PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Inge

spideyo
04-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Future Twin? Waddaya think?

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Is this a joke? If not... No. Absolutely not. I'd rather spend the time failing to develop Valencia into a starting Third Baseman. Maybe Deibinson Romero is the answer. Maybe Ryan is signing Inge as we speak.. uugghh...

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Future Twin? Waddaya think?

Dear Spideyo, I have rethought my stance. Inge is the equivalent of Valencia offensively and most definitely his defensive superior. Sign him up! We have no replacement for 2-3 years as Sano is that player.

Rosterman
04-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Plus we get a backup catcher!

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Plus we get a backup catcher!

Good Point!!!

ashburyjohn
04-26-2012, 06:22 PM
You'd think it might humble Valencia enough to make him coachable. "They're thinking of replacing me with HIM???" But if Sean Burroughs didn't do the trick, I'm not thinking Inge would either.

Riverbrian
04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Inge would be interesting. Can play 3b and C plus 2B. He would make more sense than Burroughs. I wouldn't expect too much hitting out of him but as a backup he can handle multiple positions.

What I wouldnt like about Inge is this. The obvious perceptions that the Twins are Comerica Park dumpster divers. That gives me the willy's.

Once you get all the banana peels and coffee grounds scraped off your clothing. Inge would be a decent fit.

One last thing. I'd rather have Eldred. Big time Power. I think he should have had a decent sized MLB chance long ago.

Highabove
04-26-2012, 06:26 PM
I thought this was a rebuilding year?

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I thought this was a rebuilding year?

It certainly is, but without a 3B for the future, which Valencia is not, you need to find filler until the suitable replacement is found.

spideyo
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
The only way I can see it working is if we cut Burroughs. It might not be a significant offensive improvement, but at least he'd be able to back up several spots (and keep Butera in AAA)

In the Strib article, it was suggested that we could send Valencia down and platoon Burroughs and Inge, but that doesn't make any sense to me. I'm pretty sure Valencia is out of options, and if someone grabbed Hughes, someone is definitely gonna grab Valencia. Besides, as much as I think Danny isn't performing up to expectations, why in the hell would you keep Burroughs over him?

spideyo
04-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Inge would be interesting. Can play 3b and C plus 2B. He would make more sense than Burroughs. I wouldn't expect too much hitting out of him but as a backup he can handle multiple positions.

What I wouldnt like about Inge is this. The obvious perceptions that the Twins are Comerica Park dumpster divers. That gives me the willy's.

Once you get all the banana peels and coffee grounds scraped off your clothing. Inge would be a decent fit.

One last thing. I'd rather have Eldred. Big time Power. I think he should have had a decent sized MLB chance long ago.

Couldn't we just pretend we traded Delmon Young for Thomas and Inge?

Top Gun
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Keep want we got and forget about the has beens.

Mchans24
04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Inge would be a good fit. Our kind of player, send Valencia down as he has options left. If he doesn't figure it out, cut him. If Burroughs continues to struggle cut him as well and bring up Dozier to play short at all star break. Trade Carrol to contender at deadline for any big league starter who throws over 88mph and breathing!! Lmao I know Carroll won't bring that but we might lose 100 games if we don't find a couple starters to get some outs!!

Riverbrian
04-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Couldn't we just pretend we traded Delmon Young for Thomas and Inge?

Too late... I've already pretended that we gave 15 dollars to the tigers to take Delmon Young.

twinsnorth49
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Too late... I've already pretended that we gave 15 dollars to the tigers to take Delmon Young.

THAT MUCH!!??................you got pretend hosed.

Riverbrian
04-26-2012, 09:03 PM
THAT MUCH!!??................you got pretend hosed.

lol!!! No that was actually the removal of the hose!!!

twinsnorth49
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm not crazy about it but it might give us a bit of stability at 3rd, get rid of the Butera nonsense and wake Valencia the hell up!!! Burroughs sure isn't the answer and in-house help is a couple of years away.

Still, I feel a little dirty.:p

rogrulz30
04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
SIGN BRANDON INGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can stop writing about how much I hate Valencia, the worst 3B in the league. Inge is the perfect fit over Valencia, we can also stop hearing about, and writing about Butera as well. This is a win win.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
04-27-2012, 07:44 AM
This is a pretty funny thread. Inge is not a back-up option at Catcher. He hasn't been behind the plate since 2008, and probably lost his job with the Tigers in part because he wasn't able to be an option there. They had been trying him at 2B, and while his defense is above average (pretty good, actually), his bat is not. I think Dave Dombroski is trolling the Twins. Inge is much worse statistically compared to the existing 3B options on the Twins' Roster. As much as people want to hate on Valencia, Inge is not an improvement. At this point in his career, he's a light hitting Adam Everett.

EDITED to add - of course, as soon as I say all that, I read that a "Twins' Source is saying that pursuit of Inge will begin in earnest today."

Riverbrian
04-27-2012, 08:29 AM
This is a pretty funny thread. Inge is not a back-up option at Catcher. He hasn't been behind the plate since 2008, and probably lost his job with the Tigers in part because he wasn't able to be an option there. They had been trying him at 2B, and while his defense is above average (pretty good, actually), his bat is not. I think Dave Dombroski is trolling the Twins. Inge is much worse statistically compared to the existing 3B options on the Twins' Roster. As much as people want to hate on Valencia, Inge is not an improvement. At this point in his career, he's a light hitting Adam Everett.

EDITED to add - of course, as soon as I say all that, I read that a "Twins' Source is saying that pursuit of Inge will begin in earnest today."

I agree however you are wrong. Everything you say is true but not quite.

Inge could still be the third catcher in case Doumit slips on a patch of ice In the 8th inning and Mauer is DH. Inge shouldn't replace Velencia but he could replace Burroughs.

I'm not saying I'm for this... Just saying I can see a roster fit.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
It is probably not a stretch to say that Inge could be an emergency Catcher, but I can't see him being used there as a viable backup option. It's not reason enough to add him to the roster.
I looked closer at Inge Vs. Valencia - in terms of hitting, Danny has been putrid this year, and was below average last year - while Inge seems to be in a bit of free fall. However, they are pretty similar at the moment. The questions would be - can Valencia improve? Will Inge stop getting worse and level off?
I think Inge is probably better than Burroughs as the last man off the bench. The reason (I'm guessing) that Burroughs was on the 25 man was that he's a Left Handed bench bat. Doumit or Parmalee (whichever isn't starting that day) can take those at bats if Inge is on the team.

I also see a fit, but it seems like a move just for the sake of looking like something is being done. I don't know if it sends a message to players.

Last thing, would you rather have Inge or Luke Hughes?

Thrylos
04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Inge is 35 and he has been on the south side of his career with the bat ever since they started testing for steroids. Has been under the Mendoza line for the last 3-4 seasons and the last couple seasons he's been fighting the Butera line.

No thank you. (Let's sign Juan Rincon too ;) he is attempting a comeback)

On the other hand, Delmon might be a free agent soon too :)

twinsnorth49
04-27-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm starting to get depressed that we've reached a 22 post discussion on whether Brandon Inge is the way to improve our ballclub right now...................seriously, Brandon Inge, that's thoroughly depressing.:p:p

stringer bell
04-27-2012, 09:30 AM
The idea was that Burroughs could pinch hit. He did a lot of that last year, with decent success IIRC. Burroughs hasn't had enough PAs especially as a pinch hitter to prove anything. So far, though, the results aren't promising.

SirLoin
04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
One could say Burroughs is a poor man's Brandon Inge with less power and position flexibility. Seems like a viable option for some power of the bench. Why not?

ashburyjohn
04-27-2012, 10:06 AM
One could say Burroughs is a poor man's Brandon Inge

And Inge is a poor man's baseball player.

mike wants wins
04-27-2012, 10:14 AM
DUMBEST. IDEA. EVER. This team is not going to playoffs. You want to spend millions of dollars on a 34 year old? They should be shedding contracts, and saving that money to sign legit FAs next year. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. Unreal.

Mr. Ed
04-27-2012, 10:20 AM
DUMBEST. IDEA. EVER. This team is not going to playoffs. You want to spend millions of dollars on a 34 year old? They should be shedding contracts, and saving that money to sign legit FAs next year. I can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea. Unreal.

Thanks, Mike. I don't see the need for it. Simply because, what good does it do? Only minute possibility is that Inge plays, improves his value, gets traded,nets a prospect.

That's a stretch.

As for signing legit FAs, I'll be impressed when they do. Willingham was a big undertaking that way. Seem to shy away from the REAL splashy FA signings, and I don't thing that will change.

Thrylos
04-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately, Mackey has a post up (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Other_teams_are_expected_to_start_monitoring_Liria no_more_closely042712)at ESPN 1500 saying that the Twins are looking at the possibility to sign him...

greengoblinrulz
04-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Inge is also considered a great clubhouse leader. Now, Im not that interested in that ( I want production), but several people are.
In addition to his position flexibility is his ability to play the OF.
If Im Inge, do I want to go to MN or find a team that is gonna compete & could use his excellent defense as a backup option.

nicksaviking
04-27-2012, 10:41 AM
If Inge comes at the expense of Burroughs, who cares? Neither brings much to the plate but Inge can back up 2B as well as let the second catcher come into a late game situation to pinch hit. There is never any reason for the 3rd catcher ever to play unless an unlikely injury happens to starting catcher and the 2nd is the DH or already pinch hit. The scenario is so unlikely it should make a 3rd catcher irrelevant anyway put Inge can at least give some peace of mind.

Like I said swap him in for Burroughs, sure, both are has-beens who likely have nothing to contribute what's the big deal? I wouldn't send Valencia down to do it though. If everyone is tired of him, just wait until his bat heats up a little and start shopping him. Young controlable thirdbaseman always have some value. He wont be cold forever, it's baseball, guys get streaky.

A platoon of Burroughs and Inge would be asinine though. If taking Valencia out of the equation is the master plan, why not move Carroll over to 3B and call up Dozier? We're rebuilding, not restocking with decrepit vets, no organization needs Burroughs and Inge, let alone a young one.

mike wants wins
04-27-2012, 10:50 AM
MILLIONS of dollars that could be spent on something else, or inge, who doesn't help them make the playoffs? I don't understand, can anyone explain this to me?

LimestoneBaggy
04-27-2012, 11:00 AM
MILLIONS of dollars

There's been a couple of posts about paying him millions? Unless I'm missing something (and I certainly could be), Detroit would be on the hook for his salary, and unless we agreed to more, we could pay him major league minimum or a minor league contract (if he would accept it) and bolster the Wings. If we can pay him minimum, I take him. Otherwise, it's a pass.

mike wants wins
04-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I thought if you claimed a guy, you took his contract.....or did he pass through waivers? In which case, I could care less if it is him or Burrhoughs....If I'm all messed up on this, I apologize...

TwinVike61
04-27-2012, 11:11 AM
MILLIONS of dollars that could be spent on something else, or inge, who doesn't help them make the playoffs? I don't understand, can anyone explain this to me?

I thought I read that Detroit will still be on the hook for his $5M salary this year but I'm not sure.

StormJH1
04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Thank you. Inge is a catcher the same way Doumit is a catcher, except that Doumit has played more in the last few years. This argument that we need 5 different bench guys who are emergency catchers is kind of like saying the Vikings should make sure their next free agent WR was also a quarterback in high school (Willingham has 15 MLB games as a catcher, btw!).

Inge is basically Drew Butera-bad at the plate right now. Yes, his 3B defense is good, but he's 35 years old. You don't solve the Valencia problem with more washed up utility players...I'd even rather see Burroughs every day than this.

The Comerica Park dumpster diving comment above was funny, but it actually has gone both ways. They got Delmon, Jacque Jones (indirectly) and Adam Everett from us, and we've had Craig Monroe, Oliveros, maybe Inge, and probably countless others I'm forgetting.

Even as he sucked in Detroit, he still had his following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSJhqugGprU

spideyo
04-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I thought I read that Detroit will still be on the hook for his $5M salary this year but I'm not sure.

Whoever Inge signed with would only be responsible for a pro-rated portion of the Major League Minimum ($414,000). How big that portion is would depend on exactly when they signed him. All the other guaranteed money in his contract would be Detroit's responsibility.

So let's recap a few of our options:
Inge replaces Valencia - stupid, bad idea.

Inge replaces Burroughs - More position flexibility, offensively it's incredibly hard to predict at this point but probably about an even swap

Inge takes the spot Hughes had - He basically would fill the same role Hughes had, backing up multiple positions and adding a right handed bat to the bench, just a decade older and wiser. This would probably mean we send either Revere or Plouffe down to AAA to refine their game. Probably not worth it.

Inge agrees to go to Rochester - Incredibly unlikely, but if we could pull it off would be a pretty damn good deal. He may be in an inevitable free-fall to retirement, but he has had a pretty good career, and could be a very good mentor for some of our young guys, especially guys like Plouffe who are asked to switch positions. It also would definitely put pressure on Valencia and Burroughs if they knew Inge was just below them in AAA waiting for another shot at the bigs.

powrwrap
04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Inge or Valencia?
Valencia or Inge?
Inge or Valencia?
Valencia or Inge?
Inge or Valencia?
Valencia or Inge?

[brain goes into recurrent loop contemplating the choice, self destructs...]

woolhouse
04-27-2012, 03:15 PM
If we sign Inge, can we get him a size-bigger-than-he-wears-now jersey so he can improv his .OPS with some timely HBPs?

Boom Boom
04-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Inge is a pretty good fielder with a terrible bat. Gardy's favorite kind of player.

ltwedt
04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Inge = better than Valencia in so many ways -- better hitter, better defensively, better in the clubhouse, better tats, better, better, better - pull the trigger on this now and get Danny-boy outa here!

StormJH1
04-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Inge = better than Valencia in so many ways -- better hitter, better defensively, better in the clubhouse, better tats, better, better, better - pull the trigger on this now and get Danny-boy outa here!
Respectfully disagree. Especially on the hitting part. I'm not sure if you have a specific version of Inge in mind from year's past, but you realize that Inge was so bad last year, that he didn't crack the Mendoza line in half a season? That he couldn't beat out guys like Ryan Raburn and a number of other dudes who weren't even real 3rd basemen? That they traded for Wilson Betemit (then dumped him after the season) specifically so they wouldn't HAVE to give Inge time at 3B? Inge has had a little bit of power, at times. He's never been able to hit for any acceptable level of contact. He's kind of like a nightmare version of J.J. Hardy's game, for those unfamiliar.

Fans here don't like Valencia because he's different, and probably sort of an ass, plain and simple. So what? For all the problems with WAR (Wins Above Replacement) as a statistic, at least it doesn't try to figure in "clubhouse presence" into how many wins a player is worth.

PopRiveter
04-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Spideyo nailed it. Personally, the thought of Inge taking starts from anyone one the current roster makes me throw up in my mouth a little. His career line .234/.304/.387 is bad enough, but it has been in decline.
In 2011, it was .197/.265/.283.
By comparison, Valencia's line was .246/.294/.383
If Valencia is on the bubble after his 2011 and poor 2012 start, Inge clearly isn't an MLB caliber player anymore.

powrwrap
04-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Inge = better than Valencia in so many ways -- better hitter, better defensively,

Not sure about better hitter. Inge's career line: .234/.304/.387; Valencia's is .265/.308/.400. Inge's strikeout rate is 26%; Valencia is about 18%. It would seem that Valencia sees the ball better.

I'm not sure how you would prove he's a better fielder. They look pretty similar.

Thrylos
04-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Just heard Gardenhire on the radio saying that "he always liked Inge", "he wants him on the team", "he is a gamer", "he can hit, he can catch"...

God Save the Queen

Riverbrian
04-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Inge could only be signed for backup duty. Burroughs would be shown the door. That is the only way it makes sense.

Inge as a starter, everyday type. No Way...

As a backup his multi positional value is what makes him interesting... Emergency Catcher... to help calm "the Fear" 3B, 2B and 1B. As a Backup... More value then Burroughs.

scottz
04-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Just kick me in the balls already and scrape me off the ground when the season is over. What a farce to, boy oh boy, get Brandon Freaking Inge on the squad. Boy that'll learn that Valencia to be so smug, won't it?

For anyone who doesn't understand people, when you try to motivate someone like Valencia (if we can agree he is flamboyant and at least a little arrogant) by showing them someone not clearly better and saying "that guy is going to take your job", you will get no improvement. A guy like Valencia will see the lesser player (currently Burroughs, now perhaps Inge), and know that if you actually go ahead and replace him, you are shooting yourself in the foot, and he'll shake his head at how stupid you are for doing it. He certainly isn't going to bear down.

Anyway, once we sign Inge, just track me down and tell me it is time, then make it a good square shot to the boys as hard as you can. I'll be the guy in the fetal position.

powrwrap
04-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Just kick me in the balls already and scrape me off the ground when the season is over. What a farce to, boy oh boy, get Brandon Freaking Inge on the squad. Boy that'll learn that Valencia to be so smug, won't it?

Anyway, once we sign Inge, just track me down and tell me it is time, then make it a good square shot to the boys as hard as you can. I'll be the guy in the fetal position.

I hear ya. If the Twins sign Inge it will be as if they planted a giant flag in the ground marked "Yes, We've Sunk This Low."

mike wants wins
04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Inge is terrible. I don't get how this helps, this year, or the future. Gardy's quotes remind me of why I don't believe in him and the FO right now. I hope I'm wrong. I can't wait to read Seth or Bonnes' take on this....

woolhouse
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
It makes perfect sense, mathematically. The team you're trying to catch in the standings drops players for underperforming. If you pick them up and have them start, you're going to be at their level in no-time.

woolhouse
04-29-2012, 10:32 AM
Wait... I think my calculator is broken...

Riverbrian
04-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Wait... I think my calculator is broken...

Nice Post... Made me Laugh...

Seth Stohs
04-29-2012, 02:27 PM
It has now been confirmed that Inge will be signed by the A's. Great news for the Twins. Inge served zero purpose here. Bad news (in all likelihood) for Luke Hughes.

darin617
04-29-2012, 03:43 PM
It has now been confirmed that Inge will be signed by the A's. Great news for the Twins. Inge served zero purpose here. Bad news (in all likelihood) for Luke Hughes.

Any chance when Hughes is placed on waivers the Twins reclaim him and try to send him to Rochester?

glunn
04-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Valencia had a good game today -- 3 for 4 and 2 RBI. Maybe he can build on that.

ashburyjohn
04-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Any chance when Hughes is placed on waivers the Twins reclaim him and try to send him to Rochester?

Can Oakland claim him when he's sent down?

spideyo
04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
If you claim someone on waivers, don't you have to immediately put them on the 25 man?

Seth Stohs
04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
If you claim someone on waivers, don't you have to immediately put them on the 25 man?

Or immediately put him on waivers.

twinsnorth49
04-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Valencia had a good game today -- 3 for 4 and 2 RBI. Maybe he can build on that.

Has been solid in the field of late as well, which is very encouraging, other than that slightly goofy throw to 1st he played well, nice around the horn 5-4-3 double play he started. I'm reservedly excited.

Riverbrian
04-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Has been solid in the field of late as well, which is very encouraging, other than that slightly goofy throw to 1st he played well, nice around the horn 5-4-3 double play he started. I'm reservedly excited.

No complaints from me. He's been taking his focusing meds.

Mchans24
05-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Oakland 6-1 since signing and he hit a walk off slam last night! Maybe he's got some JUICE left?

powrwrap
05-09-2012, 05:09 PM

He's 2 for 25 since then, so no, he's not going to build on it. Bench him already!

powrwrap
05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Oakland 6-1 since signing and he hit a walk off slam last night! Maybe he's got some JUICE left?

He's 5 for 28 since he joined Oakland. Maybe the Blue Jays closer, Francisco Cordero with his 9.54 ERA and 2.29 WHIP is just a lousy closer and has been demoted to other bullpen duties.

Mchans24
05-15-2012, 12:26 AM
He's 5 for 28 since he joined Oakland. Maybe the Blue Jays closer, Francisco Cordero with his 9.54 ERA and 2.29 WHIP is just a lousy closer and has been demoted to other bullpen duties.

It was a joke buddy. Although I think he went four straight games with at least 3 hits over the weekend.

Mchans24
05-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Four homers and 17 RBI in eleven games would have been a bit of an upgrade over Plouffe/Valencia.

Shane Wahl
05-15-2012, 01:01 AM
Four homers and 17 RBI in eleven games would have been a bit of an upgrade over Plouffe/Valencia.

Haha. But that would involve signing somebody who clearly is not in the "rebuild" plan, even though he would be by getting playing time and then trading him. !!!

snepp
05-15-2012, 04:12 AM
No one is going to trade anything for Inge. Every team in the league had a shot to claim him for free on waivers and they all passed.

twinsnorth49
05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
No one is going to trade anything for Inge. Every team in the league had a shot to claim him for free on waivers and they all passed.

Exactly, why would anyone give up something of remote value for Inge?

Top Gun
05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Just watch the Twins sign him next winter for a multa year contract.

Mchans24
05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
If Inge continues to hit and drive in runs he will have value at deadline, Billy Beane is not a dumb man!!

snepp
05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
If Diamond throws a shutout every single start he'll be the greatest pitcher in the history of the game.