Twins Minor League Hitter Of The Month - August 2018
- Luis Arraez - Chattanooga Lookouts - 28-81, .346/.393/.444 (.838) with two doubles and two homers.
- Colton Burns - Elizabethton Twins - 16-51, .314/.435/.627 (1.063) with four doubles and four home runs.
- Trevor Casanova - Elizabethton Twins - 19-52, .365/.397/.577 (.973) with five doubles, two homers, seven RBIs.
- Trevor Larnach - Elizabethton Twins/Cedar Rapids Kernels - 30-105, .286/.364/.476 (.841), nine doubles, one triple, three homers, 12 RBIs.
- Luke Raley - Chattanooga Lookouts - 23-84, .274/.382/.440 (.823) with one double, two triples, three homers and 13 RBI.
- Ben Rodriguez - Cedar Rapids Kernels - 24-91, .264/.358/.462 (.819) with ten doubles, one triple, two homers and 20 RBIs.
- Ben Rortvedt - Ft. Myers Miracle - 16-56, .286/.344/.464 (.809) with five doubles, one triple, one homer and ten RBIs.
THE TOP FOUR HITTERS
Number 4 – Chattanooga Lookouts - Jaylin Davis - .290/.368/.473 (.841). 27-93 with five doubles, four home runs and 15 RBIs.
2018 has been a year of improvement for Jaylin Davis. He has dropped his strikeout rate some and increased his walk rate. He has successfully moved from High-A to Double-A. In the final week of August, Davis learned that he would be representing the Twins in the Arizona Fall League. While Davis is not a big man, he is incredibly strong and full of power potential. He will need to continue showing plate discipline and strike zone judgment, but he’s put himself in a good situation going into 2019.
Number 3 - Cedar Rapids Kernels – 2B Michael Helman - .367/.407/.510 (.918), 36-98 with six doubles, one triple, two homers and 14 RBIs.
The Twins were excited that Helman, a shortstop from Texas A&M, was available when they made their first pick on Day 3 of June’s draft. Since signing officially on the final day, he has primarily played second base. He has also been hitting pretty much from the start. In 12 games in Elizabethton, he hit .375. In 26 games with the Kernels, he has hit .359. Over his final seven games of the month, he hit .429 (12-for-28) with three doubles and a homer. He had 12 multi-hit games in 24 games played during the month including his first three (and four of his first five) of the month after being promoted.
Number 2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels – SS Michael Davis - .289/.312/.578 (.890), 26-90 with six doubles, one triple, six homers and 21 RBIs.
With how quickly Davis has adjusted to pro ball and life in the Midwest League, one can’t help but wonder how it is possible that Michael Davis was available to the Twins in the 24th round of this year’s draft. After just three games in Elizabethton, Davis was promoted to Cedar Rapids where he hasn’t missed a beat. While it could potentially be hard to maintain success with the 31 strikeouts/3 walk ratio he had in August, when you produce the kind of power he produced, it can be very impressive. Not only that, but he’s playing a solid shortstop as well. Over his final seven games of the month, Davis hit .519 (14-for-27) with a double, triple, homer and 15 RBIs, helping the Kernels earn their 2nd half division title.
And the Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month is:
Ft. Myers Miracle – OF Alex Kirilloff - .351/.387/.550 (.936), 39-111 with ten doubles, four homers and 16 RBIs.
Kirilloff put together one of the best seasons in recent Twins minor league history. He was our choice for Minor League Hitter of the Month in May and now again in August. Interestingly, Kirilloff’s OPS for the month of August was under 1.000 for the first time since April. But he led the Miracle to a playoff berth on the last day of the season. He continued to provide doubles and added more home runs during the month than he had previously with the Miracle this year.
The former first-round pick finished his first full season of playing as a professional with 44 doubles, seven triples, 20 home runs and 101 RBIs.
We would like to congratulate Alex Kirilloff, Twins Daily’s choice for Minor League Hitter of the Month for August 2018. Feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions.
- dbminn, nclahammer and MN_ExPat like this