Minnesota Twins Season Simulation: May
Image courtesy of © Jordan Johnson-USA TODAY SportsWe have made it through two months of the Twins 2020 season. The Twins continued on their hot start in May with a 19-win month to try to stay at the top of the division. This month had a few injuries and roster moves than the first month so let's see how everything went for the Twins.
Today’s post will feature how the Twins did in May.
Roster moves throughout the month:
- 5/15: Cody Stashak called up. Cody Gearrin sent down.
- 5/17: Zack Littell called up. Devin Smeltzer sent down.
- 5/24: Max Kepler injured (torn calf, 1-2 months). Jimmy Kerrigan called up.
- Twins: 42-18
- Indians: 38-22 (4.0 GB)
- White Sox: 29-31 (13.0 GB)
- Royals: 27-33 (15.0 GB)
- Tigers: 20-39 (21.5 GB)
- Buxton: .233/.293/.348 (.640), 1 HR, 15 RBI, 0.7 WAR
- Polanco: .326/.399/.552 (.952), 9 HR, 22 RBI, 2.4 WAR
- Arraez: .332/.397/.478 (.875), 8 HR, 23 RBI, 2.0 WAR
- Cruz: .295/.377/.530 (.907), 14 HR, 39 RBI, 1.6 WAR
- Donaldson: .236/.336/.432 (.768), 9 HR, 23 RBI, 1.5 WAR
- Garver: .259/.314/.523 (.837), 14 HR, 31 RBI, 2.1 WAR
- Rosario: .299/.322/.567 (.889), 13 HR, 33 RBI, 1.5 WAR
- Sano: .277/.357/.630 (.987), 17 HR, 42 RBI, 2.2 WAR
- Gonzalez: .268/.343/.417 (.760), 5 HR, 13 RBI 1.3 WAR
- Kepler (injured): .327/.415/.574 (.989), 9 HR, 23 RBI, 2.0 WAR
The four players on the bench to finish the month were Alex Avila, Ehire Adrianza, Willians Astudillo, and Jimmy Kerrigan to replace Kepler. Kerrigan is just 1-for-7 for far, but Avila, Adrianza, and La Tortuga are all hitting above .255 and doing their jobs well.
May rotation with end of the month statistics:
- Jose Berrios: 6-3, 3.49 ERA, 8.84 K/9, 3.59 BB/9, 0.8 WAR
- Kenta Maeda: 5-1, 3.03 ERA, 8.11 K/9, 1.45 BB/9, 1.8 WAR
- Jake Odorizzi: 4-3, 5.19 ERA, 7.71 K/9, 3.56 BB/9, 0.0 WAR
- Rich Hill: 5-3, 3.09 ERA, 9.90 K/9, 2.96 BB/9, 1.3 WAR
- Randy Dobnak: 5-2, 3.41 ERA, 6.52 K/9, 3.26 BB/9, 0.8 WAR
The bullpen at the end of May consisted of Taylor Rogers, Tyler Duffey, Tyler Clippard, Trevor May, Sergio Romo, and new additions Stashak, Littell, and Bailey was moved there from the rotation. Everyone is performing well, except for Clippard and his 9.82 ERA, so far this season. Littell was called up in the middle of May and has not allowed a run in 13 ⅔ innings. Rogers has 19 saves.
May summary for the Twins:
The Twins had their second straight excellent month, going 19-10 after a 23-8 April. Pretty much every team in the AL Central saw the same slight dip as the Twins maintained their lead in the division. At the end of May, the Twins have the best win% in baseball. The team also ranks 1st in AVG, home runs, and SLG%.
Byron Buxton and Josh Donaldson have not put it together so far and the Twins will need those two to step it up if they want to make noise this year. Luckily Sano and Rosario have picked it up and are helping lead this team. The Kepler injury hurts, and Kerrigan wasn’t who I expected to be called up. Expect Max back in early July.
On the pitching side, Berrios and Maeda have led the rotation but Berrios has a scary 4.38 FIP and isn’t striking many out. Maeda on the other hand is having an excellent season that should continue. Odorizzi had an awful first month but was able to start bringing his stats back down in May. Smeltzer was replaced by Dobnak and that is looking like a great move. Rich Hill came off the IL this month and is performing already.
Around MLB: Division leaders
- ALC: Twins (23-8)
- ALW: Astros (34-26)
- ALE: Red Sox (39-22)
- ALWC: Indians (22-11), Yankees (37-23)
- NLC: Cubs (38-22)
- NLW: Dodgers (39-19)
- NLE: Nationals (34-24)
- NLWC: Brewers (36-23), Marlins (34-26)
- AVG AL/NL: Trout (.404), Avisail Garcia (.347)
- OBP AL/NL: Trout (.488), Goldschmidt (.445)
- SLG AL/NL: Trout (.865), Schwarber (.728)
- HR AL/NL: J.D. Martinez (21), Schwarber (22)
- ERA AL/NL: H. Bailey (1.62 lol), Kershaw (1.55)
- SO AL/NL: Cole (112), Scherzer (110)
- SP: Cole, Kershaw
- CP: Givens, Iglesias (Rogers 2nd)
- C: Sanchez, Suzuki (Garver 2nd)
- 1B: Olson, Goldschmidt (Sano 4th)
- 2B: LeMahieu, Albies (Arraez 3rd)
- 3B: Ramirez, E. Escobar (Donaldson 9th)
- SS: Bogaerts, Segura (Polanco 5th)
- LF: Martinez, Schwarber (Rosario 4th)
- CF: Trout, Acuna Jr. (Buxton 9th)
- RF: Reyes, Betts (Cruz 2nd, Kepler 4th)
MORE FROM TWINS DAILY
— Latest Twins coverage from our writers
— Recent Twins discussion in our forums
— Follow Twins Daily via Twitter, Facebook or email