Game Thread: Twins v Indians, 6/16@7:10pm CT
1. Grand Forks – A city of around 53,000 people... Grand Forks, North Dakota is a suburb of East Grand Forks, Minnesota. The city got its name by popular vote. A list of three possible city names was created after much deliberation, with the majority of voters favoring Grand Forks. The other choices for consideration were Wonderful Knives and Fantastic Spoons. Grand Forks was where the block heater was invented. A man by the name of Andrew Freeman created it after discovering that his car wouldn’t start in subzero temperatures. His invention solved that problem but it failed to solve the problem that people still didn’t want to go anywhere in subzero temperatures even if the car was now able to take them somewhere. Grand Forks produced a few famous people… the Zen Master Phil Jackson, former Arizona basketball coach Lute Olson, many NHL Hockey players and noted Twins Fan Riverbrian.
2. Our Twins – There has been a slight shift in who we rely on lately. Joe Mauer, Miguel Sano and Max Kepler have been slumping lately but it hasn’t sunk the Twins because Eduardo Escobar, Byron Buxton and Eddie Rosario have risen up to replace their production and the Twins haven’t missed a beat as they have maintained their lead in the AL Central. This is a big series against the Indians… 4 games in 3 days and a 2 game difference in a battle for 1 place on top of the Central. That was a countdown… and something somewhere… just exploded… I don’t know what or where… but it happened.
3. The Indians – It’s called a World Series hangover and the Indians are possibly suffering from it. Here’s how it works… teams that reach the World Series expend so much energy getting there that they have nothing left for the following season. It happened to the Twins in 1992 and every subsequent year after that.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation
Mauer: Here comes Joe… hey, Joe, we’ve been waiting for you.
Montana: I am hungry
McCarthy: What kind of sandwiches did you bring?
Maddon: I brought… Ta Da… tuna fish!
Mauer: Awesome… with those bits of celery? Chopped eggs?
Maddon: Yep… with some lemon juice and relish mixed in.
Montana: Tuna… fish? Why does 'tuna' get 'fish' after it?
McCarthy: Because it is fish… pretty simple to explain.
Montana: OK… I was hoping for a steak cow sandwich or a chicken bird
sandwich… Am I saying those right?
5. Italian Hospitals – A friend of mine got injured pretty badly while visiting Rome. He’s okay and back home now but it was an interesting story that he told. For example… in a Roman hospital… they don’t use IV’s… They use 4’s.
Jason Kipnis(L) 2B
Daniel Robertson® LF
Francisco Lindor(S) SS
Edwin Encarnacion® DH
Jose Ramirez(S) 3B
Carlos Santana(S) 1B
Yan Gomes® C
Lonnie Chisenhall(L) RF
Austin Jackson® CF
Carlos Carrasco P
Brian Dozier® 2B
Robbie Grossman(S) DH
Joe Mauer(L) 1B
Miguel Sano® 3B
Max Kepler(L) RF
Jorge Polanco(S) SS
Jason Castro(L) C
Byron Buxton® CF
Eddie Rosario(L) LF
Nik Turley P
Weather: I'm in the TC for 12 hours. What I am experiencing is warm, humid and gray. I don't think it'll pour game-postponing rain, doesn't feel like it, but it might intermittently sprinkle.
- Blake, Broker and wsnydes like this