07:10 PM
They DFA'd Burroughs for the spot. Unless I'm forgetting someone that means if Mauer can't play we have 1 bench guy? 2 of Plouffe/Thomas/Butera have to play, right? Mourneau is in MN right now, so he won't be available. Not sure I understand this plan at all. Also means that Butera is obviously more than "insurance", doesn't it? If Mauer can play, then I don't understand the rush to get Butera here...

CDog
05-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Scenario: Doumit Catching, Mauer DHing. Doumit hurt. Twins would be better off having Mauer move to C and lose the DH than to bring in Butera because he HITS WORSE THAN A PITCHER!

Every pitcher? Some pitchers? One pitcher? Most pitchers? Proof please?

mike wants wins
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Scenario: Mauer and Doumit both in the game, Butera on the bench, 13 pitchers on the roster...pinch hitter needed...no one available. Isn't this MORE LIKELY, than one of Doumit or Mauer gets hurt? NO OTHER AL TEAM has 3 catchers on it of a reason....because they worry about every game, not some mystery game that may or may not happen.

mikeee
05-01-2012, 08:01 PM
I sure hope Drew doesn't get at bats.
He was waaaay over exposed last year.

thegreyeagle2
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
There has to be better back up catchers floating around in other organizations. We really need to take a look at a better replacement than Butera. We should have never traded Ramos.

twinsnorth49
05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Every pitcher? Some pitchers? One pitcher? Most pitchers? Proof please?

Ok, Javier Vasquez hit .179 in 67 PA's and Chris Volstad hit .196 in 54 PA's for the Marlins last year ( maybe we should hire the Marlins hitting coach)!!! , Joe Saunders .197/ 67 PA'a, Dodgers......that's 3, Butera hit .167.... let's call it a day shall we? Butera shouldn't have a bat in his hands.

2003freak2003
05-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Nice post TwinsNorth49 and I agree with greyeagle2 there has to be better catchers available...Can someone explain to me why we even invest any time or money in to Butera?

2003freak2003
05-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Ok, Javier Vasquez hit .179 in 67 PA's and Chris Volstad hit .196 in 54 PA's for the Marlins last year ( maybe we should hire the Marlins hitting coach)!!! , Joe Saunders .197/ 67 PA'a, Dodgers......that's 3, Butera hit .167.... let's call it a day shall we? Butera shouldn't have a bat in his hands.

Take this into consideration. Jason Marquis has a career batting average of .197 in 573 AB's. Last year .190 in 45 AB's . Also something interesting to watch during inter-league play.

CDog
05-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Haha. My questions were mostly rhetorical because of the nature of the claim. It was a tiny stone thrown to keep this forum from turning into the comments section of a certain local paper or two. But as long as we're picking nits, we both know BA isn't the best stat for how good a hitter is. Butera crushes those guys on wOBA from 2011 (.183, .201, and .197 to Butera's .202). (I can't wait to see how serious and personal that attack was on the quoted poster!)

twinsnorth49
05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Haha. My questions were mostly rhetorical because of the nature of the claim. It was a tiny stone thrown to keep this forum from turning into the comments section of a certain local paper or two. But as long as we're picking nits, we both know BA isn't the best stat for how good a hitter is. Butera crushes those guys on wOBA from 2011 (.183, .201, and .197 to Butera's .202). (I can't wait to see how serious and personal that attack was on the quoted poster!)

Lol, I don't take anything personally or seriously (Butera might though), life's too short. Beside's my answer was rhetorical.

CDog
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Lol, I don't take anything personally or seriously (Butera might though), life's too short. Beside's my answer was rhetorical.

I actually looked up Butera's numbers to include in my response to be funny...turned out funnier than I thought! I expected he would have a large enough SLG advantage to make up a lot of ground on all of them. I think it was Volstad that actually slugged the same, and the rest weren't far behind. Yikes.

ashburyjohn
05-06-2012, 12:03 AM
As soon as I saw mid-game that Morneau had come out due to a wrist problem, and seeing his .536 OPS ever since his 2-HR game, I thought of posting a forum question, "who do the Twins bring up to replace Justin?". It has DL written all over it; something the manager and front office knew about and were hoping would work itself out on its own. The wrist will be examined, and the only two possible outcomes will be "surgery" or "rest". No doctor is going to say "get back out on the field, you big baby." Because, Morneau is not a big baby. This is bad.

I know, I know, it's such bad form to re-post and say I told you so. I was willing to give the brain trust the benefit of the doubt with their wait-and-see approach. But.