PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take To Question Your Own Fandom?

LimestoneBaggy
04-26-2012, 04:38 PM
After pleasantly perusing the site since its inception, I've noticed a severe souring of the community's collective outlook. I noticed this myself as I watched the latest foray into pitching hell. It's made me wonder; how bad would it have to be for me to stop watching/listening/gamedaying (made up words are fun)? With our diverse group, what say ye?

For me, I'm too much of a homer. All the "fire this guy"/"drop that guy" talk is completely opposite of my thoughts (perhaps valid commentary, but not my perpective). I'm watching every game I can, right down to where we call up BJ or Tim for a spot start.....it could happen, or maybe we get this thing turned around. The worse we are, the cheaper the tickets, the better the draft picks, right?

and go.....

twinsnorth49
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Couldn't question my fandom, I love the Twins....Win or Lose.

Although I don't agree with the negative Nellie/Chicken Little crowd, I don't question their fanhood, they comment because they care, just like everybody who belongs to sites like these.

TwinVike61
04-26-2012, 04:49 PM
For me, as last year's Titanic season scraped past the iceberg and started to list, I would make less of an effort to check the gameday updates during my busy evenings with family and during the inevitable conclusion of Tolbert-Tosoni-Butera-Repko-Hohum I would just check the box scores in the morning paper.

I'm definately not there this year as the offense has shown at times that they may be able to overcome the starting pitching ineptitudeness (is that a made up word?)

Thrylos
04-26-2012, 05:12 PM
I love the Twins win and lose. Period. I watch every single game ableit 10% canned.

However, I would like them to win and I cannot stand it when they lose. When there are specific reasons why the lose (IMHO) I open my mouth about it. So when I think that this team needs severe change on the top, I say it because I love them and I want them to win, not because there is a "bandwagon" and I am off it. Nope. I don't get the fans who accept loss after loss after loss and are happy with the people who are ruining their team. I suspect that they are the same funs who go to the ballgames and sit by the concession stands and talk about food and beer instead of watching the game.

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 05:15 PM
With every off season hope is renewed and it is a fresh start. Unlike the 2001-2010 off seasons, there did not seem to be a fathomable reason to believe we would have much more than a 70-80 win season coming into this year. One could hope that our offense would improve because of health even with the loss of Cuddyer and Kubel, but the pitching was an open wound that you just had this feeling would fester for a while. By not claiming the Ultimate Baseball Trophy, I can understand the bitterness of an opportunity lost by most passionate Twin's Fans in those 11 seasons, but it is not easy and most times takes a bit of luck. The 2006 season is my lost opportunity season. It is going to take awhile for the Twin's to revamp their pitching and we probably won't see .500 for a bit of time. You have to then disassociate yourself form W's & L's and focus on other achievements like Good Offense, individual successes, and the development of younger prospects turning into very good Major leaguers to bide your time between playoff contending seasons. Hopefully the last 2 and following 2 years can bring some good pitching prospects through the draft who can make a difference sooner than later. Me myself, am a baseball fan first and a Twins fan 2nd and I think I can say, for me at least, that you have to enjoy a bad losing season before you can truly enjoy a winning one.

twinsnorth49
04-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I. I don't get the fans who accept loss after loss after loss and are happy with the people who are ruining their team. I suspect that they are the same funs who go to the ballgames and sit by the concession stands and talk about food and beer instead of watching the game.

So essentially you don't understand fans who don't agree with you?

Fans enjoy the Twins and baseball in a variety of ways, your way doesn't make you more of a fan or a better one. That's how you come across.......just saying.

Top Gun
04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
I have listen to just about every game the Twins have played since 1961 so guess I will listen to a few more.

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
I have listen to just about every game the Twins have played since 1961 so guess I will listen to a few more.

Awesome! I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge on the subject of Twins History and that could be to the benefit of most of us. I am sure that everyone who has posted to this thread will watch or listen to the game also.

KNine
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
So essentially you don't understand fans who don't agree with you?

Fans enjoy the Twins and baseball in a variety of ways, your way doesn't make you more of a fan or a better one. That's how you come across.......just saying.

What he (^) said.

Here's hoping for a combination of really good individual performances, a handful of good games and/or a few weeks of success to happen for the good guys to turn it around!!! I would hope the contributors here who are "just calling it like I see it" are as quick to turn (and post) for the Twins, both individually and collectively, as they have been to turn against them... though that's usually not the case. :confused:

Steve Lein
04-26-2012, 06:20 PM
There are definitely different types of fans, but that is what makes a site like this great, getting them all together to voice their opinions and have discussions. Like twinsnorth49 says, if you weren't a fan who cares, why would you post here?

I'm behind this team 100%, 100% of the time. But because of that, I'm certainly going to voice any frustrations I have with them and my displeasure with their losses, but in the same way that I'm going to celebrate their successes and victories.

Personally, I came into this season with little expectations. I thought the Twins could be decent, maybe even contend in the AL Central if everything went right, but realistically, that just isn't possible. I'd prefer to just enjoy watching the games, and hope they score some runs and make it entertaining, but my fandom doesn't necessarily allow that to happen either. Letting Luke Hughes go irritated me. The ineptitude of the pitching staff irritates me. Not getting a runner in from 3rd with nobody out and your 3-4-5 hitters due up irritates me. But I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" if those things didn't.

Riverbrian
04-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I watch the games and if I can't watch the games... I'm thinking about what is going on in the game. Each individual player is a story in itself. Different skill sets and different results but each player paid dues in the minors at near slave wages to get here and each player faces competition at the highest level competing against them to produce failure on the field and talent challenging them from below to take their jobs. Tack on to that fans like us who are ready to say that Blackburn Sucks even though Blackburn has accomplished more just to get to the majors then anyone of the people saying Blackburn sucks could dream of accomplishing. For some of these guys... The baseball window is small and closing. I dont begrudge the salary and business side of baseball because of what they go thru in the minors... Baseball is flat out drama.

Baseball is Reality TV at its best... Forget Survivor, Ice Road Truckers or the real housewives of Wherever. Baseball is reality TV. Unscripted and Beautiful. The Twins are my team and each player plays for me. I was sad to see Hughes DFA'd. Revere sent down to AAA broke my heart. I want this team to perform at the highest level. The only players that bother me are the players who I think don't try as hard as they can. Delmon Young was the only Twin I've given up on. I haven't given up on Velencia yet.

This is my team. I win with them... I lose with them.

TwinsTakes-RD
04-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I can't imagine anything stopping me from being a Twins fan! I try to watch every game, at the game, live on TV or a recording of it. At one of my Fantasy Football drafts, I recorded the Twins game and someone checked their phone and said what the score was and I said I had recorded the game. They asked why I would record the Twins game since they were having a horrible season. Why not?

There's always a reason to watch in my opinion. I say "any pitch, any player" because any player can make a great play on any pitch and anything can happen in a given baseball game. You could see a no-hitter, a triple-play, someone hit for the cycle or hit 4 home runs, Ben Revere execute a somersault between 2nd & 3rd base, a great defensive play or Mike Redmond hit a triple! Why wouldn't you watch? The last game of last season was one of the best games I've ever seen! A 1-0 game with a Trevor Plouffe walk-off hit to end the season!

I think the only thing that could make me think hard about being a Twins fan is if the players weren't out there playing hard every game. I can't stand when fans say they are done with this team because they are losing. Why are you a fan if you can't even last through the first 20 games of a 162-game season? They can do whatever they want but to me, if they players haven't given up than why should I?

TwinsFanLV
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm voting with my wallet. Off this weekend to see another 2 Class "A" California League games and spend my money there. Won't be travelling to Target Field this year. Won't return until the owners remove the culture of losing that permeates the franchise. I'll drive 4 hours each way, won't pay to park and my ticket will cost $8-$12.

Won't be buying my 15 year old Twin sons replica Twins jerseys for their BDay this year, even though last years jerseys are too small. You wouldn't believe me if I told you their names, but they rhyme.

USAFChief
04-26-2012, 07:36 PM
I question my fandom after every loss..."why do I put myself through this?" And then I'm back watching, or listening, or checking the box score for the next days game.

I've done that since 1963, when my dad took me to my first game at the Met. I can honestly say I don't think there's been a Twins game since then that I didn't watch, listen to, or check on as soon as possible afterwards (because there was something that prevented me from watching or listening.) I followed religiously through some pretty lean times. Rejoiced over 2 world series wins, literally cried after one world series loss. I found a way to follow them through 11+ years overseas, including in the early 80's when my mother in law (bless her heart) would tape games on cassettes and mail them to me so I could listen to a few. I've sat on my rooftop trying to get better "skip" from an AM station in Lexington Nebraska because the Twins were playing the Royals and those were the days before the internet and cable TV. I've seen the Twins play in over a dozen different stadiums, and will add to that total in Seattle a little over a week from now...meeting my son (who I infected with Twins fanaticsm...sorry son) who will be TDY there (can't wait!).

The bottom line is, I love baseball, but I particularly love the Twins. I enjoy watching them win more than I enjoy watching them lose, but I'll end up watching tomorrow no matter what happens today. So I reserve the right to batch a little if I think they could be doing things that make winning more likely. To each his own.

I also want to say that I am grateful to Seth, Nick, John and Parker for putting a site like this together where I can share my fandom with all of you'se guys. and gals.

twinsnorth49
04-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm voting with my wallet. Off this weekend to see another 2 Class "A" California League games and spend my money there. Won't be travelling to Target Field this year. Won't return until the owners remove the culture of losing that permeates the franchise. I'll drive 4 hours each way, won't pay to park and my ticket will cost $8-$12.

Won't be buying my 15 year old Twin sons replica Twins jerseys for their BDay this year, even though last years jerseys are too small. You wouldn't believe me if I told you their names, but they rhyme.

I applaud your full and utter commitment to non-fandom. To not only disavow the team yourself but to also force your kids to disown them as well, that my friend is full on Chicken and the Pig stuff.

Just to be clear, Twins Win= good, will cheer or at least politely clap, Twins lose= completely lose the ability to have rational thoughts and descend into bitter, jaded, cynical abyss because Joe Mauer hasn't hit the ball at the right time often enough in the last 19 games and Jim Pohlad refuses to have a public execution outside Target Field involving Terry Ryan, Ron Gardenhire and anyone else who doesn't actually play in the game but is somehow responsible for pitchers who don't know what a strike zone is despite miraculously reaching the major league level.

But hey, it takes all kinds, who am I to judge (and I'm not), I just like drinking beer while watching grown men play a child's game.......isn't that really what it's about?

Riverbrian
04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
I question my fandom after every loss..."why do I put myself through this?" And then I'm back watching, or listening, or checking the box score for the next days game.

I've done that since 1963, when my dad took me to my first game at the Met. I can honestly say I don't think there's been a Twins game since then that I didn't watch, listen to, or check on as soon as possible afterwards (because there was something that prevented me from watching or listening.) I followed religiously through some pretty lean times. Rejoiced over 2 world series wins, literally cried after one world series loss. I found a way to follow them through 11+ years overseas, including in the early 80's when my mother in law (bless her heart) would tape games on cassettes and mail them to me so I could listen to a few. I've sat on my rooftop trying to get better "skip" from an AM station in Lexington Nebraska because the Twins were playing the Royals and those were the days before the internet and cable TV. I've seen the Twins play in over a dozen different stadiums, and will add to that total in Seattle a little over a week from now...meeting my son (who I infected with Twins fanaticsm...sorry son) who will be TDY there (can't wait!).

The bottom line is, I love baseball, but I particularly love the Twins. I enjoy watching them win more than I enjoy watching them lose, but I'll end up watching tomorrow no matter what happens today. So I reserve the right to batch a little if I think they could be doing things that make winning more likely. To each his own.

I also want to say that I am grateful to Seth, Nick, John and Parker for putting a site like this together where I can share my fandom with all of you'se guys. and gals.

Guys like us shouldn't ever be accused of jumping off the bandwagon... We are the bandwagon... Enjoy Seattle... Check out Pike Place before the game. Forget the fish tossing... Just enjoy the food... It's a better value then the Safeco Sushi.

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Damn, Gee whiz. There has been a lot of heartbreaking posts put on this thread. I am authentically compassionate to all of your plights. Someday the Twins will be good again. Not today, not tomorrow, not even next year... but maybe the next... maybe the one after that. At least our hometown team has won the big one - 2 times!!! Baseball has its ebbs and flows, Baseball can hurt like a lost love interest, Baseball can hurt like a never ending headache, baseball can damn well suck the life out of you. The Twins have been competitive for 11 years. That is awesome right? Right now it is our time to not be very good. We will have our day again. This I promise,

USAFChief
04-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Guys like us shouldn't ever be accused of jumping off the bandwagon... We are the bandwagon... Enjoy Seattle... Check out Pike Place before the game. Forget the fish tossing... Just enjoy the food... It's a better value then the Safeco Sushi.

I've actually been to Safeco, just didn't see the Twins there.

Wasn't all that impressed with the place.

rogrulz30
04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
I am a fan no matter what, there will always be players, managers, owners, GM's that I really like and don't like. I have an option to write about whatever I want hear and listen to Twins fans takes. It is fun, I love the Twins good or bad, if bad I can try and figure what went wrong and complain about something.

Ultima Ratio
04-26-2012, 10:05 PM
What would question my fandom????

A: A wildly attractive woman wearing a White Sox jersey, rubbing on my leg. I'd question my allegiances for some moments... then snap out of it. :)

twinsnorth49
04-26-2012, 10:25 PM

A: A wildly attractive woman wearing a White Sox jersey, rubbing on my leg. I'd question my allegiances for some moments... then snap out of it. :)

Ok, time to snap out of it now, the rubbing your leg part is creeping us out!:eek::p.............oh and the Chi-Sox jersey is too.

Bark's Lounge
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Wait! Don't judge too fast. She might have a Vienna Hot beef sandwich waiting for you or better... a Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.... yummmmm!

Riverbrian
04-26-2012, 10:33 PM

lol... Yeah that would make me say "put it on the board... Yes".

I would also snap out of it by thinking "touch em all".

Cody Christie
04-26-2012, 10:37 PM
I think being really bad last year has helped me to take a more calm approach to the entire situation this year. I am going to go to games and watch as many games as I can on TV. If I am in my car, I listen to them on the radio. Baseball is a wonderful game and the Twins are the team I have picked to love. I am dedicated to the team through thick and thin, for better or worse, until death do us part.

Nick Nelson
04-27-2012, 01:21 AM
This is a pretty great thread. Love seeing all the perspectives.

Kirby_Waved_At_Me
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
When the Twins won in 87 and 91 I was old enough that I still remember watching the games, but I have more vivd memories of the really lean years in the mid 90's after Puckett and Hrbek retired and we were left cheering for some pretty terrible teams - last year and this year have almost (Almost!) felt nostalgic for me.
I went to a lot of those games at the Dome where the Twins looked more like the Minnesota Gophers than an MLB team, but I still had a lot of fun. It makes the last year and a half easier to take for me - it feels familiar in some ways.
I would only question my allegiance to the Twins if they decided to become openly racist or replace the 7th inning stetch with a ceremonial release of wasps in the outfield.

CDog
04-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Seinfeld has a bit about why we cheer for the home team. The players are always changing, they typically don't have any real connection to the area or the team other than circumstance. His punchline is that "essentially we're just cheering for laundry." That is, the guy in the home-town clothes versus the "same" guy in the visiting clothes. I really try not to fall into that trap. Along those lines, somewhere I stopped being invested in the Vikings as they paraded criminals, jerks, and punks through the roster. The Timberwolves have twice gone through phases that basically made me unable to cheer for them. Neither of those had anything to do with wins and losses. So I suppose a similar situation could happen with the Twins that would turn me off to some extent. But I don't think there's an amount of losing that will bring the fandom into question.

wblmayo24
04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I would never stop following them, I would keep my fandom to myself if they were 0-161 going into the last game. I also dislike (read: f-ing hate) reading about all the negative comments and complaints about our favorite 9, so when I visit this amazing site, I read the articles but don't read the comments because my face gets Gardy-like. I will never leave the bandwagon and as we go through our down years in the cycle I will continue gamedaying and screaming at the screen/yelling at the radio, etc.

Boom Boom
04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Since July of last year I haven't bought tickets to any Twins games. I have gone to a couple, when the tickets were free. When watching from home I've been tending to flip the channel after the 3rd inning (usually because the Twins are down by several runs). I still consider myself a fan, but I've got no reason to dedicate time and money to a product that I don't feel is worth it. I'd say I'm a bandwagon fan, and I don't think anybody should be sorry for jumping off recently.

gil4
04-27-2012, 09:18 AM
A wildly attractive woman wearing a White Sox jersey, rubbing on my leg. I'd question my allegiances for some moments... then snap out of it. :)

I think I'd suggest we slip into something more comfortable...and hand her a Twins jersey

gil4
04-27-2012, 09:23 AM
I became a fan in '71 or '72 (age 6 or 7). I survived from then through '86 (some pretty rough times for the Twins) while living halfway between Boston and NY. I'm sure I'll survive this.

Gernzy
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I cheer for all Minnesota teams. For me it has to do with pride. I love Minnesota and loving l being from here. When one of our teams does good, we can brag about it to people in other states. Even when we are losing I still watch. I enjoy when we get national attention because it seems like we don't get enough of it.

twinsnorth49
04-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Since July of last year I haven't bought tickets to any Twins games. I have gone to a couple, when the tickets were free. When watching from home I've been tending to flip the channel after the 3rd inning (usually because the Twins are down by several runs). I still consider myself a fan, but I've got no reason to dedicate time and money to a product that I don't feel is worth it. I'd say I'm a bandwagon fan, and I don't think anybody should be sorry for jumping off recently.

That's one of the most honest posts I've ever read here and probably represents most of society. Professional sports, especially ones that play long schedules and play in large stadiums are, if you think about it, dependent on the bandwagon fan. Most fans don't represent what the majority of fans on this site represent, the ones who revel in every movement of the game, the strategies, the rivalries, the highs of winning, the lows of losing and of course the pure enjoyment derived from second guessing management as if we know better.

Most fans enjoy baseball but don't immerse themselves so much into the game as to really care what impacts winning or losing on a micro level, they enjoy home runs, they enjoy great catches, they enjoy the atmosphere and comraderie of being with friends and family and they particularly enjoy winning. You don't need to think about what constitutes great baseball as long as your team is winning, the proof is already their on the scoreboard, why look further than that. Winning begets watching and when any team in any sport is on a roll a far greater number of people that what normally constitutes the loyalists get swept up in the excitement,that's a good thing.

NFL football in some cities may be an exception, but not all. Playing only 8 home games plays a role in that however, high demand, low inventory is a good way to maintain interest. Hockey in Canada is an exception, but being from there I can attest that the reasons for it are, there really isn't anything else to do in winter and well, it's hockey and it's Canada. Hockey in the US is most certainly a bandwagon sport, win and everyone loves hockey and always did, full arenas, same for basketball and the same for baseball, winning is exciting, contagious and most of all, fun.

Those fans sitting in the park in September with their team 20 games out of 1st place and playing minor league call-ups for a look-see, that's us and the majority are not like us, that doesn't mean the rest aren't welcome to join when and how they see fit, we need them to.

glunn
04-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Well said Twinsnorth.

I have been a fan since 1965, and only death or dementia can change that. But I also respect the fans who look away when the team is performing poorly.

It seems to me that the major problem this year is poor starting pitching. The hitting has been better than I expected, and the defense seems (barely) adequate.

If the pitching could just get to league average, and if Morneau and Valencia can break out, there could be a lot of wins. Span, Mauer and Willingham are all already off to decent starts and could do better...

I guess one sign of a "die hard" fan is that he/she is always thinking of a scenario where the team can still make the playoffs. I have not yet given up. If Liriano can work out his issues, if Pavano can increase his velocity, if Blackburn can pitch like he did in spring training, if Hendricks can gain more confidence and Marquis can have a miracle year, we could still make the playoffs.

Ultima Ratio
04-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I think I'd suggest we slip into something more comfortable...and hand her a Twins jersey

Haha... that would certainly would be more comfortable... haha! :)

twinzgrl
04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
I've been a fan since 61 when my dad took me to my first game at the old Met. I can still smell the brats and see the cardboard megaphones filled with popcorn. Harmon, Tony, Zoilo....loved those guys! But, I've loved them all, winners, losers, champs, cellar dwellers...it is my addiction. I tell my kids that when they visit my grave after I die, to please leave a Twin's schedule. Do they frustrate the heck out of me at times--absolutely!! But, I watch or listen to every game anyway. GO TWINS!!

Dilligaf69
04-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Always a Twins fan....ALWAYS! but I won't get the MLB pkg this yr and halfway thru last I cancelled. I want them to win and follow gameday or the box score every day but my expectations are very low right now so I don't take the losses as hard when i don't expect them to win.

mike wants wins
04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Still a fan, but I find myself spending more time here and listening gleeman and the geek than listening to games right now. Taking them off "free" tv is a huge mistake for keeping fans like me watching. Also, I find it hard to believe I'd pay real money to see a game this year. No chance I pay full price this year. Too many other ways for me to spend time, than 3-4 hours dedicated to driving, sitting, and watching, and driving home.

powrwrap
04-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I'll always be a Twins fan. I love baseball and they are my hometown team. But lately it's been the death of a thousand cuts. Watching Torii go was hurtful. Trading Santana was a painful one. Garza/Bartlett for Delmon/Brendan left scars. I'm kind of losing enthusiasm. Last year's team basically phoned it in almost every game. There's nothing to get excited about. This team is going to be dreadful for years. It's the mid-90's all over again.

drbob524
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Since I got a Twins tattoo for a graduation present to myself, I would have to say it would take laser removal to make me not a fan. Living out of the TC (and MN) for the past 5 years made me realize how big of a fan I am. It takes time to follow a team out of its home region (obviously easier now than pre-internet). I dont remember much of the '87 series (I was 3) but I remember the joy of '91. But I think having my formidable years during the 90s actually made me a bigger fan, because you know how bad it can get, and makes the last ~10 years feel that much better.
On a side note, there's a great book "Baseball and Philosophy" that asks a similar question, when is it acceptable for fans to no longer be fans. The author concludes it is acceptable ONLY when the team engages in illegal or immoral behavior (ie. 1919 Black Sox), but not because of losing or incompetence.

TheMix
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Dang, I really love the way this thread has panned out for the most part. So delightful to see the reminiscent posts.

I follow a certain blog's facebook account on twitter...this is someone I don't think I've seen post here at all, but it's really troublesome to see their posts. It almost seems like they revel in loathing the team that they claim to be fans of. They get so cynical that it's almost enough to prompt some existential crisis of faith. What's the point? I mean if that's what drives you, to be unrelentingly cynical, then I guess that's your right, but why? They ask for changes nearly every day, regardless of wins or losses, and I get the sense that even if changes WERE to be made, they'd find a way to hate them. They called for the firing of Bill Smith, that happened, and they got angry of the re-hiring of Terry Ryan, despite the fact that he presided over one of the most productive times in Twins history, and made one of the best trades (and, to be fair, one of the more poor) in Twins history. So it confuses me as to why these people still watch, or read, or care at all. If you're going to hate, win or lose, what's the point?

That said, there is nothing in the scope of what is truly imaginable to make me think of losing my Twins allegiance at this point. What I can say about myself is that I'm a fan that's currently dawning a Twins cap, working for a very meager wage at Minnesota-born franchise in the city of Austin, TX. Yet I still retain an MLB.tv subscription so that I may watch bits of nearly every single game while on smoke breaks (yes, I'm that guy) or while slicing up deli meats at work, despite the fact that they nearly lost 100 games last year. I shelled out $50 on a whim to go see game 162 last year and cheered every second of that game while shouting vehemently at the guy behind me that chose to spend the bulk of the game shouting obscenities at Danny Valencia (who actually did decent defensively that game). I was at Metrodome in a large suite with Jack Morris and other fans for the Game 162 when the entire stadium waited with the team to see the result of a different game to find out that they had won the division. I was there when Chuck Knoblauch made his not so triumphant return to the Metrodome when my rowdy college cohorts in the home run porch deemed it appropriate to sling any and all pieces of litter at him, and TK had to come out and calm them down. I took full advantage of dollar dog nights, consuming, at my peak, 7 1/2 hot dogs in one sitting. And I once went to a game where a belligerent fan took it upon himself to taunt Coco Crisp by shouting "You got nothin Crips! (he really did say "Crips") Face on a cereal box, Crips!" With all those memories cemented in my mind, not even counting the WS wins, there is nothing that could conceivably tear my mind away from them.

I live in Texas now, so with our team waning, it does give me the opportunity to also root for my new hometown team, the Rangers and their Twin associated coach. But, rest assured, when they play each other, I'm pulling for the Twins no matter what. And I see other ways in which to be optimistic. A week and a half ago I was calling up a friend in Minnesota at 2 am (he's the manager of the Happy Gnome, so he was still up) to tell him that Miguel Sano had a stratospheric 1.200+ OPS. We may not be doing well right now, but barring some very bad sequence of events in the next 3 years (just knocked on wood), we will still have a catcher that's nearly certain to have an average over .300 that hits gaps fairly efficiently, and hopefully a third baseman that's tearing the snot out of the ball, a shortstop or second baseman that's also doing the same, an outfield that will cover a ton of ground, whatever this year's #2 pick is, and presuming this year is going where it looks to be going, another top 5 pick coming up through the system. Even if I can't watch this team win every night, I can look toward the future with a fair amount of optimism.

glunn
04-30-2012, 11:45 PM
Mix, you are a true fan. What's it like wearing your Twins gear when you go to games in Texas? Are the Rangers fans tolerant?

TheMix
05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
I haven't been to a game down here yet (only been here 2 months), but I would assume they're tolerant. There's a quasi-Minnesota-nice vibe down here, which means they're nice about almost everything, except gay people and not going to church ;) I think almost every fans are tolerant. I've been to Fenway, and they gave me some crap for about 5 innings, then realized I could take it and invited me out for beers down in South-E. And I didn't even get murdered, so I think that's an accomplishment. When I do go to a game down here (which I think will be in August) I will most proudly don my Twins apparel, just as I have in the other visitors' stadiums I've been to. Btw, anyone that hasn't been to PNC Park, go....now.

ChuckkJay
05-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I applaud all of you who vigilantly watch/listen/gameday every single game. That's awesome. I always consider myself a huge Twins fan. I was a senior in high school in '87 and we went to a zillion games that spring and summer. Alas, I moved to Cali in September of '87. With no money for return flights to see the games in October.

In '91 I was in college in Madison. Didn't need as much $$ to drive four hours back to MN to watch the games in person ... but, being a college student, money was still short and was largely spent on cold beverages while watching the games on TV. I have crystal clear memories of Kirby's Krush (in a bar), and Jack's Gem (solo in my girlfriend's apartment because I refused to watch it with anyone lest I be distracted. She had a nicer TV so I made her leave for the whole game).

I live in Denver and, sadly, have only been to two games at Target Field. Sadly, they were the first and last playoff games at that field so far, which we lost and in which the home fans were as full of energy as a plate of cold fish. (Sorry, that's my story, I'm sticking to it, and I've ranted about it here before).

I can't watch/listen/gameday every single game. I guess I could, but I don't. I don't view that as detracting from my fandom; but I sure am impressed by all of you who do. I will say though that I've remained a staunch Twins supporter among my buddies, which is challenging. I'm friends with a number of hardcore Boston and Wisconsin fans. Think about that. As a Vikings and Twins fan, I've taken a LOT OF HEAT in the last ten years from those guys.

Miles
05-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Three things would change my love for the Twins:
1. Contraction of the team
2. Relocation of the franchise
3. My death

That's about it!

Thrylos
05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Three things would change my love for the Twins:
1. Contraction of the team
2. Relocation of the franchise
3. My death

That's about it!

I can see 1 and 3 :) , but since you live in FL, why would you care about relocation? Not that the Twins will relocate any time soon. I do intend to still be a fan of the other major Minnesota team, even though the locals are running it out of town...

whydidnt
05-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I was going to post that their isn't anything that could get me to question my fandom...until the really strange roster moves the Twins seem to keep making. I'm actually putting off getting tickets to some upcoming games until I see how things shake out, but I'm having a difficult time financially supporting a team that seems to have a death wish. I think it may be like giving an alcoholic a litre of Vodka as a Birthday Present.

CDog
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I haven't been to a game down here yet (only been here 2 months), but I would assume they're tolerant. There's a quasi-Minnesota-nice vibe down here, which means they're nice about almost everything, except gay people and not going to church ;) I think almost every fans are tolerant. I've been to Fenway, and they gave me some crap for about 5 innings, then realized I could take it and invited me out for beers down in South-E. And I didn't even get murdered, so I think that's an accomplishment. When I do go to a game down here (which I think will be in August) I will most proudly don my Twins apparel, just as I have in the other visitors' stadiums I've been to. Btw, anyone that hasn't been to PNC Park, go....now.

Agreed that most fans are pretty tolerant of gear. I've been to games all over (including two Twins games in Arlington), and almost never had an issue. Old Yankee Stadium was the lone exception and that was probably an isolated incident as our group was large and included one knucklehead with little man's syndrome that flares up especially when he's drinking, and we were seated near a group with a wannabe tough guy. The mix was a little combustible, but there still was no real incident. And the young kid in a Red Sox hat nearby took more abuse than we did. I think most of the "out of town" fan incidents at least partly involve behavior as the instigating factor more than just wearing a cap or a jersey (not saying that condones a home retaliation, just that it can lead to one). OK...sorry...back to the topic...

CDog
05-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I was going to post that their isn't anything that could get me to question my fandom...until the really strange roster moves the Twins seem to keep making. I'm actually putting off getting tickets to some upcoming games until I see how things shake out, but I'm having a difficult time financially supporting a team that seems to have a death wish. I think it may be like giving an alcoholic a litre of Vodka as a Birthday Present.

This came off a little bit like, "I'd never sell my dog for any price in the world! Oh...wait...a hundred bucks? Done."

glunn
05-01-2012, 11:18 PM
This came off a little bit like, "I'd never sell my dog for any price in the world! Oh...wait...a hundred bucks? Done."

It seemed that tonight that the Twins were not trying very hard -- like they gave up early and just wanted to go home. So I might sell my dog if he kept deliberately urinating in my shoes. I watched almost all the games last year, despite the terrible play, but it's especially painful when it seems like the players are not trying.

twinsnorth49
05-01-2012, 11:33 PM
It seemed that tonight that the Twins were not trying very hard -- like they gave up early and just wanted to go home. So I might sell my dog if he kept deliberately urinating in my shoes. I watched almost all the games last year, despite the terrible play, but it's especially painful when it seems like the players are not trying.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. I just think Williams had them frustrated, it happens.

glunn
05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. I just think Williams had them frustrated, it happens.

Others may disagree, but it looked to me like there was not much energy, and like the hitters were not making much effort to focus at the plate. And when they made outs, they did not seem very disappointed. Maybe I am just projecting my own frustration.

tobynotjason
05-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I was a huge Twins fan as a kid, but also sometimes glanced at the Pirates' box scores on accounta family ties. I came back to baseball six-ish years ago (after a good decade and a half of following no sports other than, occasionally, mma and football/soccer) as a fan of the sport in general first, the Twins second. Really, I just realized how much I enjoyed watching ANY major league baseball game, regardless of rooting interest. But the Twins were certainly the no-question-about-it hook to hang my baseball-in-general hat on.

Approaching the game more analytically - or at least with far better tools, for obvious reasons - than I did as a 10 year old, and with an admittedly jaded worldview and time-heightened loathing of yah-you-betcha mainstream Minnesota culture, it was probably inevitable that my would-be Twins fandom renaissance didn't stride unproblematically onward. Indeed, the Pirates supplanted them as my first rooting interest a couple years ago. They're currently run in a less... frustrating manner and don't continually insult me with a unique brand of organizational kool aid marketing, but I also wonder if it's not in part because they my face isn't constantly rubbed the wrong way by their "average" fans by dint of geography. It doesn't hurt that two decades of failure mean Pirates forums like these are populated by relatively knowledgeable diehards. (For similar reasons, I tend to enjoy reading the banter on Royals boards more than on Twins boards. Those are tendencies, not rigid laws. There's good stuff and bad stuff everywhere.)

Regardless, while I spend as much or more time watching and thinking about the Pirates, I doubt I'll ever have the emotional connection with any baseball team most fans seem to have. It just doesn't carry over into my real life. When I see people crying over losses or totally losing their **** over a win, I don't fully get it. It's only entertainment, and while I can get caught up in a game while it's happening, when it's over it just doesn't affect me.

That said, enough of me will always remember what it was like to love the Twins in the 80's that I doubt I'll ever actually stop following them. If they ever totally reengineer the field staff and front office and for the love of god fire dicknbert, who knows? Maybe my gut will kick back in in an unexpected fashion.

glunn
05-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I was at the game tonight and felt like a Cubs fan -- waiting for a first hit that never came.

I took my wife, who does not follow baseball. She likes the food, the atmosphere and the people watching. She asked me if the Twins have been this bad all year. When I said yes, she asked how I can watch all the games on TV.

We left after the middle of the 8th inning. I did not want to witness the celebration of what looked like an almost certain no hitter.

I was at Game 5 of the AL championship series in 2002, and had to endure Adam Kennedy hitting three home runs, and the Angels jubilation at winning the AL championship. I still get depressed when I remember how bad they beat us that day.

When your team gets totally slaughtered, it is painful. And I would like to roast that stinking rally monkey on my grill and feed him to my dog. But I remain hopeful that next year the Twins will be a lot better.