Offeason Live Replay: Starting Pitcher Free Agent Targets
The Twins have three starters at the top of their 2021 rotation that are locks. Kenta Maeda, Jose Berrios and Michael Pineda are an exciting trio for the Twins. Maeda was the Twins Daily choice for both Best Pitcher and MVPof the 2020 Twins. Berrios is a two-time All Star, and Pineda returned late in 2020 to the form we saw before his suspension a year earlier.
Randy Dobnak was fantastic through the first five or six weeks of the 2020 season before struggling late in the year. Lewis Thorpe and Devin Smeltzer both pitched in bullpen roles in 2020 after encouraging debuts in 2019. And pitching prospects such as Jhoan Duran, Jordan Balazovic, Dakota Chalmers may be ready sometime in 2021, and pitchers like Blayne Enlow and Matt Canterino could soon follow.
With that as the backdrop, how active do you think the Twins should be in searching for a free agent starting pitcher? Who are some of your favorites for the Twins to consider in free agency over the coming months?
Thursday night, I was joined via live-stream by Nate Palmer and Tom Froemming to discuss several options for the Twins to consider in free agency. Each of us brought a few candidates to the discussion table and argued about each. We shared many of your thoughts as well.
You can tune into future live broadcasts via Twins Daily's Twitter, Facebook, or YouTube page. It'll be an interactive show where viewers help steer the conversation via comments and questions. You'll also be able to watch the replay tomorrow here on the site, or via audio by subscribing to our podcast.
Who are the names to watch in free agency this year? Watch and find out.
In the meantime, check out previous episodes of Offseason Live and see what's upcoming:
- Ep 1: Twins Offseason Jeopardy! (Thurs, 10/8)
- Ep 2: Projecting the Twins’ 2021 Payroll (Tues, 10/13)
- Ep 3: Stay or Go? Twins Impending Free Agents (Thurs, 10/15)
- Ep 4: Twins Arbitration Decisions (Tues, 10/20)
- Ep 5: Free Agency – Catchers & Infield (Thurs, 10/22)
- Ep 6: Free Agency – Outfield & DH (Tues, 10/27)
- Ep 7: Free Agency – Starting Pitchers (Thurs, 10/29)
- Ep 8: Free Agency – Relief Pitchers (Thurs, 11/5)
- Ep 9: Twins Trade Targets (Tues, 11/10)
- Ep 10: Offseason Blueprints (Thurs, 11/12)