Game Thread: Twins v Brewers, 8/7@7:10pm CT
1. Superior – There isn’t a single place in Minnesota that has more Brewers fans than Twins fans. However, there are places in Wisconsin that have more Twins fans than Brewer fans, and Superior is one of those places. Welcome to Twins Territory in the state of Wisconsin. Superior along with Duluth are the twin ports and are connected by two bridges, the Bong and the Blatnik. I don’t have a joke but I’m imagining someone on their cell phone explaining that he or she is on the Bong and should be home soon. According to the dictionary, to be 'superior' you must be higher in rank, status or quality. I researched this by checking every single city ranking ever put out in the history of published rankings and Superior is not in the top spot in any of them. The closest they came was a 3rd place ranking in cities with the most people who smell funny per capita. Still, the ladies come to Superior in large numbers looking for a Superior Man. They are looking in the wrong place because I live elsewhere.
2. Our Twins – The Twins hit 3 home runs yesterday and even after careful consideration of that power outburst, I can’t help but say… call up Kennys Vargas immediately! Or Byung Ho Park! Or Daniel Palka! Or Mitch Garver, if he is that guy? Or trade for Aaron Judge! Or bring Dave Kingman out of retirement. With Sano out of the lineup on Saturday we had Chris Gimenez batting cleanup and Adrianaza playing 1B, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that being reduced to a single power threat at the very top of the lineup isn’t enough, especially in this day and age. The 1985 Royals didn’t have a ton of power and won a title, however, they had Steve Balboni to join George Brett and Frank White. We got Balboni in the minors, Brett injured and this leaves Frank White batting leadoff for the 2017 Twins. That isn’t enough power to electrocute a small rodent.
3. The Brewers – Hats off to the Brewers! They are young and they are exciting and I don’t think it’s fair to discount them because nobody predicted them before the season began. They've got speed, power, defense and they are getting some pitching, so let’s give them the respect they deserve. I listen to MLB radio frequently and I heard Casey Stern declare the Brewers “a legit contender” to begin July; and I heard the same Casey Stern say that the Brewers were never legit after the Cubs reeled off a winning streak to pass the Brewers toward the end of July. The Brewers are currently a half game back. I don’t know what to think about that, so I’ll have to tune into Casey Stern so I can find out today’s opinion on the Brewers.
4. Today’s Joe M Conversation:
Maddon: I’m going to the freezer to get some ice cream… anybody want some?
Montana: None for me… I usually eat it too fast and I don’t like the headaches.
Mauer: My wife won’t let me have any. I’ll pass.
McCarthy: None for me either.
Morgan: I’ll take some. I’d like Vanilla… do you need to write that down?
Maddon: No… I got it… vanilla ice cream. Easy enough.
Morgan: And strawberries… can you put some strawberries on top?
Maddon: Ok… we got strawberries… I can do that.
Morgan: Do you need to write that down? Can I get you a notepad?
Maddon: No… I got it… vanilla ice cream with strawberries on top.
Morgan: And whipped cream!
Maddon: OK… I can do that.
Morgan: Will you remember?
Maddon: I got it… I got it… I got it… vanilla, strawberries and whipped cream… I got it... now will you let me go get it? I’ll be right back.
(Time goes by and Maddon returns with a plate of bacon and eggs.)
Maddon: Here ya go
Morgan: You forgot the toast.
5. Keep an open mind – I have always considered new ideas. I told my wife that I have always been very open minded and she agreed with me. She also thinks it a plausible explanation for how my brain fell out.
Domingo Santana RF
Ryan Braun LF
Travis Shaw 3B
Jesus Aguilar DH
Eric Thames 1B
Hernan Perez 2B
Orlando Arcia SS
Keon Broxton CF
Andrew Susac C
Brent Suter P
Brian Dozier 2B
Joe Mauer 1B
Robbie Grossman RF
Eduardo Escobar DH
Eddie Rosario LF
Byron Buxton CF
Ehire Adrianza 3B
Jason Castro C
Jorge Polanco SS
Weather: Looks like nice night for baseball!
- jimbo92107, Circus Boy, DocBauer and 7 others like this