Game Thread: Twins v Rockies, 5/16 @ 7:10pm CT
1. Little Falls – Right in the middle of the state sits a town of 8,000 plus called Little Falls. Little Falls was voted, interestingly, as the most boring town in Minnesota. The 2nd most boring town in Minnesota is Chuckville located up in the boundary waters area. Chuckville has a population of 2, both residents are named Chuck and both are mimes. The Mississippi River travels through the town and it travels out of town just as quickly as it came. Little Falls is the boyhood home of Charles Lindbergh. Charles was the first person to fly across the Atlantic Ocean and he did so in a desperate attempt to escape Little Falls. If you are looking for something to do in Little Falls… good luck with that. Little Falls has always known that it lacks activities so it tried real hard to create something. After months of closed-room brainstorming they came up with the Greater Minnesota Two-Cylinder Club Annual Field Days, which instantly became the longest named event in world history. Every year many people swim upstream, jumping over the falls to attend this annual event. They watch an Antique Tractor Pull, check out the flea market and then they turn a bright red, fertilize their eggs and die. More people would attend this event if they were not eaten by bears along the way.
2. Our Twins – After winning the weekend series with the Indians in Cleveland, the Twins sit alone in first place in the AL Central. The Twins currently have a home run streak of 15 straight games and that is just 1 game away from the team record of 16 straight games set in 1979. If the Twins can hit home runs in the next two games… they will beat the record and Roy Smalley will be completely removed from all record books.
3. The Rockies – This team from Colorado can hit, they can play a little defense and this year… they have added some pitching to that mix. They have a difficult bullpen to navigate with Ottovino, Dunn and McGee setting up Greg Holland as the closer. It’s a good combination because the bats can get them a lead and the pen can hold it. The Twins should probably try to strike early… I’m not always certain that is what they are trying to do in some of the games I watch.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation
Montana: Hey Joe… Are you going to bring that picture back to me?
McCarthy: The picture back to you…
Mauer: What picture?
Montana: The original photo of “The Catch”. I loaned it to McCarthy last week for his photo exhibit.
Maddon: The Sports Illustrated Photo? You have the original?
Montana: Yes I do… Dwight Clark leaping high in the air in the final seconds to beat the Cowboys in 1982.
Mauer: I was born in 1983… that’s probably why I don’t remember it.
Maddon: How did that photo exhibition go? Did a lot of people attend?
McCarthy: Yeah… the place was packed… the photo was a big draw…
everything went great until the building burned down and everything was destroyed including all the photos.
Montana: Destroyed? It was destroyed? Do you have any idea what that picture was worth?
McCarthy: A thousand words?
5. Chess Set - I have a very unique chess set. I bought each piece one at a time and each of the 32 pieces comes from a different chess set. Not one chess piece is the same style. I bought them all at the Pawn Shop.
Charlie Blackmon CF
DJ LeMahieu 2B
Nolan Arenado 3B
Mark Reynolds DH
Carlos Gonzalez RF
Ian Desmond 1B
Gerardo Parra LF
Pat Valaika SS
Tony Wolters C
Kyle Freeland P
Brian Dozier 2B
Robbie Grossman RF
Miguel Sano 3B
Kennys Vargas 1B
Eduardo Escobar DH
Jorge Polanco SS
Jason Castro C
Byron Buxton CF
Eddie Rosario LF
Phil Hughes P
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 80 deg, wind at 11mph from the SW, but dying down; should get the game in before the rains come, but tomorrow could be a different story.
- Blake, gocgo and David HK like this