PDA

View Full Version : Mauer vs the Other #3 Hitters

John Bonnes
04-30-2012, 12:26 PM
It turns out that Joe Mauer isn't doing too poorly in WPA compared to the other #3 hitters in the AL. There are a lot of guys struggling a lot worse. Here each team, who has batter #3 for them the most, and their WPA through 4/27:

TBR - Longoria 1.01
TEX - Hamilton 1.01
DET - Cabrera 0.86
CHW - Dunn 0.42
BAL - Markakis 0.41
MIN - Mauer 0.28
CLE - Choo 0.03
BOS - Gonzalez -0.01
OAK - Reddick -0.16
TOR - Bautista -0.18
KCR - Hosmer -0.29
LAA - Pujols -0.3
SEA - Ichiro -0.52
NYY - Cano -0.53

Fire Dan Gladden
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Looking at the bottom half of this list, I find it hard to believe those names will stay down there for long.

Boom Boom
04-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Hypothetically, if the Twins had the top 3 guys on that list (Longoria, Hamilton, and Cabrera) along with Mauer, which one would bat 3rd?

gunnarthor
04-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Hypothetically, if the Twins had the top 3 guys on that list (Longoria, Hamilton, and Cabrera) along with Mauer, which one would bat 3rd?

Span, Mauer, Cabrera, Hamilton, Longoria. That would be a really fun 1-5.

Boom Boom
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Span, Mauer, Cabrera, Hamilton, Longoria. That would be a really fun 1-5.

That would be fun, but Gardy is still the manager. So Carroll is probably still batting 2nd.

mike wants wins
04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
I'll bet money Pujols doesn't stay down there on the list....lots of money. I'd guess most of those don't.....

StormJH1
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Since the entire post was premised upon the value of WPA as a statistic, I referred to this FanGraphs explanation and had myself a good laugh:

Why you should care: WPA takes into account the importance of each situation in the game. A walk off home run is going to be weighted more then a home run in a game that has already gotten out of hand. This makes it a great tool for determining how valuable a player was to his team’s win total.

Something tells me the sabermetrics community's uncompromising love for Joe Mauer is not a product of all of the "walk-off homers" he hits...or the ones he hits in blow-out games! I readily concede that Joe Mauer is awesome at "trying not to get out".

So, if that list based on 20-odd games is to be trusted, Nick Markakis is better than Mauer, Puljos, Adrian Gonzalez, Hosmer, Bautista, and Cano. Got it.

I don't think Mauer is a "bad" #3 hitter, I just think that one thing that is very difficult to measure with any kind of statistic is mentality at the plate. Morneau in his prime was an example of a guy who could mash for the fences (and maybe strike out), or prolong the inning with a base hit when we were down by multiple runs. Mauer's approach, almost always, is to prolong innings so that other guys get a chance to drive him in. That doesn't make him bad, but ideally he'd be a great #2 hitter if we had better options at #3. Actually, a healthy Morneau, in many ways, would be a great #3 hitter.

darin617
05-08-2012, 07:37 PM
How about changing the title to Mauer VS other #2 hitters.