PDA

View Full Version : Ben Revere

30whales
04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I am just wondering what everyone thinks of Ben Revere? I really like him and think he deserves the chance to start everyday. I really don't understand why we keep sending him back down. We aren't going anywhere so we may as well get him going in the majors. Anyways I am no expert just an opinion.

Thrylos
04-28-2012, 09:32 PM
I like Ben Revere. And here is why I like him: He has good energy. Big smile, busts his rear end to make it happen. Good Energy. So did Kirby Puckett, so did Carlos Gomez, so does Lexi Casilla...

rogrulz30
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I totally agree, just not at the leadoff spot in the order, this guy does bring the energy we need on the team!

stringer bell
04-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Revere probably can be a big league regular, but he's not a real good fit with a power-starved team if he has to play a corner outfield position. If Span were to be traded and Revere could assume patrolling center field, then it might be a fit. As a hitter, Ben needs to be more selective (draw more walks) and probably become a better bunter. The weak arm and the lack of power are well-documented. It kind of does limit his upside, but if Revere can be a .300 hitter with a .350 or so OBP, he can be an asset. I'd love to see an outfield with Revere (or Span), Benson and Hicks--hitters would have a real tough time hitting gaps between those three and Hicks and Benson have powerful arms.

minn55441
04-28-2012, 10:16 PM
I really like Ben and think he has a shot to be an everyday big league outfielder. He is also still very young and needs be somewhere that will allow him to get at bats every day. Right now that means AAA. Willingham and span have two outfield spots locked up. That means one outfield spot is open at the major league level. Currently these games will be split between Ploufe, Parmele, Clete Thomas and Doumit.

I agree that he brings energy to the club and he is fun to watch, however if he is going to fulfill his potential, he needs to get 400 to 500 at bats this summer. He won't get them in Minnesota. He has a real chance to develop into a .280+ hitter at the major league level and the only way to get there is by continuing to play everyday. I agree that this year may be a losing one for the Twins, so why ruin a young players development by giving him spot starts throughout the summer?

Over the next 2 to 3 years, we will have Benson, Hicks and Revere among others fighting for a starting spot on the Twins. Let's make sure Ben has every opportunity to enter into that competition. By keeping him in the big leagues now, we are just limiting his development.

Top Gun
04-28-2012, 10:41 PM
I think we could play Ben in cf, Span in rf and get rid of Thomas.

one_eyed_jack
04-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I enjoy watching him play. He's crazy fast. And he definitely busts his rear out there.

That said, being an exciting player doesn't always translate into being an effective player.

He can be a terror on the basepaths, but needs to learn how to get on base more often. I'd like to see him get better at laying off close pitches and fouling off tough ones, which would allow him to extend more at-bats and take more walks.

He can chase down balls in the gap that nobody else can get, but the tradeoff is that teams will take the extra base on his popgun arm all night long.

Unforunately, the position that's the best logical fit for him is LF, and that's occupied by Willingham.

striker_86
04-28-2012, 11:28 PM
I like revere too, if he could find a way to have at bats like span, then he would be the perfect leadoff hitter. But until he learns how to get on base more, he's nothing more than a bottom of the order guy

mnfireman
04-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Teach him to play 2B!

twinsnorth49
04-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Everyone loves Revere's energy and enthusiasm, but that in itself doesn't translate into effective play. If Revere isn't going to be in the lineup on a regular basis it makes no sense to bring him up, he's certainly not the difference maker this team needs and to make him into one is counter productive in my mind.

Just like Dozier, Revere is no saviour, as soon as he went through a bad stretch or didn't provide what a lot of people so desperately want him to provide, he'd become just another pinata for the peanut gallery to take shots at.

powrwrap
04-29-2012, 10:09 AM
I am just wondering what everyone thinks of Ben Revere? I really like him and think he deserves the chance to start everyday.

I see his role as a late inning pinch runner, defensive replacement outfielder. I don't see him as a starter.

asmus_ndsu
04-29-2012, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=one_eyed_jack;13356

He can chase down balls in the gap that nobody else can get, but the tradeoff is that teams will take the extra base on his popgun arm all night long.

Unforunately, the position that's the best logical fit for him is LF, and that's occupied by Willingham.[/QUOTE]

Although i would like to see the stat that compares the ammount extra bases taken away (in comparison to league avg of) because of his range and fielding vs extra bases as a result of his weak arm

USAFChief
04-29-2012, 11:41 AM
It depresses me to think of Ben Revere as a starting OFer on my favorite baseball team.

Riverbrian
04-29-2012, 02:00 PM
It depresses me to think of Ben Revere as a starting OFer on my favorite baseball team.

Chief... you are a smart guy and I enjoy your posts. You know your stuff... With Revere it's the Eye of the Beholder thing. I look forward to Revere starting on my favorite baseball team.

I think Revere will hit plus .300... He will devolop a better batting eye and add more walks to his game. I think he will get better at gapping some balls at the major league level for more double and triples. I think he will reach on errors because of double clutches and hurried throws. I think he will make highlight reel catches. I think his arm strength will be minimized by playing LF and the range he has will allow the CF to shade toward RF to better support Willingham in RF. Yes Willingham in RF.

I think Revere has plenty to offer and I look forward to it. I just don't expect him to hit many (if any) dingers. Kind of like... I don't expect Adam Dunn to hit above .250. I guess it all depends on what you like in a ball player. I think he's a sparkplug and he can bat leadoff and even if he doesn't hit leadoff... It would be great to have a .300 hitter (with more walks when they come) in the the #9 spot for when the lineup turns over. The #9 spot is also a table setting spot.

Revere is fine in AAA to work on some things now but he is nearly ready and I'm ok with him right now in the majors as well.

TwinsGuy55422
04-29-2012, 03:19 PM
I do like Revere a lot, but agree with those that have said he should be refining his game in AAA right now. He can be a very effective MLB player if he raises his OBP and improves the quality of his at-bats so that he can utilize his speed on the basepaths. I like his attitude and work ethic and think he will improve his offense to the point where he will be an asset.

CJTwinsfan3121
04-30-2012, 01:44 PM
I Love ben Revere...I was at the game last year when he did a sumersault going to third.....they need to keep him up at the mlb level he is crazy fast and a good pinch runner...the bat will come with experience.

jeffk
04-30-2012, 02:03 PM
I think the theory the Twins have on this is that there's two possibilties for Revere: 1) he improves his OBP and could be a starting CF - although we already have Span or 2) he can stay as he is and be an above-average 4th OF but not a starter. They sent him down to see if (1) could be achieved with another year of work in the minors. I think that's reasonable.

StormJH1
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I Love ben Revere...I was at the game last year when he did a sumersault going to third.....they need to keep him up at the mlb level he is crazy fast and a good pinch runner...the bat will come with experience.
And how is he going to get that "experience" sitting on the bench and being used as a pinch runner?

That's exactly the point - sending him to AAA was necessary to allow him to play. He can't be a regular in the bigs right now, especially for a team like this. We "punt" offense at too many other positions to play a "Juan Pierre" type with no prayer of run production.

Plus, I'm not as convinced on his defense as others are. His arm is a MAJOR problem that is often discussed on these boards. But during his callup while Willingham was on paternity leave, he made some decisions that would've gotten Willingham or Doumit murdered had it been them out there. (Thinking specifically about one where he pulled up on a catch that Span routinely makes, and let it drop about 5 feet in front of him).

I think it's funny that in many ways, Ben Revere is basically Carlos Gomez, only with less power, and not as good of a defender. Gomez couldn't get on base, either, but he was an outstanding CF'er (at least in '08/'09, haven't seen him much since). Yet, the fans murdered Gomez because he was part of the Santana trade, and they like Revere because we drafted him and he "smiles" a lot.

30whales
04-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Chief... you are a smart guy and I enjoy your posts. You know your stuff... With Revere it's the Eye of the Beholder thing. I look forward to Revere starting on my favorite baseball team.

I think Revere will hit plus .300... He will devolop a better batting eye and add more walks to his game. I think he will get better at gapping some balls at the major league level for more double and triples. I think he will reach on errors because of double clutches and hurried throws. I think he will make highlight reel catches. I think his arm strength will be minimized by playing LF and the range he has will allow the CF to shade toward RF to better support Willingham in RF. Yes Willingham in RF.

I think Revere has plenty to offer and I look forward to it. I just don't expect him to hit many (if any) dingers. Kind of like... I don't expect Adam Dunn to hit above .250. I guess it all depends on what you like in a ball player. I think he's a sparkplug and he can bat leadoff and even if he doesn't hit leadoff... It would be great to have a .300 hitter (with more walks when they come) in the the #9 spot for when the lineup turns over. The #9 spot is also a table setting spot.

Revere is fine in AAA to work on some things now but he is nearly ready and I'm ok with him right now in the majors as well.

Anybody listen to KJ108 in Grand Forks?

glunn
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
This may sound crazy, but I would like to see if Revere could learn to play shortstop. He seems very athletic -- remember the somersault last year on the way to third base. And maybe his arm could work at shortstop. I realize that it might take a year or more to learn a new position, but it seems like he might make a great shortstop.

shs_59
05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I've always and continue to be a BIG Ben Revere fan.

He is what he is.

He's the perfect #8 or 9 hole hitter, who can occasionally spell the leadoff guy.
He's more of a #3 ofer or 4th ofer/ platoon starter.

He'll be batting in the 8 or 9 hole PERMENTLY before seasons end in the Twins' lineup. IMO

what i can't figure out is why everybody likes or thinks Plouffe deserves a shot. He did NOTHING his whole minor league career besides 1 little half season at AAA Rochester, Ben Revere was consistantly a good hitter in the Minors, Plouffe NEVER was.

Andrelton Simmons has 0 homers in his minor league career, ok that may be a stretch but he has NO POWER.......the Braves fans are talking and treating him like their future Derek Jeter (Simmons is in AA or AAA)...

Ben Revere despite no power CAN STILL BE A VERY VALUABLE PLAYER..... I"m long tired of the pitching to no power argument and that Revere will have to have and sustain a High BABIP, hitting for a high BABIP ,while tough in Revere's case, is a SKILL not a luck thing.

USAFChief
05-01-2012, 12:18 AM
This may sound crazy, but I would like to see if Revere could learn to play shortstop. He seems very athletic -- remember the somersault last year on the way to third base. And maybe his arm could work at shortstop. I realize that it might take a year or more to learn a new position, but it seems like he might make a great shortstop.

You're right. It's crazy.

Shane Wahl
05-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Revere can be a Twin in LF if:

1. The Twins trade Justin Morneau and move Willingham to DH
2. The Twins sign/develop another power hitter at 3B or RF (since Mauer will need to be at 1B some).

I am not against those things happening. I like Revere too and I certainly like him in the OF as a platoon partner for Plouffe. Problem is NOT in RF. That's where Willingham's inability to make a simple transition has caused a problem. A big problem too.

Riverbrian
05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
And how is he going to get that "experience" sitting on the bench and being used as a pinch runner?

That's exactly the point - sending him to AAA was necessary to allow him to play. He can't be a regular in the bigs right now, especially for a team like this. We "punt" offense at too many other positions to play a "Juan Pierre" type with no prayer of run production.

Plus, I'm not as convinced on his defense as others are. His arm is a MAJOR problem that is often discussed on these boards. But during his callup while Willingham was on paternity leave, he made some decisions that would've gotten Willingham or Doumit murdered had it been them out there. (Thinking specifically about one where he pulled up on a catch that Span routinely makes, and let it drop about 5 feet in front of him).

I think it's funny that in many ways, Ben Revere is basically Carlos Gomez, only with less power, and not as good of a defender. Gomez couldn't get on base, either, but he was an outstanding CF'er (at least in '08/'09, haven't seen him much since). Yet, the fans murdered Gomez because he was part of the Santana trade, and they like Revere because we drafted him and he "smiles" a lot.

BTW... I miss Gomez. IMO... Gomez was a case of being rushed. He wasn't ready for the bigs.

It wasn't the fans murdering Gomez... It was Gardy because of the bonehead stuff. He was 12 years old and in the majors because someone had to strap a uniform on... Just to represent the Santana deal. Span was MLB ready at the time. Gomez wasn't necessary.

Gomez shouldn't have been traded to Milwaukee. He should have been just arriving to the majors around the time of the trade. With the skill set that Gomez has. There is no way I trade him for an oft injured low on base SS.